Full Throttle Station Gets Permanent Cover

By on 12/15/2013

When the Full Throttle roller coaster first opened at Six Flags Magic Mountain back in June 2013, there was no covering over the ride’s loading station. There was a scaffolding-like structure over the top of it, but it wasn’t actually covered. A few weeks later, the park added some canvas pieces to the framework, providing some much needed shade, but it was never meant to be permanent.

Back on 11/27, I reported in my trip report that Six Flags Magic Mountain had filed for a building permit to add a permanent covering over the Full Throttle station. Over the course of this past week, they did just that. The temporary structure came down and a permanent structure was erected. Here is what the new cover looks like as you’re walking up to the ride:

Full Throttle Station Canopy

From the side, as you’re walking up the entrance ramp:

Full Throttle Station Canopy

The covering itself is pretty basic, just a series of struts with sheets of corrugated steel roofing material:

Full Throttle Station Canopy

The new canopy covers the loading area and the train, but doesn’t quite extend over the exit ramp:

Full Throttle Station Canopy

It’s also set at an odd angle. The corner closest to the front of the train is the highest point, with the opposing corner the lowest point. I’m not sure if this is to allow the best possible view of the vertical loop as people are waiting in the station, but it looks very strange:

Full Throttle Station Canopy

In speaking to the ride operators that were working today, they weren’t very happy with it. It does not provide them any shade, especially during the morning hours when the sun is shining directly on them. They also aren’t looking forward to summertime when the 100+ degree sun heats the metal up and it radiates down. They were also concerned about getting wet in the rain, but Full Throttle probably won’t be running in the rain:

Full Throttle Station Canopy

As a solid metal roof, it’ll probably make lots of noise in the rain, but again, the ride will likely be closed:

Full Throttle Station Canopy

There are gutters along the lower side and back, so at least rain won’t be pouring off of it::

Full Throttle Station Canopy

I’m not sure what the inspiration was for this cover. It looks odd to me, doesn’t fit with any other elements already installed on the ride, and doesn’t look like it’s going to provide much protection:

Full Throttle Station Canopy

Here’s the ride entrance with the new station cover off to the right:

Full Throttle Station Canopy

What do you think of the new station cover?

1. Angel

12/15/2013 at 5:51 pm

No improvement from the last cover. If anything its worse imo.

2. Tim

12/15/2013 at 6:18 pm

Horrible. As I am looking at the new cover and old cover, the old one actually fitted in with Full Throttle. This new one does look od, off-color, larger, and it’s more in a diagonal position, and unless it’s painted the color white like the track of FT, this cover was a bad idea. They should of just left the old one up, or modified it. I don’t like this new one at all, looks hideous.
    -Tim

3. Tim

12/15/2013 at 6:19 pm

Horrible. As I am looking at the new cover and old cover, the old one actually fitted in with Full Throttle. This new one does look odd, off-color, larger, and it’s more in a diagonal position, and unless it’s painted the color white like the track of FT, this cover was a bad idea. They should of just left the old one up, or modified it. I don’t like this new one at all looks hideous.
    -Tim

4. Jarret

12/15/2013 at 7:07 pm

At first glance, I thought the cover was angled strategically to block from the sun for the most time possible in the day. Then, on the later pictures it showed that the structure was angled to the opposite to what it should be for blocking the sun. This seems someone had good intentions and completely got the design backwards.

5. Brandon

12/15/2013 at 7:23 pm

This makes me question who is in charge of the architectural design work in the park these days. I’m sure farming out design of the station covering to local architecture design students would have yielded a better option. It basically says “we don’t really care about the ride ops”.

And LOL that didnt even incoporate any lighting into the new structure…still using what basically amounts to parking lot lighting.

6. Billy

12/15/2013 at 7:32 pm

It’s strange angle…I’m not quite sure what to make of it. I still have yet to understand the Christmas lights/rope lights around that ring leading into the 2nd tunnel.

7. Jimmy

12/15/2013 at 7:52 pm

Looks cheap and not well planned.

8. JJJ

12/16/2013 at 12:03 am

I’ve seen county fairs with better structures.

Reflects poorly on the Six Flgas park and brand, and shows management is garbage if they cant consider even the most basic needs of their employees.

9. James

12/16/2013 at 2:32 am

How downright stupid is Six Flags staff? Do they have any common sense whatsoever? Do they have an ounce of intelligence or understanding of customer satisfaction in any of their brains?

Sure doesn’t seem like it.

Have they even been paying attention to this park for the last 6 months? Did they not get a PERFECT example this summer in Santa Clarita this year, or an idea of where the sun is going to be, and how to BEST cover the paying guests and (8 hour shift) ride operators at Full Throttle?

Holy crap, even if they took 30 seconds to read over this site, maybe they’d have some clue how poorly this park is being run and how terrible it looks to those who visit it.

Seems like nobody that works at this park, or in the company, has the slightest idea what the hell they’re doing when they spend money. Nevermind putting into consideration how to best use that money in a way that satisfies not only staff, but PAYING CUSTOMERS.

To spend money on an overhang, and make it completely useless, is pretty much the cornerstone of useless management and a brain dead staff. Its all showing, out in the open. And only the highest paid staff at Six Flags doesn’t seem to notice it.

The fact that Disney about an hour away puts so much thought into each one of their attractions, and that the people in charge of this SF park take no notice or practicality from it, speaks volumes of those in charge at this SF park, as well as the idiocy of the company as a whole.

Congrats SF, you’ve finally brought me to a point where I no longer want to give you my money for the product you produce.

Good riddance.

10. Gregg

12/16/2013 at 11:13 am

It’s terrible looking. The structure should have been similar to the ride entrance canopy. This is absolutely no improvement over the temporary structure.

• Johnny

12/16/2013 at 1:44 pm

I will not be returning to this park. The lack of care and concern about such a basic thing is absolutely astounding. Six Flags Magic Mountain is official the worst run Park in the US, and that’s saying a lot. Whoever is in charge of this park currently should be fired. And SF as a brand should be ashamed at how cheap they are. Minimum effort at maximum profits should be their new moto.

• Scott C

12/17/2013 at 5:07 pm

Is it this single thing that has caused you to write off the park? Seems kinda silly to me.

11. Tony

12/16/2013 at 12:48 pm

I was hoping they would use the same canopy design as the canopy at the entrance…

• JIMMY TOVAR

12/30/2013 at 6:14 am

I’m with you on that one Tony.

12. Marcia

12/16/2013 at 2:30 pm

It looks really strange and odd…and ‘unfinished’. I’m not sure what it is, but it just looks weird.:P

13. Andrew

12/16/2013 at 4:13 pm

Idk I went two days ago and it’s really not as bad as most of you are saying. I felt that I was completely shaded. I do however think the roof should have been extended a bit further towards the loop and exit to block the sun for the ride op. I also think it should be painted black like the supports, cause the silver look doesn’t look very good. I’m not sure which direction the sun sets, but I think a wall should be put up in that direction. Sun rise won’t really be a problem because the park really isn’t open any earlier than 10:00. I feel like you shouldn’t really judge it until you’ve actually seen it. Is it not good? Yes. Is it horrible? No. Is it worth never visiting SFMM again? Of course not!

14. Mike

12/16/2013 at 5:03 pm

Yeah, it does look pretty stupid but I totally agree that it’s not going to ruin me wanting to go to the park ever. I will say this, I really wish they get back to theming the stations appropriately to complete the right feel that they want to convey! This says to me, we ran out of ideas so here’s what we came up with! Not good!

15. Andrew

12/16/2013 at 5:59 pm

Oh yeah. What’s up with the photo building? It’s so not Full Throttle themed. It looks like its the photo building for Granny’s Cookie Coaster…

16. Miklo De La Noche

12/16/2013 at 8:20 pm

i didn’t even notice it. from the pictures it doesn’t look cheap. i bet i would cost a lot to install something like that in my front yard. Im usually too excited to get on full throttle to even pay attention to the shade.

17. Looper

12/16/2013 at 9:58 pm

Looks fine to me .

18. marcog

12/17/2013 at 1:24 pm

Horrible.

19. Ezra

12/18/2013 at 7:08 am

I have one question. Why didn’t they use the same canopy design as the main entrance? It would have fit better and they could have angled it like they did now and it would still look good. I really don’t know why SFMM doesn’t take care of their customers or employees. The next ride they build, they should think long and hard about their station design because everyone that visits the park notices.

• Andrew

12/19/2013 at 1:01 am

That’s exactly what I was thinking. It’s a great design! Everybody thinks that canopy is the coolest entrance to a ride ever. Why not make a smaller and less cool (cause the first one must always be the coolest) version?

• Ezra

12/24/2013 at 7:43 pm

I totally agree with you, Andrew. As a pretty frequent visitor of the park, I notice that the big can open was the centerpiece of the queue line. However this doesn’t mean they can’t make a smaller version of the original to better fit the theming of the ride. It seem that SFMM was taking the cheap way out of it again.

• Ezra

12/24/2013 at 7:43 pm

20. Jason

12/20/2013 at 9:38 am

People seemed shocked by it, it is just sfmm being sfmm, we should be used to it by now.

21. Michael

12/21/2013 at 12:33 pm

Guys at least you aren’t stuck in nor cal all of our parks suck! SFMM is one of my favorite parks, behind cedar point. Just give them a break!

• Andrew

12/22/2013 at 12:53 am

You have Discovery Kingdom. I’ve only been once and as far how it’s run (cleanliness, management, etc.) and atmosphere, its way better than Magic Mountain. Although, Magic Mountain (at least in my opinion) had much more cool rides. As far as prices, idk. Does anyone know if all Six Flags parks make you cough up 15 bucks for a cheeseburger that is just okay quality? I feel like Magic Mountain charges way too much for food and merchandise.

• Michael

12/22/2013 at 3:04 pm

I go there a lot and all of the seats are worn down and not maintained very well

22. tacalert

12/21/2013 at 2:47 pm

Did they bolt it down? Or use bungee cords to secure it?

23. Jason

12/23/2013 at 9:37 pm

Screamscape is reporting that an inside source of the park is saying X2 may not open until March.

24. Jorge

12/24/2013 at 10:01 am

Will thee park be crowded today?

25. Justin G

12/24/2013 at 7:24 pm

In unrelated news… Scream is back to running two trains! YAY!

• Kevin

12/24/2013 at 8:58 pm

Really? Did they do anything to the train they had taken out?

26. Like green lantern

12/26/2013 at 11:56 am

What was the price or cost of Full Throttle? Being a muilti launch coaster wrapping around dessert like terrain probably a lot. Not to mention the magnetic brakes and Lim’s or Lsm’s (what ever kind of linear motor used)and the amount of money used to run this ride. It accrued to me that the expensive cost of this ride could of lead to cut backs in other things such as theming and shade. This I believe is the most probable reason for this

• Andrew

12/26/2013 at 2:41 pm

Full Throttle actually only cost $6 million dollars, which is actually pretty cheap for a rollercoaster. To give you an idea, Goliath cost a wopping $30 million, and Riddlers Revenge $14 million. So they actually didn’t spend that much. It’s just Six Flags going off the cheap end.

• Will

01/05/2014 at 2:42 am

Where did you get your info? At employee training they said Tatsu was the park’s most expensive coaster at $21 million.

27. Ellex King

12/09/2014 at 6:22 pm

Hope someday Magic Mountain will restore the Revolution trains the way they were back in 1976 but still keep the headrest and get rid of the unnecessary braking before the loop and after the tunnel. The park could redesign the final brake run just after the final helix by adding magnets the way Knott’s did with Silver Bullet to slow the trains before entering the first set of safety brakes at the end of the ride.