Toyota Camry Thrill Ride At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 10/01/2013

Toyota Camry Thrill Ride

Back in August, a large portion of Six Flags Magic Mountain‘s parking lot was closed off and construction began on something mysterious. Speculation ran from a long-awaited refurbishment of Colossus, to a new Fright Fest maze, to a brand new ride of some sort. As it turns out, it was for a new ride, but not for Six Flags. It was for Toyota.

What was built was an elaborate set for a Toyota Camry commercial. Labeled as “Camry Thrill Ride,” it took park guests on a high-thrill drive through a simulated race track to show them what the new Camry was capable of, using a professional race car driver of course. In-car cameras captured their stunned reactions.

Toyota Camry Thrill Ride

I was unable to make it over to the park to capture some photos of the set being constructed. I also happened to miss the actual filming of the commercial as well. By the time I got there, the workers were in the process of dismantling the entire thing:

Toyota Camry Thrill Ride

Here is the final Camry Thrill Ride commercial, as seen on the Toyota YouTube channel:

Thanks to our friends over at SFNE Online for the heads up!

10/01/2013 at 10:50 pm

Very interesting…

2. Looper

10/01/2013 at 11:53 pm

Very Nice

3. JIMMY TOVAR

10/02/2013 at 6:09 am

I would definitely pay for a ride on this!! So cool.

4. Jason

11/01/2013 at 8:25 pm

what they don’t tell you is that just about any car in it’s class can do the same thing.

5. ANGEL NGUYEN

11/07/2013 at 6:15 am

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TYPE OF TOYOTA WERE THEY IN .. THAT RIDE LOOKS AWESOME!! BOTH THE CAR AND THE “COASTER”

11/07/2013 at 5:07 pm

You’re joking, right?

• angel

11/24/2013 at 1:18 pm

i dont think he is bro. ha! but when would be the last day to ride this???

11/24/2013 at 7:51 pm

This is long gone. They built it, filmed for a couple of days, and then removed it.

6. STEPH. THEODORAN

11/12/2013 at 4:07 pm

IT DOSN’T EVEN HAVE TO BE IN THE SAME CLASS AS CAMERY. MY 67 VW WOULD DO JUST FINE. SMOKE N MIRRORs. AMAZING!

7. Fredrik

11/19/2013 at 9:52 pm

I was actually the concept designer that drew this up and I can’t believe it actually happened. It seemed like a crazy idea from the get go. Not sure what waivers had to be signed to get on the ride.

The choice of car seemed a bit odd as well.

A lot of work went into conceiving this as well as making it real.

I am impressed this was seen through, it was a very ambitious project.

11/22/2013 at 7:24 pm

Good job, Fredrik. What surprises me most about this commercial is its longevity. Most commercials filmed at the park, like the Chevy Sonic that was flipped, don’t air very long. But this one is still going strong!

• Rachel

11/30/2013 at 6:20 am

If you are the designer. I need specs please. What is the embankment of the curve? How high is the hill and at what angle to the ground is the hill? I am doing a physics project and I need the specs so I can do some analysis of the forces experienced by the car and the people in the car

8. R

11/22/2013 at 7:06 pm

Wow! what a joke, so you go up and down a hill, around a small banked curve, around some curved roads and thru a tunnel! Big freakin deal! Hell my sons 10 year old Ford Escort could do it!