Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 31 Dec 2013

By on 01/01/2014

Well, it’s finally New Year’s Eve and time to kick 2013 out the door. Even though they weren’t planning anything special, and even closing at 6:00 PM, I still wanted to swing by Six Flags Magic Mountain to see what was going on since I hadn’t been there in a couple of weeks. There wasn’t much going on.

I didn’t arrive until a little after 1:00 PM, but the parking lot wasn’t even half full and there was virtually no line to get through security:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

Despite the fact that people only have until January 5th to buy and process their season passes to get a free upgrade to Gold, there was nobody in line at the season pass registration center:

The lack of crowds was apparent in the Six Flags Plaza as well:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

Some of the Christmas decorations were still up, which I would expect through the end of the special holiday hours, but some was already gone, like Santa’s chair:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

Yes, X2 is still down. The latest I’m hearing is that it won’t open back up until March(-ish):

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

Tatsu‘s lower queue wasn’t even half full:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

The Sky Tower is still closed. Not sure if there’s any truth to the rumor, but the latest I’m hearing is that it may be down for the count and never re-open to the public. I hope not:

It sure was a beautiful day to be at the park. The temp was in the low 70’s:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

Apocalypse was running two trains with a quick dispatch:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

I posted a pic of a water leak in the old Thrill Shot space a month or so ago. There must have been something to that, because it looks like they’ve dug it up:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

Despite the warmer weather, all the water rides are currently closed for the season, including Roaring Rapids, Tidal Wave, and Jet Stream:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

They still had the Las Vegas promotional booths setup here and in front of the park, just like they did last month when I was last there, but nobody was manning them:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

I know I harp on this a lot, but it’s only because it’s so visible and usually looks so bad. However, the little bit of water that is left in the wharf area has been cleaned up and is no longer green and full of algae. I sure wish they would do something with this space:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

The Riddler’s Revenge was running two trains with very little wait:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

This is definitely one county fair that I would not pay to get into:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

Green Lantern: First Flight probably had the longest ride line that I saw all day, but even it wasn’t quite backed up to the covered switchbacks:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

Cars also appeared to be dispatched at a pretty decent rate as well:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

There weren’t too many people walking the midways, but there were quite a few people waiting in the Goliath Plaza, so I suspect that might have been a longer line:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

Just as a reminder, the Tweety’s Escape cages (on the left) and Foghorn Leghorn’s Barnyard Railway will be removed to make room for the new kiddie coaster coming in 2014. The train won’t be coming back but Tweety’s Escape will be relocated to another part of Bugs Bunny World:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

This is where Tweety’s Escape will be going, just in front of the Road Runner Express queue:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

The circular concrete pad has already been poured, as well as a bit off to the side with some electrical conduits where the ride operator’s station will be placed:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

Still no changes to where the General Sam tree used to sit:

Have you eaten in the Mooseburger Lodge lately? If not, it may be too late:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

I’m hearing from multiple sources that it may be going away. I highly doubt they will get rid of the building, although it really wouldn’t surprise me given that it’s a pretty major traffic flow roadblock between the Full Throttle Plaza and Bugs Bunny World. If you look two photos up, you’ll see that the removal of the building, combined with the space the tree removal created, would massively open up the midway all the way to the Golden Bear Theater. However, I just can’t see them getting rid of this building. It’s not like it’s old, decrepit, and falling down, at least not to my knowledge.

I think we can all agree that the High Sierra Territory themed area is basically gone at this point. The only pieces left are the lodge, the theater, and the front of the old Log Jammer station. I suspect that they will completely re-theme the building and keep it as a table-serve restaurant. The only questions is – what will it be themed as? Has anybody heard anything? When I was there, it was already closed:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

EDIT: Based on some feedback in the comments below after I posted this article, it sounds like Mooseburger Lodge is going to be converted to a Full Throttle-themed sports bar. If they do it right, this could be a really cool thing! I’m thinking along the lines of the JB’s they did at Six Flags Great America.

Full Throttle had a fairly short wait. It wasn’t even backed up to the saddle canopy:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

Speaking of things going away, the Wild Things! airbrush shop is gone. It was closed when I was there and an employee told me that the guy (it was a leased space) had already packed up all his stuff and moved out:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

As I was leaving, there was a table out front where they were giving away free gum:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

There were a couple other tables with freebies, but they weren’t marked at all:

In addition to the gum, I got some M&Ms and a Kmart/Sears coupon:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

I’m not sure if this RV Parking sign is new, but I don’t remember seeing it before:

SFMM Trip Report 31 Dec 2013

That’s it! Not much going on in the park this time of year, but it’s a perfect time to visit. The holiday crowds are gone and the lines are practically non-existent. Even though the park closed at 6:00 PM and didn’t offer anything special for New Year’s Eve, it was a beautiful day to just go play.

1. Andrew Marostica

01/01/2014 at 3:50 pm

I was there on Friday and I ate at the lodge, they said its going to be remodeled and turned into a Full Throttle themed Sports Bar type of restaurant. They said it should open back up in march

2. Casey

01/01/2014 at 5:00 pm

I love the MooseBurger Lodge! It’s the only place you can sit downa nd eat at the mountain!

3. Zach

01/01/2014 at 5:59 pm

I feel like SFMM made a huge mistake by not doing a New Years event. The Full Throttle Plaza would have been perfect for something.

4. Andrew

01/01/2014 at 6:40 pm

When I walked by Mooseburger today, there was a sign saying it was closed for remodeling.

5. Jason

01/01/2014 at 7:02 pm

It’s not only a new year day thing it’s an everyday thing, it’s a shame that the best rollercoaster park in the nation can’t seem to generate the crowds to stay open past 6 anymore and 8 during the summer

• Andrew

01/01/2014 at 7:54 pm

Sunday was PACKED at sfmm. Dirt lot parking.

• tacalert

01/02/2014 at 1:07 pm

I remember when SFMM was open until midnight on weekends in the summer (and still crowded at that hour) and until 10pm during the week.

6. M. Smith

01/02/2014 at 9:21 am

Do you know if Colossus was open? If so, were they running it backwards or forward?

• Andrew

01/04/2014 at 11:28 pm

I went on today and it is still running forwards.

7. Jeff Wesson

01/02/2014 at 9:28 am

I was there last Friday and Monday. Colossus was open but on Friday was only running one train. They are still running forwards.

8. Candice Hargrove

01/02/2014 at 11:20 am

Great update as usual, Kurt! I can’t wait to go back to the mountain 🙂 It’s been awhile! I love going there when the crowds are gone!

9. Miklo De La Noche

01/02/2014 at 12:34 pm

me and my girl were there and it was a fun day. yeah its a bummer they closed so early and did nothing special but like you said it was just an all around nice day to just have fun. its one of my favorites but we skipped green lantern because there was a very long line when we walked by. that lower queue was almost full. same on tatsu, the queue was completely full. i guess it just depended on what time you walked by. we did 2 rides on apocalypse because the wait was so short. they are only running one train on viper now. i was gonna ask why but got distracted..
    its too bad about the sky tower, it seems to be one of your favorite photo spots and i never been up there. your ideas about putting in the yogurt thing and charging stations would have been great.
    luckily i got to eat in the moose lodge once before they closed it. burger was great. hope they have one similar when they open back up.

01/02/2014 at 4:59 pm

My sister and I went on New Year’s Day and took our nine-year-old, thrill seeking great nephew with us. He enjoyed everything. Crowds were minimal and we got on everything we rode within 20 minutes. Since we got there late (my fault, long story), we only rode Full Throttle, Ninja, Superman: EFK, Tatsu, and Lex Luthor. Even though we walked right past Mooseburger Lodge, I didn’t notice anything about a remodel/retheme, but then I wasn’t really looking for anything like that and didn’t stop.

My only concern about Mooseburger Lodge becoming a Full Throttle-themed sports bar is that it will be yet one more loud, chaotic place in the park. Of course, that fits the Full Throttle theme, but there needs to be at least one other sit-down restaurant where a family can relax and enjoy a meal without loud music or videos playing. The former Laughing Dragon restaurant up on the mountain would make an ideal place for that, but my guess is that these days it’s pretty much only used for special events and such.

11. Andrew

01/03/2014 at 12:22 am

I was going to go that day, and seeing how low the crowds were, I regret it. But man am I disappointed about the sky tower! I always go up and relax up there after lunch (due to it being calm; yet exciting, fun, and of course, air conditioned). I never went in the Mooseburger Lodge. What a shame. However it really does bug me about how they close the water rides in the winter. I understand Roaring Rapids, but I think they should at least keep Jetstream open and possibly Tidal Wave. Come on! We are Southern California! I have friends who brag to their out of state relatives how they can go to the beach in January! Oh and what’s the gum and M&M’s for? Me and my friends noticed that the other day. We gladly accepted, but we were curious. Also completely off topic, but how do they get the attention of riders on lex Luthor when the ride breaks down? We were about to go inside the queue until I looked up and saw it stuck halfway up the tower, and it remained that way for about ten minutes. I felt kinda bad until I realized theres no way they could know how long they were going to be stuck up there, then i felt really bad! I hope they have speakers up there to let them know. I’m no coaster wimp, but I’d be flipping out with all the swaying up there for ten minutes!

12. Alex C.

01/03/2014 at 6:33 pm

I went on the 23rd and boy that was a mistake. Only got on 5 rides when I usually get on them all with my strategy of starting at the back. What was supposed to be a 10 min wait for goliath turned into over an hour due to an extended delay. I was hoping to ride batman and colosus one more time before they are set backwards 🙁 I wish I would have gone nye

• Andrew

01/03/2014 at 11:51 pm

What is your method? I got a pass, so I’m trying to figure the best strategy to get on the most rides. Anyone else suggest any methods? Right now I start the day at Full Throttle, so I get on in like 5-10 min., then I go around the park counter-clockwise until I get to johnny rockets, eat, samurai summit, then i go back down to apocalypse, tatsu, and X2. Is this strategy effective? It is very flexible.

13. JAIRO

01/03/2014 at 6:45 pm

I went on the 31st also got there at opening went on GOLIATH, LEX LUTHER, SCREAM, GREEN LANTERN, BATMAN, APOCALYPSE,VIPER,with no long wait on all of them. had a lunch break at panda express around 2. then went on NINJA, and fULL THROTTLE which was the only one i waited for. overall had a good day at the park.

14. sfmm inside

01/03/2014 at 9:19 pm

the sky tower is just under refurbishment

15. sfmm inside

01/03/2014 at 9:20 pm

the sky tower is just under refurbishment will open again

01/03/2014 at 9:30 pm

Are you sure? What are they doing to it and when will it reopen?

• Will

01/05/2014 at 2:29 am

The latest I’ve heard is that a part is broken and the company that made it isn’t around anymore, so the park is looking for possible another company to produce the part.

16. sfmm inside

01/03/2014 at 10:52 pm

it is just getting repairs and cleaning i dont have a date sorry

• Andrew

01/05/2014 at 7:20 pm

They posted on their website that the sky tower and water rides will open on March 22! Can’t wait! However X2 isn’t even on their website right nowon the list of thrill rides… 🙁

17. Andrew

01/04/2014 at 11:27 am

I’m there right now. Almost no lines! 😀

• Kevin

01/04/2014 at 7:44 pm

Nice. Hopefully no lines tomorrow too because I’m going and I want to get in as many rides as possible.

• Andrew

01/04/2014 at 8:29 pm

It will probably be un-crowded. I think everybody is getting ready for the week, since they have to go back to either work or school. I got on every single ride at least once except riddlers revenge and of course X2.

18. Kevin

01/05/2014 at 8:25 pm

You were totally right. It wasn’t crowded at all as the only coasters we didn’t get on was Tatsu and of course X2. My friends that I went with picked the worst day to get their season passes processed, though, because they weren’t even taking advantage of the special deal and the line was incredibly long for processing, the complete opposite of how it looked in this trip report. Amazingly, though, they opened up another building as we were standing in line for getting our passes processed. We were led into a park of the park that wasn’t open to the public and brought to a little building where my friends got their passes processed. We totally lucked out, because instead of waiting in an hour long line, it took us 10 minutes.

• Andrew

01/05/2014 at 11:46 pm

Wow! Where is that building located? I had to wait an hour and a half to get mine!

• Kevin

01/06/2014 at 7:07 am

They opened up a gate they opened up on the right side of the will call building and led us through that and to the right. We walked down a little street which led us past a restroom that an employee actually came out of and straight into this little building with no name or signs on it whatsoever.

19. sfmm inside

01/12/2014 at 6:45 pm

update !!! these are confirmed
    x2: will open mid January
    mburger being transformed into new restaurant will reopen in march

• Andrew

01/12/2014 at 11:27 pm

Yay! I can’t wait for X2!

20. Pingback: Full Throttle Sports Bar At Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy - The Coaster Guy