Magic Mountain Replacing Sky Tower With 550′ Polercoaster

By on 04/01/2014

Seeing old attractions torn down and replaced by brand new roller coasters is nothing new to Six Flags Magic Mountain fans. However, in what is sure to be a shock to many people, the old attraction being scrapped this time is the iconic Sky Tower, and the roller coaster that is replacing it is a world record breaking 550′ tall Polercoaster. In true Magic Mountain fashion, they’re not just breaking one world record, but three! It will be the world’s tallest roller coaster, have the world’s tallest inversion at 515′, and the 8,175′ of track will also make it the world’s longest roller coaster.

poler-2

The Sky Tower is 43 years old, original to the park when it first opened its gate to the public in 1971. It’s a true icon of the park, recognizable by just about any theme park fan, but it is getting very long in the tooth and is showing its age. The paint is severely faded and peeling, the carpet inside is stained and ripped up, and both elevators are in dire need of some serious mechanical work. It has very high maintenance costs and extremely low ridership. Rather than spend the money needed to fix up an aging icon, the park decided to build a new icon, one that properly represents it is as the Thrill Capital of the World. With more roller coasters than any park on the planet, an unprecedented and unbelievable 20, it seems fitting to have a coaster that can be seen from up to 10 miles away.

The Polercoaster is a radical new concept in thrill rides. Introduced to the world in 2011 as a joint venture between US Thrill Rides and S&S Worldwide, it takes an observation tower, much like the Sky Tower, and wraps a roller coaster all the way around it, from top to bottom. S&S Worldwide is the company that bought the assets of Arrow Dynamics after they went bankrupt building X (X2), so the park already has a partial relationship with them.

poler-1

The Polercoaster will be 550′ tall, which will make it the tallest roller coaster in the world when it opens. The first confirmed Polercoaster will be 325′ and is being built in Georgia. The second confirmed installation will be 525′ tall and will be built in a soon to be announced location in Florida. Six Flags Magic Mountain chose 550′ to ensure that it is the tallest when it opens. There is a proposal for a 650′ version to be built in Las Vegas, but it’s just a proposal at this time.

The roller coaster will load powered 8-passenger El Loco cars at the bottom of the tower and they will spiral up to the top before gravity takes over. The first element will be an inversion at 515′, setting yet another world record. The car will then dip, turn, curve, and flip, speeding up to 67 MPH and pulling up to 4.5 Gs, through the rest of the 8,175′ of track, which sets a third world record for the longest roller coaster on the planet. The coaster will be able to handle up to 1,150 riders per hour.

In addition to being a roller coaster, the Polercoaster is also a modern observation tower. There are two glass elevators that will quickly whisk you up to two glass enclosed observation levels. One level will be open to all park guests and have a snack bar and gift shop. The second level will be used for meetings and special events. You will even be able to rent the space out for private parties, such as a birthday or a wedding.

poler-3

The outside of the tower will have a state-of-the-art LED lighting package, including a 360 degree, panoramic video screen that can be seen for miles. In addition to in-house promotions for rides, events, and special deals, I’m sure we’ll see the occasional paid advertising pop up on this screen to help defray some of the costs of building it. No more hand-made rope lighting signs attached to the side of the tower. Yay!

It’s going to take close to two years to remove the Sky Tower and build the Polercoaster. Demolition work will start this summer with a projected opening date of Summer 2016. The Sky Tower has been closed for months and those of you with acute eyes may have noticed that the Sky Tower has already been removed from the 2014 park map. The picture is still there, but they removed it from the legend. The current rumors are that an RMC Iron Horse makeover of Colossus will be the big 2015 attraction, with work being done in parallel with this job. There will be an unprecedented party in 2016, celebrating not only the new Polercoaster, but also the first theme park in the world to ever offer 20 different roller coasters in one location.

EDIT: Happy Aprils Fools Day 2014!!

1. dylan

04/01/2014 at 7:07 am

I nearly died when I read this but then I realized it was April 1st. happy April fools day.

2. Looper

04/01/2014 at 7:22 am

And to this I say, “Why Not”?

• Bjorn

04/02/2014 at 10:10 am

You must be kidding.

3. Flynn

04/01/2014 at 7:27 am

Don’t give them any ideas! They probably would do this and slap a big Panda Express and m&M’s ad on the side of it.

4. Candice Hargrove

04/01/2014 at 8:49 am

I was so confused when I saw this on Facebook, and the whole time I was just sitting here thinking, is this real?????????? And then I realized it was April Fool’s hahaha! That would be awesome if this was actually true!!

5. Julien De Cosse

04/01/2014 at 8:52 am

Nice Joke. You almost had me last year with the New Metro

6. Andrew Marostica

04/01/2014 at 9:48 am

I hate April fools day, you got my hopes up haha

7. John

04/01/2014 at 10:03 am

This isn’t funny, man! You don’t joke about stuff like this! Gaaaaaahhhhh

8. John

04/01/2014 at 10:40 am

If this is April fool’s, I think this is better !

9. Nathan

04/01/2014 at 10:52 am

Kurt are we getting a new coaster named cobra because that’s what it says on the website or is something just being re named

04/01/2014 at 11:17 am

I noticed that this morning and took a snapshot to post. Thanks for the reminder.

• me

07/03/2014 at 8:55 pm

thats a glitch. they took it off now.

10. steve austin

04/01/2014 at 12:10 pm

I got to hand it to you Kurt…you are very thorough and detailed in your little joke….Kudos my friend!!

11. Tim

04/01/2014 at 5:04 pm

I think this Polercoaster would be great addition to Six Flags, replacing the Sky Tower. It would get more people to the top, more in the Observation Tower, the coaster, it would be great, however how would they remove the SKy Tower? The Tatsu Track wraps around it, and if this Polercoaster Tower was built in the same space, it would have to have the exact dimensions, so it doesn’t extend further out, hitting the Tatsu track. If would have to be removed piece and section at a time I guess with a big crane. I know this is an April Fool’s joke, but what a great addition this would be, replacing the 43 year-old Sky Tower, and making SFMM better than ever.

12. Casey

04/01/2014 at 6:12 pm

Well, here’s Cobra for ya.

“Sure, this elaborately modeled, snake-themed junior coaster looks tame enough. But you should never trust a snake, because this fast-paced jaunt will keep your whole family coiled up in nonstop fun!

As the giant snake pulls into the station you’ll notice a larger-than-life cobra head is the hissing head of this slithering ride, and you’ll be riding on his scaly back. The snake train is so long the head and tail probably don’t know what each other are doing. But wherever you ride, this course will bring out the snake charmer in you.

Slither around the track as smooth as a real snake, with long, sloping curves, and cruising twists that’ll keep you glued to your chair in slinking suspense. Your serpent-like train stretches out through the 1200-foot-long course. He whips his tail around bends and hisses over hills, lifting 26 feet off the ground while slithering at a breezy 22 miles per hour.

You’ll hug the ground, staying low as the snake gets ready to strike. Then this cobra pulses up to pivot around a tight turn, reminding you who’s in charge. You never know when that snake is going to turn on you!”
    April Fools or for real?

13. sfmm inside

04/01/2014 at 6:16 pm

I’m calling bs because I work there and this is the first I’ve heard of this…..

14. Nathan

04/01/2014 at 7:40 pm

Nice Try…

15. Roger

04/01/2014 at 9:40 pm

Great joke, but wouldn’t be a bad idea…but then they would need to rebuild the foundation to resolve the sinking problem that the existing tower has. 🙂

16. Xander

04/01/2014 at 10:06 pm

This would be awesome… if Skytower wasn’t a historical landmark and will probably outlive SFMM.

04/01/2014 at 10:32 pm

Historical landmark? From who? Please point me to where you got that information.

• Ed

07/11/2015 at 6:41 pm

Well, it opened in 1971. Why remove it?? I don’t even think it would be possible to do that, Just think how much work people had to put into that thing, they had to put a million pieces together and screw tons of bolts on it! It just ruins the charm Magic Mountain has. Plus you can see the whole view of the park up there, it’s amazing.It wouldn’t be a good idea, it is an icon of magic mountain in my opinion. Im quite shocked people were excited about this before they knew it was an april fools joke. I knew it was an obvious joke dude, Six flags takes good care of their rides.

• Ed

07/11/2015 at 6:42 pm

Also, they removed that historic tree stump, why do it?

17. Robert

04/02/2014 at 1:20 am

OMG Kurt that was not nice at all, I literally was trembling with excitement at the thought of this happening. Very good April fools joke :O)

18. Matt

04/02/2014 at 4:15 am

Pretty pathetic that the park lets so many attractions have so much downtime that such farfetched plans could almost sound plausible.

Speaking of rides being down, yesterday, March 31st, I saw about a half dozen workers doing rounds along the JetStream channels, looked like they were doing inspections. Could be we’ll see it operational by next week.

19. Tony

04/02/2014 at 7:30 am

Nice joke…

This wouldn’t be a bad idea though…

You could have this new tower, paint it the same red as the original, then have the coaster tracks’ colors match California’s official state colors…Blue and Gold…

2016? 45 Year Anniversary, 2021? 50 Year Anniversary…

20. Andrew the Epic

04/03/2014 at 12:10 am

I knew it was fake immediately. There’s no way magic mountain would pay that much! Even the animation was too nice. Though seriously, that would be amazing.

21. Nate

04/03/2014 at 12:44 pm

Ahhhhhhh you got me so bad!!!
    That was hilarious!! I would really like to see that happen though!!!
    On a side note I’ve been following your website for a little over a year, I absolutely love it!!!
    Keep up the great work,
    -Nate

22. me

07/03/2014 at 8:58 pm

wouldn’t they have to close tatsu while they were building this because they sky tower is right next to tatsu?. but, maybe they won’t, anyway, its just an april fool’s joke, who cares?

23. Ed

07/11/2015 at 6:28 pm

Thank god this was an april fools joke. I can’t believe people actually would like it if they removed it. I mean why?? It’s a beautiful icon of Magic Mountain, I think it shouldn’t be removed. The Eiffel tower is still standing.