Don't Miss

Full Throttle Construction Update #20

By on June 13, 2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

Testing on the Full Throttle roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain started in earnest a few days ago. Videos of the testing are already making there way online, so I figured it was time that I go make one of my own. I swung by the park this morning in the hopes of catching some testing, but I was foiled again. It sounds like the testing doesn’t start until late afternoon and continues into the night. Oh well. At least I got some update photos.

Some of the construction walls have already come down. The entrance from the main Six Flags Plaza (lower-right) still has a construction wall up. A new entrance to the area (middle) is right in front of the Looney Tunes Super Store. Temporary barricades are still blocking the area off until the grand opening on June 22nd:

This is the view into the Full Throttle Plaza from that new entrance:

Full Throttle Construction Update

A lot of concrete had just been poured this morning and there were a ton of workers smoothing and brushing it. The new plaza is really starting to take shape, but that’s a lot of wide open space. It’s going to get hot in here during the summer:

Full Throttle Construction Update

From the Sky Tower, you can now see the wide path leading to the Full Throttle entrance. Does anyone know if they have done any testing with two trains yet? It looked like they were loading up the second train with water dummies. You can also see a guy in an orange hard hat on the right installing new fence posts:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Still no cover on the station, but you can see more of the air gates being installed:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Covers have started going over the entrance ramp. I assume that the cover over the station will be similar. If so, that’s going to be a wet wait in the lightest of drizzles. If you look at the shadow, half of the walkway isn’t getting any shade at all:

Full Throttle Construction Update

This must be the new stage/dance floor for the new Full Throttle Nights entertainment:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Other than the colors and the diamond plating, I think this building looks pretty good. High Octane Wings on one side, Loaded Dogs on the other, and retail in the middle:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The new HVAC equipment is starting to be installed on the roof to cool the interior:

Full Throttle Construction Update

According to the 2013 park map, this is still going to be Airbrush and Glass Crafts. They must just be giving the building a makeover to match the Full Throttle theme:

Full Throttle Construction Update

From the ground, the station still looks the same:

Full Throttle Construction Update

They were installing new lights on the station for nighttime operations:

Full Throttle Construction Update

They must have painted the roof of the old Log Jammer station. It was really green:

Full Throttle Construction Update

This is EXACTLY how I look after a long roller coaster marathon session:

Full Throttle Construction Update

The temporary barricades have finally been removed from the Superman Plaza:

Full Throttle Construction Update

They have added what looks like an ornamental ring of roller coaster track around the Full Throttle track, right where it enters the tunnel. I’m really hoping this is used to create a shroud of fog that the coaster must punch through to enter the tunnel:

Full Throttle Construction Update

They have also dressed up the new tunnel entrance with some flames:

Full Throttle Construction Update

As I was leaving, they were starting to remove even more of the construction walls:

Full Throttle Construction Update

This is the midway connector between the Full Throttle and High Sierra Territory areas. I suspect the walls were in the way of them pouring and finishing that concrete:

Full Throttle Construction Update

I also noticed on the way out that what has been the construction entrance to the site will eventually be blocked off. The only way in out of the area will be through one of the three entrances I called out above:

Full Throttle Construction Update

That’s it for today. Only nine more days until it’s open to the public. Everyone excited?

1. Jaryd Sparkman

06/13/2013 at 11:08 pm

Super Excited, sadly I can’t be there for opening, but I can still check your site to see the finished product.

2. XYZ

06/13/2013 at 11:12 pm

Looks good. Hopefully, they won’t delay the opening another week as they still have a good amount of things to do, as seen in the photos.

3. Zac

06/13/2013 at 11:18 pm

I have a feeling something big is going to go right on top of the new food/retail building. Why would they leave a gap in the diamond plating?

4. Jasper

06/13/2013 at 11:21 pm

@XYZ, the progress was only about half this far on tuesday, i think they will make it!

06/14/2013 at 12:02 am

Right now, the days are at their longest, so they have more daylight to work on this. As we’ve seen a lot can be done in a short amount of time. They can still test Full Throttle and make adjustments while other things are going on.

As for that ring around the tunnel, spraying mist or fog would be a great effect. On another note, I hope they go back and finish some of the work on the face of the tunnel. There are gaps in the paint and decoration.

For the first time, I will say that I’m finally getting excited about this ride, and it’s only another week until I get to ride it.

• Max

06/14/2013 at 1:00 am

hey eric.
      I joined ace but don’t know where to go for the full throttle event..
      can you help me out plz?

06/14/2013 at 2:10 pm

The call for ACE members to do this went out earlier this week. Since the Full Throttle train only holds 18 people, the spaces were filled quickly. However, now that you’re an ACE member, you will be notified of similar opportunities in the future.

6. MichaelOchs

06/14/2013 at 12:10 am

I am also very excited, however I mos likely will not be able to go, because my family doesn’t have the cash, however I am going to Knott’sBerryFarm on the 26th for my birthday so woohoo, just really wish I could actually be at an opening day for a coaster.

7. Brenden

06/14/2013 at 12:31 am

As excited as I am, I feel they have gotten lazy in a rush to get it opened on time. THe station is not looking exciting, more just a simple building, and it just all looks so sloppy! I’d love to hear everyone’s opinion

8. Phil

06/14/2013 at 3:14 am

Thanks for the update, I too am worried about that wide area of concrete that once used to be a rather scenic water attraction. Why they couldn’t keep some of the old trees or water touch to keep the areas “cool” instead of tearing everything out and laying huge areas of concrete is beyond me. I will wait until the finished product, but right now I don’t really get whats going to be so unique about the plaza.

As for TPR stealing your content, I’m sorry to hear that they’ve now latched on to The Coaster Guy. Tell them to take it down, and if they don’t please report them. They’re dishonest and ban people who don’t agree with them, and now (sadly, not the first time) they’re allowing stolen content to be shared through their site. They have no business even touching your content without proper citation.

I wish there was a coaster site I could visit without that crew ruining everyone’s good time. Wish you the best Coaster Guy!

• Brendan

06/14/2013 at 11:01 am

It was just some random member of TPR’s forum that took the picture. Not the website as a whole. They didn’t use it in a trip report or an update or anything. Just some member of the forum took one picture. Honestly if someone told the staff of the site, the member would be banned. No need to make big generalizations and assumptions.

06/14/2013 at 2:13 pm

I’d like to reiterate what Brendan said. It wasn’t TPR that took my picture, but rather one of its members. TPR itself didn’t do anything wrong here and I hope I didn’t imply that.

9. Johnathan

06/14/2013 at 4:47 am

Gold pass members check your email to sign up for early entry on June 22 from 8 to 10am! Also tickets are availiable for a June 21st midnight preview for 50 dollars that includes dinner and a full throttle t-shirt!

10. drakonas84

06/14/2013 at 5:02 am

Ya the full throttle nights area so far doesn’t look anything close to the artist concept or permanent. I’d also hate to be the ride operator its gonna be misrable hot. Whatever happen to them making decent loading areas.

Also so are they not going to have a net or anything over the superman walkway from that ride? I could really see some punk kid chucking stuff at peoples heads while passing by.

06/14/2013 at 2:16 pm

I certainly hope that doesn’t happen. Besides, a net underneath the track won’t do any good. You could just as easily lob something over the top of it and onto the coaster. You’d have to completely envelop the track over the plaza, and that’s just silly and won’t ever happen.

11. Andrew

06/14/2013 at 7:47 am

I think they’ve done more work in the last week than they have since August when the announced FT.

06/14/2013 at 2:18 pm

I don’t think so. It just appears that way because everything they are doing now is visible whereas everything leading up to this point was behind the scenes, like electrical work. I think they’ve been working hard the entire time.

12. Jeff Wesson

06/14/2013 at 8:43 am

I can not wait! I’ve got my vouchers to get in at 8:00am, and have a hotel booked for the night before. Can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait can’t wait!

06/14/2013 at 2:19 pm

Awesome! They’ve already run out of those vouchers for Gold Pass holders.

13. Brendan

06/14/2013 at 9:40 am

That wrap around the tunnel entrance looks really sloppy. Saw it the other day and it was not cut to fit the entrance at all. Lots of wood showing around the edges. Luckily on the ride we’ll be moving too fast to notice I guess. I just feel like after a while the paper wrap will start to rip and tear more.

• Phil

06/15/2013 at 4:05 am

Really looks like something some 12 year olds could have put together in a couple days…

14. Mike

06/14/2013 at 12:44 pm

Are the cars sides going to be open like they are now or are they going to be more enclosed and I agree the entrance ramp needs a better cover and they are being sloppy with the station

06/14/2013 at 2:19 pm

What you see now is the finished product. They are nice and open.

15. brandon

06/14/2013 at 12:50 pm

Now I know that with any construction project you have to design your site, figure out what materials you want to use and get those plans approved. And I know that there’s always a budget to consider. BUT…

Is it just me or is the design asthetic of this addition coming across as really “cheap”? I mean look at the relatively lightweight “cheap” covering they are putting in for the station? And I also decry the positioning of the main control panel facing the south…aka into the sun for most of the day for most of the year. I understand the “guts” of the ride will be under the load side, but that’s going to be brutal unless they devise some other shade structure.

And I hope that “stage area” is temporary for the opening. Those lights do not seem like they are weather-proofed in any way. That LED curtain will be ok (as there are a few places here in Vegas that have similar elements exposed like that), but the rest?

I really appreciate the park is adding something and refurbing an area of the park, but it seems like they are going “cheap”. You can make something look really nice without spending a lot, but it’s like they gave up on themselves.

And whats with all the diamond plating everywhere…and the flames entering the tunnel.

16. carlos soriano

06/14/2013 at 1:57 pm

will they be able to install a roof on top of the loading station by opening day?

06/14/2013 at 2:21 pm

I’m pretty sure that type of covering could be strung up in a couple of hours, or less depending on how many guys you have working on it.

17. Adam

06/14/2013 at 4:04 pm

Kurt what is the purpose of the old Log Jammer station? I thought it’d be for an indoor queue but it seems thats on the other side by the loop.

06/14/2013 at 4:21 pm

They kept that half of the old station because they wanted to maintain a separation of themed areas between Full Throttle and High Sierra Territory. It’s most likely going to be used for tools and spare parts storage for Full Throttle.

06/14/2013 at 11:13 pm

Honestly, there isn’t very much of High Sierra Territory left. It’s only the big tree, the Golden Bear Theatre, and the Timbermill restaurant, along with a few small gift shops. I wonder if they might squeeze in a Sierra themed ride in some of what’s left of the old Log Jammer area?

18. Pingback: 2013 Neuheit: Full Throttle (Premier Rides, Launch Coaster) @ Six Flags Magic Mountai - Seite 12

19. Patrick

06/14/2013 at 5:48 pm

I’m going to be going June 25th I’m hoping to get there early so I can get on full throttle right away, with a small line!

06/14/2013 at 9:24 pm

If you’re a season pass holder, make sure you register fo the ERT at 9:30. Otherwise, there will already be a huge line waiting for you when the main gate opens for the day.

• Patrick

06/14/2013 at 10:17 pm

I did, I’m actually a gold season pass holder and I noticed they had a special ride time for those with a gold pass but its sold out! So I decided to sign up for the other ert on June 25th and I made it in, so I will be there at 9:30 a.m. on June 25th can’t wait!

20. JJJ

06/14/2013 at 8:51 pm

I agree with many of the comments here. It doesnt just look cheap….it looks so temporary. If this is a ride thats going to be around for 30+ years….build an actual station!

Do the designers not visit the park? It get brutally hot. I’ve seen people faint in lines before. Would it kill them to design for the weather?

06/14/2013 at 9:27 pm

I’m not sure I’d fault the designers. They come up with the concepts, but it’s ultimately the park’s decision to approve one. The park made the decision to build it like this.

06/14/2013 at 9:33 pm

Related note: The one and only time I’ve ever fainted was in the line for Star Tours when it first opened at Disneyland. I was tired from my long drive down from Oregon the previous day, I didn’t eat breakfast, I was dehydrated, and I dressed way too heavy for California. After standing in the sun on the midway for at least an hour, and still not making it into the building, I faded to black. Woke up in the shade with medical personnel putting ice packs on my neck.

21. John

06/14/2013 at 9:35 pm

I can’t believe they did not build a decent station for the so-called “World’s Tallest Looping Coaster”… I hope it holds up during a big wind storm.

22. Gregg

06/15/2013 at 7:17 am

Thanks for the update Kurt. On one hand if the open space and no shade surprises me. On the other hand it doesn’t. They are in such a rush to get it open its kind of obvious they are just trying to do whatever works. Sad that we won’t get any air conditioned themed queues like we got with Green Lantern and Lex Luthor. This actually reminds me more of Screams station but instead of a parking lot we have concrete in what used to be one of the nicest areas of the park. Sad.

• Casey

06/15/2013 at 7:09 pm

Green Lantern has no a.c. whatsoever. It’s always so humid in that building.

23. tacalert

06/15/2013 at 8:16 am

I can already see someone shimmying up that support column of the ride from Superman plaza.

That is way to much concrete for what used to be a beautiful area of the park. But like all things SFMM, it is the new normal.

24. JJJ

06/15/2013 at 10:54 am

I also agree that they should have respected the logs by adding fountains, jets etc to the area.

25. Patrick

06/15/2013 at 2:37 pm

I’m hoping that when it opens they are fast at loading people

26. Mikey

06/15/2013 at 6:34 pm

SO question:
    I have seen some videos of them testing I such as screamscape and it only shows the train being launched twice one into the loop and one out of the tunnel. There was no launch/pause in the tunnel shooting you backwards. Can someone please explain thanks!

• Casey

06/15/2013 at 7:10 pm

There is a backwards launch at 1:11 in the video.

• Mikey

06/16/2013 at 11:54 am

Oh I see it now, it was just a small glimpse didn’t even realize it. Thanks.

27. Andrew

06/15/2013 at 11:18 pm

I’ve only been on Green Lantern once and it was on opening day. I hope they’ve added air conditioning since I last went. Does Lex Luthor have an A.C?

• Brendan

06/16/2013 at 12:38 am

Yes, Lex Luthor does and it definitely feels great on a summer day!

28. Andrew

06/15/2013 at 11:19 pm

About your Star Tours story, was it the original or the Adventure Continues?

06/17/2013 at 10:15 am

The original. This happened back in 1987.

29. UNKNOWN

06/16/2013 at 12:00 am

Testing with two trains started today. They test ran it a lot today like nonstop. The trains move faster through the loop and top hat now compared to the first test run. My question is that the queue looks really short and you know that lines will definitely be about 1-2 hours will they wrap it around the park or have temporary switchbacks?

• Andrew T

06/17/2013 at 3:22 pm

Wish there was a POV of the ride that would be awesome to get to see whats in the tunnel.

06/18/2013 at 4:20 pm

I want it to be a surprise!

06/18/2013 at 4:20 pm

The bulk of the queue is going to be in the Full Throttle Plaza, with just the tail end of it going under the ride and up into the station. I don’t think it’s going to be that short.

30. Jack Curulicio

06/16/2013 at 4:20 pm

I leave southern cal the day it opens. Fml

31. Justin

06/17/2013 at 12:26 am

I’m going June 27. How early do you think I should get there to be up front in line?

06/17/2013 at 10:16 am

VERY early. You can interpret that however you want.

32. mark

06/17/2013 at 1:17 pm

If they want the full concrete experience they could paint the concrete with stripes to make FT look like a parking lot coaster …

It is shocking they don’t actually have a real covering over the station and queue line, perhaps they will have vending machines to sell bottled water and corn syrup at five dollars a bottle while waiting.

• Andrew T

06/17/2013 at 3:21 pm

I think 5 dollars is an overstatement and it will be around three and maybe the covering through the line cue is temporary until they update the ride again, but I think it goes along with the theme.

• Phil

06/17/2013 at 7:16 pm

Update the ride again? It’s brand spankin’ new!

They took out trees and a decent size pond and water fountains, tore up the whole area and put in concrete. Blech. I wish they could have at least incorporated the aesthetics of the past area a little better.

Now when it’s 100+ degrees outside you’ll be standing on hot concrete with the sun beating down on you.