Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 7 June 2013

By on 06/07/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Logo

I wasn’t going to do a Six Flags Magic Mountain trip report or Full Throttle construction update this week because it didn’t seem like that much had changed from last week. However, after posting a variety of photos to my Facebook page these last two days, I changed my mind. If you follow me on Facebook, you’ve probably already seen most of these. If not, then please enjoy. These are from trips to the park on 6/6 and 6/7.

The first thing I noticed this morning as I was driving up Magic Mountain Parkway was how many buses were heading towards the park. As I rounded the corner, there weren’t very many cars, but the bus line went from the toll booth all the way back past X2:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Of course, with all those buses, the main entry plaza was very crowded:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

As I was waiting in the Gold Pass line, I couldn’t help but notice that I was standing in a small stream of water. When I turned around to see where it was coming from, I realized that it was trickling out of the planter box next to me that had been very overwatered:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Speaking of waiting, we were expecting the special Gold Season Pass gate to open at 10:20 am, just like it always has. However, 10:20 came and went with no opening. The gate agents were just standing there with their scanners in hand, so I’m not sure what the problem was. They finally let us in at 10:26. I really hope this was just a one-time thing:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

On a more positive note, the Six Flags Plaza fountain was filled and running and Valencia Falls were also streaming water in the background. It was nice to see it working again:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

The main purpose of my trip on Thursday was to hopefully get some photos and video of the Full Throttle testing. People have been reporting intermittent launch tests for the last couple of days. Since they weren’t testing at all on Thursday, I came back on Friday. Still no luck. The only change on the track I saw between the two days was that the lead car on the second train had been moved from the storage track to the transfer track:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

The first train was still peeking out of the tunnel, just like it was on Thursday. It’s a very odd place for it to be sitting. My thoughts are that it had been launched normal, but perhaps the second (or, technically third) launch didn’t occur, so it didn’t have enough momentum to carry itself up and over the top of the loop and it rolled back:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

The only real work I saw being performed on the ride on Thursday was this guy busy welding the exit ramp fence:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Fast forward to today, and there’s a ton of work being done on the station. It’s getting the framework for whatever type of roof they’re going to stick over it. It sure doesn’t look like there’s much room between the ride operator’s panel (bottom middle) and the roof support right in front of it. It also seems as if that ride op is going to be pretty much exposed to the elements at all times. There are three ramps crossing the track allowing them to do this work, so it’s pretty obvious why no testing was occurring today:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

There was a lot of ground activity on Thursday with guys setting up footer-like concrete blocks with exposed bolts. These are likely for various new support columns in the area:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

From the air on Friday, you can clearly see that concrete forms have been set for a new path, or midway, leading right towards the entrance to Full Throttle:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

From the ground on Friday, you can see lots of those new footers, as well as the new path area being worked on in the background. The guy in the yellow vest is laying out a metal mesh (you can see it in the above photo) that will help strengthen the concrete when it’s poured. You can also see that the entire hillside has been sprayed with a green substance that is probably a mix of seed and fertilizer to help regrow the area:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

From the Sky Tower, the green liquid spray is very obvious:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I had noticed on Thursday that several holes had been cut into the roof of the old Palace Games building and new HVAC ducting was sticking out, ready to be connected to some new equipment:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Somebody had asked me yesterday what the white lines were that were sticking down into the orange area of the building. I took a closer look today and they are strips of diamond plating. I hope there’s more to it than that, because that’s really ugly:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

A couple of guys were installing a large diamond-plated ring on the building today. It probably won’t be long before we see the new signs go up as well. According to the 2013 park map, the retail store will be called Got UR Back (yuck!). One of the two food locations will be called High Octane Wings. The other is listed on the map as Loaded Dogs, however we were told that name was likely going to change:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

The entrance to the tunnel is being framed up with some plywood to make it narrower. If you look in the background, you’ll see some similar framing taking place inside as well. I have no idea what they’re planning in there, but I’m glad they’re doing something special:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

The fountain in the Batman queue has been dry for awhile now. It looks like somebody may have tried climbing it for a photo op and broke it. No respect:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

It was pretty hot today and the park was filled with lots of kids, yet Jet Stream wasn’t running. Seems like that would be a ride that you would want open on a day like this:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Anyone know why there is a red carpet and rope at the Jet Stream Flash Pass entrance? You may have missed it in the above photo, but here it is from the ground:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Starting tomorrow, June 8th, there will be a magic show appearing in the Magic Moments Theater. I reached out to the park for more details, but they never got back to me. According to the park’s entertainment schedule, there will be three shows daily, at 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30 pm, Thursday through Monday. Closed Tuesday & Wednesday:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Located right next door, Hurricane Harbor began their 2013 daily operations today:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

If you have a Combo or Gold Season Pass, you have unlimited entry into either park:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

On my bus ride back to the parking lot this afternoon, I couldn’t help but notice this as it was right in front of my face. I’m guessing somebody tried removing graffiti from the plexiglass, but they used the wrong tool for the job and scratched it beyond belief:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

You know it’s summertime when you start to see just RVs in the RV parking lot:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

If anyone happens to get photos or video of Full Throttle testing before I do, and you’d like to share it, I’d be more than happy to post it. Just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll keep trying to get over there as often as I can to hopefully catch it in action.

1. Zachary

06/07/2013 at 9:35 pm

The red carpet is a special entrance for greyhound riders

06/07/2013 at 9:36 pm

Seriously?

2. Thrill Capital Insider

06/07/2013 at 9:51 pm

Those footers are for the massive round tents for the q-line and main entrance for the ride.

06/07/2013 at 10:13 pm

I kind of assumed as much, but I’m still trying to wrap my head around the difference between the covered queue entrance and the Full Throttle Nights dance area, or if there even is a difference. There are several large square footers with lots of electrical conduits coming out of them.

3. Logan Shalit

06/07/2013 at 9:51 pm

Do you think that they will eventually remove the column that sits right in front of the operator’s panel? And, did you notice that the ramp to get in
    to the station (the one closer to gold rush) got a row of gates, making two sets of lines?

06/07/2013 at 10:17 pm

I did happen to notice that, but I didn’t post a pic of it here. I can already see kids hopping back and forth between the two sides. It reminds me of the Goliath stairs. I just hope that one side doesn’t eventually get blocked off.

4. Logan Shalit

06/07/2013 at 9:54 pm

Also, will there be an onride photo?

06/07/2013 at 10:22 pm

Considering that the exit ramp dumps right back out into the Full Throttle Plaza, and there doesn’t appear to be a photo booth being built, I kind of doubt it. But you never know. Do many people even buy on-ride photos any more? If they sold a $5 USB key and only charged $1/digital photo, I’d buy them all the time. As it stands now, they’re way too expensive for me to justify.

5. Looper

06/07/2013 at 9:56 pm

We are taking short family local day trip to SFMM on Sunday. We plan on taking the Hometown Trolly from the Hyatt and taking in a couple of the Magic Shows.

We know you have the food deal, and have tried several meals. Tell me your one and only best choice for a lunch for 3 people and we will be using our Discover Card for 5% discount.

06/07/2013 at 10:30 pm

Since you’re coming from the Hyatt, I’m going to assume that you don’t visit this park very often. I’d recommend Mooseburger Lodge for a nice family lunch. It’s the park’s only sit down, table-serve restaurant. It’s air conditioned, has a fun atmosphere, and even provides entertainment. There’s also a wide variety of food on the menu, including a salad bar, sandwiches, and burgers. They even have an all-you-can-eat buffet and the prices are very reasonable compared to other food venues in the park. And yes, they will accept your Discover card and give you a 5% discount. Enjoy!

06/07/2013 at 10:13 pm

It’s too bad that the bus windows got so tagged and to be cleaned already. Unfortunately, once that starts, additional stuff is going to happen—more tagging, vandalism of the upholstery, etc. They ought to invest in security cameras aboard if they haven’t already.

I thought Hurricane Harbor opened on Memorial Day weekend. It seems like a good weekend to kick off its summer schedule.

The diamond plating on the old arcade building is indeed ugly, but it sort of fits in with the whole YOLO theme.

Maybe that green stuff they sprayed on the hillside is just painted grass to get the area “done” faster. 😉 If the weather holds out—and it should—I can’t see why they wouldn’t be able to get the area finished and ready to open. The crews just might have to kick it up a notch. With daylight at its longest, they should be able to work longer days if necessary.

I’m pretty sure that within a week you should be able to catch a test run and get it on video or at least photos.

One final thing: this coming Sunday—June 8—there’s ERT on Superman—Escape From Krypton for season passholders. I want to try and get out there for that. My sister has not ridden that ride in any form and would like to.

06/07/2013 at 10:32 pm

Thanks for the reminder about the Superman ERT. I need to get a post up about that.

06/08/2013 at 12:12 am

I just spoke to my sister and we’re going to be there for sure.

7. blake

06/08/2013 at 12:49 pm

i do not think that testing has started. i thought that they would have test dummies in the train

• blake

06/08/2013 at 12:52 pm

O they do have dummies on the trains that are stuck outside the tunnel 😀

8. James

06/08/2013 at 4:51 pm

The green stuff is to prevent erosion until the plants grow in.

06/08/2013 at 10:09 pm

But I’m pretty sure it also contains the seeds and a fertilizer for the new plants/ground cover. If you look at the photos, all they planted are a few trees, nothing else.

9. Jorgee

06/09/2013 at 11:02 am

Quick question:
    Do you think it’ll be crowded this Wednesday?

06/10/2013 at 8:13 pm

The park has been getting busier during the week now that school is out, but I don’t think it will be completely jammed.

10. josh

06/09/2013 at 6:05 pm

green stuff is called “hydro-seed”

11. josh

06/09/2013 at 6:08 pm

usually grows beautiful lush grass.Iif it is you know that will go to s#*t rather quickly

06/10/2013 at 8:16 pm

I don’t think they’d seed the hillside with grass seed because it would need to be mowed and taken care of. I suspect it’s probably something more like wildflowers that don’t need regular maintenance.