Height Restrictions By Ride At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 06/05/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Height Restrictions

The following is a list of height restrictions, by ride and attraction, at Six Flags Magic Mountain. If you’re planning a trip with little ones, make sure you check their height against the rides they want to go on before you arrive. Nothing turns vacation excitement into disappointment faster than being told you are too short to go on a ride.

If you are visiting the park with a child that is close to the height limit, they may constantly get measured by the ride operators every time they go on a ride. A little known park tip is to take them to Guest Relations at the front of the park for an official measurement. They will then get a bracelet color coded with the height that they qualify for. For the rest of the day, all they have to do is flash their bracelet at the ride operators to let them know they are tall enough for the ride and they won’t get measured again.

Unless otherwise noted, these are the minimum heights required for each attraction:

1. Ezra

06/06/2013 at 12:36 am

I thought X2 was 54. huh, guess i was wrong

06/06/2013 at 1:08 am

I believe Magic Flyer has a maximum height of 54″. According to the Magic Mountain website, anyway. I knew there was a maximum because I’m too tall to ride it. Funny thing, the Timberline Twister at Knott’s, also a Bradley & Kaye ride, has a maximum height of 69″, which means that I can ride that one—and I have a few times.

06/06/2013 at 10:01 pm

Nice catch. Thanks, Eric!

3. XYZ

06/06/2013 at 6:29 am

It always amused me by how Gold Rusher and X2 have the same height limit.

4. Looper

06/06/2013 at 7:30 am

I like how “Dive Devil” is rated as a “MODERATE” attraction on SF site.

From my view I see shear terror.

5. John

06/06/2013 at 9:07 am

Per the SFMM site JetStream is a 42″ requirement even with an adult.

06/06/2013 at 9:35 am

I don’t think their web site is telling the whole story. I’ve seen little kids under 42″ allowed on as long as they were with an adult. I also have a ride height list from the park that verifies this.

6. Pinky710

06/06/2013 at 11:22 am

X2’s height limit is 42 because you can adjust the restraint to your size.

• XYZ

06/06/2013 at 3:07 pm

I think you meant 48″.

7. Victor C

06/06/2013 at 3:26 pm

I do not see why a person must be 48” to ride Gold Rusher. Space mountain is a more intense roller coaster and the minimum height requirement is 40” .

• Casey

06/06/2013 at 4:37 pm

It’s not based on ride intensity.It’s based on the rides restraint systems.They can only go so far up or down.Do you think there might be a width restriction too? JK 😉

06/06/2013 at 10:07 pm

Gold Rusher has a very rudimentary, non-adjustable, one-size-fits-all lap bar that really doesn’t even come close to touching most people. Therefore, people must at least be 48″ tall in order for it to be effective. Space Mountain has much better fitting restraints that can accomodate smaller riders.

06/07/2013 at 10:25 am

Supposedly, the new trains on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will have individual lap bars for each rider. I’ve often wondered if the trains on Gold Rusher would be modified to have a similar restraint. However, they’ve operated safely since 1971, so I highly doubt that they would change anything now. The only exception is if they got all-new trains, which I don’t see happening, either.

06/06/2013 at 6:39 pm

Just a reminder: a ride’s height limit is usually set by the manufacturer, not the park.

9. Randy D

06/06/2013 at 7:14 pm

Full Throttle is doing launches….and an article on HEIGHT is the latest!!!!????

Just joking, saw some videos/pics of test runs and came here to read more….and, this! Looking forward to your coverage….I guess you’re not into posting links to other sites to show non-Coastergay material?

• James

06/06/2013 at 8:03 pm

Randy D, Dude, the Coasterguy, Kurt, runs this website as a hobby as an enthusiast. He has a job and a family.
      You should be grateful that you get to read detailed trip reports and construction updates. Most of the others reviews/updates I read on other websites don’t offer thoughts, opinions and insight like Kurt does, they seem instead to offer a snide caption or a 3 word description.

I hope Kurt is appreciated in the way he deserves for such outstanding coverage. Unfortunately he has raised the bar so high, that you seem to take this website for granted.

BTW,also, today, he has posted some photos on twitter along with an explanation on why there won’t be a trip report.

06/06/2013 at 10:14 pm

Thank you, James. That was very nice of you!

06/06/2013 at 10:13 pm

Unless it’s something like a YouTube video, where sharing permissions are already built-in, I try not to post other people’s content without their written permission. By the time I get ahold of someone to ask permission, assuming I have the time and can even reach them, it’s probably already old news or I could have went out and created my own content.

10. Benyantis

06/06/2013 at 7:53 pm

I was at the park for the last to days and Wednesday the trains were both at the loading station and went back today and only one train was there and I think I saw the second one in the tunnel. Does this mean they’re testing?

06/06/2013 at 10:16 pm

They have indeed started testing the trains. I was there today hoping to see some testing, but it didn’t happen. One train was sticking halfway out of the tunnel, almost like it didn’t clear the loop and rolled back into the tunnel. I posted a pic on my Facebook page.

• James Z (not the other James)

06/07/2013 at 2:36 am

Do you mean it didn’t clear the Top Hat?

Why would it fail to clear the loop and end up in the tunnel?

• Seth

06/07/2013 at 4:33 pm

Technically it’s not a top hat either (In the terms of the general coaster enthusiast). But I believe that is what he is talking about, yes.

06/08/2013 at 10:11 pm

Yes, I was referring to the top of the loop, or the Top Hat.

11. drakonas84

06/07/2013 at 12:03 am

Ill be going by there tommorow as the hr department has been going to voicemail all week long and the site said to call that number for an interview. I’m trying to get on the stage crew for full throttle nights til the theatre I work at season starts again which luckily starts when there season ends.

If I see anything interesting going on ill post somethin.

12. Helen

07/16/2013 at 9:58 pm

What is the MAXIMUM rider height for full throttle??

07/16/2013 at 10:25 pm

There is no maximum height restriction for Full Throttle. However, the taller you are, or rather the longer your legs are, the more uncomfortable the shin bars are going to be. But if you only ride it once, it shouldn’t be that bad.

13. Sam Skarin

05/05/2014 at 8:25 pm

Full throttle is super fun! Actually the restraints are really good because it feels like you are going to fall out of your seat in the loop!