Banshee At Kings Island Vs. Batman At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 08/09/2013

Banshee vs. Batman

Late last night, Kings Island theme park introduced us to Banshee, their upcoming 2014 addition to the park and their 14th roller coaster. Banshee will be the longest inverted roller coaster in the world. Since it’s exactly the same type of roller coaster as Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain, I thought it would be fun to compare the two.

Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M) is the Swiss roller coaster design firm that created the very first inverted steel roller coaster way back in 1992 with the introduction of Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Great America. It was so popular that they quickly cloned it and installed copies of it at several other Six Flags parks. Six Flags Magic Mountain got their Batman in 1994. Even at 19 years old, it’s still a very fun and popular ride today.

Since B&M’s introduction of the inverted roller coaster in 1992, there have been over 30 B&M inverted coasters installed all over the world. Banshee at Kings Island will be B&M’s latest inverted, and it definitely ups the ante. With over 20 years of experience perfecting the ride, the differences are pretty obvious. Here’s how Banshee compares to Batman:

Banshee vs. Batman

At 4,124 feet long, Banshee will be the world’s longest inverted roller coaster, 1,430 feet longer than Batman. To make it all the way through the course, and through two more inversions than Batman, it needs to have a higher start. The 167 foot lift hill is 62 feet taller than Batman. Banshee also reaches a much higher speed than Batman, although unlike Batman it does so halfway through the course thanks to the unique terrain that it was custom built to sit on. Lastly, Banshee can run three train simultaneously, compared to Batman’s two trains. However, since you can still only load and unload trains so fast, there isn’t a huge gain in capacity. It also heavily depends on ride ops efficiency.

Here is a teaser video that Kings Island created to show off Banshee:

Banshee is scheduled to open in April 2014, and I can’t wait to ride it. I’ll always have a place in my heart for a Batman clone, but you can never go wrong with taller, faster, and longer roller coasters, right? Is this a coaster that you’re looking forward to riding?

1. MichaelOchs

08/09/2013 at 11:27 pm

Is it the tallest too, or just the longest inverted coaster?

• Ryan

08/10/2013 at 12:12 am

Just the longest.

Alpengeist at Busch Gardens is still the tallest full circuit inverted coaster.

• Martin

08/10/2013 at 12:13 am

Alpengeist is taller – some 174(?) feet…

• Nathan

08/10/2013 at 10:57 am

Alpengeist is 195 ft tall with an 170 ft drop.

2. Alex

08/10/2013 at 2:22 am

Funny how the showed SOB complete with loop when it was removed during its last few years lol

3. mugnezz

08/10/2013 at 3:21 am

but you can not compare 2 coaster like that.

08/10/2013 at 7:44 am

I just did.

• Alex C.

08/10/2013 at 11:51 am

Lol. A burn by the coaster guy

4. Looper

08/10/2013 at 8:42 am

I had to search to see where Kings Island is located so I guess i should turn in my coaster card for not knowing. Love the video and my credit would be to just attended the park.

We enjoy this site and check it often and hope you can continue with great info.

5. miklo de la noche

08/10/2013 at 10:35 am

one of my favorite rides (hence my batman cape) and hardly ever any line. batman feels like it goes faster than 50 mph. kinda like Apocalypse, it feels a lot faster than what it is. Is batman really 2 mins long? last time we were in line the ride op asked “are you ready for the funnest 59 seconds of your life”?

08/10/2013 at 12:13 pm

When I time rides, I start the clock as the train leaves the station and stop it when it returns. On Batman, I recorded a time of 1:38 (98 seconds).

• miklo de la noche

08/11/2013 at 9:40 am

now that you mention it, she did say 98 seconds. that feels right…

6. Ryan O

08/10/2013 at 5:27 pm

Watching the video of the public unveiling at Kings Island gave me chills (because of all the excitement in the crowd). I’ve always wished Magic Mountain would care more about and be more involved with their fans like that. I guess that’s more of a Cedar Fair thing tho.

7. Daddio

08/10/2013 at 8:47 pm

My son, girlfriend, and I were just at the park on Friday and Batman had a 75 minute wait. The line was all the way to the entrance. I could guarentee we would love to ride the new coaster at Kings Island. Looks pretty cool!

8. Ryan

08/11/2013 at 9:59 am

Hey Coaster Guy! Im going to SFMM with my dad sometime around September 14-15. How do you think the park is going to be around those days? Are any rides going to be closed down? We went Labor Day weekend last year so we got the end of the regular season and everything was still up and running.

08/13/2013 at 10:04 pm

I really don’t like guessing about whether or not the park is going to be busy on any given day because I usually get it wrong. However, during the off-season when the park is only open during the weekends, you’re almost always safer going on the Sunday. The only exception would be if they’re hosting a special event that day, so always check their web site first. As far as rides being closed down, there’s no way of knowing. There have been so many rides closed during their busy season this year that I would definitely expect some closures during the off-season.

9. Arkhamar

08/11/2013 at 9:57 pm

Obviously Banshee blows away Batman: TR in every aspect! How I wish (in my dreams!) for the 20th anniversary, our Batman: TR gets transformed into a Banshee clone!! I don’t like the video promo….absurdly too fast!!
    I like this off ride/on ride video instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWSLFHpkIr0
    Congrats Kings Island! I’ll be anticipating for our $20-30million giga coaster! (again in my dreams…..?)

08/11/2013 at 10:40 pm

It’s interesting how Cedar Fair has OKed the use of the name “Banshee” for this ride. Back in the ’90s when Cedar Point added their Mantis stand-up coaster, they were going to name it “Banshee,” but they felt that the name wasn’t so family-oriented. Read this.

08/11/2013 at 10:41 pm

I meant, read this.

08/13/2013 at 10:08 pm

I don’t know about you, but I think the whole “political correctness” thing has gotten out of control. People are too sensitive these days. I’m glad they dusted off the Banshee name and decided to finally use it.

08/14/2013 at 12:48 am

I agree with you. Back when they proposed the name “Banshee” for Mantis—then retracted it—I didn’t agree because I thought “Banshee” was a great name for a coaster. And I still do.

It seems the harder we try not to offend some overly sensitive people, the more likely we’ll offend others.

11. Alex

08/12/2013 at 10:09 pm

Don’t you think sfmm will be cool if they had 3-D experiences like transformers the ride or king kong 360 3-D

• Angel

08/12/2013 at 11:17 pm

I think that’d be awful. Reason I dont go to Universal.

08/13/2013 at 10:28 pm

I think those are amazing rides, as do many others, that’s why Universal is doing so well with them. However, they’re extremely expensive and Six Flags caters to a completely different demographic. I’m not sure they’d recoup their investment fast enough to make it worthwhile, which is why you’ll never see it happen.

12. Jim

08/13/2013 at 7:19 am

I rode batman yesterday on the front row. At the end of the ride, when we were waiting to get back in the main loading station, there were these black tubes on the sides and on the floor. Does anybody know what these are for? I think they may have been some sort of special effect.

08/13/2013 at 4:34 pm

At one time, there was a burst of steam when trains reentered the station, but that effect was stopped a long time ago.

• Jim

08/13/2013 at 8:57 pm

That sounds awesome!!! Wish they would still do it.

13. Darci

01/07/2016 at 7:23 pm

Anyone else notice the tombstone in the teaser that says “the bat”? Haha I feel like its a way of saying step aside batman! Haha