Don't Miss

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 4 July 2013

By on July 6, 2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

This is a Six Flags Magic Mountain trip report for the 2013 4th of July weekend. We ended up going to the park for the July 4th Fest activities on July 4th, as well as a second trip during the evening of July 5th to visit and have dinner with some out of state friends that happened to be at the park while on vacation.

Even though the park wasn’t scheduled to open until 10:30 am, we showed up shortly after 9:00 am on July 4th, with a can of Coca-Cola in hand, to get in early for the ERT on X2, Viper, Revolution, and Full Throttle. By the time we got there, the ERT line was already quite long. We were way back in the line, close to the Season Pass office:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

Even though it was the 4th of July, all of the flags were being flown at half-mast out of respect for the 19 firefighters that had just lost their lives in an Arizona wildfire:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

We figured the ERT crowd would probably be split between X2 and Full Throttle, so we chose Full Throttle. We chose poorly. I think most of the people chose Full Throttle.

When we entered the Full Throttle Plaza, I noticed there was a new fence that was now blocking of the old path that went around the Freestyle building during construction:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

I’m still not entirely sure what they do here, but I think it’s a lighting control station for the Full Throttle Plaza at night. Regardless, it has a matching new fence as well:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

From the Sky Tower, you can see exactly where the new fence was placed. Since it was dusk, you can also see some guys starting to work in that lighting control station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

Those lighting controls that were previously within arms reach of the people in the Full Throttle queue have been secured inside of an electrical box:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

The portion of the Full Throttle queue that passes underneath the track has been lined with some corrugated sheet metal. I’m sure this is a safety measure to protect the people waiting in line as the coaster launches, and vice versa:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

The Full Throttle station has finally received a covering. Although it doesn’t provide much protection when the sun is low in the sky, it’s still better than nothing:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

Here’s what the new station covering looks like from the Sky Tower:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

Another new change is the addition of storage boxes mounted to the fence on the far side of the train for people to put their stuff in while riding Full Throttle:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

While the storage boxes are marked Train 1 and Train 2, the actual trains themselves are not marked in a manner that the typical park guest would be able to tell them apart, so I’m not quite sure what good the labels actually do:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

I am not a fan of storage bins or cubby holes in roller coaster stations. As I waited in line, I carefully observed the use of these bins and determined that they add a significant amount of time to each coaster dispatch. There is not much room on the exit side of the platform, so when people exit the ride, there’s already a lot of congestion. Rather than file out the exit gate, everyone is trying to get around each other to get to the bin that has their stuff in it, making matters worse. Now add in the people that are boarding the ride who have climbed through the coaster and are trying to get their stuff into a bin and it’s a total mess. By the time those people get back in the coaster and secure their restraints, an extra 20-30 seconds has already been added to the dispatch time. It doesn’t sound like much, but for a 50 second coaster ride, that’s a considerable amount of wasted time, especially for a coaster that already has a low ride capacity. I know some people are going to disagree with me, but I don’t think people should be carrying anything when they get on a roller coaster. When it’s your turn, you should just sit down and go. When the ride is over, you get up and leave. That would make the line move so much quicker.

The stickers that were on the arm rests of the trains did not last long and have already been removed. However, new stickers have been applied on the sides of the trains. I’m thinking this would have been a good place to label them as Train 1 and Train 2:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

The remaining construction wall has been covered up with the wrap that was saved from the main construction wall that has already been removed. It looks better than the plain blue wall, however it’s kind of silly that it still says “Coming Summer 2013″:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

I was hoping that the “vendors” referenced in the new High Sierra Traders sign meant we were going to get some new retail shops in this area, but I guess this is all we get:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

Part of what was advertised for the July 4th Fest was a Coca-Cola “Open for Summer” zone, with a live DJ, refreshments, and interactive experiences. Unless it was all the way back in Cyclone Bay, I did not see it at all. What I did see was the outside of the Golden Bear Theatre setup for what I think was a concert. The small sign said “Rodeo Drive” at 5:00, 6:00, 7:00, and 8:00 pm, but I have no idea what that is. I’m guessing it was a band that was going to play that night, but I’m not sure. We hung around in the park until well after noon and didn’t see anything Coca-Cola related, so we left kind of disappointed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

Like I mentioned above, we came back the next night to see some old friends. I hadn’t been to the park in the dark for awhile and some of the lighting really caught my eye. I’m not sure if they’re new or not, but the lights around the Orient Express sign really stood out nicely. I’m guessing they are LED lights and they really looked good in the dark:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

As I was standing in front of the Six Flags Photos booth in the front of the park, I glanced over at the big ads they were showing on the large monitors on the back wall. I can’t wait for the 2012 season to get here so I can get me one of these:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

As we were leaving the park, I was amazed at how many people were actually waiting for the bus. If you’re familiar with the layout of the park, the line stretched from the front of the bus you see to where I’m standing, in front of the Sheriff’s station. I walked to my car in lot C relatively quickly, but there were cars parked all the way out in the gravel overflow lot, so I guess I’d take the bus too if I were parked way out there:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

I want to give a shout out to our friends, the Weber family, who came all the way down from Oregon to experience Six Flags Magic Mountain for the first time. They absolutely loved the coasters and want to come back as soon as possible to ride them all again:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 4 July 2013

Did anyone else hit the park this weekend? Let us know how it was!

1. Brian

07/06/2013 at 11:38 pm

I’m looking forward to riding Full Throttle. What are they working on behind the construction walls?

07/07/2013 at 9:45 am

There’s nothing being worked on behind the construction wall. It’s just separating the station from the midway. They’re supposed to eventually build a new fence here.

2. Dane. P

07/06/2013 at 11:42 pm

I like not having to use a locker on roller coasters personally especially ones where u have to pay.

07/06/2013 at 11:50 pm

To me, a dollar is a small price to pay for a secure place to leave your stuff. You won’t have to worry about your phone, wallet/purse, keys, and so forth flying out of your pocket during the ride. Some parks (Universal) provide free short-term lockers, and Disney parks have netted bags on some of their rides. When you think about it, how much extra stuff do you need to keep with you at a theme park? Rent a regular locker for a day and put that stuff in there. It’s worth the price to not have to carry it around.

• miklo de la noche

07/07/2013 at 11:07 am

i think the bins are great! i dont wanna pay an extra dollar every ride. it adds up. they should be free. and if i do rent one for the day, what if i need something? like sunscreen and im all the way on the other side of the park? i gotta take 20 mins to walk back and get it??? me n my girl got our selves some fanny packs to consolidate our stuff to get through security faster, put our stuff in the bins faster and so we dont lose anything during the ride. phone, cash, keys, atm card and season pass. i have our routine down and it works great. im back in my seat ready to go in 5 sec.

07/07/2013 at 8:45 pm

You might be fast, miklo, but not everyone is. Some people just take their time like the whole world will just sit and wait. That’s what holds up ride dispatches.

• miklo de la noche

07/08/2013 at 10:10 am

yeah, your right… me n my girl go all the time so we are pros. prolly wont go this month though because of the crowds. we got spoiled by the short lines earlier in the year.

07/06/2013 at 11:46 pm

I think I’ll stay away from there this weekend. It looks like it’s going to be quite crowded no matter which day I go.

The cover over the Full Throttle loading platform will do its job, and even though somewhat minimal, it does match the theme of the new area.

With the line for the bus that long, I hope they were running more than one or two of them. If so, it would be quite a wait.

I’m glad your friends enjoyed the park. A lot of people rag on the place, but while not perfect, it still offers a lot of fun.

The lights on the Orient Express sign could either be LEDs or fluorescent. We’ve gone to all fluorescent here at home, and the bulbs come in many shapes and sizes. Fluorescent bulbs are less expensive than LEDs, so I’m guessing the park went that route. We’ve had a few LED bulbs at our house, but their quality has been poor. One by one, individual LEDs have failed, greatly minimizing the amount of light they give off.

Least and (thankfully) last, I’m in complete agreement about bringing lots of stuff to coaster lines. This is why Six Flags added lockers to their queues. I can’t remember if it’s Xcelerator at Knott’s or another ride, but one place has a huge cabinet where they slide the cover over the train currently on the circuit, so the only one open is the one parked in the station at the time. That works, but does add time to the dispatch. People, please put your stuff in a locker or leave it with a non-riding member of your party. That will get you on a lot quicker.

4. Michael

07/07/2013 at 7:45 am

I was there on the 6th and man was it packed! Most of the time I go on a weekday but my friends came from Colorado so we went. 2 hours for X2 and it wasn’t even in thei morning. But Full Throttle only had a 45 min wait for some reason.

5. Ezra

07/07/2013 at 9:32 am

I went on the fourth and besides Full Throttle, the park was dead. I walked on Ninja, Apocalypse, Riddler’s, Batman, and Colossus. Little bit of wait on Goliath and Superman, but that was expected. 90 min on X2 and Tatsu and Full Throttle was only 45-1hr. And they have a competetion to get on Full Throttle in the front of the line. I won and got on three times for the day. I haven’t been on the front yet. Is the front better than the back?

07/07/2013 at 9:47 am

I like the front for the unobstructed view dropping into the tunnel and going over the top of the loop, but you get a much better coaster “feeling” in the very back.

6. Ruby

07/07/2013 at 11:19 am

I went on the 4th and i actually got to ride all of the rollercoasters with my friends.The lines were short, probably the longest ride i waited for was superman. I also got to watch the De Illusions magic show, it was pretty good .I was a bit bummed out cause i barely got to see any fireworks that night.The only fireworks that i saw were the ones that outside in the parking lot. I was expecting a firework show at the park. But overall, i had a really good time.

7. Chad

07/07/2013 at 11:41 am

I am coming down from Oregon to the park on Thursday. I was wondering if the best strategy is to hit Full Throttle first or if it even makes a difference in wait time and instead I should go to X2 first like before. Love the updates and Go Ducks!

8. Casey

07/07/2013 at 11:55 am

Is the audio in the tunnel working now? If not, will it be working in August.

• Justin

07/07/2013 at 1:19 pm

The audio has been working for my past two visits ( June 27 and July 4). Just no other effects in the tunnel.

9. JJJ

07/07/2013 at 3:15 pm

Kurt, which day was more crowded, 4th or 5th?

I was in Great Adventure on the 5th. Once thing I noticed is that they addressed a concern of mine: Every single ride has a cubby area designed especially for the souvenir drink cups. Not a single ride allowed you to dump your stuff (you had to pay at the lockers), but they all has the cup area. It had been a big complaint of mine at magic mountain that buying a souvenir cup could cost you $1 a ride for a locker. Has magic mountain added these cup holders?

07/07/2013 at 3:52 pm

Between the two days, I think it was busier on the 4th. However, I wasn’t there all day on either day, so my perspective may be skewed.

Some of the other parks have had the numbered drink holders for years. Unfortunately, SFMM still doesn’t have any that I’m aware of.

• JJJ

07/07/2013 at 4:28 pm

It makes no sense not to have that be uniform around the chain. I can’t see it doing anything but pumping up cup sales – you’d be amazed at the huge quantity of people I saw with one, including us.

07/07/2013 at 4:53 pm

The only reason I don’t use a sport cup is because I don’t want to have to deal with it while riding the coasters.

10. Angel

07/07/2013 at 3:37 pm

I visited yesterday and it had to be the most people I ever saw at the park. I went on Superman first and surprisingly it was a 30min wait. However as the day went on the lines got much longer, the line for Goliath began where the lockers were and it broke down as well, a rare 2 hour wait for me. Our next ride was Lex Luthor and it wasn’t bad, about 40min in line. Then I was going to ride Batmam but the line began at the entrance! I’ve never seen the line that long and I dont find Batman worth that wait so I moved along. Apocalypse’s line was really quick, like a 15min wait. Then I went to Tatsu and the queue was flooded so the line continued about 15-20 feet beyond that “alley” on the side where the line continues. They also were handing out boarding passes like how they do on Full Throttle. My next ride was Full Throttle and the line was an amazing half-hour wait! I dont know how the line was so short but i’ve learned my past 3 visits that the line is shortest around 5-6pm. I ended my day with X2 and it was a 2hr 30min wait because it broke down THREE times in a row, unbelievable. I saw group by group leave line but I patiently waited. However, I was really disappointed that the audio and fire wasn’t functioning either. It was 10:30 by then and I left. The line for the bus was about the same as your picture. It was a great day though, I got to ride Full Throttle in the back finally and the back is way better than the front. I think im going back this Tuesday in hope the 4th of July weekend flood died down.

11. Casey

07/07/2013 at 5:24 pm

What music plays in the tunnel? I was told it’s crazy train by Ozzy Osbourne.

12. Alex C.

07/07/2013 at 6:57 pm

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the speed of the backwards launch on Full Throttle?

13. Andrew

07/07/2013 at 10:16 pm

I’m going sometime within the next two weeks and want to know, what is the average wait time for Full Throttle? Should it be done first thing in the morning?

I’ve also been wondering, the queue is very short in a matter of space. How do they hold long lines just in that tiny queue?

One way I think they could store stuff while you ride would be put it right next to the train on the side that you exit, and a worker will come and put it in a cubby while you board. Though I think the absolute best way is to have a non rider hold it or put it in a locker.

• Logan Shalit

07/23/2013 at 11:09 pm

First thing in the morning, it may be over an hour-hour+half depending on the day, but if you do it later in the day, you could get a 30 minute wait. I would suggest using discover to get into the park early if you do not have the gold pass. I used the gold pass, and with just 10 early minutes in the park, I managed to get two rides on Full Throttle.

14. California Coaster Kings

07/08/2013 at 4:55 pm

We hit discoverykingdom this weekend. Check out our website and facebook page for an update. californiacoasterkings.com. Search california coaster kings on facebook

15. Bob winek

07/11/2013 at 12:00 am

I was at the park today as i was in line for FT I heard counstruction noise and it led to 2 guys working on a orange wall behind the FT blue wall just wanted to let u know

16. Tyler W.

07/11/2013 at 4:05 pm

Hi Kurt! I was there on July 4th, and it was quite empty. I saw that X2 actually had a decently long line, but I came back later at early evening and saw that the line was gone. Anyways, thanks for updating about Full Throttle! I enjoyed riding it!

(I’m the newest subscriber to ya!)