Both Full Throttle Trains Are Now On The Track

By on 05/30/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

Both Full Throttle roller coaster trains are now on the track at Six Flags Magic Mountain. We can only hope that means that the testing of the ride is about to start. After months of construction and anticipation, I’m very excited to start seeing the trains shooting through and over that massive loop and completing the full circuit.

Before we get to the photos I took today, I wanted to share a couple of photos I took from the Sky Tower last week. With the high winds that we’ve been getting lately, the Sky Tower has been closed, preventing any aerial photos. But I did want to share what I saw from up there last week.

In this first photo, you can see that they have started to pour the concrete for the new midways. It looks like there will be an entrance to the Full Throttle area directly from the Looney Tunes Superstore, right where the old WB Kids Club used to be:

Full Throttle Construction Update

I didn’t notice this at the time, but fortunately I captured it in a photo. The ride operator’s panel was installed last week towards what will be the front of the station. It’s funny to see that sitting there like that when there’s nothing else in the station yet:

Full Throttle Construction Update

I did happen to notice that the control panel for the transfer track had been installed:

Full Throttle Construction Update

OK, now onto today’s photos! The entire train has been joined together and is partially sitting in what will eventually be the station:

Full Throttle Construction Update

That’s going to be quite a launch getting through that loop with such a short runway:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s a closer shot of just one of the cars. A 2×3 configuration for six riders/car:

Full Throttle Construction Update

There’s a lot going on in that undercarriage for the launch system to work properly:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s a close-up of one of the wheel assemblies:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Lapbar-only restraints with padded knee braces. There is also a small hump (name?) in the middle of the seat that you straddle to prevent you from sliding down:

Full Throttle Construction Update

I don’t see the point of those arm rests, but I’ll reserve judgement until I try them:

Seats from the back:

Full Throttle Construction Update

This is how the cars are joined together. Three cars per train, for a total of 18 riders:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The second full train is sitting on the storage track, ready for testing:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Full Throttle’s exit ladder has been installed and appears to be working perfectly:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Several guys were working hard digging lines/holes way up the hill today. Not sure why:

Full Throttle Construction Update

This guy had a much easier job digging his trenches:

Full Throttle Construction Update

It appears that clearance wasn’t an issue for the tunnel after all. They are welding in a new frame around the tunnel entrance, making the opening even smaller than it was:

Full Throttle Construction Update

It’s hard to see the frame from the front, but they are also adding more elements inside:

Work continues on sealing up the old Log Jammer station:

Full Throttle Construction Update

They were just finishing sealing the old exit path with plywood when I was there:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The area behind the rocks has already been sealed. No more peeking through there:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The exterior work on the Palace Games building has been completed and it’s getting a very vibrant and colorful paint job. I can’t wait to see the finished product:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Lots of work starting to happen in the Full Throttle Plaza area. You can see a whole bunch of electrical conduits that just popped up over on the right:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The workers were on their lunch break and were sitting on the new concrete that was poured last week. You can also see lots of new trees waiting to be planted:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Something happened to the wrap that was on this construction wall, perhaps the high winds that we’ve had. What I don’t understand is why they would cut it off in the middle of the picture. I would have made a clean cut before that:

Full Throttle Construction Update

That’s it for this week. What do you think?

1. Josh

05/30/2013 at 8:28 pm

Thanks for the update! Waiting on that official opening day before I make another trip.

05/30/2013 at 9:56 pm

Unfortunately, there is still no word from the park on an official opening date for Full Throttle.

2. Logan Shalit

05/30/2013 at 8:35 pm

I am super excited that it is lapbar only. It will prevent headaches when this ride starts to wear out. And for the armrests, why did they even put that there? Our hands will be up the entire time!! And lastly, do you have any inference/ guess when testing is?

05/30/2013 at 9:57 pm

I have no insight as to when testing will begin, but I suspect it will be soon.

05/30/2013 at 8:35 pm

Excellent update. I’m pretty sure that within the month we’ll be riding this.

About the initial launch, I noticed that the launch track was pretty short before hitting the loop. I’m thinking that this launch will be very intense in order to get the train to speed and around the loop. I’d also like to think that there is something in place to slow/stop the train in the event of a rollback. You know that will happen at some point.

Seeing how they’re reducing the size of the tunnel opening, that may explain the sides of the trains: arm guards like on Green Lantern and Superman: Escape From Krypton. Just a thought.

• Logan Shalit

05/30/2013 at 10:24 pm

Good Observation about the armrests. I am just curious why we can’t have bigger tunnels and more armspace which will lead to a more comfortable enjoyable ride

• Thrill Capital Insider

05/31/2013 at 5:47 pm

They aren’t actually armguards at all. I’ve been on Superman at SFDK and it has these and you don’t even notice them..

05/31/2013 at 10:05 pm

I agree with TCI. They’re just for aesthetics and not arm protection. I would rather not have them there at all and have a more open and unprotected feel to add to the excitement level.

4. dylan

05/30/2013 at 8:35 pm

thank you so much for the update. i’m guessing testing will start the end of the first week of june.

5. josh

05/30/2013 at 9:03 pm

Yeah. Those trains are mean looking and the approach to the loop looks so short when you can see the scale of it with the train not so staged. Name for small hump you ask. OH SHIT handle.

05/30/2013 at 10:00 pm

I was actually referring to the molded hump in the seat that rests in your crotch area when you’re sitting down, and not the grab bar.

6. Dan Sheffer

05/30/2013 at 9:12 pm

I’m In LOVE!

7. Zachary

05/30/2013 at 9:17 pm

Awesome update! Those cars are sexy!!! So sleak and clean cut.

8. MichaelOchs

05/30/2013 at 9:19 pm

Thankyou for the update, been continuously checking your website waiting for a new update glad its here, and it was a great one thankyou.

9. Wmlsf

05/30/2013 at 10:04 pm

Awesome! Planning a trip down there in June. Keeping my fingers crossed that it’ll be timed perfectly.
    By the way, these new cars are the same as Superman Ultimate Flight in Vallejo, Ca. They’re amazing. Smooth, fast And surprisingly secure (they should install these cars on the Revolution and get rid of those lousy shoulder restraints). I’m assuming it’s going to be a similar operation as the Surperman Ultimate Flight ride, real quick hurry up and see ya!

05/30/2013 at 10:37 pm

In another note, in five or ten years, I wonder how many people will know what that notch was for in the roof of the old Palace Arcade building? (It was where the Metro track went.)

• Justin

05/31/2013 at 4:03 pm

In five to ten years I don’t think people will know that it used to be an Arcade.

05/31/2013 at 10:08 pm

They’ll know forever if I ever get off my duff and write the Metro profile. 😉

11. Herbert Echegoyen

05/30/2013 at 11:01 pm

Great!! I was looking foward to see an update, thank you! I used to think that it would be a relly simple coaster, since we are used to big atractions, when the anouncement for this ride came out, I was a little disspointed, but know as everything is comming together I’m actually starting to think that its going to be awesome.

12. Jodi

05/31/2013 at 12:23 am

Hi CG,
    The “lump” in the middle is lovingly referred to as a “leg horn”, not to be confused with Foghorn. LOL! Interesting 5 wheel bogey huh?

05/31/2013 at 10:09 pm

That’s a perfect name for it, just like the horn on a saddle. Thanks! And I love the bogey!!

13. Wade

05/31/2013 at 12:42 am

Ha Kurt those humps in the seats are called the cock blocks 😛
    Someone should really tell them to update their website and banners, as by my calculation Spring end tomorrow and thus, they are all incorrect (and the project is behind schedule)

05/31/2013 at 6:42 pm

Spring ends in late June, so it’s still spring.

05/31/2013 at 10:11 pm

I think I’ll stick to the term “leg horn” since coasters are ridden by both genders. 😉

14. elorite'

05/31/2013 at 9:20 am

When will you be back to show us more?

05/31/2013 at 10:12 pm

Ummmm….how’s today sound? 😉

15. Misael Soto

05/31/2013 at 9:39 am

I got excited, I don’t know why, when I saw the concrete midway!
    Same with the initial painting of the the Palace Game building!

16. Ian

05/31/2013 at 12:43 pm

Am I the only one that think the trains are hideous? There is just nothing to them it looks like they slapped cheap seats onto a plate of steel. Not very appealing at all. Don’t get me wrong I cant wait to ride it but those trains are lame.

• Logan Shalit

05/31/2013 at 4:24 pm

even if you don’t like the look of them, it still is better than revolution’s or an arrow coaster’s cars.

• Ian

05/31/2013 at 4:34 pm

I agree comfort wise it will be better. I still miss the old school lap bars on revolution. But at least the revolution an viper cars had some style to them and looked complete. These just look unfinished to me.

05/31/2013 at 10:16 pm

I don’t think they’re hideous, just very industrial looking. The problem is that there really isn’t anything to theme them to. In my opinion, it’s the same issue that Scream! has. What does a “Full Throttle” look like? Outlaw Run is a stagecoach, Iron Rattler is a snake, but what is a Full Throttle?

17. Andrew

05/31/2013 at 4:39 pm

About the tunnel frame, I believe that is so no one who isn’t riding, for example someone climbing up Samurai Summit, can’t see the special effects. They want to suprise riders!

Thanks for the update! Can’t wait to ride!

05/31/2013 at 6:44 pm

I think it also helps to contain the effects within the tunnel. Who knows? There may even be a curtain of fog or smoke to help hide everything in there.

05/31/2013 at 10:19 pm

I think Eric hit it on the head. They need to close the tunnel opening as much as possible to maximize the effect of the special effects inside. It’s less about keeping non-riders from seeing inside the tunnel and more about letting the riders see more of what’s in the tunnel.

• zac

06/01/2013 at 1:53 pm

especially during these bright summer days, anything to do with light would barely be visible if the tunnel is not closed off

18. Jack Curulicio

06/01/2013 at 8:28 pm

Is there any possibility that Full Throttle will open in less than 3 weeks?!

06/01/2013 at 8:40 pm

It’s possible, although I highly doubt it.

19. Andrew

06/01/2013 at 9:03 pm

1.If it goes well, testing could end in two weeks. However they will need at least one prep week, so chances of it happening are very low.

2. Coaster Guy, how often do you go to magic mountain? Do u live in Valencia? Love the updates!

06/02/2013 at 9:02 pm

I just live a couple of miles up the road from SFMM and can be there in about 5 minutes. I try and go at least once a week for an update. Sometimes I’ll go more if I know there’s a lot going on and things are changing daily. Now that it’s summer and the later hours have kicked in, I’ll probably start going more at night with my son and ride more coasters.

20. Jim Hilgers

06/03/2013 at 10:08 pm

Why does the Full Throttle Roller Coaster have just a lap-bar to hold you in, but the Revolution requires over the shoulder restraints?

21. Andrew

06/04/2013 at 6:35 pm

Revolution is much older and out of date. There have been many people talking about Revolution getting an update for it’s 40th anniversary. Although Six Flags has not announced anything, the rumor is talking about new lap bars and removal of the over the shoulder restraints. The lap bars used on FT are very new, and have only been on recent rides,.

22. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy