Colossus Closing At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 06/03/2014

After much speculation over whether or not Six Flags Magic Mountain was ever going to refurbish their massive wooden roller coaster known as Colossus, the park finally revealed the answer today – kind of. New banners popped up along the front of the park this week announcing that Colossus was going to close on August 16th:

Colo_banner

In addition to the banners, the park also released the following statement today:

Colossus, the king of wooden coasters, ends its 36-year reign on August 16.  Six Flags Magic Mountain will announce exciting future plans for the park we think our Guests will love at a later date. In the meantime, don’t miss your last chance to ride Colossus.

When Colossus opened on 29 June 1978, it was the tallest, fastest, and longest roller coaster in the world, and was even dubbed “The Greatest Roller Coaster in the World.” Although somewhat tame by today’s roller coaster standards, Colossus still has a very loyal following. Sitting on ten acres of land, it also still commands a presence from passing motorists as they drive by on Interstate 5.

Back in 2011, Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC) showed the world what could be done with an older wooden roller coaster by placing their  revolutionary steel IBox track on the Texas Giant at Six Flags Over Texas. Called a hybrid coaster, with a wood frame and steel track, it not only provided an incredibly smooth ride, but also allowed the train to do things that simply weren’t possible with traditional wood track. It wasn’t very long before people started calling for the same work to be done to Colossus. After converting The Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas last year and Medusa at Six Flags Mexico this year, roller coaster enthusiasts everywhere are crossing their fingers that this closure is signaling the long awaited conversion of Colossus into Iron Colossus.

Since Colossus is a racing roller coaster, with two tracks that race side-by-side, many are hoping for the world’s first hybrid racing coaster. Another possibility is that they’ll connect the two tracks into one long track, one circuit on each side, each with a slightly different layout, creating the world’s longest roller coaster once again. Lastly, the possibility also exists that they could scrap the entire coaster all together and build a brand new RMC roller coaster on the same site, setting who knows what kind of world records.

Until they make a formal announcement, all we can do is speculate. Personally, I don’t care if they convert it into Iron Colossus or build a brand new roller coaster, as long as it’s spectacular. It’s been a long time since Six Flags Magic Mountain built the most talked about roller coaster in the world (X? Tatsu?), and frankly, they’re due for another one. That’s what they are known for and that’s what we expect from them.

On a side note, I saw this while visiting Colossus today and couldn’t help but laugh. It’s been about two years since they have used the right side of the station (and track), but they’ve never had a sign that I’ve seen. As soon as the signs go up announcing Colossus’ last day of operation, they post a sign saying the second side is “temporarily” closed:

Colo_sign

Please visit my Colossus ride profile for in-depth information about the history of the ride, including some great construction photos. Colossus will be riding backwards between now and when the ride closes in August. Get your rides in now before it’s too late!

What are some of your favorite memories of Colossus? What do you want them to do with it?

1. enoc

06/03/2014 at 6:54 pm

i will love them to make it into iron colossus it will be awesome

• Domingo

06/03/2014 at 7:52 pm

I hope they don’t remove scream or I’ll be sad

2. Jason

06/03/2014 at 7:28 pm

That sign was up when I was there on May 26th, so they must have dug it out of storage just a couple weeks before the banners went up. I had a good chuckle when I saw it.

3. Great American Coasters

06/03/2014 at 7:36 pm

Colossus is still one of the best wooden coasters out there. I will miss how smooth it was compared to other wooden coasters. The memory I have of riding Colossus(Backwards) is when I was with a friend who was wearing a cape and we were coming over the air-time after the second drop and his cape started to fly off and almost got caught on a beam. Luckily I grab it before it fell off.

4. Domingo

06/03/2014 at 7:38 pm

Kurt I have a question for you do you think if they create iron colossus there is a chance of scream being removed? I would love to see that whole area look like a mini fair because the name is colossus county fair and they can make it look great and hopefully they can make scream more themed. If they remove colossus my opinion that side of the park is going to be really slow because most of the people that attend the park don’t know about scream. but if they Rmc colossus they can help that area a lot and make scream become from being underated

06/03/2014 at 8:17 pm

I seriously doubt they will remove Scream, but I do expect it to be spruced up a bit. If they re-do Colossus, there’s going to be a ton of traffic in that area of the park. I suspect that entire area will be re-themed to something new, going away from the circus vibe. How about a Bizarro make-over on Scream and expand DC Universe down the hill?

• Domingo

06/03/2014 at 8:51 pm

That is not a bad idea they should actually do that, and it could bring more guest to it. I hope they redo colossus I would hate to see it go and if they do redo it colossus will be well known one again.

5. James

06/03/2014 at 8:03 pm

hmm… Maybe the sign is of things to come, with it being it’s final summer season perhaps they plan to get the coaster racing again and while it’s closed “temporarily” to get it back into operating shape for the big summer rush in a few weeks.

One can only hope. If not racing atleast to increase rider capacity.

06/03/2014 at 8:19 pm

That’s actually not a bad hypothesis. One side backwards and the other side forward until the very end. They certainly have the trains to do it. Just a matter of how bad of shape the track is in.

• adam

06/19/2014 at 9:45 am

I was thinking that too that they would make it a raceing coaster again

06/03/2014 at 8:18 pm

I know backwards Batman will stop on June 15, but I also thought backwards Colossus will also stop on that date, and then run forward until its mid-August closure.

7. Rob

06/03/2014 at 8:24 pm

I wouldn’t mind seeing them tear Colossus completely out and building RMCs first Giga hybrid wooden coaster in it’s place.

Colossus holds a very special place in my heart,since it was the very first big coaster I ever rode at about 8yrs old. It’s the monster that set the spark for my love of coasters, I’ll always have my memories now bring on that new RMC Beast!!!

8. James C.

06/03/2014 at 8:31 pm

I love riding this ride backwards but i honestly would like them to just build a completely brand new RMC coaster. However if they do make a Iron Colossus i hope they make it a racing coaster again

9. Looper

06/03/2014 at 9:51 pm

I guess the good side of this for The Coaster Guy will be he wont need to enter the park to see the work in progress and can just view it from the parking lot or from the I-5

10. T J

06/03/2014 at 10:24 pm

If they build a whole new hybrid coaster do you think they will make it as tall or taller than Goliath?

06/03/2014 at 10:35 pm

It wouldn’t be Magic Mountain unless it put Goliath to shame! At least that’s my hope. 😉

11. Chilton Schilling

06/03/2014 at 10:28 pm

Hopefully it goes out with a bang with both sides running. Time for a major overhaul. I’m sure if they could they would keep it running but the older it gets, the more it costs to keep running and besides from this year, it’s been a long time since I have seen a long line for colossus. I bet whatever is coming in will bring coaster enthusiasts from all over the world. If not iron colossus, then I want to see a giga put Millenium force to shame.

12. Francisco O.

06/03/2014 at 10:53 pm

Honestly, I’m kinda sad to see it go,it’s funny how its closing on my birthday and I just got back from Magic Mountain and I rode colossus and I must say it was really bumpy and gave me a headache, and it says that it’ll be running backwards until August 16, is that true?

13. Chilton Schilling

06/03/2014 at 10:59 pm

I’m a lifeguard here in Fresno and though it’s different to dispatch a slide then a roller coaster I gave a brief explanation on what might be the cause of the inconsistency on the revolution page that I hope can explain why you had to go to the back of the line on Superman but not revolution. Just basically a park rule that they don’t agree with but enforce it if they have to like their supervisor is right their and they get in trouble if they allow it.

14. Pingback: Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 3 June 2014 - The Coaster Guy - The Coaster Guy

15. Freddie

06/04/2014 at 7:04 am

It’s bitter sweet about Colossus, that was my daughter’s first big coaster on her last day of kinder in 2008, since then we have had an annual pass and as the years have gone by and she gets on the bigger rides, this has always been our “starter ride” for the day. It’s a rough and rocky ride so it will be nice to see them do something great with it, if they do go the RMC route but I will always miss the original.

16. Yessi V.

06/04/2014 at 8:43 am

Honestly, it’s REALLY sad to see Colossus go…..my hopes are that they will refurbish it, but I don’t think they will…If sfmm can put millennium force to shame, I would definitely be happy, but it would still be sad to see colossus go….one of my fave coasters=(

17. Bubblegumgirl

06/04/2014 at 8:48 am

Why would they do such a thing? This is the most terrifying thing that ever happened in my life!!!!!

• Melanie

07/29/2014 at 1:20 am

I feel you , love. My heart is breaking. I haven’t been to six flags since 2010. & now I barely find out that the ride that gave me courage to try others, is getting his plugged pulled. I don’t know if I’ll have the money in time to ride it one last time. 🙁

18. josh

06/04/2014 at 12:12 pm

Haha.. i agree with bubblegumgirl…i have nothing to say until the offical announcements

• Melanie

07/29/2014 at 1:15 am

I agree with Bublegumgirl & Josh! I love colossus!
      Would not mind a few changes to it. I like the design and the loops and drops as they are. Hopefully they can try the iron colossus instead of breaking the whole ride down, and my heart along with it.

07/29/2014 at 7:11 am

Are you sure you’re thinking of Colossus? It doesn’t actually have any loops on it.

06/04/2014 at 3:59 pm

Other than Colossus, it’s also been heavily rumored that The Boss coaster at Six Flags St. Louis could be a candidate to receive RMC steel-hybrid renovation. It appears that new rumors and rumblings have surfaced about Cyclone coaster at Six Flags New England being another candidate to receive RMC treatment as well.

Again, I’m already leaning toward RMC steel-hybrid treatment on Colossus… and got my fingers crossed on that one become reality… the iconic Six Flags Magic Mountain twin racing coaster being revitalized… just like RMC revitalized Texas Giant, Rattler, and Medusa coasters.

I would assume that Viper could and might very well be SFMM’s least popular coaster. It’s no secret that Arrow Dynamics and Vekoma multi-looping coasters (examples: other than Viper… SFGAM’s Demon, SFSTL’s Ninja, and SFOG’s Ninja… along with SFGAM’s former Shockwave and SFGADV’s former Great American Scream Machine) are known for jerking riders heads against the shoulder restraints, and riders complaining of splitting headaches after getting off. Not sure if SFMM is mulling over removing Viper anytime soon.

06/04/2014 at 7:13 pm

The other two big seven-inversion Arrow coasters-both of them Six Flags rides—have been removed, leaving Viper as the lone survivor. Personally, I don’t think Viper is a bad ride and I don’t get banged around on it so much, but I do think that at some point, Viper will head off into the sunset. The space where it is could be used for something really good at some point in time.

• A.M.

06/04/2014 at 8:21 pm

The rumor is that the Southern California record gigs coaster will replace it after the next coaster

20. Sam Skarin

06/04/2014 at 6:31 pm

I think that they should name it The New Colossus( it sounds more original) and then make it a longer ride instead of making it racing because they never race Colossus. I do agree with Eric that Viper is going to be the next roller coaster to leave the park. If they added new restraints, then it would probably be a better ride. It would be a great refurb if SFMM remodeled Colossus( which they are doing) and then remodel SCREAM! to Bizzaro. It would this section of the park more lively. I don’t think they will do this though because they already have 2 coasters with special effects(X2, Apocalypse).

21. Davis S.

06/04/2014 at 8:00 pm

It is going to be a shame to see one of the most iconic coasters at magic mountain finally bite the dust. However, I really think they are going to follow through with the iron horse treatment. Here in Texas, I remember the same thing about the Rattler. However, the Rattler was in much worse condition than colossus is right now. As for a name, I think Colossus Unleashed would be awesome.

06/05/2014 at 3:12 pm

I do like the idea of SFMM replacing Viper eventually with new giga-coaster (either by B&M, Chance, or Intamin). Alternative idea, if SFMM decides to pass on building giga-coaster… Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter coaster would look good.

Future ride/attraction ideas I could picture… I would like to see SFMM eventually getting a spinning coaster as their 20th coaster, that would likely get the “Pandemonium” name… as well as a couple new flat rides, like a Chance Zipper and/or rumored world’s tallest SkyScreamer ride (taller than SFOT and SFNE)… and former Flashback (which used to be called Z-Force at SFGAM and SFOG) area housing new Tsunami Soaker/Aqua Twist attraction, if nothing else hasn’t taken that area.

23. Scott C.

06/05/2014 at 3:30 pm

I would rather they get a frisbee, as opposed to a skyscreamer.

24. Donald Patti

06/05/2014 at 4:41 pm

Hey, Coaster Guy:

I’ve launched a petition drive to try to save Colossus. Any chance I can get you help in promoting this?

–dp

06/05/2014 at 6:27 pm

I’ll allow your link to be a part of this post, but I don’t want people to think I’m endorsing the effort. What good do you think this will do? No matter how many signatures you get, you still can’t control what SFMM wants to do to the coaster. No offense, but I just see this as a waste of time and an attempt to get some sort of publicity.

25. josh

06/07/2014 at 9:09 am

↑ yup

26. josh

06/07/2014 at 7:31 pm

You should start a petition to keep the park open later. 9 on a saturday, …really? Should be open til 10 daily 12 on the weekends.

27. josh

06/08/2014 at 11:02 pm

Just hybrid it back into the original ride…. lift chain full speed all the over hill, airime hill. Double down..maybe a little taller steeper drops.no freakin inversions..RACER!!!

28. Pingback: Colossus Is Closing at Magic Mountain – 15 Min News.Com

29. Chad

06/16/2014 at 2:14 pm

Hey Kirk I know your own that tour thing but have you seen the new six flags commercial? I think they secretly (at least tried) showed a doubled sided collusus conversion in their montage. Got as little excited hahaha

30. Nathan

06/22/2014 at 7:54 am

This was my first real roller coaster. I remember riding it with my cousins and being scared out of my mind for the first drop. I’m sad to see it go but at the same time being relieved that its finally getting a makeover.

31. Dorian

06/22/2014 at 2:29 pm

That’s a shame that the are taking it out I didn’t really get to ride it that much

32. Dorian

06/22/2014 at 2:30 pm

I never rode déjà vu either

33. Dorian

06/22/2014 at 2:33 pm

I will never forget collous it was a really good ride that ride left me good memory’s but maybe since its pretty old it’s time for it to go i won’t forget to take lots of pictures for better memory’s good ride feel like crying

34. Pingback: Colossus Is Closing at Magic Mountain

35. Ellex King

07/15/2014 at 8:02 am

I see Colossus being refurbished with a track topper by Iron Mountain with new trains with the coaster’s layout staying as is. Colossus best years was 1979 to 1986 when the PTC were installed. The ride was much faster with great air time.

07/15/2014 at 8:24 am

I see this option as being highly unlikely. Given the success they’ve had redoing both Texas Giant and The Rattler, or even building Goliath from scratch, they’re going to do something really, really big here.

36. ashley

07/27/2014 at 9:26 am

I think that they should leave it there, for one it is a piece of history 2. it is the only real roller coaster that looks good where when you look at the other ones and they look like a jumbled up mess of spaghetti because they are all the same where closis stands out 3. it is also is the most fun roller coaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And who is the idiot who is taking it down or making it different because he is sure like Hitler an ass who want every thing the same so basicly because i am different i should be shot because i don’t look like you what that is what this ass is saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Scott C

07/27/2014 at 9:46 am

Wow……

37. Michael McDaniel

08/07/2014 at 2:31 pm

Leave Colossus alone just updated a little bit and let it be It’s great the way it is!

38. Alex

08/15/2014 at 2:34 am

Whatever they decide to do won’t be a let down. We’re talking about 10 acres or so of prime space viewable by the parking lot and the 5 fwy. Whatever they build next will be flagship for sure. Hurricane harbor expansion doesn’t make any sense because they just added 2 new slides. I think it’s safe to say that there will be no RMC treatment and that the structure will be razed, was on Apocalypse today and spotted several wreckers/excavators on standby in the graveyard. Colossus is done. Everybody should be happy, when one chapter closes another one opens! We’re probably going to see a record breaker giga, maybe an out and back coaster or something more like Millenium Force.

39. Alex

08/15/2014 at 2:39 am

…forgot about the Wing Coaster. Don’t know why but I’m willing to bet it’s going to be a wing coaster or dive coaster. Only thing missing.. Then again X2 is kinda a mixture of both. I dunno now.