Profile: Looney Tunes Lodge

By on 04/29/2013

Looney Tunes Lodge

On May 27, 1999, the children’s play area of Six Flags Magic Mountain known as Bugs Bunny World reopened after an extensive remodel. Several new kid’s rides were added, including a small roller coaster. However, the centerpiece of the area is the Looney Tunes Lodge.

Looney Tunes Lodge is a two-story, 6,000 square foot interactive play area for children and their parents. It was designed and built by SCS Interactive, Inc., of Englewood, CO, who has also built similar play areas in other Six Flags parks around the country.

SCS Interactive calls this an “Interactive Fun Factory.” There are literally thousands of soft foam balls flying all over inside the building. Kids use slingshots and canons, called blasters, to shoot the balls at various targets. Hitting a target with a ball might cause a spaceship to launch or a Looney Tunes character to start going wild.

The entrance to the Looney Tunes Lodge, beautifully surrounded by trees, looks like this:

Looney Tunes Lodge

There is even a large slide that starts on the second story, exits the building, and re-enters on the ground floor. This is what it looks like from the side, with the slide:

Looney Tunes Lodge

There is  an attendant at the entrance making sure that only children and their parents get in. As soon as you walk in, you see an amazing play structure in the middle of the building, welcoming you to the lodge. Everything is so colorful that you don’t know where to look first. The welcome sign hangs over a rock fireplace that gradually fills up with balls and explodes every few minutes, spewing more balls, or ammunition, all over the place:

Looney Tunes Lodge

In the previous photo, you can see Elmer Fudd sitting sideways in a boat. There are two boats like this that get filled with 1,500 balls each. Once filled, they tip over, dumping all those balls on whoever happens to be standing underneath at the time.

This next shot shows some of the interactive targets that kids can aim for. Some of the signs have a button right in the middle. If you hit one of those, something special happens:

Looney Tunes Lodge

As you can see in this next shot, there are balls everywhere! You can use the orange vacuum hoses to suck up the balls into a canister, then press a button to shoot them out again:

Looney Tunes Lodge

Everything is covered with foam and wrapped in netting to provide maximum safety, even for the smallest of tikes. There’s even a giant Tweety Bird cage the kids can play in:

Looney Tunes Lodge

The stairs in the previous photo take you up to the second floor, where there are even more blasters. The purple tube on the bottom is where the slide comes back into the building:

Looney Tunes Lodge

I’ve been in similar play areas when my kids were little, and they absolutely loved them. I can tell from watching the families here that kids today are no different and still enjoy this kind of play, especially when there are lots of other kids around to play with. It’s a great way for them to burn off extra energy.

All children must be under 54″ in height in order to enter the Looney Tunes Lodge, and adults are only allowed inside when accompanied by their children.

1. Andrew T.

04/29/2013 at 1:53 pm

First Comment–FIRST TIME!!!

Is the main area kids play at and are there anything new for it in the future?

On a side note:
    My how the tables have turned *Last Paragraph*

04/29/2013 at 9:50 pm

Congratulations, Andrew! 🙂

I haven’t heard of anything new coming for Bugs Bunny World in the near future. The only thing I’ve heard is that the Carrot Club Theater will not be used for the next two seasons, and then transformed into something else for 2015. However, I have no idea whether or not this is true, or if it will involve other changes to the area as well.

• Likegreenlantern

04/30/2013 at 7:56 pm

You see, I learn stuff like what’s comming in two years before the park even announced it from people like you. Where do you get all your info from?

2. Andrew

04/29/2013 at 9:23 pm

How did you get in if you had to be at least 54″? I don’t know if they weren’t enforcing the rule or something but about a month ago I was given permission by a supervisor to go into the Lodge, and I am 14 and much taller than 54″.

• Andrew

04/29/2013 at 9:23 pm

At maximum 54″ I mean… Oops!

04/29/2013 at 9:56 pm

I thought of that as I was posting the pictures, and whether or not anyone would ask. That’s a very good question. I stopped by early in the morning, when there were no kids inside. I asked the girl if I could go in and take some pictures for a blog post and she said sure thing. I’m very aware that a middle-aged guy by himself taking pictures in the kids play area is creepy, so I try to get in and out when no kids are around so as not to make anyone uncomfortable.

3. Likegreenlantern

04/30/2013 at 11:28 am

Thanks Kurt for doing these blogs! It’s great that you concentrate on everything at the park including all little attractions.

4. JJJ

05/01/2013 at 12:13 am

No idea this even existed.

In the first picture, is that stroller parking under the bench?

05/01/2013 at 7:06 am

Yes it is. There’s stroller parking here, at the Carrot Club Theater, and next to the Action Theater. Of course, the Carrot Club is closed and the Action Theater is only used for a Fright Fest maze these days. With the bench over the top if it here, I think it’s fair to say that stroller parking is no longer a concern.

05/01/2013 at 10:47 pm

I went into the Looney Tunes Lodge one time looking for someone, and I didn’t have a kid with me. None of the staff questioned me about why I was there. Of course, it only took a few seconds to look around and see that my friend wasn’t in there, so I left quickly. It’s understandable why they would not want random adults in there, and if I wasn’t looking specifically for someone, I wouldn’t have gone in.

6. Pingback: Height Restrictions At Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy