UA-20143982-1 Full Throttle Opening Day At Six Flags Magic Mountain -The Coaster Guy

Full Throttle Opening Day At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 06/23/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

Saturday, June 22nd was the official Full Throttle opening day at Six Flags Magic Mountain. The day before was the Full Throttle media day, however today was the first day that the general public was able to take their first ride on Full Throttle. I knew it was going to be crazy busy, and I was going to avoid the park all together, but my son really wanted to ride it and I thought it might be fun to gauge the public’s reaction to the ride, so we headed over to the park.

I knew there was a special ERT event on Full Throttle for Gold Season Pass holders from 8-10:00 am today, and that the park opened at 10:00 am, yet we still didn’t pull up to the parking toll booth until about 9:30 am. To my surprise, every single lane was open for business and there was virtually no line. The first parking lot was not yet filled, but it was getting close. There were multiple buses running, but we still walked to the front gate. Again, all the security lanes appeared to be open and there was virtually no wait here either. Nice! We ended up in the Gold Pass line at about 9:45 am with only about 30-40 people in front of us. The general entry line was already backed up across the plaza.

At exactly 9:50 am, the Gold Pass gate swung open and we were off to the races. Almost everyone started running to the Full Throttle Plaza. By the time we got there, the single file line was already stretched out across the plaza:

Full Throttle Opening Day

I was informed yesterday that the park will likely install removable stanchions underneath the plaza canopy. That will allow them to reconfigure the queue layout as needed, as well as remove them completely for special events. In the meantime, barricades have been setup to keep the queue orderly. We were handed a numbered ticket upon entering the queue to mark our place and prevent people from cutting in line. There was a sign at the entrance to the queue that said ‘1 hour wait’ from this point. However, having never had this many people in line for it before, it occurred to me later that they probably hadn’t timed it yet to see how long the actual wait would be:

Full Throttle Opening Day

Since there was an ERT event already in progress when we entered the park, we ended up about halfway through the queue. The FTTV (Full Throttle Television) was easily viewable from just about anywhere under the canopy:

Full Throttle Opening Day

The line was moving remarkably fast. It seemed like we were almost constantly moving, until a train would misfire, but they seem to be getting much quicker about resetting everything after that happens.

By the time we reached the entrance to the station ramp, it looked like the entire queue behind us had been filled. This is also where they collected our numbered ride ticket and they were checking to make sure the numbers were sequential. I appreciated that:

Full Throttle Opening Day

From the station ramp, I could see that the entire queue under the canopy was filled, but there didn’t appear to be a line backed up across the plaza anymore:

Full Throttle Opening Day

There’s actually quite a bit of distance between the canopy and the top of the ramp, which obviously holds quite a few people:

Full Throttle Opening Day

It took us about 25 minutes to get from the middle of the queue to next in line to ride. I noticed the park president, Bonnie Rabjohn, was asking people their impression of the ride as they exited. Everyone really enjoyed the ride, which put a big smile on her face:

Full Throttle Opening Day

Bonnie was gone by the time we got off our ride, which kind of bummed me out, because I never got a chance to speak to her yesterday.

As you exit the ride, you pass underneath this canopy, which is where they were handing out the numbered tickets to people getting in the queue. As I passed through, I realized why there wasn’t a line of people through the plaza anymore:

Full Throttle Opening Day

They had setup a makeshift queue out of ropes and a few barricades that extended through High Sierra Territory, past the old Log Jammer station and Mooseburger Lodge, past the construction wall, and almost to the Golden Bear Theater plaza. And this was only around 10:30 am or so! As we walked past, the line was still getting longer:

Full Throttle Opening Day

I heard whisperings of an eventual four hour wait today, but I never did get a confirmation from anyone on that. With how fast our line was moving, I find that hard to believe, but I also don’t know how many times they had to reset the ride due to rollbacks. I’d appreciate people posting their longest wait today if you were in that line.

I went up to the Superman Plaza to get some video and guess who I ran into? Bonnie! She was just quietly observing the Full Throttle trains go by overhead with loads of screaming, happy park guests. Of course, that made her very happy as well. We had a nice conversation about the ride and how well it fit in the park. I was glad I got to speak to her here rather than during the hectic day we had yesterday. It was very pleasant:

Full Throttle Opening Day

With a line that long, I was happy to get in one ride. I’ll probably ride it first thing in the morning during each visit, but wait for the crowds to die down a bit before I attempt any night rides. Unfortunately, I think that’s going to be awhile. If you have some good stories about your first ride on Full Throttle, let’s hear them!

1. Doug

06/23/2013 at 9:04 am

Hey I am new- Any ways I am going for the regular season pass ERT on monday and planning to show up before they let us in- anyways- how long do you think we will have to wait? Also I am gonna check and see if it is sold out yet- thank you!

06/23/2013 at 8:35 pm

I’m not sure I understand the question. The ERT is scheduled from 9:30-10:30 am. If you are registered for the event, you’ll get let in at 9:30 am.

• Max Arriaga

05/15/2015 at 8:09 pm

Hey coaster guy? Do you happen to know all the music titles and artist that play on the big screen of the full throttle ride?

2. Johnny

06/23/2013 at 9:08 am

Heading out there Tuesday morning. It will be interesting to see how the weekday crowds are. It’s also suppose to be mid 80’s that day, which ain’t so bad considering it’s going to hit 100 a few days later.

3. Vince

06/23/2013 at 9:13 am

I was lucky to have a ERT ticket at 8-10
    We stood in line for no longer then 20-30 minutes before we got to ride it. It is an amazing ride. We love it. I actually got to ride it three times. Yeah it might not be 100% completed with everything but those are just the small details. Can’t wait to ride it again.

4. Brenden

06/23/2013 at 9:22 am

I know I commented on the media day post, but I may as well share my full experience here. I started at the canopy and waited 2 hours (this was with a 20 minute delay due to a rollback). The video screen and music was entertaining at first, but got repetitive. The ride itself was amazing! It was all bout the lapbar. The feeling of being upside down on the loop, the dive loop, or the airtime on the top hat was a great feeling! I heard talk of audio on the ride, I heard none. Where could it have been? I for once bought a picture and frame to commemorate the experience. Yes it was on the high side ($30), but worth the memory. The food was adequate, with a long wait due to the fact that they take the order and hold until you get your food. Got UR back isn’t a good name, but nice store on the inside. I like the Freestyle machines. The whole color scheme of the plaza looks great, and the misters are a nice touch! The only few thing I would fix are a better line queue under the canopy (more organized), a more recognizable audio system (which i mentioned earlier), and a cover on the station for those employees. I also heard them complain they only get one jug type things (I cant think of the name) of water for the day. Poor guys, seriously. Full Throttle is my new favorite ride I bthink and I hope everyone gets a chance to ride it.

5. Zac

06/23/2013 at 9:25 am

Full throttle nights is amazing!!!! It honestly just one huge party and its so nice to have so much entertainment in one zone. SFMM really hit it out of the park.

06/23/2013 at 8:36 pm

I’m really looking forward to checking this out myself in the next couple of nights.

6. Webb, R

06/23/2013 at 9:30 am

Also went to the ERT. I was also surprised on the fast turn around. Standing in line I was was daydreaming that they would have continued the circuit after the top hat. I hard 180 right turn bank into a high embanked arc through the loop. I would of helped with the flow of the second half of the ride.

On a side note. I rode Lex Luther that Saturday and the first time experienced the tower while a Superman car was launched onto the tower. Wow did that tower sway. It was an intense experience. It definitely puckered me right up.

06/23/2013 at 8:37 pm

Ha…”puckered” is definitely the right word the first time you experience that feeling!

7. Daddio

06/23/2013 at 9:30 am

My son and I got to ride Full Throttle during the Midnight Riders event. I must admit going through the big loop in the back was crazy especially since sometimes the car would just barely make it through the loop. The rest of the ride was fun as well like the backwards launch in to the dive loop which produced quite a bit of hang time. The top hat feature was also really unique as well. Overall a really good ride. We will definitely ride again but try to get a seat in front so that we can experience the difference from the back. Also, coaster guy thank you for all of the reports you do as it is nice to see the updates and hear of upcoming events happening at the park.

8. James

06/23/2013 at 9:50 am

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for all of the updates on construction of this ride since it began.

A very professional job, with actual descriptions and opinions to accompany photos instead of a one line of text like “dirt” or “twisty” make your trip reports and construction updates far more superior.

On another note, have any of the management or staff hinted or given you an impression if plans for next year?
    What would be your guess?

• Brenden

06/23/2013 at 10:34 am

I’ve heard many rumors of Colossus getting the iron horse. Hope that’s not the case. You just don’t tamper with classics like that. If they had to do something with it, I’d hope just to put it in reverse all the time

• Ralph Fr3m

06/23/2013 at 11:05 am

they did it to the old rattler in texas..so i wouldnt b suprised

06/23/2013 at 8:52 pm

Everyone considered Log Jammer a classic as well. All good things eventually come to an end, but if we are lucky they will always be replaced by something better.

• Dane. P

06/24/2013 at 1:48 pm

I’m sorry but I disagree a rollercoaster should be fun, and that ride hurts to ride.

• Adam

06/24/2013 at 2:21 pm

Not true at all! Took a ride on it Saturday and it was riding great! Smooth (except for double up before the 2nd turn-around which has been rough for a while), fun, and pops of airtime on the first 4 drops! Love Colossus but wouldn’t be too bummed if they did a hybrid revamp!

06/23/2013 at 8:50 pm

Nobody in Six Flags management would ever dare say exactly what their plans are, however I still have a guess based on the reaction I get whenever I ask someone that question. I’m getting the impression that they are going to take a year off from adding any major rides and just focus on improvements around the park, but I’m not quite sure what that means. It could mean expensive improvements like new trains for Revolution and paint jobs for Tatsu and Scream, or less expensive improvements like new water fountains and restocking the park’s cleaning supplies. It could also be improvements to things we don’t necessarily see, like their operating procedures or new POS systems. I’m going to write a post on my dream list of changes in the park for 2014, but we’ll have to wait for their official announcement in a few months to know what they really have planned.

• Ezra

06/24/2013 at 10:01 am

Maybe they will re-add the monorail next year. It would really benefit the park as a means of transportation. However that means the Orient Express will have to go. =( I think that small/ expensive improvements will be good for the park, too.

9. brandon

06/23/2013 at 10:35 am

interesting looking layout to the queue, but i am more interested to see how the area evolves over time.

10. Brenden

06/23/2013 at 10:42 am

One other question, I have considered joining the ACE. Is there an age limit, and is it worth joining

06/23/2013 at 8:57 pm

I just checked the ACE web site (www.aceonline.org) and memberships are extended to any individual. There is no age restriction. Between their magazine, newsletter, special events, and annual convention, I feel that it is a very worthwhile organization to support and I am proud to be a member.

• Brenden

06/24/2013 at 7:23 pm

Where is the convention and when?

11. Mike

06/23/2013 at 10:45 am

will they end up putting down permanent queue lines or will they just leave it as it is now?

06/23/2013 at 9:03 pm

As I mentioned above, they are considering using removable stanchions. Those are the small poles that can be slipped into and out of holes that they’ll drill into the ground. You simply insert a row of them into the ground, add some chain between them, and you have an instant queue. If it gets busy and you need a bigger queue, you just add more stanchions as needed, assuming you have enough holes in the ground for them. If they want to host a private luncheon under the canopy on a day the park is closed, they simply remove the stanchions and setup some tables. It’s a very versatile system.

12. Ralph Fr3m

06/23/2013 at 11:04 am

i rode it three times yesterday and last one at night hands down favorite ride! totally legit area at night with the dj and the band!!! and man that screen with the dubstep music just pumped everyone up while they r waiting! I hope they do something to that tunnel and about that station cover they kept it off because i talked to one of the managers at the station n they said it looks nice without and probably would put a cover on it in 2 weeks or so…….or even keep it off the whole summer! they really did go all out for this ride! but they do need polishing here and there…like the lights around the canape are controlled by DMX and they left the DMX box out of its place where anyone can touch it and unplug…but overall favorite place in the park and favorite coaster!

• Adam

06/24/2013 at 2:25 pm

It looks great without a station roof? Um, NO. Possibly no cover until the end of summer? What the heck is management thinking?

Think about the working conditions for your employees spending 8 hours in direct sunlight and 100 degree weather you knuckleheads!!

• Ralph Fr3m

06/25/2013 at 6:34 pm

ikr!

13. miklo de la noche

06/23/2013 at 11:41 am

i went to the midnight riders with my girl. it was an awesome night. we got there early to go in the park to get the wrist bands to ride viper and tatsu at night (the takis promotion). so from 10-11 we got on tatsu as many times as we could. its awesome at night.
    At eleven we had to get in line outside the gates to get back in for the midnight riders event. they didnt let us in till midnight on the dot. As soon as we got through the gate we ran to the ride. lots of people were running and laughing, it was a cool scene. for us the line started right where the line splits for the flash pass i think. it was my first time being so close to the massive loop. it looks huge! i thought “holy s^%t! look at that! its the biggest loop i ever seen! the biggest loop in the world!!!” When the first train took off everyone cheered and when it came back over the top hat we all cheered again even louder. the first riders came by and were all so happy and yelling it got us all that much more excited. we got on like the 5th train. they werent letting anyone pick a seat. we got one near the back. that take off is awesome and hitting the loop was crazy! hanging upside down by only the lap bar felt scary and exciting! it feels safe though. they way your locked in there, you aint going anywhere. it was tight but comfy. when you go over the superman plaza and into the tunnel was great. i got kinda lost. i was thinking i wanna see the superman logo on the floor but i was lost we were going so fast and it was so dark. the drop into the dark is really cool. all you see coming is the red ring of lights they got around the tunnel. when it stopped inside everyone was yelling and screaming. my babe is a screamer so she was going crazy! i yelled “put your hands up! Aahhhhhhhhh!!!!” and it blasted backwards and up the little drop again. you lift out of your seat and get that weightless feeling like on superman only not as long. when you blast through the tunnel again the strobe lights are flashing and you feel that third launch out the tunnel and over the loop. the view was awesome! i liked the drop after. i too was concerned about the brakes being halfway down the loop but its still a good drop. i do wish the track was longer so they didnt have to do that but its still a good drop nonetheless. everyone cheered when we got back.
    We ran around to get on again but they werent letting people get a second ride until everyone got a first one. so we went to get some food and our shirts. the hot dog was ok (full throttle dog), it was cold and the wings are great. go with the wings. i got original spicy. they finally started letting people get a second ride so we got in line. thats when the first rollback happened. they messed with it for like 20 mins launching it a few times till it started working right. that seemed to take the air out of the night. even though they had music blasting it felt quiet. a few people started making rude comments to staff as they walked by. we finally got back on, my girl really enjoyed the second ride. since she knew what to expect now , she was able to keep her eyes open and enjoy it more. i loved it of course. after that it rolled back again…. we just hung out and talked to other couples and stuff. i went into the misters to piss off my girl haha and when we tried to go for a 3rd ride we were denied. they said they were limiting everyone to 2 rides which i thought was BS. We could have made a big deal about it, my girl can get feisty but we decided to let it go. that and we were tired. it was almost 2am and both had to work in the morning. we got season passes anyways. still got 6 months left this year to ride it again and again right people! going back tuesday for the ERT. cant wait to do it in the day.

06/23/2013 at 9:05 pm

Wow…that was quite the write-up, but good stuff. Thanks for sharing! :-)

• Dane. P

06/24/2013 at 1:50 pm

How do you type this much?

14. JJJ

06/23/2013 at 12:49 pm

Hows the audio experience in the line? Is the music too loud/repetitive or is there a decent balance? Im worried that the FULL THROTTLE LIFESTYLE means the same song on loop at max volume. Is this the case or is it a pleasant wait?

• dawnerd

06/23/2013 at 5:54 pm

They actually nice quite a nice selection of music. It’s loud but not so loud it’s annoying.

• JJJ

06/23/2013 at 8:04 pm

Thats good to know

• Andrew

06/23/2013 at 8:18 pm

A lot of bass.

06/23/2013 at 9:07 pm

We still have the Airbourne song that will be added to the existing stream as well.

• Jess

08/26/2013 at 12:37 pm

Hey, what songs plays in the line of full throttle. I’m dying to find out.. It’s not the Airbourne rock songs… It was a instrumental I think, dubstep maybe… But it was so bad ass, and pumped me up! I really need to find what the song was… It went seamlessly with the thrill seeking videos up on the big screen!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE anyone who knows the song, let me know… :)

15. Tim

06/23/2013 at 1:00 pm

Looks like a great ride! Can’t wait to ride it. I’ll probably have to wait till fall to get down there. Hopefully it’s less crowded by then.

I had a thought about what the park should do next (not that my thoughts mean anything). I’m thinking it would be amazing to put in a Kingda Ka type ride that would run parallel to Superman and then shoot up and over the top of the existing Superman tower. This would add an incredible coaster to an already spectacular coaster skyline.

06/23/2013 at 9:10 pm

It sounds cool, but Kingda Ka is way too similar to Superman ever have them add it to SFMM, especially for what it would cost. They’d also never loop it over the existing Superman tower now that Lex Luthor has been added to the sides.

• Tim

06/24/2013 at 3:14 pm

Yeah, I figure they’re not going to do another launching coaster similar to Superman, but I would love to see a coaster tower above it. It would be unnecessary, but quite incredible.

16. joseph

06/23/2013 at 1:13 pm

has there been any difficulties on the ride? or the ride getting stuck?

• Candice Hargrove

06/23/2013 at 1:54 pm

I think Kurt mentioned that he got stuck inside the tunnel.

06/23/2013 at 9:15 pm

Nope, I haven’t actually gotten stuck on a train yet. The biggest issue they’ve been fighting, at least from what I can tell, is the misfired launches, both from the station and the tunnel. Fortunately, they’re getting really fast at recovering from those. There are also some minor issues with the seats locking properly. I know they took the back row of both trains out of service for awhile because it was slowing things down too much. I’m not sure if they’ve resolved that yet or not.

• Andrew

06/23/2013 at 9:16 pm

It has been resolved. They were running all seats today.

17. Logan

06/23/2013 at 2:21 pm

My friend and I went yesterday and got to the park at 8:45. We did not have ERT passes, but they let the line of gold passes that were standing there in at 9:05! The line was 20 minutes when we go to full throttle an we rode it twice. We then rode it twice in the afternoon (wait time was about an hour both rides) and went on it at night. There was a misfire at night which added to our wait time along with a train getting stuck in the tunnel. Even without these difficulties though, the line would have been roughly an hour and a half. In the end we waited about 2 hours and 15 minutes to finally ride it one last time. We got off the ride at 10:10 and there was still a line tracing all the way back to the entrance to the queue line. It was an awesome ride and I can’t wait to ride it again!

18. Kieran

06/23/2013 at 3:13 pm

Rode it yesterday! It was amazing! Never before have I felt airtime in a loop. I only stood in line for about an hour and ten minutes. Petty short for an opening day. But my family was concerned when we were waiting in line because we saw a rollback while we were next to the section in line where you ate right next to the track. It stalled at the top of loop for about 10 seconds before going backwards to the station. I have an I idea that might solve the rollbacks and stalling problem.

19. Kieran

06/23/2013 at 3:21 pm

By the way, are you aware of them changing the individual paintings of the coasters at Baja Ridge?

• Brenden

06/23/2013 at 4:46 pm

Oh yes those were amazing! They look so new and pop out

06/23/2013 at 9:17 pm

I was not aware of that, but now I must go check it out. Thanks!

• Joel Turk

06/24/2013 at 1:08 am

My son and I appear to have arrived at Magic Mountain in the same timeframe that you were there on Saturday. In looking at your pictures I believe that I see my son and another dad that were next to us, though, I’m not visible. It is the picture where you appreciatively note our sequentially numbered tickets were collected.
        I, too, thought that the Full Throttle line would only lengthen into a multi-hour wait, but I was surprised to observe something different. About 1:45p we walked past the former Log Jammer entrance, headed for the parking lot, after a horrible 1 hour wait for a ride on Scream (I couldn’t have imagined that only 1 train was running on a fairly crowded day! I guess I missed the sign to that effect?). The end of the Full Throttle line was less than a 1 hour wait…similar to when we arrived at 9:55!
        I told my son that this didn’t speak well to Full Throttle’s appeal. The park seemed packed, but this line was so short???
        From the Scream loading station we could see that cars were being parked well out on to the unpaved section of the parking lot.
        My son said that we should hop in line and ride again since the line was so short, but playtime was over as obligations beckoned us home.
        Addressing the conversation of future rides/investments at SFMM, I have been lobbying the park to install a Huss Giant Frisbee like Cedar Point’s MaXair. The good people at SFMM probably don’t know me from the next guy, but I am knowledgeable and versed in amusement parks and their relative appeal to the consumer.
        I would share some of my observations, constructively, with Bonnie R. if given the access that you may have.
        For another day.
        We appreciate your site, updates and efforts.

Thanks & blessings
        Joel

06/24/2013 at 1:01 pm

Thanks, Joel. As far as the FT line being shorter than expected in the afternoon, I can’t help but wonder if people get their one ride in and then leave to other areas of the park, thinking that the FT line will be hours long the rest of the day? That’s what I did.

• Arkhamar

06/24/2013 at 8:49 pm

And when you do Kurt, taking photos and showing them here on your site would be most appreciated 😉

• Adam

06/24/2013 at 2:30 pm

I actually miss the old school paintings but they were not keeping up with them very well. The individual paintings look like printouts, but regardless I saw people commenting on them, and I’d rather the park upkeep them however they can instead of removing them! A very unique part of this park that I don’t think I’ve ever seen anywhere else!

20. dawnerd

06/23/2013 at 5:56 pm

I went today and the ops were really on it. Some of the best I’ve seen at SFMM. The ride itself exceeded my expectations too. I was going to ride again, but they had the entire line closed off. Guess the ride broke down again in the tunnel.

• Andrew

06/23/2013 at 8:19 pm

It did.. For a LONG time. I was going to be on the next train but they gave us skip the line passes and had us come back later.

21. Logan

06/23/2013 at 10:41 pm

I’m not sure if anyone else saw this yesterday, but at around 4 o’clock a few of the construction workers were eating dinner up on the crane while watching the guests enjoy the final product they worked so hard on. It was kinda a cool thing to see if you ask me!

22. Ryan O'Neill

06/23/2013 at 11:41 pm

I own a Gold pass, but since my girlfriend only has a regular pass, I opted to wait in the regular entrance line with her. Long story short, we waited about 2 hours to get on the ride. I enjoyed the TV display of extreme sports, and although it repeated 4 times while I was under the “Saddle Span” tent, I liked the choice of music (especially “Outro” by M83…love that song). The ride ops seemed to keep the line moving quickly. The ride itself was incredible! I wish I could have ridden in the front but it was thru thrilling nonetheless.
    The best part was probably seeing each train come into the final brakes and the riders cheering every single time. It’s a real crowd pleaser!!

06/24/2013 at 1:07 pm

That was very nice of you to wait with your girlfriend and I’m sure she appreciated it. As long as they can keep both trains operational and not have any misfires, I think the line will move along nicely. The theoretical limit to how many people per hour can ride it is still low, but a moving line helps a lot. Long lines that never seem move are the worst.

23. blake

06/23/2013 at 11:46 pm

this is why i did not go opening day the line. from the look of it it is like the line for x2. very long

24. MichaelOchs

06/24/2013 at 1:33 am

Good to hear all of these great reviews, I can not wait to get down there sometime soon. For next year, I’m kind of stuck between a new ride, and repainting the rides that need it like, Tatsu, Riddler, and so on, I’d honestly like to see both, anyway going to Knott’s this week for my birthday, going to be 17, also thanks for all of these great updates, can’t wait to see future one’s , and to ride Full Throttle how does the airtime compare to the weightlessness on SEFK? Thankyou.

25. MichaelOchs

06/24/2013 at 1:56 am

Also is there speakers on the car? I can’t tell for sure.

06/24/2013 at 1:09 pm

There are no speakers on the train itself. Only in the station and in the tunnel.

26. Clyde Baxter

06/24/2013 at 5:26 am

Was one of the first to ride it on Media Day and what a rush!!! We rode it one and a half times, Train got stuck in the tunnel and they had us disembark the train in the tunnel. quite interesting to see it so close. Mighty powerful feeling and the fear is real as this ride does things to your senses that most rides don’t. The power in the first launch sends you barreling up the loop then nothing but air then weightlessness then super g-forces, oh yes this ride rocks!! Hope that the lines to tatsu and X2 will be somewhat shorter now. Have fun and Go Big!!! Go Six Flags!!!! :)

27. chilton schillimg

06/24/2013 at 9:05 am

I got in with the general public line. Lined up for full throttle right where the exit and entrance cross. Waited about an hour to an hour and a half even with the train getting stuck in the tunnel. They put me right in the middle. Wasnt nervous untill i was locked in looking at the short launch up that massive loop. What a ride that was. I like it.

Next ride i rode was lex luthor drop of doom for the first time. Wasnt that bad until i noticed being higher than goliath and still going up. Dropping like that was crazy.

Next.ride on my agenda was superman efk. Havent been on it in reverse. Heard batman and riddler were pretty much a walk on so i hit those first. Got to superman and that was awesome. Hit every coaster except revolution, ninja, appcalypse, green lantern and scream. Anyone else notice the line on ninja?
    Night was rolling up and wemt back to full throttle. I noticed one train opemed up the two back seats. Thats where i sat and its way more fun than the middle. Especially that reverse launch. Great day at the park for me.
    Btw dont remwmber the time but 30 to 40 minute wait on x2. Kinda shocked.

06/24/2013 at 1:10 pm

Sounds like you had a great day in the park, Chilton!

• Logan Shalit

06/24/2013 at 7:06 pm

Next time, do apocalypse. It is really worth it. From previous visits to the park, I have also been noticing that ninjas line was extremely long, and x2’s line is getting progressively shorter.

28. Dane. P

06/24/2013 at 1:45 pm

Question: how long was the line for X2 was every other line really short, because of it?

• Adam

06/24/2013 at 2:28 pm

X2 on Opening Day Saturday was still flooding out the queue. It is still a very popular ride and the public still loves it. Hard to blame them.

• JJJ

06/24/2013 at 9:35 pm

I keep hoping with every new ride the line for X2 will finally die down….

29. Andrew

06/24/2013 at 2:16 pm

Will there be an entrance sign for Full Throttle?

30. dylan

06/24/2013 at 7:26 pm

i know its a bit early to start talking about it but what do you guys think will be in store for the 2014 season?

31. Dane. P

06/24/2013 at 8:38 pm

BTW Kurt no idea if you know this, but who ever owns this site: http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_magic_mountain.htm
    quotes you a lot. Found this out when i googled new ride for sfmm 2014 out of curiosity. Not in the least bit useful, but interesting all the same.

06/24/2013 at 8:41 pm

His name is Lance and he used to link to my site quite a bit, but hasn’t in awhile now.

• Dane. P

06/24/2013 at 8:43 pm

ohhh ok so you know him?

32. Patrick

06/24/2013 at 10:02 pm

I’m a gold season pass holder and im doing the regular season pass ert tomorrow, I didn’t think they would let me in since I have a gold but I guess they do, can’t wait to ride ft!

33. tacalert

06/24/2013 at 10:06 pm

Kurt, in the other post we kind of mentioned we must have been close together in line. I to saw Bonnie up near Superman and said hi to her also. Guess we followed the same path without knowing it.

34. JJJJ

06/25/2013 at 8:26 am

Kurt, terribly off topic but….

Which is better, Six Flags America (near DC) or Great Adventure (NJ)?

And if you were forced to go near independence day, which day would you reckon would have the smallest crowds?

July 4, 5, 6 or 7?

06/25/2013 at 8:34 am

I’ve been to SFGAdv, but not SFA. I’ve heard from others that SFA is the worst park in the chain, but I’m not quite sure why. I really liked SFGAdv a lot! I think all four of those days are going to be very busy, but if forced I would probably choose the 5th. Just about everyone gets the 4th off from work and I’m sure the parks will be massively crowded. The 6th and 7th are a weekend, and a holiday weekend at that, so those will probably be very busy as well. I think there may be some people who don’t get the 5th off from work, so that may be your best chance for a smaller crowd, but probably not by much.

• JJJJ

06/25/2013 at 10:41 am

Thats what Im thinking. Friday might be best…. And I guess Great Adventure it is, America looks to be quite small.

I do hate theme parks in the summer though. The heat, the crowds…. Oh well, Ill enjoy it. I went to great america 20 years ago so I dont remember it, and they just made the safari section part of the park which should be cool.

• Albert

06/22/2014 at 11:11 pm

Six Flags America is quite small and they don’t have much shade. On the other hand there has been a lot of upgrades and new construction there over the last 10 years. Six Flags Great America is the SF premier park of the east. So choosing between them is a no brainer.

35. chilton schillimg

06/25/2013 at 3:16 pm

@ logan shalit. I love appocalypse. Jusr wasnt really on that side of the park. I love every coaster their. Not so much green lantern. Id much rather prefer de ja vu

36. XYZ

06/25/2013 at 6:30 pm

When I passed by Magic Mountain on I-5 on June 22 at about 12:30, the whole Magic Mountain freeway exit was full. I have never seen this many people go to Magic Mountain, so I’m glad that I was going to Northern California that day rather than going to Magic Mountain.

06/25/2013 at 6:56 pm

The SFMM exit on I-5N is often backed way up, sometimes for hours, around opening time during the summer. A new coaster opening only adds to the traffic.

37. Tyler

06/26/2013 at 2:54 pm

06/26/2013 at 3:03 pm

Why on earth would you even try doing this? There’s absolutely no good reason to be pulling on parts of the train to see what happens to come off.

• Tyler

06/26/2013 at 3:08 pm

Sorry for the wording I ment no damage to the ride I saw that it was coming off. Sorry.

06/26/2013 at 3:55 pm

If people weren’t pulling on them, they wouldn’t be coming off. It’s like the Six Flags stickers on the arm rests. Yah it’s a poor design, but that doesn’t mean that people need to be sticking their fingers through the holes. Things would last much longer if people would just respect other people’s property.

• Tyler

06/26/2013 at 4:26 pm

Ya sorry. I didn’t mean it that way. I would never do that.

38. Tyler

06/26/2013 at 2:59 pm

Magic mountain needs to fix that

39. Tyler

06/26/2013 at 3:03 pm

Next time you go on full throttle pull the black part of the seat. The seat is Velcroed to the car. You can easily pull it off when your sitting there. The headrest were already peeling off when I rode it early today. Magic mountain needs to fix that

40. Tyler

06/26/2013 at 3:04 pm

I wasn’t trying to I noticed it and looked real quik. I ment not damage to the ride.

41. Jason

06/26/2013 at 3:31 pm

I skipped the office this morning and hit up the Full Throttle ERT session. They let us in the gate promptly at 9:30 and I made the first train of the morning. Managed to swing five rides total in the hour before the gates opened to the public. At 10:33 I watched the line go from nothing, to completely full in the matter of two trains (I was waiting in the station for my last ride).

Magic Mountain has a great new ride, I loved every second of it, and the ERT session was well worth it! Bonnie came out during the ERT time and was talking to guests that were waiting, then hopped in the front row and took a ride herself. When I left the area at 10:40 I also spotted Tim in the plaza watching the ride cycle.

I might be a little biased, but having ridden both GateKeeper and Full Throttle, both on their opening weeks, I gotta say Full Throttle wins it for me.

42. Logan Shalit

06/28/2013 at 5:57 pm

Just a quick realization: Is full throttle the first full circuit backwards coaster with no switch-tracks?

43. Ally

07/07/2013 at 8:49 am

I went with my dad and my brother last Wednesday night at about six thirty and the line was only about a half an hour. The ride ops were really nice and let us get back in line when I had to take my brother to the bathroom. Full throttle was totes amazing and I actually kept my eyes opened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. Nick L

07/26/2013 at 2:14 am

Does anyone know the full list of songs used in the queue? I’m looking for the dubstep song in particular. I know Outry by M83 is used as well as the Airbourne song.

• Jess

08/26/2013 at 12:44 pm

I’m dying to find out too… Have you found out????