De Illusions Magic Show At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 06/10/2013

De Illusions: A Magic Spectacular

On June 8th, a new magic show debuted at Six Flags Magic Mountain called De Illusions: A Magic Spectacular. It is produced by Franz Harary Production Services, an internationally acclaimed illusionist, and stars American magician Michael Turco. I attended the very first showing and it was very entertaining.

The De Illusions show is held in the Magic Moments Theater, located between DC Universe and Colossus, just around the corner from Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom. The doors are open 15 minutes before the start of the show:

De Illusions: A Magic Spectacular

The inside of the theater is much more spacious than the outside would lead you to believe. The best part of the theater is the ice cold air conditioning, especially on hot days. There is some music and video effects to entertain you before the show starts:

De Illusions: A Magic Spectacular

The star of the show, Michael Turco, has been performing magic all over the country for several years. He spent most of 2012 in Las Vegas, performing daily shows at Planet Hollywood. The De Illusions show starts off with a video montage of past performances by Mr. Turco, including his 2011 appearance on America’s Got Talent. After that, several dancers appear on stage with music and a light show, helping Mr. Turco make a very grand entrance, just like any good magician would do.

I don’t want to ruin the show for you by explaining each illusion or trick he performs. You need to experience that for yourself. But I will say that he does a good job of mixing it up, even including audience members at times. This is him performing a magic trick using an item obtained from a member of the audience:

De Illusions: A Magic Spectacular

There was a heavy use of music and dancers between each illusion. These are some of the dancers as they setup the apparatus used in the grand finale:

De Illusions: A Magic Spectacular

Here is Mr. Turco taking a final bow, with some of the dancers, at the end of the show:

De Illusions: A Magic Spectacular

The show was fairly short, only about 25 minutes long. Surprisingly, a good chunk of that time seemed to be the opening video and all of the dancing. I could have done without all of the dancing, but I think it was necessary as filler while the stage was cleared and setup for the next illusion. I think I would have liked a slightly longer performance.

Was it the best magic show I’ve ever seen? No. But it was still very entertaining and exactly what I was expecting, so I wasn’t disappointed in the least. There was still a trick or two that left me scratching my head, wondering how the heck he did it.

I’m not even sure that the theater was half full, but as far as I could tell the park had not advertised the show at all. I’m sure that as we continue into summer, and the crowds in the park get larger, the audience will grow as well. It’s nice to have a place to catch an entertaining show and cool down at the same time. De Illusions has three performances daily, Thursday through Monday, at 1:30, 2:30, and 3:30 pm.

Have you seen the show? If so, what did you think of it?

1. Casey

06/10/2013 at 7:44 pm

Cool! It’s about time for the mountain to get a live show! Heck,they don’t even have fireworks! Why don’t they have fireworks in the first place? (I was told it’s because of the dry brush in the area)

06/12/2013 at 7:40 am

They did have fireworks once upon a time, but the fire danger in the surrounding hills is high, making it too dangerous. The fire that came close to the park just a week or two ago is evidence of that danger.

• Likegreenlantern

06/12/2013 at 11:30 am

Is the fire on x a fire danger too?

06/12/2013 at 12:11 pm

The flamethrowers on X2 don’t pose a danger because they just spit out a short, contained burst of flames from a stream of ignited gas. Exploding fireworks come from powder filled shells that burst open in the sky when ignited. Those shells fall to the ground. If there is the slightest ember still smoldering on one of those used shells, then it could, and has, ignite a brush fire. You also run the risk of a firework not getting to proper altitude and hitting the ground before igniting. They’re very dangerous in a dry, brushy area.

2. Casey

06/10/2013 at 7:45 pm

By the way,I believe they used to have fireworks…

3. drakonas84

06/10/2013 at 8:10 pm

Ya it was probably cause of brush fires. They had to basically flood the area behind what was psyclone with water before every fireworks show. Which wasn’t even there property so they may have told them to stop.

I always thought they should do something cool with the sky tower at night.

06/12/2013 at 7:46 am

After seeing what other parks are doing with lights on drop towers and tall rides, I too feel that something should be done with the Sky Tower. It’s already very iconic for the park. A high-end lighting package, utilizing state-of-the-art LED lights and computer controlled programming, could be absolutely phenomenal!

4. Mk

06/12/2013 at 2:21 am

Yeah, it guess ill go catch it on Thursday. I can’t believe I’ve already gone to magic mountain so many times this year that I’m going to just go up there Thursday to watch the show. I’ll hope on Tutsu, superman, apocalypse, and x2 since ill be there lol.

5. daniel s

06/12/2013 at 8:39 am

Do you how long the show is going to stay in the park for.

06/12/2013 at 10:16 am

Like similar entertainment in the past, I would imagine that it will run through the summer.

• David

01/13/2015 at 2:29 am

DO U BY ANY CHANCE KNOW THE LAST DUBSTEP SONG HE PLAYED @ the END OF THE SHOW

06/12/2013 at 10:41 am

I think a 20- to 30-minute show is just the right length for a theme park. To me, it’s better to leave them wanting more than to put them to sleep or make them want to get out of there. Next time I’m at the park, I’m going to make an effort to watch this show. It does look good.

7. Jeff Wesson

06/12/2013 at 11:48 am

I’m a magicican member of The Magic Castle, so my opinion may be baised, but I thought the show was awesome! I’ve seen literally hundreds of magic shows over the years, so I’ve got something to compare it to. First of all, when I saw Franz Harary there and spoke to him and found out that he is the producer of the show, I knew I was in for a real treat. Franz Harary is one of the most famous master illusionists in the world! He’s the guy who made the Space Shuttle vanish on national TV in 1994. He has since vanished the Sphinx in egypt, the Tower Bridge of London, and the Taj Majal in India. All of the Illusions that Michael is performing are actually from Franz’s stage show. Those illusions are the most ornate and elaborate props around. This show is the closest thing to a Vegas style show you’ll ever see, especially at a theme park. Great props, awesome lighting, and HOT dancers! The length of the show seems just right to me, and to answer another question above, Franz did tell me that the show will be there all summer. Highly recommended!

06/12/2013 at 12:32 pm

That’s a great endorsement, Jeff! I’ve only seen the huge, Vegas style shows like David Copperfield, so that’s what I was comparing it to. It’s probably not a fair comparison. I agree that this was a very entertaining show, especially for a theme park.

8. drakonas84

06/12/2013 at 4:52 pm

I wonder if there going to still use the magic moments for all the christian bands in july. I know they have golden bear but they have too many artists for just one stage. But I can see it beeing a big headache to have all the magic show stuff in the back and have the bands with all there equipment.

I guess technically they could use the old batman theatre if they haven’t butchered it too much for the halloween maze they put in there. But that would also require tons of equipment being needed there mainly audio and risers for a stage. They have the ability for lighting though ready to go.

06/12/2013 at 10:09 pm

I wasn’t aware they used the Magic Moments Theater for the Jubilee event. I thought it was all in the Golden Bear Theater. I highly doubt they’ll use it if the magic show is still there. They wouldn’t want anyone around the magic show equipment. The Sports Action Theater is all dressed up for the Aftermath Fright Fest maze. They definitely won’t be using that.

9. XYZ

06/12/2013 at 7:08 pm

This looks much better than that pathetic music + random lasers show from last year. I’m happy that Magic Mountain finally has at least one show.

06/12/2013 at 10:12 pm

I did manage to experience the laser light show late last season. I thought it was pretty bad. I don’t even think I wrote anything about it. I really liked the lasers, but the in-park interviews they did were too staged, the videos were too dated (even though I know that’s what they were going for), and the whole thing just didn’t come together for me.

10. sam

06/12/2013 at 9:07 pm

This seems like a GREAT improvement from that crappy laser show last year. Can’t wait to see it when I come back this year. What other entertainment do they have this year? They still haven’t put anything on the website.Do they also still do Rhythm of the Night?

06/12/2013 at 10:16 pm

I stopped by Guest Relations on Saturday after the magic show to get a copy of the 2013 Entertainment Guide. The older gentleman working in there was pretty abrupt and said the entertainment hadn’t started yet. I said that I had just come from the magic show and was wondering if they had anything else playing. He said no, not yet, so I have no idea what is planned. They do have a large ad for a 4th of July event in their park map. I’m thinking that may tie into the new Full Throttle Nights area somehow.

11. miklo de la noche

06/13/2013 at 4:32 pm

do you think they will have the batman show again this summer? any other shows? concerts with good bands?

06/13/2013 at 4:42 pm

The Batman show was cancelled several years ago. That theater is only used as a Fright Fest maze in October. I suspect they’ll have the hypnotist back as well as the Christian bands. They’ll also have the new Full Throttle Nights party, but we still don’t quite know what to expect with that yet.

• miklo de la noche

06/14/2013 at 2:45 pm

awww too bad about the batman show. i didnt know it was gone. i do remember they had a hypnotist but i never saw that show either. not much of a christian music fan either. ill be looking out for the full throttle nights to see what thats about. i hadnt been to magic in a long time. my gf got us season passes this year and we already been 4 times and still cant get enough. i read a lot of bad reviews about the place but i dont get it. aside from from a couple of smelly bathrooms and a bad food service person we have had great f(*&ing time every time we go. i even got midnight rider passes for full throttle! cant wait. would like to say hello sometime. me n my girl will be the ones wearing batman and wonder woman capes!

12. Looper

06/13/2013 at 6:17 pm

Took the time again to see the magic show today {3;30). Really tight show . He must have did 8-10 illusion. And word amongst the 15-17 year old males must be getting around, as hormones were raging for sure. . Theater was more than 1/2 filled and for sure show worthy of seeing again.

13. Zac

06/13/2013 at 11:10 pm

I’m really proud of SFMM, this show is perfect for them. I hope this show is the stepping stone for improved entertainment in the park.

14. Jeff Wesson

06/14/2013 at 8:57 am

I hope someone from SFMM management monitors this page. When I spoke to Franz Harary after the show, I told him it was the best show I’d ever seen at SFMM. His response to me was “I wish someone would tell management that”. Apparently they aren’t too happy. Of course, that was last Saturday after the 3rd show of the 1st day. Not sure what kind of response they were expecting after the 1st day.

15. Jeff Wesson

06/19/2013 at 10:24 am

The show runs until August 12th.

16. Jim

06/24/2013 at 7:31 pm

Do you know if the dancers are a group? I was wondering if they worked for SFMM, or if they were a group, or if they were working for Michael.

06/24/2013 at 8:32 pm

They’re called the Full Throttle dancers, so I assume they are park employees.

17. Joe

07/12/2013 at 1:59 am

Is this show still ongoing? I cannot find it anywhere on the Six Flags Magic Mountain site! I hope it is just an oversight as it sounds great!

18. UNKNOWN

08/06/2013 at 8:56 pm

10 dancers are in the show. 8 work with SFMM And 2 others are with LA Casting. The 8 are also the full throttle dancers at night