World’s Tallest Fake Tree Being Chopped Down

By on 11/05/2013

Bugs Bunny World Tree

All good things must come to an end, right? That’s what’s happening this week at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I’ve confirmed with the park that they are indeed removing the giant fake Sequoia tree in High Sierra Territory to make way for their 2014 upgrades.

The giant tree was built in 1985 when the park converted Children’s World into Bugs Bunny World and brought back the Looney Tunes characters as mascots. At 140′ tall, it’s been listed as the world’s tallest fake tree and can be seen from many places in the park:

Bugs Bunny World Tree

The giant tree is technically located in the High Sierra Territory area of the park, but a tunnel through the base of the tree acts as a special entrance to Bugs Bunny World:

Bugs Bunny World Tree

At 28 years old, the tree is definitely starting to show it’s age. Many branches have either broken off completely or just been worn down to nothing:

Bugs Bunny World Tree

Bare wires are exposed that were once branches and styrofoam that was used to give the tree the appearance of bark is popping out everywhere. It was definitely time to either give it a giant makeover or remove it completely. They chose the latter:

Bugs Bunny World Tree

The area where the tree was located is going to be a brand new portal into Bugs Bunny World that will be much more open and inviting. The entire Bugs Bunny World itself is getting a refresh for the 2014 season, including a brand new pint size roller coaster. Stay tuned for more updates as I monitor the construction progress each week.

1. Robin C

11/05/2013 at 11:52 am

This makes me sad. I grew up in Bugs Bunny World and found my passion for coasters at SFMM. Hopefully this will be replaced by another landmark for upcoming coaster enthusiast to enjoy for years. Magic Mountain won’t be the same without it.

2. James

11/05/2013 at 3:26 pm

Why does the park insist on removing guest favorites instead of refinishing them to keep them around?

I don’t understand this parks decisions sometimes. Just spend the money to maintain one of the few “children” landmarks in the park. I remember walking through this thing as a kid myself and loved it and to this day I and see other kids walking through it enjoying it too!

3. XYZ

11/05/2013 at 3:57 pm

Great job, SFMM management. Why can’t you upkeep your theming rather than removing it?

Long live the people who pathetically run this park!

4. BRANDON

11/05/2013 at 4:06 pm

I believe General Sam was not built until the 1993 remodel.

11/05/2013 at 7:17 pm

You are correct, Brandon.

11/05/2013 at 7:18 pm

I wonder if this is where the new 2014 kiddie coaster will go?

• Rob

11/13/2013 at 8:22 am

I’m guessing the train depot area. It gets little, to no visitors nowadays and it’ll the be the most logical place to expand on

6. Andrew

11/05/2013 at 8:42 pm

Are they removing it all this week?

7. Roger

11/05/2013 at 9:04 pm

At least they will cut it up to make Styrofoam coolers! LOL!

8. Casey

11/05/2013 at 10:10 pm

Wow. I’m suprised SF would even try to pull something like this, especially if it’s something that has a “record” . Records are pretty much the definition of Magic Mountain’s name! Also, does anyone know if X2 is up and running again, and, if not, when it will be?
    Thanks,
    Casey

11/06/2013 at 4:52 pm

X2 is still down and from the latest I’ve heard, it will be till after the first of the year.

• bobforte

11/07/2013 at 6:45 am

X2 is not expected to open until around February or March.

9. Tim

11/06/2013 at 5:18 pm

It will sure look a lot different once removed. It was such an icon staple to the park’s skyline, something to pinpoint where Bugs Bunny World was located, if you were looking down from the Sky Tower. It will be sad to see it go, but things don’t stay in one place too long, 28 years is long enough, and it wasn’t being maintained much to keep it’s original look. I would love to see any photos of this tree which it was first being installed and built, or any photos of it in it’s first year in the park, would be interesting.

Besides the new design entrance and coaster coming to Bugs Bunny World in 2014, I would really like to see SFMM focus their attention to the space where the old Monorail station used to be, and where Flashback once stood. I am hoping this space will be for the new additions coming to Hurricane Harbor, and they can remove the old Season Processing Center, that white and blue building, and create an all new entrance to a cool new water attraction for HH, or create something new for SFMM in that area, which would be quiet and wouldn’t generate a lot of noise, maybe a new type of water drop tower, but should have to do with water though. They really need to generate people and guests to this area, because Road Runner Express doesn’t get much lov’in, since it’s tucked in a corner. I can name several more points of interest where they can improve the park and build new attractions without taking something out like an existing ride, but that’s it for now.

I did hear though Tidal Wave is being removed, so not sure if anybody has heard any clarification about it, true or not, but that ride is not fun anymore after so many better water drop rides have opened. I am sure the park has some big plans for 2015, that will blow us all away. I can’t wait.

Tim

11/09/2013 at 4:20 pm

Maybe now they’ll chop down the rest of the Metro track, too. 😉

11. Likegreenlantern

11/12/2013 at 5:05 pm

This is sad. You guys keep bringing this up and it’s a good reference point.

12. JJJ

11/14/2013 at 7:45 pm

Idiotic, and I guess symbolic of this country.

Zero maintenance, and then we destroy classics because theyve gotten into too bad shape.

13. John

11/15/2013 at 1:15 am

Six flags is really gonna tear down another classic land mark ? six flags is horrible at good park management i mean come on all the family attractions have left the petting zoo,tilt a whirl,log jammer,spin out,sierra falls,grand prix,sierra twist,free fall,metro etc how many flat rides and family rides are gonna go before they realize there destroying the parks feel, now its roller coasters every where and don’t get me wrong i love roller coasters but i gotta be honest there getting carried away now they need a good 10 new fun flat rides who else agrees ?

p.s. after log jammer got the chopping block six flags hasn’t been the same.

11/19/2013 at 9:50 pm

SFMM still has Jet Stream water ride, but not sure if it’s anything similar to former Log Jammer.

Screamscape reported last week that X2 should be back up and running by the end of this month, after having the lift-hill chain replaced. I also hear that Goliath is adding seatbelts as an extra restraint, along with the existing lap-bar restraint, amid Texas Giant incident/accident from almost 5 months ago. Not sure if other lap-bar coasters at SFMM and other Six Flags parks could be getting the extra seatbelt restraint added in time for 2014 season. The possibility of SFMM doing away with shoulder-harness restraint on Revolution, in favor of lap-bar and seatbelt restraints is a different story.

With the fake tree already being removed, to accommodate Bugs Bunny World expansion… I’m assuming the entrance to the section will be getting a makeover.