Full Throttle Construction Update #18

By on 05/17/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

Workers have been busy on Full Throttle at Six Flags Magic Mountain, however the entire area still has a very long ways to go. This update is from 16 May 2013.

The most notable change since my last update is that the concrete floor has been poured on the loading station and entry/exit ramps:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The track now looks recessed below the floor in the loading area where the train will sit. Load from the left and exit on the right:

Full Throttle Construction Update

I didn’t even notice this while I was at the park, but it looks like they created a dummy car out of plywood that is the width of the trains to ensure a wide enough opening in the station:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Work was also continuing on the station fencing as a welder was connecting all the pieces:

Full Throttle Construction Update

What looked like a block wall being erected around the storage track area was actually just a base for a new concrete foundation underneath it:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Electrical work continues. You can also see that dummy car up on the track:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Scaffolding has been erected around what’s left of the old Log Jammer station. I can only assume that they are going to start working on sealing that back up:

Full Throttle Construction Update

There is a new fence and gate that has been installed on the access road between Gold Rusher and Full Throttle. I would have thought that this was already a secure area, so I’m not sure who the fence is for or why it was installed there:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Up in the Superman Plaza, a new fence has been installed around the Full Throttle track support that was very low to the ground. I understand the need for this fence, and was expecting it, but it sure doesn’t blend in very well. I know it would have cost more money, but they really should have extended the Superman-themed fence around the front of the support, keeping the two themes separate. It’s ok and is functional, but it could be better:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Lots of work inside the Palace Games building, adding more walls and building it out:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Forms are being set for a concrete pour that will start defining the Full Throttle Plaza area:

Full Throttle Construction Update

I think it’s safe to say that this ride will not be open for Memorial Day weekend as many people had predicted. I was initially hearing of an opening in mid-June, but I honestly don’t even think that’s realistic at this point. With the park advertising a big July 4th Fest in the 2013 park map, I’m going to go out on a limb and predict they are going to try and get this open in time for that celebration. What do you think?

1. steve austin

05/17/2013 at 1:24 pm

Great update as usual my friend. The “dummy” car is more than likely a gauge and spacing drone used for putting sensors and switches at the correct distance from the train rail steel tubing. If you look closely it looks like they have a small “stick” hanging down off of the edge of the drone car for the spacing they want to keep uniform.

05/17/2013 at 1:34 pm

Thanks, Steve. I did see that stick hanging down, but I assumed it was to keep the car on the track since there weren’t any guide wheels, or whatever the wheels on the side are called. However, I also thought it might have something to do with the sensor placement when I saw where it was in relation to that electrical worker and his ladder. It looked like he might be placing sensors on the track.

• Coaster Tech 1980

06/03/2013 at 11:31 am

Being a guy that actually worked on the ride I can tell you that the “dummy cart” as you put it is nothing more than a work cart that some of the iron workers there built as a way of moving along the track with their tools instead of having to climb up and down the track and lugging their stuff up and down a ladder. It has absolutely nothing to do with gauging anything.

2. Herbert Echegoyen

05/17/2013 at 2:29 pm

I hope they fix that area where gold rusher passes by full throttle because it looks horrible, with the land all dried and dusty, and it also needs a paint job.

05/17/2013 at 8:12 pm

Agreed…they need to do something there but I’m not sure what. They’re not going to pave it. Gravel?

3. Ryan

05/17/2013 at 2:47 pm

Nice update as always.

Can’t believe the fence in the Superman plaza! Hope they at least paint it blue to match the rest 🙂

4. Misael

05/17/2013 at 3:59 pm

Well when I was there on Saturday (May 11th), I stumbled across Bonnie Rabjohn, walking towards the back end of the park to start my day off, and I asked her if she can give me at least a little hint on when the ride will be open, and I explained to her that I’m coming from Las Vegas. She replied with a smile, and said either the last week of June or the first week of July. “No Promises” she assured.

5. josh

05/17/2013 at 4:11 pm

It’ll open for fright fest

05/17/2013 at 4:26 pm

What year? 😉

• J.D. W.

05/17/2013 at 4:53 pm

2016

6. Adam

05/17/2013 at 4:54 pm

I could see the ride opening by the middle of June (I dont think the restaurant though). Thats still a month away. Look at The Smiler or Gatekeeper for example. For the Smiler just 3 weeks ago the final track piece wasnt even put on (they also has issues connecting a piece of track with the support) and they started testing it with people last week meaning in 2 weeks it went from non complete to testing with people (granted they probably tested it all day/night). With Gatekeeper the surrounding area and even the station looked just as incomplete about a month ago. I think if they continue non stop (the FT area, completing the station) they could get it open by mid June granted testing goes smoothly.

I remember reading somewhere that a higher up at the park (I wanna say Jay) said something would go where Flashback used to be to go with the FT area. Any idea? The two things that pop in my mind would be a Huss Giant Frisbe or maybe even a Euro Fighter like Dare Devil Dive? Also any word on whats going to go where Deja Vu was? I think if they clear the trees theres enough room for a Wing Rider like X-Flights size?

• Justin

05/17/2013 at 5:03 pm

I feel like a wing rider wouldn’t work at Magic Mountain because they already have X2 which is kinda like a wing rider, but then again they did install another 4-D coaster after they already had one amazing one.

• J.D. W.

05/17/2013 at 5:05 pm

Rumour has it that a large water ride or water-coaster is planned for the site where Deja Vu stood… I’d be happy with that, or a large, custom Euro-Fighter!

• Misael

05/17/2013 at 6:29 pm

Where did you hear the rumor for the water coaster??

05/19/2013 at 10:36 pm

It’s joked about fairly often on theme park message boards, but to be very honest, an Intamin Aqua Trax would make a nice addition to SFMM. To my knowledge, there’s only one operating in the world—in Japan, I believe. Not sure why they haven’t sold more of them, but they look like fun.

05/17/2013 at 8:18 pm

They’re not going to open up the Full Throttle plaza until the entire area is complete, including the two new restaurants. As far as the old Flashback area is concerned, I highly doubt they’ll put any rides there. It’s too close to Hurricane Harbor and the sounds of people screaming is a distraction to the lifeguards.

05/18/2013 at 9:18 pm

They should just let Hurricane Harbor have that space for expansion.

• zac

05/24/2013 at 11:54 pm

I wouldn’t be too sure about that.

7. J.D. W.

05/17/2013 at 5:00 pm

Big thanks for the update, Kurt! I was there on TUE (I had a blast!!!) & I couldn’t believe how much work was left do on the FT area! Yikes! This is when a surprise flat-ride, let’s say a giant Max-Air, needs to pop up in that area. I think that would fit the FT theme AND make up for the late FT opening…

05/17/2013 at 8:24 pm

I think with the exception of the Full Throttle Nights dance pavilion, or whatever it’s going to be called, what we see is what we get. They aren’t going to surprise us with an unannounced flat ride at the last minute. We would have seen signs of it going in by now.

05/19/2013 at 10:44 pm

I believe at some point Tim Burkhart said that there’s enough room for another coaster in the area, so that gives the park an attraction for a future season.

8. Casey

05/17/2013 at 7:01 pm

Going to the mountain on Sunday.Hope to see some sort of FT action!

05/17/2013 at 8:24 pm

Don’t hold your breath. 😉

9. Adam

05/17/2013 at 7:25 pm

Justin now that you bring that up with the park having X2 and Green Lantern a Wing Rider would be the third ride on the sides of the track. I’d totally be happier with a Euro Fighter than a Wing Rider 1st, BUT to solve that problem get rid of Green Lantern down the road and add a Wing Rider. Heck if they get rid of Green Lantern, add a water ride where Deja Vu was they could remove Tidel Wave and with that space plus GL that’d be enough room for a smaller Wing Rider! Actually with Tidel Wave and Freefall gone would that along be enough room for one?

JD a Maxair would be PERFECT for the FT area not to mention a VERY GOOD flat ride for the park (IMO one of the funnest if not the funnest flat rides)! Heck it seems like they have enough room next to FT as opposed to Flashback but I say the FB area cause Jay was asked what would go there and he said something to go with the area.

05/17/2013 at 8:32 pm

The park has plenty of room to add a wing rider if they wanted to without removing anything. However, it won’t happen because 1) it would be very custom and expensive, and 2) it’s too similar to X2. The park likes to add rides that are different from what it already has, with a unique (i.e. record-breaking) element to them. Green Lantern was the first U.S. Zac-Spin, Lex Luthor is the world’s tallest drop ride, and Full Throttle has the world’s largest vertical loop.

• Herbert Echegoyen

05/17/2013 at 10:30 pm

I’ve been a little concerned lately thinking that magic mountain has runed out of room for big atracctions, I even get worried thinking that they could remove good old coasters to get room for new ones; and then that plan with mgc mountain parkway been extended for real estate development. Like how many more rides do you think they can acomodate without removing the others?

05/17/2013 at 10:50 pm

That depends on a variety of factors, Herbert. There’s all kinds of places they can add new flat rides, like Pistachio Park, in front of Colossus, or the old Crazy Barrels spot. If you remove old buildings like the lower Dragon station, the Eagle’s Flight Shangri-La station, or the Metro Colossus County Fair station, you’ll have even more room. New coasters could be added in Déjà Vu’s spot, behind Apocalypse, intertwined with Full Throttle, or even in place of the woefully unused Action Theater. There’s quite a few places you can add rides, it’s just a matter of how much you can afford to spend and whether or not it will pay for itself in increased ticket sales.

• josh

05/18/2013 at 10:09 am

There is a lot of empty land around the park.They could potentially expand the park. Its not built on a city block (knots) or a peninsula(CP). I don’t know maybe they have a limit with the city or something, just an observation.

05/18/2013 at 12:54 pm

The park does not own the land beyond its existing perimeter and there is already an extensive plan for a mixed commercial and residential development all the way around the backside of it. However, like I said above, there is still plenty of room for them to expand within the existing footprint.

10. Dirk Morrissey

05/17/2013 at 7:33 pm

I’m very excited to ride this when it opens. I just got back to my room from spending the day at Cedar Point, Gatekeeper sucks. I knew it would suck, just like X-Fight. It’s just so slow, Scream is a better ride.

05/17/2013 at 8:35 pm

Wow, that’s the first negative comment I’ve heard about GateKeeper. I’m sorry you didn’t like it. I still can’t wait to try it out for myself.

• josh

05/18/2013 at 10:03 am

yeah, I’ve read multiple reviews saying that gatekeeper is not that great. Too slow, no airtime, no oh shit moment that makes you wanna ride it again.

11. Dirk Morrissey

05/17/2013 at 8:48 pm

About half the people I talked to about Gatekeeper felt the same way. Most of the CP employees I talked to felt the same way. We even bought the fast lane plus one day which let’s you cut in line at Gatekeeper and we only rode it 3 times. It’s not horrible, and since it’s a B&M coaster it is super smooth. Still, when it comes to CP coasters I would put it behind Maverick, MF, Magnum, Raptor, TTD, and Wicked Twister.

I hope you like it more than we did, though. 🙂

• Jeff

05/18/2013 at 9:14 am

Wow, putting that behind Magnum means it must be pretty bad. Magnum is downright sexist. It just is not nice to men. I hate that ride! Haha.

12. Dane. P

05/17/2013 at 9:20 pm

I’m still onboard with them re-modeling Colossus and making it a bio-steel coaster. Or, I would not mind what so ever if they tore down Viper and replaced it with something else. I’m of the opinion that Viper is too old, and it hurts my neck every time I ride it.

• XYZ

05/18/2013 at 9:20 am

Viper isn’t very old as there are many coasters in Magic Mountain that are much older than it. Though, I do think Viper’s days are numbered as GASM & Shockwave were both removed, two very similar coasters to Viper. Viper isn’t that popular of a coaster and it takes up a good amount of space, so I would not be surprised if it will be removed in a few years.

• Randie

05/20/2013 at 9:18 pm

I’ve skipped riding Viper the past 5 summers ive been there with my family. Going to be there again in a couple months and im making it a point not to ride Viper. Really can’t take the roughness of that ride myself. Honestly can’t believe I was actually able to take that ride when i was young.

• Dane. P

05/21/2013 at 5:16 pm

It was probably much smoother then.

13. blake

05/17/2013 at 9:25 pm

the wood car is used to test track before the trains get on the track i also heard that testing will start on the 20th of may what do you think

05/17/2013 at 10:30 pm

That’s this coming Monday and I don’t see it happening. There aren’t even any ride operator stations yet. How are they going to control it?

• blake

05/18/2013 at 10:04 am

i agree.but i have heard a lot of rumors about the trains on the storage track. also when do you think the ride operator station will be installed ?

05/18/2013 at 12:56 pm

Andrew said in a post below that one was just installed yesterday.

• blake

05/19/2013 at 8:10 pm

ok thank you 😀

14. Jamie

05/17/2013 at 10:02 pm

Jamie I was hoping full throttle would open up on memorial day weekend!! This ride would sure beat the worldest tallest loping coaster in the world.

15. Andrew

05/17/2013 at 11:26 pm

As of today one of the control panels was installed.

16. Jimmy Tovar

05/18/2013 at 6:52 am

I agree about the fence on top of the Superman plaza. It could be better. Doesn’t fit at all with the area. At least they could of painted it the same blue as the surrounding fence. Thanks for the update Kurt.

17. Jeff

05/18/2013 at 9:21 am

Sorry, I know this question is often met by you with the same, I can never tell what the crowds will be like-type answer, but I’m going to MM for the first time since I was a kid this upcoming Wednesday. I’m only going to be in town for that one day. I live far enough that I don’t come to California or LA area hardly at all. I’m just wondering if the crowds mid-week are big enough usually that I might actually want to consider a the Flash pass, or even a Gold pass just to get in early. Obviously not a huge chance that I’ll return more than once this year, but I’m wondering if I’m going to be able to ride all the primary stuff I want to ride, let alone everything I’d consider riding. Thoughts?

05/18/2013 at 12:59 pm

The schools are still in session next week, so Wednesday should be a great day to go. I bet you’ll be able to ride everything you want, assuming everything is open, without the need for a Flash Pass. I’ve went on Thursday these past couple of weeks and it was not crowded at all.

• Jeff

05/19/2013 at 4:00 pm

That is very excellent to hear! Thanks!

18. Dylan

05/18/2013 at 11:15 am

Magic mountain can not build in the open dirt aria around the park due to a tiny stream (whitch can be seen from the sky tower) which is home to a endangered species of frog like creatures

• Julien D.

05/18/2013 at 1:36 pm

My dad works for the local Power Company (Southern California Edison), and there having a similar problem with Frogs, about 50% of work has decreased on power line construction in the forest until about early winter.. I guess they cross frequently were power lines are meant to be Placed. Furthermore, I can understand why SFMM cant build where these frogs live.

19. Likegreenlantern

05/19/2013 at 8:17 am

IMPORTANT!!!!! TRAVEL CHANNEL IS HAVING A NEW SPECIAL about FUTURE ROLLOR COASTERS Tonight aT 9ISH!

• Jeff

05/19/2013 at 4:11 pm

“From behind-the-scenes action at the world’s premiere amusement park expo to one of the biggest announcements in roller coaster history, we’ll give you a front row seat to all the action!” Someone announcing something bigger and faster than Kingda Ka/Formula Rossa?

05/19/2013 at 8:22 pm

Unfortunately (fortunately?), I’ve been a cable-cutter for years, so I don’t get the Travel Channel. I’ll have to look for this to be playing online sometime. But thank you for the heads up! 🙂

20. Cam

05/19/2013 at 1:37 pm

Looking forward to it! For a name like Full Throttle, 70mph isn’t that fast but still looks great!!

21. matthew

05/19/2013 at 4:41 pm

Are the trains on the track?

05/19/2013 at 6:39 pm

They weren’t as of Thursday. I haven’t been there this weekend, but I’d be surprised if they were.

• Looper

05/19/2013 at 6:55 pm

Went to SFMM today (Sun) and no trains on FT track as seen from Sky Tower. In a lighter moment Roaring Rapids was running 5 rafts.

05/19/2013 at 8:22 pm

Did you float the rapids? Perfect day for it!

• Looper

05/19/2013 at 9:10 pm

It was no doubt a perfect day for Rapids but, when line for Rapids is longer then Tatsu the best cool down we could do was Cold Stones near Apoc.

Tomorrow is another day and might make a return visit as no work for me until Wed

22. Adam

05/20/2013 at 11:24 am

There is a pic out there of a train in the tunnel section of the ride posted on another site (a photo taken on Sunday the 19th).

• Ralph Fr3m

05/20/2013 at 4:01 pm

what website?

05/20/2013 at 4:12 pm

I just got back from the park and grabbed a couple of pics. I’ll post them shortly.

• Ralph Fr3m

05/20/2013 at 4:14 pm

YESSS! Your the best! haha i need updates after finals this week im going! Im a really big fan of SFMN!

23. Dylan

05/20/2013 at 3:18 pm

Why would the trains be in the tunnel if they haven’t sarted testing??

05/21/2013 at 8:59 pm

It’s just a single car, not a full train. Check out my post on the car being in the tunnel to read why I think it’s there.

24. Casey

05/20/2013 at 3:42 pm

I went to the park sunday the nineteenth and I can assure you there is one car on the track. It’s parked inside the tunnel.I have a pic. of it,but I don’t know how to show it,since I took it on a blackberry. On the other hand,the park was dead that day, so I got to ride X2 six times and S:EFK three times. I had a blast! BTW, it was my first time on both of those rides too.

• Ralph Fr3m

05/20/2013 at 4:00 pm

LUCKY! n what do u mean the carts are parked inside the tunnel?

25. Randie

05/20/2013 at 9:21 pm

Thanks for taking the time to give updates. So convenient to be able to do a single click and get information on FT.

05/21/2013 at 9:00 pm

My pleasure. I’m glad you enjoy it!

26. Davis S.

05/22/2013 at 5:18 pm

I have a pretty good feeling that Six Flags will have to add a net where the Full Throttle track goes real close to the Superman plaza because people will throw stuff at the riders. Kind of like how people threw things at each other on the Dueling Dragons in Orlando.

05/22/2013 at 7:10 pm

A net won’t prevent people from throwing things at the coaster as it passes overhead unless it’s a virtual wall completely separating the track from the plaza, and I don’t see that happening. Anyone throwing something at a moving coaster should be banned from the park for life. That’s just stupid.

27. Looper

05/25/2013 at 5:11 pm

Not sure if allowed or how to post pics but saw a shot of the seats of Full Throttle on the tracks. I don’t recall the original Coaster site but seats look nice.

28. Isaac

05/27/2013 at 12:39 am

Do you think this ride will be “big person” friendly? I am from Chicago planning a trip to SFMM in the end of July.