Greatest Coasters Ever Built At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 07/29/2013

The Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

The Greatest Coasters Ever Built display at Six Flags Magic Mountain recently got a refurbishment. Located on Calle de la Revolución, or “Revolution Street,” the Greatest Coasters Ever Built display showcases several of the wonderful and unique roller coasters that have been built at Magic Mountain since the day it opened.

As you walk up the path towards X2 and Viper, you’ll see the main display on your left, just after you pass under the X2 bridge. It showcases six different coasters from the park. If I’m not mistaken, I believe each one of these was originally hand painted:

Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

The previous picture was taken before the recent changes. I’m not exactly sure when this display was built, but I’m guessing it was 1982. That’s when the Baja Ridge area was built out and the Revolution entrance was moved to the top of the hill, hence the reason the path is called Calle de la Revolución.

Starting on the left, the first one was Gold Rusher. Built in 1971, it was the very first roller coaster in the park and it’s still going strong today:

Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Next to it was Revolution. Built in 1976, it was the first modern looping coaster:

1978’s Colossus was next, the world’s largest roller coaster when it was built:

Ninja was built in 1988 and is still a huge fan favorite today:

Viper was added in 1990 and sent people upside down a whopping seven times:

Rounding out the display was Scream!, built in 2003:

Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

On the opposite side of the X2 bridge, heading back down the hill, are six more individual displays. I’m not sure if these were a part of the original installation or if they were added later as the park’s collection of world-class roller coasters continued to grow. I suspect it was the latter considering that the park didn’t even have twelve coasters in 1982:

Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Starting at the far left, the first display was a generic Six Flags Magic Mountain picture:

Moving to the right was Goliath, built in 2000:

The Riddler’s Revenge was next, added to the park in 1998:

Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Next was Superman: The Escape. This said 1996, but it didn’t officially open until 1997:

Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Batman: The Ride was duplicated at several Six Flags parks. SFMM got theirs in 1994:

Last up is Tatsu, one of the park’s signature coasters, added in 2006:

Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

The changes that were recently made didn’t affect the actual display itself, but rather just which coasters are listed and how they are shown. Some of the coasters are the same while others were replaced with new coasters. Instead of being painted, like the originals, the new display appears to be like a printed poster on a metal backing, which was then mounted to the display wall. Although they don’t have the same level of artistry as the original paintings, they are very colorful and will likely last much longer. I’m sure it’ll also be easier to swap them out over time, as new coasters replace older ones.

Starting at the far left, the first six coasters listed in the individual displays are in chronological order. The first one is Colossus, from 1978:

Next up is Viper, from 1990:

Then it’s Batman: The Ride, from 1994:

The Riddler’s Revenge is next, from 1998:

Scream!, from 2003, holds the next spot:

Rounding out the first six coasters is Apocalypse, from 2009:

Moving over to the big display, 2000’s Goliath holds the first spot:

Tatsu, from 2006, is in the next spot:

Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

The first of the two larger displays is a combination of Superman: Escape from Krypton and Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom. Even though Lex Luthor is not technically a roller coaster, they do share the same tower, so I can understand why they included it. What I don’t understand is why they decided to list Superman as being built in 2011. I know that’s when they added backwards launching cars and changed the name, but it was still built in 1997. They should be proud of and embrace the history of the ride:

Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

The other large display is for the newest coaster, Full Throttle. With a 160′ record-breaking vertical loop, it seems to be worthy of being in one of the larger spaces:

Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Next up is X2. Like they did with Superman above, they listed the year that the coaster was modified and renamed, not when it was originally built. The coaster originally started life as X in 2002. They changed out the trains, painted the track, and renamed it as X2 in 2008. I think they should list it as having been built in 2002:

Last up is Green Lantern: First Flight, added to the park in 2011:

Greatest Coasters Ever Built at Six Flags Magic Mountain

For those conspiracy theorists out there, let’s talk about the changes. In my opinion, there were two coasters removed from the line-up that deserve to still be there; Gold Rusher and Revolution. Gold Rusher was the very first coaster at the park, opening in 1971, and is still a very popular coaster today. Revolution has a very prominent place in roller coaster history as the first modern steel roller coaster with a vertical loop. Both of those coasters are significant to the park and should still be listed here.

I think X2, Full Throttle, and (possibly) Green Lantern were decent additions, but not at the expense of Gold Rusher and Revolution. I think I would have removed Batman and Viper first. Is it possible that the reason that Revolution and Gold Rusher were removed was because they are on the chopping block? They’re both very old and they’re also both custom built coasters on the “mountain.” Ninja was also removed from the line-up, and it’s another one that was custom built for the hill. Just like the beloved Log Jammer was removed from the hill to make way for Full Throttle, perhaps these three coasters are also going to be removed to make way for something really special on the hill.

All of the speculation lately has been that they might be getting ready to pull Scream! out and send it to another park. However, the fact that they left it in the display tells me that they don’t have any plans to get rid of it. The only coasters that they removed from the display are the older, custom built coasters on the hill. And to add more fuel to the fire, rumors have been circulating that there are also plans to get rid of Jet Stream, which is also older and was also custom built to sit on the backside of the hill.

I’m not sure if there’s anything to this or not, or if it’s just my imagination running wild, but it sure seems suspicious to me. Why else would they remove Revolution when it was clearly one of the Greatest Coasters Ever Built, and such an icon for the park? All I can think of is that they might have some grandiose long-term plans to clear all the old steel off of the hill and completely revitalize it with some amazing new coasters. After all, the park is called Magic Mountain, so why not capitalize on what is arguably its most prominent natural feature – the mountain? What are your thoughts?

1. Ralph Fr3m

07/29/2013 at 4:08 pm

i hope they dont get ride of scream :/

2. Nicholas Burfield

07/29/2013 at 4:15 pm

I honestly would mind if they gave those two the axe; Viper too for that matter. Out with the old, in with the new.

3. Dylan Reich

07/29/2013 at 4:17 pm

No way they get rid of Revolution. It’d be hard to have another coaster replace it with where it’s located in the first place, and top of that, I still see them adding new trains when these trains are at the VERY end of their life (and no sooner will the park do this because to them its a waste of money). Just my two cents, but I don’t think they have any reason to remove it, I just think they wanted to feature their newer coasters to the general public. The GP doesn’t care much about Revolution at all.
    On the other hand, I do see them removing Gold Rusher, and while it’s their first coaster, I’d for one be happy to see it gone and have them use that space to build a nice (terrain?) coaster.

4. Andrew

07/29/2013 at 4:31 pm

With the thoughts of them removing jet stream Gold Rush and possibly ninja could only roll out a Wing Coaster like Gate keeper just m just my thoughts…

5. Julien D.

07/29/2013 at 4:32 pm

Somethig else we may see in the near future for Scream is a complete Re-Themeing of the area.
    Has anybody considered that? But we just never know when it comes to SFMM are there plans. Lets Just Hope for the best.

• Caleb

07/29/2013 at 6:10 pm

I’ve always thought they could retheme the entire Colossus County Fair area and have Scream re themed to the theme of it. Not really rethemed but spruced up

07/29/2013 at 8:54 pm

There’s the Ben & Jerry’s building sitting there empty now. They could remove that and open up some space. I’ve often wondered if the Colossus queue area could be made smaller, being that it isn’t that busy anymore (of course, that could change if we see a new Iron Colossus in a couple of years). That would also open up some space.

I keep hearing “new flat rides,” but we all know that’s not going to happen. While there are some good ones out there (Frisbee, for example), the park isn’t interested in putting that type of ride in. And, seriously, how many people who are screaming, “More flat rides!!!” are actually going to ride them?

A wing rider is too similar to X2, and until B&M creates one with rotating seats, I don’t think it would “wow” the public very much. Another thing to consider is that Tim Burkhart has said that there is enough room in the Full Throttle zone for a second—but smaller—coaster. For that, I’m thinking “Eurofighter” or something along those lines. Maybe even some extreme wild mouse ride with an inversion. Someone has to be the first, right? 😉

• Julien D.

07/30/2013 at 1:14 am

Well Eric your last section of your reply got me thinking.
        In the old Flashback zone across from the Full Throttle area, there would be plenty of room if they got rid of the old entrance building. A wild mouse ride would be kinda small but none the less cool to see, At this point i really hope scream isnt on the list for the ride rotation program, and ide be very happy to see a re-furbishment of the colossus county fair area from The entrance of DC Universe all the way down to Scream, it would be pricy but very cool to see. Like in my original comment, Lets just hope for the best. -Julien D.

08/01/2013 at 8:23 pm

I don’t expect anything to go into the old Flashback area, at least not for the theme park. There might be an expansion of the water park in this area, but not a roller coaster or a thrill ride.

• Brenden

07/30/2013 at 10:50 am

It all just sounds so dull and plain… I wanna be wowed again.

• Brenden

07/30/2013 at 1:03 pm

Completely random, but what was the point of Live It Up by Airbourne? It isn’t on the ride, or playing in the queue. Why was it made?

6. Angel

07/29/2013 at 4:35 pm

I too thought Scream would be removed from the park, maybe its just gonna be renovated or re-themed.

I honestly dont think they’d remove gold rusher nor Revolution for a long time. What I do see them doing is removing Ninja and Jet Stream and putting a coaster there. I dont know what type but thats a lot of terrain there to use if the two were removed.

Thank you for the interesting article Kurt (:

7. Tim

07/29/2013 at 4:48 pm

From what I was told when I was talking to an employee in the Sky Tower, the next attraction she confirmed is on the chopping block is Tidal Wave. I don’t think Jet Stream, Revolution or Ninja will be removed anytime soon. Removing a coaster such as those can be very expensive, especially if it will end up just scrap metal. As for the removal of Deja Vu, which is another coaster not prominently listed on the “Greatest Coasters Ever Built Displey”, was shipped to another park, so it may have cost some money, but it didn’t end up scrap metal. I hope they don’t remove Scream, that’s a great coaster, it just needs some serious landscaping, perhaps a paint job, and some theming while riding it. Most of the coasters at Six Flags don’t have much theming to their rides like other theme parks add to their rides. I am talking about landscape theming, not the queue theming. if they do remove Revolution, they will have plenty of land to build something super cool, because there’s land up and around Viper that can be utlized for a new coaster or flat ride. That whole area can use some serious help, because the rest of the park is saturated with rides and attractions, and as you stare down at the Baja Ridge/Revolution/Viper area, you can see some great potential space that can be utilized for a new coaster, but Revolution doesn’t necessarily would need to be removed, build up and over it. You can see potential as you look down at that space. Doesn’t everyone here agree or disagree? -Tim

08/01/2013 at 8:27 pm

Nothing that gets removed from the hill can be sent to another park as part of the ride rotation program because they were all custom built for the terrain. I guess you could simulate the terrain using support columns at another park, but I don’t think it’d be worth the engineering and manufacturing costs just to move an old coaster. Therefore, these coasters on the hill won’t ever be removed until they are on their last leg or in the way of something truly spectacular.

8. Caleb

07/29/2013 at 6:08 pm

Alright, so if I have it right the question is the fate of Scream, Revolution, Gold Rusher, Jet Stream, and Ninja. Let’s do this in order:

SCREAM: Scream is an awesome ride, but very neglected. It has been questionably neglected since it’s birth when it was put in a parking lot. This was the best Magic Mountain could do at the time but is still mediocre at best. As the years have gone by, I feel Magic Mountain has continued to neglect Scream for what ever reason. And on the other hand, Scream does not receive nearly as many riders as some of the rides in the park, and definitely does not get the attention some of it’s brothers and sisters get at other parks (attention both from park and guests). While I don’t think Scream would be removed and scraped, I think it is definitely a candidate for ride rotation. As much as I would HATE to see Scream leave, I think another smaller SF park could take it in and would appreciate it much more. If it was removed however, I say close the parking lot so no other coasters have to sit in such a terrible area, or actually lay another more friendly surface down.

REVOLUTION: I’m pretty sure they won’t remove it since it’s one of their classic jewels to the park but no promises. The frustrating thing about Revolution is if the OTSRs were removed, it could actually be enjoyed. But thats a problem any SFMM fan knows about.

GOLD RUSHER: I think they just took Gold Rusher off since it’s basically a kids roller coaster now. While it is a big spot of space, it offers a kind of thrill/enjoyment that Magic Mountain lacks.

JET STREAM: I think Jet Stream would stay for two reasons. First, since the park removed Log Jammer, it is the only log flume. Not like they HAVE to have a log flume, but if the problem is water they could do a lot better by removing Tidal Wave or Roaring Rapids. Going further in my second point, removing Jet Stream would be pointless if they didn’t remove Ninja. Ninja was built to work around Jet Stream so removing Jet Stream would really open up any land.

NINJA: Ninja has the same qualities as Gold Rusher; it offers a level of thrill the park lacks. And like you said, it is favored by many fans. However, if the park was to remove, Ninja AND Jet Stream, they would have a solid piece of land for a new coaster.

Just my five cents 😉

08/01/2013 at 8:29 pm

I pretty much agree with your assessment. The only thing I’d add is that instead of getting rid of Scream!, I’d like to see it get a Bizarro-like transformation and make it a must-ride coaster.

9. Adam

07/29/2013 at 6:59 pm

I think popular rumors across sites are Jet Stream or Tidal Wave getting the ax soon. I could see them put a Wing Rider (size of X-Flight) or a water ride like Shoot the Rapids where either one is. Scream going to a new park makes sense especially if RMC on Colossus takes up more room.
    For Revolution its a classic, BUT if they don’t get new trains (which I’d prefer over what I’m going to say) GET RID OF IT! Yes its a classic, yes there are valid arguments to keep it, BUT with the current trains its a pretty brutal ride so why keep something that’s terrible? As I said I’d prefer new trains over removing it, but its one of the two.
    I hope Ninja stays. It’s a great family ride and is VERY fun!
    I could see Viper going in the next 5 years and thats PLENTY of room for a giga.
    Has anyone gone up the Sky Tower to take pictures of the Deja Vu area? Curious to see if anything is going on there yet. There are also rumors of a euro fighter and that would be a great spot for one.

08/01/2013 at 8:31 pm

There is absolutely nothing going on in the old Déjà Vu spot.

• Adam

08/02/2013 at 8:00 am

Thanks Kurt! I cant think of anywhere where Magic Mountain could add something (unless they took something out which I’d guess would be done by now). I’d guess this year will just be for Hurricane Harbor.

10. Candice Hargrove

07/29/2013 at 7:38 pm

I would be so sad if they decided to get rid of Revolution and Gold Rusher! Every single time I go to Six Flags, since my very first time going, I always make Revolution my very first ride of the day. It’s become a tradition! And Gold Rusher is always fun to go on when you start getting a little worn out from going on all the bigger rides {and its just fun in general}.

08/01/2013 at 8:32 pm

I honestly don’t think either ride is going anywhere anytime soon. I was just playing with some what-if scenarios based on the changes to the greatest coaster display.

11. Casey

07/29/2013 at 7:46 pm

I think Magic Mountain needs a Vekoma tilt Coaster,although I don’t know if they still make them.They should also add one like Bizarro at Six Flags New England. Hell, even change Scream to Bizarro like SFGA. Anyway,This is what a Vekoma tilt is.

• Casey

07/29/2013 at 7:47 pm

08/01/2013 at 8:35 pm

Coasters like that are too gimicky, take too long between cycles, and are too maintenance heavy and prone to frequent breakdowns. The last thing SFMM needs is another coaster that constantly breaks down.

12. Dane. P

07/29/2013 at 10:56 pm

I would Honestly rather see Viper leave then Scream. I honestly don’t find Viper that much fun anymore. I would love a dark coaster for SFMM.

08/01/2013 at 8:36 pm

I don’t want to see either leave, but I will gladly accept a dark ride coaster.

13. Zac

07/29/2013 at 11:18 pm

I could see SFMM expanding the DC Universe theme down to scream (colossus & magic moments theatre included) and up to the riddles revenge (sandblasted and the scrambler included). I actually feel that this would make the area more alive and tie the theming of the park back together

08/01/2013 at 8:37 pm

I agree, and there is a ton of room to add new things between Lex Luthor and the Scream! plaza.

• Spike

08/03/2013 at 5:08 am

Unfortunately Colossus is a Marvel comics character… can’t see them eschewing the name of Colossus if they RMC it.

14. Arkhamar

07/30/2013 at 1:28 am

Hmmm, interesting. I just came home today for my first ride on Full Throttle…loved it! We arrived just past noon and was surprised to see so many cars waiting still to get in! There goes are plans of thinking the park wouldn’t be busy on a Monday! While waiting in line in my SUV, I noticed how prominent Full Throttle’s loop stood out at the park entrance. I could just barely noticed Revolution’s loop. Revolution remains almost entirely hidden from eyes along with Gold Rusher.
    Understandably, these 2 coasters are SFMM classics and should be refurbished/restored to their former glory. However, what SF did to another classic, the Log Jammer, left me no surprise that the same fate could happen to Revolution and Gold Rusher. With these 2 possibly being removed, is there room for the GIGA coaster I’ve been dreaming of to take their places?? I could see one snaking thru the hills using Revolution’s tunnels and even making a pass thru Full Throttle’s loop! And boy would a visual sight it would be upon entering the park!! I’ve done so many surveys for the park and the one thing I keep mentioning in the ‘Anything you would like to tell park management’ box was…..GIGA coaster PLLLLLEEAAASEE, make it the first one for the badly needed West Coast…GO BIG, GO SIX FLAGS!!

15. JIMMY TOVAR

07/30/2013 at 6:38 am

I honestly don’t think they are removing either. My thoughts are that they simply want to show case the newer rides on the wall of coasters. I wouldn’t worry. But i have to admit. those new versions really do look awesome.

08/01/2013 at 8:39 pm

I agree with you. These coasters aren’t going anywhere, at least not any time soon, and definitely not all at the same time.

16. Mike

07/30/2013 at 8:32 am

I don’t think Green Lantern should be there at all.

• Brenden

07/30/2013 at 10:48 am

I disagree! It may be small, but is the only of its kind in the US, and has an average 1.5 hr wait! If it’s popular, keep it. Plus it takes up no room

• Mike

08/01/2013 at 10:32 am

you are right on it takes up no room but revolution should be on there

08/01/2013 at 8:39 pm

This is exactly why I think it’s on the list, just because it’s a unique coaster to the US.

17. Joseph

07/30/2013 at 9:42 am

Hey Kurt, Scream will not be getting removed. Its getting an upgrade/renovation. I have heard this from several MM employess.

Now as for all your other speculation? I dont know and Im very much scared.

18. Patrick

07/30/2013 at 10:33 am

Does anyone know if you have a six flags discovery kingdom gold pass, can you get into magic mountain early, or do you need to have a magic mountain gold pass?

08/01/2013 at 8:40 pm

It’s already been confirmed that the Gold Passes do get you in early at the other parks and vice versa.

19. Jan

07/30/2013 at 10:37 am

Its time that Scream! gets remodeled into Bizarro. If not, a launched Eurofighter would be great and or a Maverick type roller coaster right next to Apocalypse would be awesome!

• Casey

07/30/2013 at 10:00 pm

I completely agree with the Scream! to Bizarro transformation. That would be so cool!

20. Brenden

07/30/2013 at 10:46 am

ok, no rides should be leaving! They’re all great rides and part of SFMM’s history. A euro would be cute, but not living up to the park’s standards. They’re eventually gonna have to make another major ride, and taking down rides aren’t the answer. They have the money, so they need to buy off more land behind batman, apocolypse, that barren land. More park, more fun! I want to see another X2 insane record breaker in the next few years, but for now, maybe a water rollercoaster? You guys know what I mean. Leave me your feedback!

07/30/2013 at 5:51 pm

Magic Mountain will not be getting any more land. Much of the area to the west (behind Apocalypse/Riddler’s/Batman) is going to be developed into a giant housing tract within a few years. No doubt there will be a buffer zone, but how big that will be is not known publically. There’s still plenty of room to create new attractions within the park’s current boundaries. They’ll just have to be creative. 😉

• James

07/30/2013 at 10:59 pm

Eric, do you have a map of the park, birds eye view?

It would be good to see where the actual space is.

Park maps are never accurate

07/31/2013 at 6:52 pm

Here is a basic satellite view of Magic Mountain from Google Maps. Zoom or pan to see what you want. Also, there is a street view of the park, both inside and out. Click on the little orange guy above the zoom control and drag him to somewhere in the park and you’ll see what I mean.

Aerial view of Magic Mountain

08/01/2013 at 8:43 pm

The plans for the community going in behind SFMM have been online for quite some time now. If memory serves, the commercial shopping center was slated to back up to the park, creating said buffer zone between the park and the residential area.

• XYZ

07/30/2013 at 9:40 pm

Well, Magic Mountain will continue to remove old rides for new attractions in the future as they have always done. (Obviously, not every new ride will force the removal of an old ride)

21. Angel

07/30/2013 at 10:48 am

Many people are requesting a Giga but I dont feel like MM would even consider it since Goliath (a hyper) is already a star attraction. What I’d like to see in the future is a Blitz coaster.

07/30/2013 at 5:52 pm

I could see a giga at Magic Mountain. It could be done fairly easily, too. It’s a matter of whether they want it. Let’s see what they do with Colossus first.

• Arkhamar

07/30/2013 at 6:06 pm

Canada’s Wonderland has Behemoth (hyper) and Leviathan (giga) and Cedar Point has Magnum XL200 (hyper) and Millenium Force (giga). Both these parks are far from the West Coast. And SFMM, being touted as the ‘Thrill Capital of the World’, ‘Go Big, Go Six Flags,’ is the only other park (besides perhaps SFGAdv) which could pull off this kind of a duo. We have to remember this is SoCal-the Greater Los Angeles/San Diego area we’re talking- an immense market! How about a Blitz coaster that’s over 300ft tall- ouch, overkill!!;)

22. Justin

07/30/2013 at 2:03 pm

In reply to Brenden:
    They added a music video of Live It Up to the video that plays on the giant TV in the FT queue. I didn’t get to hear the song at the park because they had the live band playing when I was in line.

I also wish you could actually reply to someone when on a mobile device.

• Brenden

07/31/2013 at 9:21 pm

Was this recent? I’ve seen the full video at least three times!

• Justin

07/31/2013 at 11:26 pm

I saw it on Monday, July 29. Not sure what day it was added though.

08/01/2013 at 8:44 pm

I hate not being able to do a direct reply from my phone. I always want to wait until I get back to my office, but then I end up putting it off and doing a bunch of comment replies at once…like now! 😉

23. Casey

07/30/2013 at 4:32 pm

I’m really mad about the display for Tatsu. They use that picture for every ad.

08/01/2013 at 8:46 pm

It’s hard to get good photos of Tatsu because the trains are face down and there is too much back lighting from the sky when you look up at it. Therefore, they gotta use what they already have on file.

24. Arkhamar

07/30/2013 at 6:40 pm

May 8, 2016 will be the 40th Anniversary of Revolution. Could that be the year we see a fully restored (new trains) or entirely new coaster taking up that side of the Mountain? Only time will tell. Iron Colossus in 2014! New Revolution in 2016!

08/01/2013 at 8:46 pm

You know what…you might be onto something there. I would not be one bit surprised.

• Spike

08/03/2013 at 5:21 am

I had an interesting thought today while riding Revolution about it’s eventual fate, as has been discussed on here the past few days. In removing Log Jammer, SFMM ripped out a fair amount of trees (at least more than seems necessary, though we’ll wait to see what other plans they may have for the FT area). I would think that if they were to take out Revolution and replace the vacant space with a new coaster, they would also be removing a significant portion of the forested area of the park. Though I’m still sort of upset that they removed the whole whitewater lake area surrounding Log Jammer, because it makes the park seem so much more dry and arid, I imagine the people making the decisions for the park probably still enjoy the fact that they have a cute little forest in the middle of Santa Clarita. If only for Tatsu to fly over.

25. Garrett

07/30/2013 at 7:52 pm

What about one like Intimidator 305??? hint hint

• James

07/30/2013 at 10:57 pm

Nice!

26. XYZ

07/30/2013 at 9:42 pm

It’s really pathetic that Revolution wasn’t put on the Greatest Coasters Ever Built list.

• James

07/30/2013 at 10:32 pm

Why?
      It’s nostalgic, but its average at best.

Yes in the day it was ahead of its time, but now, even if it had the original restraints, it’s not exactly a thrilling coaster.

• XYZ

07/31/2013 at 2:01 pm

It was one of the most ground-breaking roller coasters when it was built which is why it should be on there. Plus, if it went back to its original state (lap bars only, less trims), it would be a great ride and thrilling.

• James

07/31/2013 at 11:24 pm

Yes, in its day it was groundbreaking, but compared with modern coasters it is pretty tame.

I agree, removing the trims and OTSR’s would greatly improve the ride, but it would still only be a 6/10 ride.

08/01/2013 at 4:22 pm

I’d rate it higher than 6/10. Good pacing and a fairly long track make for a great ride. Without OTSRs and a height limit of only 42″, Revolution was the perfect ride for the young uns to get their first “big” coaster credit. Revolution was my favorite coaster in the park till they butchered it.

27. James

07/30/2013 at 10:57 pm

Unfortunately, as enthusiasts, we don’t always appreciate or understand why a ride is removed.
    If a ride doesn’t attract people and has a low number of riders, or its inefficient and has high energy or maintenance costs, it just doesn’t make sense to keep it.

Also if the ride takes up valuable real estate in the park, it becomes an option to remove and re-use the land for something else.

This is a business and, unfortunately for us, the way a theme park works.

Scream, Viper, Revolution, Colossus, Goldrusher, Ninja and Jet Stream are all fair candidates for removal or renovation. They are not as popular as other rides, which make them options for change.

The rumours point to some kind of rehab for colossus. But most of the others seem to be little more than speculation at this point.

SFMM just don’t have the money to replace them all, so they might remove one that is a money pit, improve another and do this over the next few years.

• Brenden

07/31/2013 at 9:25 pm

My problem with removal, is that with the addition of the new ride, you have the subtraction! If you want SFMM to hold the most coaster record, you need to keep it. Build 2 rides, then you can remove it. This is their top snd mot importsnt bragging right

• James

07/31/2013 at 11:25 pm

I agree!
        In a perfect world, they would keep them all and just keep building new ones….but business is business and they have to operate within a budget.

08/01/2013 at 8:52 pm

I think it’s cool that they are the Roller Coaster Capital of the World, but I wouldn’t say it was their biggest bragging right. At least it shouldn’t be. I’d rather have their claim to fame as being the park with the best roller coasters in the world, not just the most. I think a park with 10 coasters that included rides X2, El Toro, Nitro, The Voyage, Outlaw Run, and Formula Rosa would be a much better park than one that had 18 mediocre roller coasters.

• Spike

08/03/2013 at 5:32 am

Keep in mind, our home park also has a very solid hold on the inversion record. That said, the Smiler just jumped Alton Towers up from 6 to 20. Now that smaller coasters are capable of achieving higher inversion counts, I honestly wouldn’t be too surprised to see that rumored Eurofighter a little longer than some are anticipating. Even though MM has the record (by 12 inversions) their highest inversion per coaster is shared by Scream! and Viper (which, as we are well aware, opened 22 years ago).

08/03/2013 at 7:13 am

This is a very good point. Even though SFMM currently has a very solid lead in the inversion war, the removal of a single coaster like Scream! or Viper virtually wipes out that lead. Not that they need to be the inversion leader, as many people will quickly point out, but it has still always been a feather in their cap that they’re proud of.

28. Jim

07/31/2013 at 9:37 am

Does anybody think they are going to do anything in the area where deja vu used to be? I think they have room there for a pretty awesome ride!

29. Angel

07/31/2013 at 7:09 pm

Barely noticed theres lots of room around the Golden Globe Theatre, it hasnt been used as often and on the MM entertainment section of their map it doesnt even have a description. You guys think MM has plans for it in the future? Doesnt necessarily mean demolishing it.

08/01/2013 at 8:56 pm

I think you mean the Golden Bear Theatre. They still use it throughout the year, just not for high draw events. It’s used for things like cheerleading competitions, anti-bullying campaigns, and Christian band concerts.

• Angel

08/02/2013 at 1:12 am

Yea my bad Golden Bear* haha My mistake, i never have really seen it used thats why. Nice to knows its put to good use though!

30. M. Smith

08/01/2013 at 9:01 am

I think what SFMM should do is make Batman backwards, didnt they do that at Six Flags Great America a little while back? I also know they are doing their wooden coaster Viper backwards as well. I know Colossus is done backwards during FrightFest, but something else should run backwards at some other time of the year for SFMM.

• Jim

08/01/2013 at 12:58 pm

I always thought they should do goliath backwards!

08/01/2013 at 8:59 pm

There was a special chassis built for Batman at SFGAm to run backwards. The rumor is that it will be making the rounds to the different parks for all of the Batman clones to get a turn at running backwards. As for other rides running backwards at SFMM, ever hear of the Superman coaster? 😉

31. daniel s

08/01/2013 at 9:04 pm

I have heard that six flags is going to announce what new ride they are going to put in the park for 2014. Have you heard any rumors or ideas of what they are going to add?

• daniel s

08/01/2013 at 9:20 pm

on august 29th

08/06/2013 at 7:34 am

There are lots of rumors, but nothing concrete. We’re so close to the announcement, we’ll just have to wait and see what they say.

32. alex

08/03/2013 at 1:44 am

when will be the 2013 big anouncement?

08/03/2013 at 7:07 am

The big 2014 announcement is scheduled for August 29th.

33. Ezra

08/08/2013 at 1:06 pm

A little off topic, but will you be at the park tomorrow? I will be going with my dad and his girlfriend. It would be really cool to see you in person! Anyways just let me know. Awesome update, Kurt!

08/08/2013 at 1:33 pm

Nope, not tomorrow. Things have gotten really busy at work and it’s starting to interfere with my coaster time. 😉

34. Andrew

08/20/2013 at 5:01 pm

@the coaster guy i been following some of the activity to have been going on with the Facebook pages of the difference Six Flags parks and I noticed that Magic Mountain doesn’t seem like its getting anything this next year. it seems like the focus point is way Six Flags Mexico and Six Flags Fiesta Texas and 1 other park.