Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 18 Apr 2013

By on 04/19/2013

With all of the dedicated Full Throttle construction coverage lately, I haven’t provided a Six Flags Magic Mountain trip report in quite some time. Now that the installation of the Full Throttle track is complete, I thought I’d provide a more general overview of what else is going on in the park. This Magic Mountain trip report is from April 18, 2013.

The first thing you notice as soon as you step into the Six Flags Plaza is that all six flags are flying at half mast, presumably due to the recent tragedy in Boston:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I also noticed that the massive flag at the top of the Sky Tower was also at half mast, but I didn’t get a shot of that.

As I made my way towards DC Universe, I noticed that Pistachio Park was back open again. It had been temporarily closed and padlocked for an unknown reason:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

The giant planter box in front of DC Universe looks like it’s being prepped for some new flowers. They also had several new flowers, still in pots, lined up in front of Batman: The Ride ready to be planted there as well:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

The park was unbelievably dead today. I was in the Sky Tower probably close to an hour after the park opened and this is how many cars were in the parking lot:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I recently posted a picture on Facebook of the water in the wharf area looking very dirty or full of algae. I couldn’t help but notice that the water in the Jet Stream reservoir looks very dark as well. I’m not sure what’s going on there, but it sure doesn’t look good:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

On a related note, I walked down the back path underneath Jet Stream after I came down from the Sky Tower. As usual, it was leaking water as I passed underneath it. As I took a breath walking passed it, I was almost knocked out. My eyes started to water and my nose and throat immediately started burning. It was a complete shock to my system. I took a few steps away and tried to take another breath and again got nothing but chemicals. Now I was panicing and started to run down the hill. I finally got far enough away to get some clean air and started coughing. I noticed a security officer and another employee towards the bottom of the hill. I flagged them down and told them there was some sort of gas leak. They said not to worry about it, that they were just flushing Jet Stream with chlorine. I told them it smelled pretty serious and they should go check it out. It was almost as if they were running pure chlorine down the flume and it was leaking out all over the midway. Very nasty!

I went back to the park later in the afternoon with my son. As we were approaching that same area, I was explaining to him what had happened to me earlier. No sooner did I finish the story when the guy walking in front of us stopped an employee and told him that he smelled a gas leak. They both started looking around for the cause. I could still small it faintly, but it was no where near as striong as it was initially.

There really isn’t much visible change to Full Throttle as seen from above:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

The station looks the same as it did in my last Full Throttle update, however there has been some block work on what is assumed to be a ramp up to the loading station. If you look in the middle of the track, there appears to be another ramp being built. Somebody mentioned this would be the exit ramp, but I dismissed it based on information we received during the hard hat tour. It looks like I was wrong and he may have been correct after all:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

All of the lettering has been removed from the front of the old Palace Games building. I couldn’t see inside of it so I’m not sure if the interior work has started yet or not, but based on the open dumpster facing it full of debris, I assume that it has:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

From the open construction wall, it doesn’t look like much has happened, but there were a lot of people working hard on lots of less visible stuff:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I did spot Tim Burkhart, Six Flags’ VP of Maintenance and Construction, onsite and checking the progress of the build:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

There was a guy hanging about halfway up the interior of the loop, doing something. I’m not sure if he was going through tightening up bolts or what:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

From the ground, you can see that work continues on the launch track. You’ll also notice cables and winches attached to a couple of the support columns close to the turnaround. I can’t help but wonder if there is a clearance issue with the transfer track that is preventing it from joining the main track. Has anyone actually seen that last piece closed all the way? Perhaps they’re using the cables to spread open the gap a bit more so it will fit:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

This guy was using a very loud pneumatic drill to either tighten or loosen the track pieces. These are the same pieces with the cables attached above, so who knows what’s going on:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

On the backside of the hill, painters were putting fresh paint on the restored fence:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Lots of electrical conduit was being cut, shaped and installed in the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

A couple of days ago, the giant crane (Mr. Crane) used to install the Full Throttle track pieces was disassembled and hauled out on a large fleet of trucks:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I’m not sure what was going on here. A cameraman and another guy were walking around the park filming people, telling them they were making a TV show. There were no signs anywhere and nobody from the park was escorting them, including security, so I’m not sure if they were legit or if it was more of a black ops project. Kind of hard to be discrete with that camera:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I left the park around 1:00 pm and there really weren’t that many more cars in the parking lot than what I showed above. This is what the parking toll gate looked like when I left:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

All the trees in the front entry were getting a nice trim:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

If you can make a weekday trip to the park before school gets out for the year, I highly recommend it. The crowds are light and there are virtually no ride lines. The downside is that not everything is open because of the light crowds. It’s a vicious trade-off.

1. Gregg

04/19/2013 at 2:00 pm

Are they painting the entire fence heading up to Samurai Summit or just the new pieces? Would be nice if the entire fence got a nice re-paint/refurb.

That’s scary about Jet Stream. It’s needed a nice long rehab for awhile and that entire part of flume that goes from the first drop, over the walkway and heading to the last drop has been ripe for replacement for a LONG time. It’s really not that much to replace if you really think about it.

04/20/2013 at 8:14 pm

It looked they were repainting the entire fence section that they had removed, but I’m not sure if they were going to continue all the way up the hill. I had come from the bottom and wasn’t about to trek all the way up that hill! 😉

• Thomas

04/21/2013 at 12:19 pm

Knowing MM, they are only going to paint the new section.

2. zac

04/19/2013 at 2:02 pm

im pretty sure the planter in front of dc universe was purposely unplanted because the grad night stage goes over it.

04/20/2013 at 8:17 pm

That makes sense, but they’re still almost four weeks out from the start on 5/16. I know they have to assemble the stages, but this seems a bit early for that.

3. Matthew

04/19/2013 at 2:10 pm

Wow the park looks great

4. Ryan

04/19/2013 at 2:51 pm

Awesome report as usual Kurt. Am getting excited, I’m there in two weeks! Let’s hope the crowds stay that light!

What things do they close when it gets quiet like that?

04/20/2013 at 8:19 pm

I think it’s more a matter of them not opening things when it’s really slow, as opposed to closing them, to save on labor expenses. You should expect to see some rides, games, and food locations not open during the really slow days.

5. Ezra

04/19/2013 at 3:16 pm

Is it crowded on Fridays? I will be going next Friday and wondering if it would be crowded. One more thing, should I go on LLDOD?

04/20/2013 at 8:22 pm

During this part of the year, I don’t believe Fridays are that busy, unless there is some sort of special event planned. And yes, you should absolutely go on LLDOD. It’s an unbelievable view of the park, great adrenaline rush, and a smooth as butter drop and stop.

• Ezra

04/21/2013 at 9:50 pm

Ok I will try it. Thanks for the great update!

6. Likegreenlantern

04/19/2013 at 4:23 pm

I think I know what the camera crew were there for! They were propabally there shooting sone last minute film for Travel channels insane coaster war show. Earlier this year(2012 ish) I saw something about how they were filming tatsu and x2 over at the mountain of magic! I can’t remember if it was on here or another article. Anyway I fell sorry for the people of Boston. Also mabe they’re prepping the D.C area for a new attraction next year. Here at saga there taking the original Batman the Ride where yours is an acsact replica and turning it back words! They might do it to yours also! I read on your blog about in next year or so there is a possibility of a steel wood hybrid combination on colossus and how the park may on day turn one of the superman tracks forword again. Maby instead of getting a new coster next year they could change these exsisting rides into something better.

• James

04/19/2013 at 7:43 pm

Seriously dude, try spell check.
      It only takes a moment and it is much more pleasant for the reader.

As I read your comments, I assume you cannot spell or construct a sentence. It makes it very hard to take anything you say seriously.

• Casey

04/19/2013 at 8:11 pm

Hey,James,can you calm down please?We’re all friends here,so why can’t we just act like it? Sheesh…

• James

04/19/2013 at 8:45 pm

Perfectly calm here, thanks.

If its a typo, or 1 or 2 mistakes, i can understand, but this is just too painful.

It’s just bad forum/message board etiquette.

04/20/2013 at 8:27 pm

I was at the filming for both of those Insane Coaster Wars episodes, X2 and Tatsu. I did a blog post on the experience you can search for. They’re supposed to air sometime this summer. I hope I made it on camera at some point. I was right behind Jodi on X2 for a reshoot, so I might have gotten picked up as the seats rotated.

• Anon

04/21/2013 at 4:08 pm

Jodi. Is she the one with the insane x to x2 tattoo? Haha she is a very nice employee =)

04/21/2013 at 10:15 pm

That’s Jodi. She is indeed a nice, cool person.

7. Likegreenlantern

04/19/2013 at 4:24 pm

Wheea!!!!

8. Likegreenlantern

04/19/2013 at 4:33 pm

Stupid outo correct! It said saga instead of sfga. (For six flags great America)

• bejammin

04/20/2013 at 3:32 pm

Well thanks to auto correct in december millions of children are eagerly awaiting a visit from satan,

04/20/2013 at 8:28 pm

HA! That was funny. 😉

9. Webb, R

04/19/2013 at 4:53 pm

I had went to the park to use my free guest ticket from the coupon book this last Sunday. Thinking that Spring break crowds were over with. Boy was I wrong. Parking lot packed. Single trains running throughout the park. 1-1/2 hr wait for Scream.
    I wish my guest (who hasn’t been the there since Ninja was built) was able to experience the park on a slow day like yours. Left at 2pm and cars were looking for available spaces. Pretty miserable.

04/19/2013 at 5:10 pm

Any “bring a friend for free” that falls on a weekend is going to be an absolutely crowded day, regardless of the time of year.

10. Jimmy Tovar

04/19/2013 at 5:22 pm

Thanks for the update Kurt. I just think a lot of people are staying away from public, crowded places due to the recent events happening in Boston and around town. Its still fresh in peoples minds.

04/19/2013 at 5:31 pm

I meant to mention that in the update. It was quite obvious that the park had stepped up their security presence. There were security officers everywhere, starting with a couple posted outside the ticket booths, keeping a vigilant eye on everyone. It was comforting, but not so much that you felt like you were in a police state.

11. Michael

04/19/2013 at 5:36 pm

I was there on tuesday through thursday and there weren’t very many crowds except on superman. They should run both sides more often. But other than that it was super fun. Another thing, do you know why X2 was down on tuesday? I did also smell something awful when I was on Ninja when we were by the Jet Stream. Thanks for the update.

• Looper

04/19/2013 at 8:02 pm

Michael says:
      04/19/2013 at 5:36 pm

I was there on tuesday through thursday and there weren’t very many crowds except. Another thing, do you know why X2 was down on tuesday?

“Wasn’t it windy and cold as all heck on this past Tuesday with at least 10 rides being down?”

04/20/2013 at 8:30 pm

Looper is right. We’ve had several high wind advisories in the area lately, which will often times close rides such as Superman, Lex Luthor, X2, and Scream. Of course, the Sky Tower will close as well.

• Andrew T.

04/21/2013 at 1:28 am

Why Scream?

12. Thrill Capital Insider

04/19/2013 at 7:49 pm

I told you I was right about the exit ramp hahah 🙂

04/20/2013 at 8:31 pm

Yes you were! I couldn’t remember who had mentioned it, but it looks like you were absolutely right.

13. Arkhamar

04/19/2013 at 10:25 pm

Great update, the park is looking good…..except Jet Stream. Thanks CoasterGuy for bringing up the foul smell to SFMM personnel. This is something to be taken seriously given the recent devastating explosion of that fertilizer plant in Texas still fresh in my mind. I hope it was just the chlorine and Jet Stream gets cleaned up before the summer break 😉

14. M. Smith

04/20/2013 at 6:18 am

Hey I went on the same day you did Coaster Guy! But I saw the sky tower was closed, what time did you go? I went to see if sky tower was open around 2 pm but it wasn’t, it was kind of windy that time.

• Likegreenlantern

04/20/2013 at 3:39 pm

I read another comment above talking about the wind. I am assuming that sky trek tower can close sometimes because of high winds. Does superman or lex Luther close down a lot from the wind?

04/20/2013 at 8:34 pm

I usually try and get there right at park opening and go straight to the Sky Tower since I know it’s not always open. If it’s closed, I do my loop of the park and then check it again before leaving. I was running late the other day and didn’t get up into the tower until probably around 11:30 am, but it was swaying pretty good. I had to lean against the glass to steady myself enough to take pictures. It doesn’t surprise me that they ended up closing it shortly after that.

04/20/2013 at 4:55 pm

Log Jammer was just over 4o years old in 2011 when it closed and was removed. Jet Stream is pushing 41 years old and is now older than Log Jammer was. The Timber Mountain Log Ride at Knott’s is 44 years old and currently undergoing a major rehab. With proper maintenance, there’s no reason why one of these Arrow flumes should be leaking and falling apart. Could this be a sign of Jet Stream’s eventual removal? Who knows? But the chemical smell should have been addressed before the park even opened to the public for the day.

Thanks for the report, Kurt. Until schools begin letting out in about a month, I feel confident that I can visit Magic Mountain during the week and enjoy short lines till then. And possibly get to see a test run of Full Throttle if they do any testing during park operating hours.

• Andrew T.

04/20/2013 at 8:07 pm

Because school is finally out. YES!!!

04/20/2013 at 8:42 pm

I know the ride is really old, and I don’t mean to trivialize the maintenance aspect, but isn’t it relatively easy to patch fiberglass? I don’t understand why there are so many leaks, especially over the midways. It seems like they could easily address that if they wanted to.

With regards to its removal, I have heard rumors that it’s next on the chopping block. But like most rumors, it’s just, well…a rumor.

• Zach

04/20/2013 at 10:14 pm

I don’t think water rides are as at risk now as they were with Al Weber in corporate. He was on a mission to replace all of the maintenance budget draining water rides in the chain.

16. Mike

04/20/2013 at 5:40 pm

i cannot believe how dead it was! u are the luckiest man on earth!

04/20/2013 at 8:36 pm

Well, me and about 100 other people. 😉

17. Jack Curulicio

04/20/2013 at 7:35 pm

When is testing for full throttle going to start?
    Will it be open by the beginning of June?

04/20/2013 at 8:43 pm

As soon as we see them start testing, I’ll be sure to let you know. 😉 I wouldn’t plan for an opening any sooner than mid-June.

18. dave

04/20/2013 at 9:26 pm

Do you have any insights as to how crowded it would be late May (week of 19th May)? I am coming from overseas to visit and want to make the most of the time. I’m planning a mid week visit but also don’t want to miss out on some of the big rides if they’re closed.

Thanks

19. Ralph B.

04/20/2013 at 9:48 pm

They are having exclusive ride time on Tatsu next Sunday, April 28th for those of you who are interested. I wish I could make it but unfortunately I can’t. I received an e-mail about it a few days ago so I thought I’d let you guys know. 🙂

20. James Z (not the other James)

04/21/2013 at 4:08 am

This is so odd. I went to the park on Thursday and had a slightly different experience during my couple hours at the park.

I got there around noon. Rode my mostly non-B&M favs Lex, Superman, Revolution, Terminator, X2 and Tatsu. This is how you know when the park is empty: X2 was literally walk on, so I rode it twice, once in the front, once in the back. Not 1 bad ride, and it was riding super fast. Honestly, even after 10 years, this is one of the sickest roller coasters you will find anywhere in the world.

Everything was 10 minute MAX depending on the ride ops and crowds flow around the park which considering the construction walls will lead them in a counter-clockwise path around the park. I know the park well and was wondering during my clockwise adventure if I was actually going to be able to get through. On another rare note, I actually saw ride-ops jogging to check restraints during my visit, which trust me you will rarely see on a busy day when lines are 1-2+ hours.

I walked under Jet Stream at I would say was almost exactly 2 pm, Ninja was running overhead, and there were people going through the flume. I didn’t notice a smell or anything out of the ordinary, just the typical water leaks on the path below. I remember mostly because as I walked up the shaded path towards Tatsu from Terminator some attractive girl on Jet Stream waved at me as she rode by, and I was like “wha? You’re waving at *me*? Sweet!” so I waved back…Never to see her again… 🙁

Haha but honestly Thursday was a awesome, I don’t think you could ask for a more beautiful day at the park. I did not see Goliath cycle, but other than that none of the coasters or major rides I encountered were closed. Sky Tower was not open when I went by but I saw it running an hour after.

• James Z (not the other James)

04/21/2013 at 4:12 am

Ugh! I meant the crowd goes clockwise, and I took the counter clockwise path which almost appears closed off if you don’t keep walking.

Also, The Coaster Guy: I was totally looking out to see you, guess we missed paths! Got the right day, missed the right time! Thanks for all the updates, really appreciate this site and all you do to keep it together. Keep it up!

• Casey

04/21/2013 at 12:16 pm

Good idea with the name change James Z!

21. Dane. P

04/21/2013 at 10:29 pm

I am really excited for Full Throttle to open. I think it is by far my favorite new ride at any park this year.

04/21/2013 at 10:39 pm

I think FT is going to be a great ride, but I don’t think it’s going to be the best of 2013. Gatekeeper, Outlaw Run, and Iron Rattler are all up there. However, I will say that FT is going to be the best new roller coaster of 2013 that is less than 5 minutes away from me. 😉

22. Nate

04/22/2013 at 4:26 am

I am planning a trip out there between April 29th and May 1st. Is Full Throtle open? Do you think it will be open by then?

04/22/2013 at 5:18 am

No. It probably won’t be open until mid-June.

• Nate

04/22/2013 at 4:24 pm

Oh well. What rides do you recommend? I think we are going to go on like a monday or tuesday.

• Looper

04/22/2013 at 10:29 pm

I would think go on every ride that’s open as often as you choose to. Long as there is no rain or the wind comes up you should have your way at the park to yourself.

• Nate

04/23/2013 at 4:45 am

That would be incredible! My last trip was to Six Flags Great America just north of Chicago and
            I waited in line for 2-4 hours for most rides! I was there all day long and only went on 3 of the
            large coasters. Granted it was in the middle of summer.

23. Andrew

04/22/2013 at 8:53 pm

Today was great except for the 1 train operation on X2. But i will give them credit. They are actually switching trains! Both trains 1 and 2 were missing harnesses and headrests today! Train 3 was the only one operating. It looked like Train 2 was almost finished (only 1 row was missing headrests) and they were working on it!

24. Dane P

04/24/2013 at 3:30 pm

I hate it when I go to sixflags MM and when you ride X2 the sound isn’t working. The ride is infinetly better with it.

25. Matthew

04/24/2013 at 6:04 pm

When will the next fl update be?

• Dane. P

04/24/2013 at 10:51 pm

usually on sunday

26. steve austin

04/25/2013 at 12:42 pm

Kurt, have they put the train on full throttle yet?

04/25/2013 at 12:54 pm

I highly doubt it. They were a long ways away from doing that when I was there last weekend. The station was nothing but four outside walls. They need the station to complete all of the electrical connections and the primary operator’s panel. I think we’re still weeks away from even seeing a train.