1973 Magic Mountain Map

By on 05/15/2013

1973 Magic Mountain Map

Below is a 1973 Magic Mountain map, as well as a listing of all the rides, attractions, retail stores, and food stands that could be found in the park that year:

Rides:

• Valencia Falls
  • Whitewater Lake

1974 Magic Mountain Map:

1973 Magic Mountain Map

1. Casey

05/15/2013 at 5:06 pm

Where is Whitewater lake?Never heard of it.Also,dancing waters. Was that some sort of water show.I thought golden bear theatre has been there since the park opened.Also,WHOO!First comment!

• Justin

05/15/2013 at 6:38 pm

If I am not mistaken, Whitewater Lake was the Lake that Log Jammer’s final drop ended in and Dancing waters is the Fountain in Six Flags Plaza.

05/15/2013 at 7:07 pm

^ Correct about Whitewater Lake. The now-gone Metro station across from Log Jammer was known as “Whitewater Lake Station.” Dancing Waters was originally in the fountain under where Superman goes over the midway, then was located next to where the Golden Bear Theater is now.

I have two or three of these maps and a bunch more from other years. Sad to say, I didn’t take many photos during my visits to the park. My mentality must have been “it’s not going to change so much over the years,” which is never a good way to think about anything, be it a theme park, our hometown, or whatever.

05/15/2013 at 7:55 pm

There is an empty concrete slab, up a few steps and across from Wascal’s, where the Dancing Waters was last located.

• Ezra

05/16/2013 at 1:27 pm

Also if you haven’t seen it there is a plaque under the Justice League poster. In the planter across from the Daily Planet. It says” All coins in the fountain will be donated to the local boy scouts. Just letting you know.

2. Paul

05/15/2013 at 6:55 pm

At one time I worked in show operations, Dancing waters was a elaborate fountain/light/strobe show set to music. As I remember both that and the firing sequence of the fire works at Mystic Lake were controlled by Apple IIc computers.

05/17/2013 at 8:51 pm

Wow…I remember my rich friends getting Apple IIc’s when they came out while I was stuck programming on my Atari 800. I think you might be mistaken about them controlling the shows. Dancing Waters was gone before the IIc was even introduced. If it controlled the fireworks on Mystic Lake, it would have had to of been added a couple of years after the lake was built.

3. zac

05/15/2013 at 11:23 pm

The Oasis Restaurant now hosts Food Etc. and the employee cafeteria “Oasis” nice to know that there is history still left in that building. And no magic moments theatre? I thought that was always there. And its weird to see these buildings as they change with the six flags company. The Bank is now guest relations and the Holiday Bazaar is now “Flags” what I’m curious about is: were the Suzette’s Bakery, Coldstone Full Expression, and Cartoon Candy Kitchen built after six flags bought magic mountain? and I’m sure coldstone couldn’t have always been Coldstone, anyone know what it used to be? So much history, it’s awesome!

05/16/2013 at 3:36 pm

Just for reference, the original name of the Golden Bear Theater was the “Seven Up/Dixie Cola Showcase Theater.”

If you look at the map that Kurt posted here, you can see that the buildings where Cold Stone, Suzette’s Bakery, and the big gift shop weren’t always there. If I recall, the gift shop was originally called “Portal House” when it opened in the mid-’70s, a few years before Six Flags bought the park (1979). The buildings on the left side of the main gate (where Cold Stone is) were added even later than that. One of these days, I should post a link to a year-by-year park history that I’ve been working on. That may clear up some of the details as to when things were done at Magic Mountain. It’s a simple Microsoft Word document, but can be converted to a PDF format and posted either here or I can link to it.

05/17/2013 at 9:37 pm

The building that Suzette’s Bakery is located in today has been there since the park opened in 1971, but back then it was Information and Guest Relations. The Portal House building was added in 1975, which included the gift shop on the inside of the gate and a new Guest Relations/Information, Lost Children, and Group Sales ticket office on the outside of the gate. The Portal House section is known as the Looney Tunes Superstore today and the Guest Relations section is what we know as the Will Call office.

05/17/2013 at 9:24 pm

I’m not sure if it still is or not, but as of 2010 that Coldstone in the SFMM entrance plaza was the only Coldstone in the world to have dual slabs, one down each side. Every other Coldstone only had one line that they served from.

4. Thomas

05/16/2013 at 12:32 pm

Hey Kurt,

Check out my friend’s website http://www.themeparkmemories.com for some maps and other old pictures.

05/17/2013 at 10:09 pm

I’ve either seen, have digital copies of, or bought originals of almost everything he has posted there. Unfortunately, I’m unable to use much of it on my site. From a legal standpoint, I’m not willing to publicly post photos that I don’t own and haven’t received permission to use. I find it interesting that he not only posted them on his site, but he even stuck his watermark on everything there, including material that I know he doesn’t own the copyright on. Not to sound too negative or condescending, but that’s just not right.

• Thomas

05/19/2013 at 7:10 pm

Interesting that you say that, but don’t take the time to know what you are talking about. You say you bought them, but won’t use them. If you bought them, then you must know if you have permission. In fact, I don’t even remember him selling them.

They are all his pictures. Many are taken from postcards he owns or from old viewmasters. Putting a watermark on the picture means nothing. It is advertising for his site in case someone else trys to use them. But if you purchased them, they shouldn’t have the watermark, right?

I will ask him if he knows you.

In fact, many of the pictures of current stuff are my pictures which he has permission to use.

I mean, do you have permission to use MM map from 1973? How do we know you didn’t get this illegally? Not trying to sound too negative or condescending if you know what I mean.

05/19/2013 at 8:15 pm

I never said I won’t use content I bought. I said I wouldn’t post “photos” that I don’t have permission to use. What I was referring to was the park maps, postcards, and brochures that he marked. I’ll post those on my site, assuming I have an original in hand and scanned it myself, but I won’t ever stick my copyright or a watermark on them. Watermarks are more than just advertising and they most definitely mean something. Virtually everything he has posted is freely available all over the internet without his watermark, so either he originally posted them all without a water mark and other people grabbed copies of them, or he’s grabbed copies of them from others and added his watermark before posting them to his site. The only reason I think it’s the latter is because I’ve had other people share the same digital copies with me, without the watermark, and told me they were images they scanned and posted themselves. If all of those people are lying, them my apologies to your friend.

5. Casey

05/16/2013 at 4:53 pm

Wow!!!That is a great website you guys should check it out!

• Thomas

05/19/2013 at 7:11 pm

Thanks Casey. I hope you are referring to the one I posted. It is a great site and thanks for not being too negative.

6. Sam

05/16/2013 at 7:31 pm

The Magic Pagoda that was located at the base of the Sky Tower is missing.

Also if I remember correctly, the Sky Tower used to be named as the Western Air Sky Tower (Western Air name was on the Sky Tower in the 70s).

05/17/2013 at 10:16 pm

The Magic Pagoda wasn’t built until 1975. Western Airlines did sponsor the Sky Tower for a period of time. The name “Western Airlines” was spelled out across the bottom of the lower observation deck and their stylized “W” logo was attached to those large flat panels you see today about 3/4 of the way up the structure.

• Thomas

05/19/2013 at 7:18 pm

Almost every website says the Magic Pagoda opened in 1974. Could you actually be incorrect?

• Thomas

05/19/2013 at 7:19 pm

In fact, check your blog from 02/17/11 and you yourself said it opened in 1974. Get your facts straight.

05/19/2013 at 7:56 pm

Thank you for the correction. That earlier post was written before I had actually verified the dates with published park information and I was relying on other web sites for the data. However, as you pointed out above, they are incorrectly stating 1974. I just went back and fixed my earlier post to correctly show an opening date of 1975.

7. dylan

05/16/2013 at 9:38 pm

wow the park has changed so much over the course of 30 years. oh and is there going to be a full throttle update this week

05/17/2013 at 10:20 pm

May 29th will actually mark the park’s 43rd anniversary. It opened on 5/29/1971.