UA-20143982-1 Should Six Flags Magic Mountain get a Polercoaster? - The Coaster Guy

Should Six Flags Magic Mountain install a Polercoaster?

By on 04/02/2014

Even though yesterday’s post about Six Flags Magic Mountain replacing the Sky Tower with a Polercoaster was an April Fools Day joke, it was amazing how many people were all for it. I was actually expecting more of a backlash from people wanting to save the Sky Tower. Therefore, let’s take a little poll and see how the majority of you really feel about the proposal.

Should Six Flags Magic Mountain install a Polercoaster?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

1. Mike

04/02/2014 at 11:36 am

I kind of like how after I eat, I can let my stomach digest with a non-thrill-ride attraction like Sky Tower, where I can also quiet all that theme-park noise for a few, as well as revel in some SFMM nostalgia thanks to the (albeit far-from-perfect) memorabilia/artifact exhibition up there. Keep the Tower, and let’s get some inversion-free, gimmick-free rides in there.

04/02/2014 at 12:21 pm

I’m guessing you haven’t been to the park in awhile, Mike. The museum pieces have been gone for a couple of years now. The tower has been completely empty.

• Jairo

04/05/2014 at 6:59 am

probably already have plenty to look at.”“This is your chance to see all the great rides you’ve been on today, and make a plan for the ones you still haven’t conquered yet. Another treat waiting at the top is a memorabilia tour documenting the history of Six Flags Magic Mountain, including photos, scale models of roller coasters, and even Six Flags TV commercials from different eras. But with the 360 degree views from this landmark known throughout the land, you’ll probably already have plenty to look at.”

• Jairo

04/05/2014 at 7:05 am

This is on the six flags website they are bring back the museum. oh sorry about the other reply/ post. but here it is

• me

07/02/2014 at 4:31 pm

where does the website say that, if you go under all three typer of ride sections, skewer isn’t in it.

• me

07/02/2014 at 4:32 pm

i meant sky tower

• Ed

07/11/2015 at 8:04 pm

It has a museum?

07/11/2015 at 8:40 pm

It used to have a museum years ago, when people could still go up there. It’s been closed to the public for a couple of years now. It may never reopen.

• me

07/02/2014 at 4:28 pm

OR we can keep the sky tower, and just have a polercoaster around it. i like roller coasters and the sound of screams.

2. steve austin

04/02/2014 at 12:14 pm

If they do it …..I think they should literally SHATTER the old record for tallest and go for something like 700′ while they are at it.

04/02/2014 at 12:21 pm

I agree. What’s an extra $10-20M between friends? 😉

• steve austin

04/02/2014 at 2:08 pm

Well its like when they built Superman the Escape in ’97, at 415′ nothing was even remotely close to that height. And if they put a Polercoaster in at 550′, then of course Cedar Point will put one in that’s 555′. BUT, if they do one that is 700′, I think that record would probably stand for a while. But yeah…whats another $20M….its only money right? haha

• me

07/02/2014 at 4:33 pm

or how about 1000′ so many Gs that everyone will pass out. lol.

3. Las Vegas Amusement Park

04/02/2014 at 1:27 pm

As much as I love the nostalgia of the old Sky Tower it is time to put it to bed and put in something new. A Polercoaster would be perfect because there would still be a tower with a new ride attached. The Polercoaster tower can be built with two decks; one deck for an observation area and return of the museum and a second deck for a restaurant/bar, like the new Full Throttle Sports Bar & Grill. A Polercoaster would be a win-win-win.

4. Tony

04/02/2014 at 2:17 pm

Replacing the Sky Tower with a Polercoaster wouldn’t be a bad idea…

You could have this new tower, paint it the same red as the original, then have the coaster tracks’ colors match California’s official state colors…Blue and Gold…

2016? 45 Year Anniversary, 2021? 50 Year Anniversary…

• me

07/02/2014 at 4:36 pm

prop 2016. the sky tower is empty and useless now, and magic mountain REALLY wants 20 coasters. colossus is closing, which means iron colossus in 2015. that is not adding a new coaster, just replacing one, so, it would be in 2016.

5. sfmm inside

04/02/2014 at 4:24 pm

it will never happen …

6. sfmm inside

04/02/2014 at 4:30 pm

straight from website pretty sure this was not there before check it out https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/attractions/sky-tower

04/02/2014 at 4:46 pm

That’s an old description from when the museum was still up there. For some reason, really old content has started to reappear on their web site.

04/02/2014 at 4:48 pm

Just like on the 2014 park map, the Sky Tower had actually been removed from the web site as well. It only recently reappeared, but with that old content. I think something happened and they restored an old backup of their site.

7. sfmm inside

04/02/2014 at 5:06 pm

i guess that explains it any word on that cobra ride that came up on the website ? had to be a glitch ?

04/02/2014 at 5:20 pm

Same thing. It was part of the SFDK web site that they used as a template to build out the SFMM site. Looks like thy restored an old backup, which brought that piece back with it.

8. sfmm inside

04/02/2014 at 5:25 pm

thanks

9. John

04/02/2014 at 8:04 pm

Option 2 seems unrealistic I highly doubt the sky towers existing structure could handle the additional weight of roller coasters running off it, I say axe the whole tower and start from scratch.

04/02/2014 at 10:04 pm

I think a Polercoaster would be a good ride at SFMM, being that it would be another ride that no one else (locally, anyway) has. But not in place of the Sky Tower. Even if the Polercoaster is taller than the Sky Tower, you just can’t replace what has become an icon of the park. The tower is known world wide, and I just can’t imagine the park without it.

If they do decide to put in a Polercoaster, I say make it as tall as they can—even if they go 600 or 700 feet high.

11. Josh

04/03/2014 at 2:32 pm

I think it would be great to incorporate a coaster into the existing tower. It would be really great if the train was pulled up the track with everybody loaded and unloaded at the bottom. Then when you get to the top it’s a reverse free fall down the track you just climbed. The worlds first reverse pole coaster.

04/04/2014 at 12:22 am

There’s no way you could attach a roller coaster to the existing Sky Tower structure. It’d have to be replaced by a Polercoaster.

12. JD

04/03/2014 at 3:20 pm

Aren’t these polar coasters costing around 100 mil? If thats the case I dont see it ever happening. I think it would be awesome but realistically that is way over any budget I could ever imagine they’d recieve. Then again I’m not in the business so who knows

• Tyler Chinappi

08/23/2014 at 11:26 pm

that part I agree with you…. why spend that much on ONE ride when they could spend that kind of money on, say, 2 or 3 coasters, which if they did 3 then they could make each 20 mil a piece then spend the last 40 mil on new flat rides/attractions, repaints, etc

13. sfmm inside

04/04/2014 at 2:08 am

They would never spend that much on a attraction that’s just insane ….

04/04/2014 at 7:26 am

Nobody other than Disney would. That’s astronomical.

14. enoc

04/04/2014 at 8:18 am

it will be cool to have one, but who knows what will get for next year. six flags needs to fix the park add more carnival rides around the park wish they can do something with the themes around the park.

15. Jairo

04/05/2014 at 7:11 am

we also have to think about the proximity of tatsu to the tower aren’t polarcoaster towers wider? sorry about the earlier post should of read all the comments before..

16. Brenden

04/05/2014 at 2:10 pm

Kurt, any chance you can come to Six Flags to say hi? Waiting in the FT line

04/05/2014 at 2:35 pm

I wish I could, but I’m up at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk right now.

17. Rebekah

04/06/2014 at 10:55 am

I think a Polercoaster would be a pretty cool idea!

Anyone having trouble with the season pass site to look at benefits? They changed the format completely and I can’t get it to scroll down to actually look at anything.

18. josh

04/06/2014 at 1:51 pm

Bring back x force.

19. josh

04/06/2014 at 1:56 pm

*z force

20. Ryan O'Neill

04/07/2014 at 10:01 am

I still believe that the park has bigger things to worry about than adding a new thrill ride every 2 years. The Magic Mountain experience is much more than the number of world records… how about improving the transportation system (currently non-existent), or adding in some more live entertainment?

04/14/2014 at 1:06 pm

I like the idea of polercoaster/observation tower in SFMM’s future… would be a very neat investment, along with SFMM possibly being first Six Flags park to get this attraction. The only 2 companies known to manufacture them are US Thrill Rides and S&S Worldwide. Not sure if Intamin would be interested in experimenting with this or not. I do like the stratacoaster/drop tower ride concept that Intamin and Six Flags have done… from SFMM’s Superman: Escape from Krypton/Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom… to SFGADV’s Kingda Ka/Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom.

I still picture SFMM investing in Iron Colossus, which is rumored to possibly be next on RMC’s radar… and SFMM also investing in Super SkyScreamer (taller than SFOT and SFNE SkyScreamer rides), possibly saving the best for last.

22. Scott C

06/07/2014 at 11:26 am

Just read that Orlando is getting one. Will be the tallest roller coaster by a long shot.

23. Donovan Y

08/16/2014 at 8:03 pm

I really think that they would but they wouldnt spend that much money on one rollercoaster

24. Ed