Full Throttle Construction Update #19

By on 05/31/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

I know it’s only been a day since my last Full Throttle roller coaster update from Six Flags Magic Mountain, however the Sky Tower was closed when I was there yesterday and I really wanted to get some aerial shots. I stopped by the park again today and got lucky. These photos were taken on 31 May 2013.

This first shot just shows the overall station area. Both trains are now on the track and the back of the old Log Jammer station has been sealed up:

Full Throttler Construction Update

One train is in the station (mostly) and the other is sitting on the storage track:

Full Throttler Construction Update

It still seems odd to me that there isn’t going to be a hard structure over the top of this:

Full Throttler Construction Update

It looks like the last car of the second train hasn’t been connected yet:

Full Throttler Construction Update

Most of the back of the old Log Jammer station has been boarded up. It’ll be interesting to see what, if anything, they do to it to theme it to the Full Throttle lifestyle:

Full Throttler Construction Update

Here’s the finished product, minus paint, of the work they were doing yesterday:

Full Throttler Construction Update

This food building is getting very colorful, but it doesn’t scream Full Throttle to me. It almost looks like it would be more at home down in DC Universe:

Full Throttler Construction Update

Lots of work between the food building and the ride:

Full Throttler Construction Update

Sprinklers and dirt are going in around the new midway:

Full Throttler Construction Update

Here’s a better shot of some of those new trees waiting to be planted:

Full Throttler Construction Update

Here’s a short video I made showing the current build status as of today:

1. Gregg

05/31/2013 at 5:58 pm

1) Sure isn’t any gap between the train and the sides of the load/unload. Is Superman at SFDK that tight? I don’t remember the other Premier launches I’ve ridden (Freeze, Chiller, Poltergeist, Jokers Jinx, Flight of Fear) appearing that tight. Maybe it’s just that I’ve never looked from 400 feet in the air. 😉
    2) Glad to see there are some trees going in
    3) I’m guessing they had leftover paint from DC Universe? 😉 Agree. Doesn’t look Full Throttle Lifestyle to me.
    4) Those box things in the entry, are those for the Full Throttle Nights/Lighting I wonder?
    5) Thanks for the update.

05/31/2013 at 9:57 pm

1) I think the aerial perspective does put a different spin on things.
      2) I wish they were bigger, but they’ll grow eventually.
      3) Most likely.
      4) I’m thinking light poles, tv monitors on poles, etc.
      5) You’re welcome. 🙂

2. blake

05/31/2013 at 6:07 pm

this is really great that the ride and the plaza is coming together. i cant wait to see testing. when do you think testing will start 😀

05/31/2013 at 9:57 pm

No idea on the testing, but I’m hoping sometime soon.

3. Adam

05/31/2013 at 6:23 pm

GREAT update Kurt! As far as the station goes I don’t think they’re going to have it like Flashbacks (no roof as it appears now), BUT I think it’ll be like the tent canopy style (like in the concept rendering of the FT plaza.) If thats the case that’ll probably take 2 days tops to put over. If testing starts by next weekend I don’t see why they couldn’t get it up and running by the end of June at the latest (assuming testing goes smoothly).

05/31/2013 at 10:01 pm

Oh, I know it’s going to be covered. What I meant by a “hard” structure was something like traditional framing, with studs, plywood, shingles, etc. Basically something other than a soft, or tent-like covering. The sun is so damaging around here that I don’t see any soft material lasting more than a season or two before needing to be replaced.

• Jason Tyrone

06/03/2013 at 8:20 am

I think the reason for a soft top vs a hard top is so that when ur waiting in line you can see the loop and the ride launching into it.

4. Casey

05/31/2013 at 10:10 pm

If they’re sticking pretty true to the concept art,why is everyone still wondering what the tunnel effects will be?In the video,it looked like blue strips of neon lights covering the left and right sides…maybe those tube lights at the top of the tunnel we saw a few updates ago were the ones i’m talking about? I don’t know,just a guess…

• Davis S.

06/01/2013 at 12:30 pm

The commercial probably wasn’t looking to show what the effects will really look like. Iron Rattler’s commercial showed creepy red LEDs in the tunnel, but the real ride just used a bunch of colorful flashing lights. They are probably gonna do something a bit more advanced than neon lights.

• Casey

06/01/2013 at 12:49 pm

True,True…

5. Sammy

05/31/2013 at 10:37 pm

Great updates you’ve been giving us. Yeah that food building looks very out of place. IMO they should have kept the color scheme blue/silver like the FT logo.
    I was wondering about the abrupt final break run, it seems like people could easily hit there heads on the seats in front if them, especially with how tight they are.

06/01/2013 at 3:38 pm

I don’t think it’s going to stop that fast. More of a gradual slowing, like the drop on Lex Luthor..

6. jordan

05/31/2013 at 10:52 pm

Im guessing that testing could start sometime in the next week, given the train is in the station. Right?

06/01/2013 at 3:38 pm

Maybe.

7. Adam

05/31/2013 at 11:39 pm

Apparently they tested it today and it went 1/4 of the way up the loop then back (sounds like to test a rollback).

• Donovan Boczko

06/03/2013 at 9:49 pm

I worked today and I did not see any testing going on today.

8. UNKNOWN

06/01/2013 at 7:53 am

When will they install the gates to get on the ride? Or will it be like Lex Luther where the ride op opens the gate for you?

06/01/2013 at 3:39 pm

We’ll just have to wait and see what they do.

9. brian

06/01/2013 at 8:39 am

Jet stream has a soft canopy and it has been around for quite some time.

06/01/2013 at 3:40 pm

Yah, but I think they replace the canvas every couple of years, don’t they?

10. Misael Soto

06/01/2013 at 9:09 am

The Color Scheme on the building is almost exactly like The Looney Tunes Super Store, directly behind it.
    Maybe that has something to do with it?

Great Update, btw, I can’t wait to see how the entrance canopy and monitors are going to look like in person.

06/01/2013 at 3:40 pm

I hadn’t noticed that, but I think you’re right.

11. Adam

06/01/2013 at 10:12 am

@ unknwon. I believe on the second and third pic there are some metal poles poking up in the station and it looks like holes for some more as well. Im pretty sure those are for the loading gates.

• Adam

06/01/2013 at 10:15 am

I also checked the previous update (#18) and the station didnt have those holes or poles so I’m 99% sure those are for the loading gates.

12. matthew romine aka coasteroverdose2012

06/01/2013 at 11:16 am

Hey Kurt great update i think i should head out there and lite a fire under the crews rear but i think ill just sit back and enjoy the beautiful pictures you take for another week then go whip them into shape lol

06/01/2013 at 3:41 pm

Sounds like a plan! 🙂

13. Grant P.

06/01/2013 at 4:01 pm

Looks like this ride has an incredibly short runway! The ride looks great, but im thinking rollbacks will be frequent especially early on, but who doesnt love a rollback?! Ive been praying for one on Top Thrill Dragster for 10 years!

• Andrew

06/02/2013 at 5:07 am

I’m a Cedar Point right now! Haha I’m gonna try and get on TTD today!

14. Dylan

06/01/2013 at 8:15 pm

I can’t wait for them to test the whole ride, and I can already tell that before you enter the tunnel everyone will have there hand up and when you enter everyone will put them down like on Goliath

15. Byron

06/02/2013 at 12:55 am

No OTS restraints?? Ummm is that safe?

• Arkhamar

06/02/2013 at 4:19 pm

Absolutely safe. I believe Kurt already addressed this. These new trains come with the latest style laptop bars and padded knee braces which hold your lower body securely in place. Just look at Superman SFDK which uses very similar trains.

06/02/2013 at 8:35 pm

Totally safe, and much more comfortable!

16. Roger

06/02/2013 at 8:21 am

I hope that the building has air condishioning! Lots of shade in the set of the line, would be nice too!

Thanks for the update! Can’t wait to ride it!

06/02/2013 at 8:36 pm

You can never have too much A/C in this park, especially in the summer.

17. Andrew

06/02/2013 at 9:25 am

I understand Roger… Green Lantern needed air conditioning…

• Csey

06/02/2013 at 3:32 pm

Tell me about it!!!!That queue is the hottest i’ve ever been in!!!

• keshauna davis

06/06/2013 at 1:19 am

naw I think riddlers revenge is the hottest

18. matthew romine aka coasteroverdose2012

06/02/2013 at 10:06 am

hey Kurt what camera do you use ? if its a mobile phone try some HDR shots ive taken quite a few https://plus.google.com/photos/103296525422850258049/albums/5839658438758218673

06/02/2013 at 8:41 pm

I just use a little Sony point-and-shoot that I can slip into my pocket. It’s takes great HDR photos, and I’ve done quite a few from around the park. However I’m usually taking pics during mid-day, when the sun is at its harshest, and the HDR doesn’t really do much over a regular photo so I don’t bother.

• matthew romine aka coasteroverdose2012

06/03/2013 at 10:46 pm

can i send panarama shots if i get out there

06/04/2013 at 1:59 pm

Sure.

19. Wmlsf

06/02/2013 at 1:03 pm

Full Throttle and Superman Ultimate Flight @ SFDK are both Premier Rides designs. They are very similar in concept (cars/trains, short launch to a 150+ height). I have feeling that after all is speculated, said or assumed about this ride, everyone chatting about it will admire it’s simplicity. I wrongfully doubted the Superman Ultimate Flight ride for all the same reasons (aesthetics, setup, simple concept), and can now say that I was wrong. It’s the shortest and most exciting ride I’ve ridden in awhile. I assume that Full Throttle will be exactly the same, short and sweet.

Train/cars
    1. Very tight and awkward cars to get in and out of; however, extremely secure and comfortable when in the seat.
    2. Tight fit to the platform, almost seem less.
    3. Not much to look at, aestetically generic.

06/02/2013 at 8:44 pm

I’m hearing from a lot of people that their attitude towards this ride has already changed for the better now that they see it built, and that’s before the first train has even made a complete circuit. I’m sure we’re all going to love it once we ride it.

20. Wmlsf

06/02/2013 at 1:22 pm

Oops, that was supposed to be “seamless.”

21. JJJ

06/02/2013 at 5:58 pm

I think that not having the ride enter the log jammer station at the end was a missed opportunity.

06/02/2013 at 8:45 pm

I tend to agree. It seems like they could have incorporated that building somehow, even if just as part of the queue.

22. Bob winek

06/02/2013 at 7:15 pm

I was planning on going to opening day full throttle and wanted to know how opening day works
    Could u tell me what happens and some tips
    And thanks for the updates

• Casey

06/02/2013 at 7:49 pm

Ya,I was hoping to get a little info. on that too.It’ll be my first time going to opening day of a ride.Should you get there early?

06/02/2013 at 8:57 pm

You should definitely be in line at the main gate early. If you have a Gold Season Pass, make sure you use that line. If you don’t, but have a Discover Card, make sure you use that line. No matter which line you end up in, make sure you’re as close to the front as possible.

06/02/2013 at 8:55 pm

Opening day for just about any brand new roller coaster is a mad house. It’ll be just like any other day, except when the park opens that entire new area will also be open. Make your way to get in line as soon as possible because it will be very long, all day. Make sure you stay hydrated, you wear sunscreen, and please be patient. I can’t stress enough how long the line will be.

23. Jamie

06/02/2013 at 7:40 pm

@@ Six flags It seems like you have moved full throttle up some. Updates are coming alone I can’t wait to get the whole description the relevalation is still unknowed.. SFMM Go Six Flags thrills..

24. Bob winek

06/02/2013 at 8:17 pm

U for sure should get there early but that’s all I know what to do for opening days

25. josh

06/02/2013 at 10:24 pm

im really prayin for huge airtime over that “tophat’

26. josh

06/02/2013 at 10:27 pm

i understand its only supposed to he about a second and a half of it but really looking for some ejector here.

06/04/2013 at 2:01 pm

The arc over the top looks way too wide to give ejector airtime. Floater is much more likely, in my opinion.

27. Goobs

06/02/2013 at 10:59 pm

Thanks for the updates. I currently just started working at SFMM. I have waiting for this ride since it was first announced. I will let everyone know how it is after the employee party they do for new rides. Thanks again for the updates.

• Donovan Boczko

06/03/2013 at 9:53 pm

I just started working there too! Ill see you at the Employee party!

• Goobs

06/03/2013 at 10:48 pm

Maybe. I can not wait to see this ride in action and actually go on it.

28. Bob winek

06/03/2013 at 7:07 am

29. Bob winek

06/03/2013 at 7:19 am

Is there like a opening day ceremony when the park opens or does all that happen before the park opens

06/03/2013 at 10:50 pm

That usually takes place during Media Day, which is an invitation only event that typically occurs a day or so before the ride opens to the general public.

30. Jason Tyrone

06/03/2013 at 8:28 am

So I’m planning on hitting up six flags for my bday on the 21st of July what do u think my chances are this ride will be operating by then?

06/03/2013 at 8:37 am

I would be extremely surprised if it wasn’t open by 7/21, so I think your chances of riding it are very good.

31. Jeff Wesson

06/03/2013 at 11:53 am

I was there on Friday too, and was amazed at the flurry of work being done in the area. One thought I had though was this – normally before they start actually testing roller coasters, they do a slow pull-through of the trains using pullies and cranes to make sure it rolls smoothly through all the turns and elements. Obviously, they aren’t planning on doing this for Full Throttle, because they’d still have cranes in the area to do so. It does seem a bit dangerous on a launch coaster that will go this fast, for them to start launching it without ever doing the slow pull-through first. I’m sure they know what they are doing, but just a “huh”?

06/03/2013 at 11:57 am

There was a car spotted on the track in the tunnel about a week or so ago. The speculation is that it was there to do the pull-through. Perhaps they did it at night, away from our prying eyes.

32. Jeff Wesson

06/03/2013 at 12:09 pm

Oh, that makes sense. I feel better now!

33. Andrew

06/03/2013 at 5:27 pm

My friend said he saw a commercial. Not sure how true he is to his word, but he told me it opens June 21. However, you should expect delays as they did for Green Lantern and Lex Luthor.

By the way, I haven’t riden Lex Luthor yet, thoughts?

06/03/2013 at 10:53 pm

There are commercials that mention Full Throttle, but none of them mention a date, as it still hasn’t been announced yet.

As far as Lex Luthor is concerned, it’s a great ride! The height can be a little intimidating for some, but it’s really smooth. If it starts getting a little too high for you, just close your eyes. However, if you ride Superman, you’ll be fine and probably really enjoy it.

34. Bob

06/03/2013 at 10:39 pm

Donovan, what department are you working in? I just finished Discovery?

06/03/2013 at 10:55 pm

If you use the Reply button directly under somebody else’s post, like I did here, it will respond directly to that person’s comment and your comment won’t be lost at the bottom of the comment pile.

35. Mike

06/04/2013 at 5:19 am

I’m still on business here in Singapore since January but I can’t wait to get back to San Diego. I would have thought by now the ride will be open and see reviews and such, but wow! I should hope by August 10th it’ll be open for me to try out. I guess I haven’t really missed much though. I really like this site and all your updates, I just caught up for the last couple of months…… Very cool!

06/04/2013 at 2:02 pm

Thank you, Mike. I’m glad you like it!

36. drakonas84

06/04/2013 at 3:40 pm

They probably left the old cue for log jammer in tact for storage for the full throttle nights (there dj night show) for audio and video equipment. Also extra storage for golden bear theatre as they don’t have much. It could also be another permanent haunted house location.

37. Justin Bronston

06/04/2013 at 4:15 pm

when is opening day? Me and some friends want to go around the day it opens so when do u think it will open?

38. drakonas84

06/04/2013 at 4:36 pm

There isn’t one yet. The ride may be almost complete but they need to clean up the area as well.

Speaking of does anyone know if the waterfall has been completely removed or if there putting that little lake back in?

39. Adam

06/05/2013 at 7:40 pm

Apparently they started testing today and they were successful. If this is indeed true I can see the ride opening on June 21st (as Andrew stated they heard an advertisement saying that date). Since this update the old Log Jammer station (side facing FT) has been fully painted white and the ride has apparently successfully tested. To get a queue, the paths, the restaurant and the plaza all ready in just over 2 weeks is definitely possible (not to mention they technically don’t need the restaurant open when the ride opens).

40. josh

06/05/2013 at 11:00 pm

they have to do alot more than 1 sucessful day of testing. like cycle the ride 1000 times or something ljke that

• Adam

06/06/2013 at 8:26 am

Josh absolutely. I believe its hours and I believe the standard is 200-300 hours. To get a ride open they will test it all day
      AND all night. Once the first successful test run starts usually its non stop so they can meet the minimum number, then
      they will put people from Premier on it and once they give it their blessing workers from MM then the public. Reason I
      know this is a coaster show was explaining the process from Outlaw Run and they mention other parks do the same thing.

41. Dylan

06/06/2013 at 11:39 am

They started testing today!!! The photos are on thrill capital insiders Facebook.

• Dane. P

06/06/2013 at 8:38 pm

Thanks bro

42. LoAlexandria

06/07/2013 at 12:14 pm

Soooo so sad I’ll not be able to go on a full throttle ride 🙁
    Will be in LA for just a few days next week, really wanna make it into the park and get onto as many extreme rides as I can since I wont be able to get back there in the next few years (living in Germany – mostly poor coasters over here :/)

Any pro advice on how to get through the park (in just 1 day) riding most (or all) the fun/extreme rides?

06/07/2013 at 12:31 pm

Spend the money on a Gold Flash Pass. You’ll get to ride just about everything and have a much more enjoyable day.

• LoAlexandria

06/07/2013 at 12:58 pm

Is the park so crowded? I could imagine ppl are holding back until full throttle will open, not sure though. Not sure about CA vacation times either.