UA-20143982-1 Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013 - The Coaster Guy

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 2 Sep 2013

By on 09/02/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Logo

It’s been awhile (for me, at least) since I’ve been to Six Flags Magic Magic Mountain, so I thought I’d pop over there today for a quick update. I was a little concerned about the crowds with it being Labor Day weekend, and the last day of the normal operating season before weekend only operations, but I also wanted to see the Toyota event that was setup in the parking lot before it was gone, so off I went.

The first thing I noticed as I pulled up to the parking toll booths was that the signs were already up for the 2014 season passes. I’ll cover this in more detail in another post, but the prices jumped up quite a bit from 2013. Last year they were $64.99 and they went up $8.00 per pass to $72.99 each for 2014. This is not a bad thing in my opinion:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

In addition to the new season passes, light pole signs were also advertising the changes we can expect in the park for the 2014 season:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

One of the main reasons for my trip today was to check out the Toyota Camry Thrill Ride that was erected in the middle of the parking lot. Unfortunately, they were already done with it and in the process of tearing it down by the time of my visit. I never did get any details on what this was, but from what I’ve pieced together it sounds like it was all for the filming of a TV commercial for the Toyota Camry. It was a mini race track with a professional driver driving the car. However, I also heard that they did take a few select park guests on a trip around the track as well. It just goes to show you how much money there must be in selling cars if they can go through all of the time and expense of building this just for a single car commercial:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

There was a huge group of people in the entry plaza, just on the other side of the security checkpoints. However, the bulk of it was for entry into Hurricane Harbor:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

This was the only sign of Fright Fest anywhere in the park (the flowers look great!):

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

Things looked great inside the theme park as well. The landscaping looked nice, the fountain was working great, and even the waterfall was flowing down from the top:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

Normally there is a throng of people running to X2 as soon as the gates open, but not today. With X2 being closed due to a rumored broken lift hill chain, I’m guessing everyone headed the other way to Full Throttle. I literally walked up the X2 hill all by myself, with nobody else around. It was very weird:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

I continued up the hill, past Tatsu and up the stairs to Samurai Summit. With nobody around, I decided to ride Superman: Escape from Krypton a few times. There were only four of us on it. I rode it four times in a row in the back seat without ever moving. I could have kept going, but I needed to continue my rounds. This picture was taken after I was leaving the ride. People were obviously on Full Throttle, but nobody up on the hill:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

And just for the record, the A/C was on the Superman tunnel and it felt awesome!

I stood in the air conditioned Cyclone Bay Arcade for several minutes watching Apocalypse. It was open, and I saw lots of people entering the ride, but I didn’t see any trains running. After about 10 minutes, I finally saw a loaded train cycle. It was probably close to another 5-10 minutes after the first train that I saw the one below cycle. It looked like they were only running one train, and it was extremely slow between dispatches:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

Even though the park had been open for about 45 minutes at this point, Cyclone Bay was still very dead with hardly anyone around:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

I still can’t figure out what’s going on with the wharf area. They drained it quite some time ago, but not all the way. Each time I return, there’s just a little more water in it, but it’s completely green and full of algae. It just looks hideous:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

Anyone know when they took the roof off of the old Crazy Barrels building? Or did it finally fall off all on its own? This is what it looked like today:

Here’s a picture I took of it in April 2011:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

As I made my way past DC Universe, there were still no people to be found anywhere:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

Not knowing if or when Colossus is going to close down, I still try to ride it whenever I can. As I made my way down to it, I found that it was a complete walk on as well:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

I sat and ate my lunch in front of Green Lantern. The line was out of the station, but I didn’t see any cars running. I was there for just over 30 minutes and counted a total of three cars that went through the course. That’s an average dispatch time of over 10 minutes. If I were a betting man, I would swear they were only running one car today.

As I continued back towards the front of the park, the crowds were still few and far between. This is the midway that passes under the Superman track:

It looks like Six Below got a new name. This picture was taken today:

I took this picture on March 29, only about 5 months ago:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

Anyone know why they changed the name so soon? It hasn’t even been a full season. I was over at Hurricane Harbor about an hour later and I saw signs for Six Below there.

I made a pass through Bugs Bunny World, trying to visualize where they may put the new kiddie coaster next year. The only thing that I hadn’t seen before was this Kiddie Hi-Striker game, setup in front of Daffy’s Adventure Tours. The guy running it was really nice and said the kids seem to like it:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

I felt sorry for the employees standing around in the heat today. It was really hot:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

I was expecting Full Throttle Plaza to be where the bulk of the people were hanging out, but even that was dead. There was about an hour wait to ride Full Throttle, and from what I saw while circling the park, that was probably the busiest ride of the day:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

I really had to fight my way through the crowd as I headed out through the entry plaza:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

With the parking lot being full, and the theme park being dead, I decided to scope out Hurricane Harbor before leaving:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

It seemed pretty crowded to me, but since I have only been there one time back in 2005, I really didn’t have anything to gauge it against. Is there any interest in me covering Hurricane Harbor on this site? It doesn’t really fit in with roller coasters, but it is a part of Six Flags. With the recent changes announced for Hurricane Harbor in 2014, I’m wondering if I shouldn’t cover it at least a little bit. Thoughts?

As I was leaving the park for the day, there were still quite a few people streaming in. However, the bulk of them were either wearing swim suits or carrying towels, so they were obviously heading to Hurricane Harbor. It was definitely hot enough:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report for 2 Sep 2013

Did anyone else hit the park during the holiday? Anything exciting to report?

1. Sarah Meeks

09/02/2013 at 11:09 pm

I am really sad about X2. How long will it be down?

2. Jerome Weiss

09/02/2013 at 11:17 pm

I vote yes on covering Hurricane Harbor.

09/02/2013 at 11:18 pm

I wouldn’t mind you covering Hurricane Harbor’s new slides. My only time there was in 1997 and haven’t really wanted to go back. Perhaps with some of the new attractions (like the giant funnel slide on the parking lot side and these new capsule slides), I’ll get back there.

Thanks for keeping us informed and entertained with the updates. 2014 is going to be interesting.

4. Logan

09/02/2013 at 11:51 pm

I was there September 1st (I really want to meet you and we always go one day before or after the other) and the park was really weird also. I’m not sure if it was because of x2, or of the long weekend. Green lantern had a huge line, apocalypse was running 1 train with a 90 minute wait (by far the most bizarre thing) jet stream line filled the switch backs, tatsu, as usual, had a long line, and full throttle had like a 45 minute wait. I’ve been on full throttle 6 times now, and I’ve never had to wait in line. I have always either got on with my gold pass, or got on after the ride had a roll back. Waiting in a 45 minute wait for ft went by really really fast. The giant screen and the performance really lived it up, making it a more enjoyable que. overall, good day. I’m surprised it wasn’t an overflow for the long weekend.

5. Rene

09/03/2013 at 12:18 am

I’ve been trying to find out what happened to X2! its my favorite ride but the workers just said its routine maintenance and that they are preparing it for freight fest. how did you find out it was the chain? are you sure thats 100% accurate?

6. Scott C

09/03/2013 at 9:02 am

I am interested in the follow up on season passes. I was looking into getting one for my daughter and I. I was wondering on your thoughts of membership vs. season pass (Gold on both). Obviously, I can read :), but just wondering what a veteran thinks of it. It is only $8 more per year, but spread over 12 months. Plus, use Discover for 5% off as well.
    Now, if I can just find two more people interested, then I can just buy the regular for free upgrade to Gold!

09/14/2013 at 11:01 pm

I like the premise of a subscription, never expiring, but I really don’t like having a monthly payment or having to pay more for it. I’d rather just make a one-time payment and be done with it, using the Discover card for the discount, of course.

I put out an offer last year for anyone interested in going in on a group purchase to get the free Gold upgrades. I think I ended up buying around 10 season passes in total, but it was a pain trying to coordinate with people. Some people trusted me enough to just send me their money in advance and I mailed them back the voucher for the pass, which worked great. A few people wanted to meet me in person at the gate to give me the money for their passes, which was fine, but scheduling was a nightmare. Also, I remember one guy handing me his money in mostly small bills and exact change. He literally counted out down to the last $0.99 in pennies. I couldn’t believe it. If it’s $80, just bring me four 20’s and call it good. I was already jumping through enough hoops for people as it was.

I think I have enough people asking that I’ll make the same offer again this year, but I really don’t want to deal with trying to meet people at the park in person again. The scheduling is just too difficult. If people trust me enough to send me the money in advance, that’s great. If not, no big deal. I’ll be sure to announce if and when I’m going to do this. It probably won’t be until late October or November, at the earliest. My pass is good through December, so there’s no need for me to go out of pocket for a new pass before I need to.

• Scott C

09/15/2013 at 12:12 pm

I am trying to work a group myself right now. If efforts fail, I am in. I have no problem sending you a check. However, if it just so happens I can go the same day as you, I would love to meet up. No pennies, I swear! :)

7. Jim

09/03/2013 at 10:37 am

I think you should totally cover Hurricane Harbor!

• Francisco

09/04/2013 at 5:53 pm

it’s called The Coaster Guy, not The Water park Guy.

09/14/2013 at 11:04 pm

Yah, this is what I’m struggling with, Francisco. I’m not really that passionate about water parks, so it’s hard for me to get excited about them like I do with roller coasters.

8. Donovan Boczko

09/03/2013 at 2:42 pm

From what us employees have been told, x2 will be down as late as december due to a lift hill problem. That’s what I was told at least. And kurt I saw you come through my toll line, I was really anticipating this trip report. Nice work as always!

09/03/2013 at 3:00 pm

Fastest moving toll lane I’d been through in a very long time. Well done! Next time say hi. :-)

• Donovan Boczko

09/03/2013 at 5:23 pm

Thanks bud! I’ll be sure to say hi next time. It gets tiring saying “Have a Six Flags Day” at least 300 times! haha.

09/03/2013 at 5:32 pm

Sorry, that came out wrong. What I meant was to say hi to me. If you recognize me, tell me you’re a reader of the site and I might give you a shout out in my next update. :-)

• Donovan Boczko

09/03/2013 at 7:07 pm

Haha, its all good bud. Ill be sure to say something to you next time, you came through in the middle of our daily rush, and the line was quite long, I did not want to stop you from enjoying your time in the park and getting out of that toll line. I’ll say something next time!

9. Looper

09/03/2013 at 4:23 pm

SFMM is open this Thursday the 5th 10:30 -6pm. Not HH only SFMM. Aside for the scheduled 100 degrees it should be a great time for massive ERT.

10. Goobs

09/03/2013 at 7:13 pm

Hey Kurt. I think I may have seen you. I was there yesterday working Flash Speed Force. If you come on Thursday I will be at either Tidal Wave or Flash. Normally Wonder Woman but it is closed right now. If you see a really tall guy with a name tag that says Chris. Say hi. I love this site. On all the time.

How many times have you been on Full Throttle in one day and in total. I want to see if I have been on more or you.

Thanks again for the updates. And a yes for covering HH

09/14/2013 at 11:08 pm

Sorry, Chris, just now getting caught up on all the comments. I think the most I’ve been on FT in just one day has been 9 or 10. Can’t quite remember. I have 47 rides on it in total so far.

11. Erik

09/03/2013 at 7:42 pm

Great job Kurt!

Definitely think you should cover HH

12. James

09/04/2013 at 2:40 pm

I have never been to Hurricane Harbor in fact I have no clue what its even like over there. It would totally be cool for you to check the place out at least once with an update to maybe have an archive for the future and let us know what its like. With my combo pass I’m hoping to get in there on one of its Sunday operating days coming up in September so hopefully its not too crowded.

As for this update, very nice pictures and details! I like the things you notice and the comparisons you make to past updates. Its crazy how busy the park can be on some days, and how dead it can be on others. It’s days like these you even wonder if there’s any employees around because its so dead! Although one train operation can make a day that should be rather easy into a day of frustration…5, even 10 minute dispatches? Freakin’ unacceptable.

What’s also sad is we still continue to see areas of the park that are in dire need of being kept up to date or just demolished because they look terrible. Its truly obvious that this park is just too big for its employee infrastructure to keep up with the daily and long term maintenance of all its rides and attractions.

Its all so frustrating because there are SO MANY parts of this park that are naturally beautiful, and there is so much potential with the attractions they have, but they just fall flat on their face when it comes to taking guests out of reality when they step in the park…

On another (semi-related) topic, apparently there’s an article going around about Six Flags terrible customer service regarding guests losing articles on rides. Anyone surprised? Yes, while people should know they are going to lose stuff they have in their pockets on rides like Tatsu and X2, its pretty telling when a spokesperson for the parks response is basically “our lost-and-found department is non-existent over the phone on an operating day because our guest services person is overwhelmed with park guests.” I mean, what kind of response is that and what does it say about the parks concern for guests lost articles?? They have none. No answer, no call back, no answering machine= pathetic. I really don’t get how people in the company get away with saying this stuff. Either higher ups don’t care or they’re just not paying attention…and considering this is how they treat guests to their face I guess we shouldn’t be surprised how they take care of things when guests aren’t even looking.

Here is the article: http://touch.latimes.com/#story/la-fi-lazarus-20130903/

13. Ryan W.

09/04/2013 at 2:58 pm

Whats with all these rides only running one train?

14. JJJ

09/07/2013 at 4:49 pm

Ive never been in the water park so a photo tour would be nice

15. Dane. P

09/07/2013 at 11:01 pm

go for it all things considering there wont be a lot of coverage for sfmm this year.

16. Likegreenlantern

09/10/2013 at 7:40 pm

You should defiantly do H.H reports.

17. Jeffrey

09/19/2013 at 9:11 am

Cover Harbor! Yes, you cover other theme parks, but not THAT often. your main feature is Magic Mtn, and Hurricane Harbor is technically part of Magic. I think folks will be interested in following progress of the new slide. And hey, its not all year long.. Only the summer months. And it’s not like you’ll post about it everyday… :)

18. Pingback: Camry Thrill Ride Shows Just How Exciting Camry Can Be