Mini Magic Mountain Trip Report For 02 May 2013

By on 05/02/2013

I stopped by Six Flags Magic Mountain today for a Full Throttle update and a quick walk around the park. There really isn’t anything new to report since last week, so I’m not going to do a dedicated construction update. However, here are a few pics of what I did see.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day to be at the park! It was close to 90 degrees, a clear blue sky, and virtually nobody there. The only downside was that we’re in the middle of another wind event, and the high winds close down rides like Lex Luthor and the Sky Tower:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

When I first walked in to the park, I immediately noticed how eerily quiet it was. My first thought was that it was the lack of people. But then I realized that the fountain wasn’t turned on and there was no music playing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the fountain turned off with no water running down the “Valencia Falls” in the background:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Since the winds had closed the Sky Tower down, I couldn’t get any aerial photos. However, I don’t think they would have revealed anything new. The Full Throttle station doesn’t look any different than it did last week. Still no second story on it:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

All of the work on the station appears to be focused on getting the electronics installed in the electrical room on the lower level:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

These guys looked like they were using a template to ensure absolute precision mounting of the LSM components on the launch track:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Work continues inside the old Palace Games building, but I couldn’t see anything new:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

There is a brand new chain link fence around the track where it drops into the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Here’s another shot of that new fence from the front:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

They did install a gate on the side, by the new stairs, but they left the old wrought iron gate:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

They also added a new fence around the support column on the back path. I suspect this was more to do with safety, to keep people from tripping over or falling off of the concrete:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

When I was on Gold Rusher the other night, I noticed some rebar sticking up around a couple of the new Full Throttle support columns. Forms have since been built, and concrete has been poured, creating some protection from the nearby hillside:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I wasn’t kidding when I said it was dead today. I walked out of the park at 12:05 pm and there wasn’t a soul out front by the ticket booths. There were about three security gates open, which had a couple people lined up, but that was it. It’s a great time to visit the park:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I hope you weren’t disappointed. Like I said, very little change in the past week. I really don’t expect to see much change at all for a few more weeks, but I’ll keep looking. 😉

05/02/2013 at 10:45 pm

I keep saying I’m going to get out there while it’s quiet, but never feel up to it. Today was too windy, so I wouldn’t have gone anyway. Also, with those raging brushfires out here, the roads were sort of jammed with people trying to get around the fires and stay off of the 101.

I figured that they might put some sort of railing or fence around supports that sit on the pathways, even though many of the Tatsu ones don’t have them. Also, the fence by the tunnel is no surprise. They had to do something to keep down the temptation of some people to venture in there.

2. zac

05/02/2013 at 11:02 pm

perhaps they turned off the water because it was blowing everywhere? not sure about the music though.

05/02/2013 at 11:11 pm

Maybe…sounds logical.

3. Andrew

05/02/2013 at 11:15 pm

I feel that the chain link fence when the ride goes into the tunnel makes me area look ugly.. But I guess they have to find a way to keep people from entering there lol.

05/03/2013 at 1:44 pm

I agree with you, Andrew. Chain link fence is never attractive. However, it’s better than a solid fence that blocks your view of the train dropping into and blasting out of the tunnel.

4. Jodi

05/02/2013 at 11:42 pm

Nice seeing you today!!

05/03/2013 at 1:42 pm

You too, Jodi! 🙂

5. Dylan

05/03/2013 at 7:27 am

The trains for full throttle arrive Saturday 🙂

6. James Z (not the other James)

05/03/2013 at 1:57 pm

Ugh, really?! That’s the best they could do on that concrete support column? It amazes me how they spend millions on a ride then won’t drop a couple hundred to do a proper cosmetic finishing job on the support column that so many people are going to walk by. That looks pretty bad IMO.

They should have done what they did with the supports on Tatsu that are on the path near Roaring Rapids. I was super impressed with the rock work and it really makes the are look nice.

I can’t imagine what they’re going to be doing to the low track and supports in Superman plaza. With what we’ve seen so far, I imagine it will be an eyesore as well.

BTW thank you for the update, even if it is a small one! It really is nice to see the little things going on around the park, and it does not go unappreciated! Also I can vouch for heading to the park right now. Was there a week or two ago, both Tatsu and X2 was walk-on!

7. Casey

05/03/2013 at 6:45 pm

Anyone know if AAA nights are packed at all?I’m planning to go,and it would be nice to get a little overview on it…

• Andrew

05/03/2013 at 10:58 pm

DON’T go to the AAA private party. It’s insanely packed and a waste of money. You would be better off going on a Sunday.

8. JJJJ

05/03/2013 at 10:06 pm

At this point its pretty obvious the full throttle plaza theme isnt happening this year. Theyll put up a couple of plasmas, a black light and call it a day

• Casey

05/04/2013 at 10:50 am

Agreed.But,they haven’t released deadline for the opening,so you never know,maybe a miracle will happen. 😉

9. dylan

05/04/2013 at 5:40 pm

are you doing a full throttle update for saturday, because the trains fir full throttle will be there

05/04/2013 at 8:21 pm

How do you know they will be there? Besides, even if they are, I’m sure they’ll be stored in the warehouse. From what I saw the other day, the track is nowhere near ready to receive them. The top half of the station isn’t even on yet.

10. Dylan

05/05/2013 at 11:20 am

I was told by thrill capital insider, and they mite be on the track on sunday

11. MichaelOchs

05/05/2013 at 3:49 pm

I went to SFMM with my family on Saturday and they had the construction zone opened, you couldn’t go into the construction site itself, but you could take a picture in front of that spot with the loop in the background. Also that loop, like you said is huge when you see it for yourself.