Full Throttle Sports Bar Opens At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 04/22/2014

When the Mooseburger Lodge closed unexpectedly last December at Six Flags Magic Mountain, some of us feared the worse. With no announcements about the closure, the rumor mill kicked into high gear. Was it being shuttered? Was it being re-themed? Was it being transformed into something besides a restaurant? I am happy to report that on Friday, April 18th, the restaurant reopened and is now known as Full Throttle Sports Bar.

The previous theme was very dark and woodsy, with lots of trees and Moose, which was all part of the High Sierra Territory theme of that area of the park. Over time, much of that theme went away. With the new Full Throttle Plaza and Full Throttle roller coaster moving into the area, with lots of high energy action, it was time for Mooseburger Lodge to get a facelift, and the Full Throttle Sports Bar was born.

This is the new paint job and signage, as seen from the Full Throttle Plaza:

SFMM_TR_20140418_30

The entrance is just around the corner. The hanging sign should be up by the time you read this:

SFMM_TR_20140323_25

When you first walk in the doors, you immediately feel welcome. Unlike the previous entry, it is well lit with natural light and you have an unobstructed view straight ahead into the dinning area:

SFMM_FTSB_2

A host or hostess will take your name and seat you when a table is ready. There are bleachers and benches to sit in while you are waiting, and multiple TVs to watch:

SFMM_FTSB_1

Full Throttle Sports Bar does take reservations. You can stop by anytime and put your name down. This is great if you have a bigger group and want to reserve a table for lunch or dinner.

There is a lot more seating than there was before, both upstairs and down. Even though the park wasn’t very busy when I arrived, there were a lot of people enjoying the new sports bar, and it was well after the lunch hour:

SFMM_FTSB_5

With a sports theme, it only made sense that there should be a giant scoreboard. The Six Flags maintenance guys came up with the idea and even built this themselves. There are four large screen TVs and speakers hanging in the center of the building, just like you’d see in a sports arena:

SFMM_FTSB_6

Speaking of TVs, there are 35 of them throughout the building. They are fed by seven DirecTV receivers, as well as cable, so they’d be hard pressed to miss a game if it’s on TV. Six of the satellite boxes are used for video feeds while the seventh is mostly used for music piped through the system. If there is a really big game on, they will likely show that on a majority of the TVs with the sound from that game playing.

There is some great sports memorabilia on all of the walls, representing most of the Southern California sports teams such as the Kings, Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, and even the Trojans. It’s too bad they couldn’t have kept the Stanley Cup when it visited the park last year. It would have looked great here:

SFMM_FTSB_3

There’s lots of seating and great TV visibility on the second floor as well. If you just want to pop in for a quick bite or drink, and don’t want to wait for a table, you can just grab a seat at the bar if there’s one available. There are also several tables close to the bar that are reserved for bar patrons that don’t require you to be seated by the hostess. Just look for the signs on the table:

SFMM_FTSB_4

The menu comes on a sports clipboard, and there’s a little something for everyone: appetizers, wings, burgers, sandwiches, salads, and desserts. The second page lists all of the beverages available, such as beer, wine, soft drinks, etc:

SFMM_FTSB_8

There are several beers on tap and customers are saying that it’s the coldest beer they’ve ever had. Apparently, the fine folks over at Budweiser installed something special to ensure that it comes out as cold as possible to help combat the brutal midway temperatures that we typically see during the summer months.

Even though the 2014 park map shows there to be Season Pass Dining options available at the Full Throttle Sports Bar, those are not yet available. The park is still analyzing what they are going to do there.

The park provided me with the Full Throttle Sports Bar Sampler platter to try a variety of things. It included deep fried cheese balls (cheese curds?), onion rings, deep fried green beans, and some hot wings. The cheese balls and green beans were both new to me and I really liked them. I mean, c’mon…who wouldn’t like fried cheese? The onion rings were good, but there was nothing really unique about them. The chicken wings were cooked perfect for me – a little crunchy on the outside and very moist on the inside. The seasoning was a little too spicy for me, but I have a very sensitive mouth and I think most people who enjoy wings would like them. I dipped them in the homemade ranch dressing which cooled them down nicely. The ketchup is mixed with a Sriracha to give it a bit of a kick:

SFMM_FTSB_7

The new Full Throttle Sports Bar looks great inside and has ice cold air conditioning. It’s a great place to take a break from the heat and enjoy some good food and beverage. There are a lot of good looking items on the menu, and I can’t wait to start trying some of them. If you’ve already eaten here, let me know what you think in the comments below.

If you like this post, or this site in general, please do me a favor and let your friends know by clicking on one of the social media buttons below, like Facebook or Twitter.

1. Susan

04/23/2014 at 2:08 am

I know where we’ll be eating lunch when we’re back in November!!

2. Jeff Wesson

04/23/2014 at 7:28 am

I’ll be there to check it out this Friday! Can’t wait!

3. Daniel

04/23/2014 at 4:41 pm

Do you know if they still have the all you can eat buffet from the mooseburger logdge

04/23/2014 at 6:18 pm

I’m sorry Daniel, but the buffet went away with the Mooseburger theme. The brand new bar is where the buffet used to be.

• Alicia

01/14/2016 at 2:59 am

This is why we would eat at the mooselodge. The price was good and it was all you can eat. This was our dinner place.

4. Kevin

04/23/2014 at 6:11 pm

Is there a way to get a higher quality picture of the menu? I’m having some difficulty reading it.

04/23/2014 at 6:16 pm

Yah, I’ll post a better one soon. I only grabbed the one photo because I was talking to park folks at the time. I’ll take more the next time I’m there.

• Kevin

04/25/2014 at 5:35 pm

Cool. It would be nice if theme parks in general had their menus online for guests to view ahead of time. To my knowledge, I do not think any park does this, at least not that I can recall.

04/24/2014 at 1:01 am

What’s the noise level like in there? Do they have some kind of music playing? If it’s not too bad, then I’ll stop in and try it out. But otherwise, not being a fan of sports, I’ll likely stay clear of it.

04/24/2014 at 6:13 am

The noise level isn’t bad at all. Like I mentioned above, they use one of the satellite receivers to play music throughout the restaurant. You don’t hear the audio from all the different TVs. They said the only exception would be when there’s a really big game on, then they’ll swap out the music for the audio from that game. For example, I’m sure you can expect to hear the Super Bowl when it’s on.

6. Carla

05/01/2014 at 3:09 pm

What cable company do they use? I want to know if they show any Dodger games? 🙂

05/02/2014 at 4:46 pm

I’m pretty sure it’s Time-Warner since that’s the only one we have in the area.

7. Karen

05/02/2014 at 12:44 pm

Celebrating my sons 13th bday there in the park. Do you know if they sing to the birthday person?

05/02/2014 at 4:45 pm

I’m not sure, but please let us know what you find out.

8. Roy

05/02/2014 at 10:33 pm

Rate this place pothetic at best. The atmosphere was ok service was horrible the food was wilted, the ketchup was petrified like it was poured into a condiment cup days ago. Our waitress tried to do a good job with the horrible product she had to work with. However her own skills were limited. Do waste your money on anything other than beer here.

9. Pat Sweeney

07/02/2014 at 7:56 am

Too bad they could not have removed a few coats of paint in the downstairs office. The main wall of that room, when it was part of the Timbermill Restaurant, has a 2 foot long Tommy Lasorda autograph. He signed the wall that was painted to look like a Dodger outfield fence, including the 327 mark. It was then subsequently painted over by a manager. Also on that wall was Globetrotter legend Curly Neal’s large autograph. Good times, indeed.

10. Ron

01/17/2015 at 3:51 pm

Are you showing the playoffs tomorrow?

01/17/2015 at 4:12 pm

Im sorry, but I will not be showing the playoffs tomorrow. However, I’d be really surprised if they weren’t showing them at the Full Throttle Sports Bar.

• Scott C

01/17/2015 at 4:33 pm

Awwwww, cumon Kurt…… 🙂

11. Roxanne

03/07/2015 at 7:29 pm

My experience was not all that great the waitress sat us down and as we waited for a good 5 minutes. The waitress then comes and tells us that they are closed and that we should go to the food places outside.. Very poor customer service. They could of just said their closed and not sitting anyone.. Will not bother with this place again.