Colossus Farewell Video At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 06/23/2014

Ever since Six Flags Magic Mountain announced that the Colossus roller coaster would be closing forever on August 16th, people have been clamoring to get in their final rides. Whether you need to make your first ride ever on the behemoth, or just want to get in one final ride for nostalgia’s sake, you better do it quick. Time is running out.

The park invited a few of us out today to record a farewell video to what was once called “The Greatest Roller Coaster in the World.” Here is me taking one of my final spins on Colossus:

Unlike what happened with Log Jammer, when the park unexpectedly closed the ride forever with virtually no notice, and much to the ire of loyal fans, they are going above and beyond announcing the closing of Colossus. The ride even has a shiny new sign on the station entrance:

SFMM_ColossusFarewell_1

A peek behind the glitz and glamor of show business:

SFMM_ColossusFarewell_2

The park has even provided some fun photo ops relating to the coaster. Who can forget when it played the part of Screemy Meemy in National Lampoon’s Vacation? Poke your head through the cutout and you can pretend you and your family are the Griswold’s taking your picture in front of the coaster:

SFMM_ColossusFarewell_4

If you prefer, there’s a more appropriate car to have your picture taken with:

SFMM_ColossusFarewell_3

Of course, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to have my picture taken with the moose:

SFMM_ColossusFarewell_5

These are just a few movies and television shows that Colossus has been in:

SFMM_ColossusFarewell_6

Don’t forget! August 16th will be your last day to ride Colossus….EVER!!!!!

For more history of Colossus, including some great old photos when it was being built, be sure to read my complete Colossus ride profile.

What is your favorite memory on Colossus? Are you going to miss it?

If you like what you see here, be sure to use the social media buttons below to share with your friends. I’m going to be posting a lot of photos on Instagram going forward, so be sure to also follow me there.

1. Clare

06/23/2014 at 9:52 pm

Love this ride. Do you think it is likely that they are going to do iron colossus?

06/23/2014 at 10:24 pm

I’m not sure. The more I think about it, the more I think they’re going to raze it and put something truly spectacular in that spot.

• me

06/25/2014 at 11:25 am

I think they will turn it into iron colossus because the name of the section is COLOSSUS county fair, and if colossus was gone forever, then they would have to rename the section.

• Splasch

08/17/2014 at 5:21 pm

Not nessecarily, psyclone was removed but that area is still cyclone bay

2. Logan Shalit

06/23/2014 at 10:04 pm

I was also at the park today, and I got interviewed by ABC on my memories on Colossus and my opinions of Colossus. Will you be at the park on August 16th to say goodbye to Colossus? I will.

06/23/2014 at 10:25 pm

I hope to be there. The park is thinking about doing something special on the last day, but nothing is concrete yet.

• Scott C.

06/24/2014 at 4:04 pm

Maybe, just maybe, the lines for Tatsu, X2 and Full Throttle might be manageable that day if everybody is hanging out on Colossus…..Well, one can hope anyway.

3. dylan

06/23/2014 at 10:07 pm

I was in the front row line and I saw you get in the car to film. I then passed you on the stairs but was to afraid to say hi lol.

06/23/2014 at 10:44 pm

Nobody should ever be afraid to approach me and say hi. I’m a really nice guy, I like talking to new people, and I hardly ever bite. 😉 But seriously, please do stop me to say hi if you ever see me walking in the park.

• Avg Joe

06/24/2014 at 12:49 am

Kurt, I think people are only scared to say hi for the same reason I am, which is because I thought I saw you in the park one day, only to look on facebook later and see a picture that you posted of you in the park on the same day and the guy I thought was you was apparently your doppelganger (Almost Identical face/look but different clothes). As always though, thanks for the posts!

• Scott C.

06/24/2014 at 7:32 am

And if you are lucky, you might get to ride a coaster with him!

• Gregg

06/24/2014 at 12:28 pm

Don’t listen to him, I was waiting with him to ride for almost an hour and I couldn’t say anything because I thought he was going to yell at me.

Oh wait, that’s not this site. =)

• Isaac

07/07/2014 at 1:43 pm

hi

4. enoc

06/23/2014 at 10:32 pm

i will miss colossus is a great coster, still remember when i got on is was my second coster at six flags, i was really scared but now is nothing, hope they will put something amazing .

5. M. Smith

06/24/2014 at 5:33 am

August 16— I believe that is National Roller Coaster Day, so I hope they do something special!

06/26/2014 at 2:36 pm

You are correct, and they already know that as well. Can’t wait to see what they come up with!

6. Justin

06/24/2014 at 9:53 am

I’m just surprised that they were taping this early. Who else was invited for tapings?

06/26/2014 at 2:36 pm

I couldn’t tell you…I didn’t send out the invites.

06/24/2014 at 3:54 pm

It would be neat to see Colossus getting the RMC steel-hybrid transformation, like what was done to SFOT’s Texas Giant, SFFT’s Rattler, and SFM’s Medusa wood coasters. If the I-Box re-track rumors pan out to be true, it’d likely be 2016 when newly transformed and re-themed Colossus would reopen… transformation would take 12-16 months (along the lines of the Texas Giant transformation). We’re likely to find out sometime in August when Six Flags announces 2015 season plans for its North American parks.

8. Domingo

06/24/2014 at 7:33 pm

My opinion I think there’s a chance that colossus will be completely removed and there’s a chances that it will get the Rmc treatment but you have to think that there will be only one wooden coaster left after August 16 and the Rmc treatment has been rumored for awhile. I think that if they remove it they’ll have almost over 11 acres to build. And if they do RMC it it’s definitely going to be a record breaker because that’s what SFMM is known for. Kurt I also have a question for you I’m going back to SFMM in August and I’m dieing to ride full throttle and I didn’t get the chance to ride it when I went April 18th do you think it will be crowded?

• Scott C.

06/25/2014 at 6:58 am

I am not Kurt, but I can tell you, that ride always has long lines. I have a gold pass, and that is always the first one I run to. Gold pass folks have a 10 minute head start into the park before everybody else gets in. That is, unless, the finger scanners are jamming things up.

06/26/2014 at 2:37 pm

Six Flags Magic Mountain in August? Yah, it’ll be busy!!

• domingo

06/28/2014 at 8:58 pm

how about august 31? that is when i am going…

• Produceman James

06/27/2014 at 11:58 am

Another option: if you have a Discover card and daily tickets go through the special Discover entrance. There’s hardly a line and entrance is usually smooth. You also get to go in early and can get to full throttle fairly quickly. I’d advise getting to the park At least an hour early if not earlier.

9. Jodi

06/24/2014 at 10:34 pm

So nice to know I wasn’t invited even though my husband and I renewed our vows on Colossus last year to celebrate 25 years of marriage.That ride was on our first date. I’m hoping for a RMC treatment because this boy deserves it.

06/26/2014 at 3:42 pm

I agree about RMC treatment. Got my fingers crossed that Colossus receives I-Box re-track.

10. john

06/25/2014 at 10:58 am

Colossus has to be the most iconic roller coaster in the world, Very sad to see it go, hopefully they remodel it and keep it somewhat still iconic.

• James

06/27/2014 at 6:51 pm

Don’t you think you are exaggerating a little?
      The most iconic in the world ?

Probably not even in California!

• Domingo

06/29/2014 at 2:49 am

No he’s not I think colossus is one of the most iconic because it was the tallest and drops above 100ft and it is dueling so he is not exaggerating not one bit. I’m gonna miss colossuss…

06/29/2014 at 9:44 pm

I think Colossus is very iconic, but not one of the most iconic in the world. I think the Sky Tower is more iconic to SFMM than Colossus is. And I suspect that more people are familiar with Revolution than they are with Colossus, just because of it’s historical significance in the coaster community.

11. Erik

06/25/2014 at 12:37 pm

Log Jammer and now Colossus, nothing lasts forever but it breaks my heart. Just happy I live locally so I can live it up the last couple months..

12. josh

06/25/2014 at 5:34 pm

Im gonna stamd by the ropes near closing time and jump in line last second….determined to ride the last train

06/26/2014 at 3:04 pm

I’m pretty sure the very last train to cycle will be full of employees the next day, after it’s closed to the public but before they pull the trains off.

13. josh

06/25/2014 at 5:45 pm

Sfmm is going to very loved or very hated when all is said and done..Big shoes to fill. Colossus is more than just a giant coaster, it is a staple of so-cal…i think it is anyway..when i leave to the north and come home its so nice to see..its like a giant welcome home banner. She will be greatly missed even if its transformed to iron colossus..
    R.I.P. old girl

• A.M.99

06/26/2014 at 8:50 pm

I do have one question, why does everyone keep adding “iron” to the front of the name of every coaster rumored to get an rmc refurbishment, they used it on 1 out of the three they have done, colossus reborn is a better name anyway

06/26/2014 at 9:03 pm

When RMC adds their unique steel iBox track to a wooden coaster, it’s called getting the “Iron Horse” treatment. I’m not sure of the origin of that nickname, but it certainly has stuck. Ever since Six Flags Fiesta Texas decided to use the “Iron” name for the reborn Rattler coaster, people have been sticking it in front of any coaster rumored to be getting that treatment. Hence Iron Colossus, Iron Cyclone, etc.

• A.M.99

06/28/2014 at 11:56 am

K, thanks

14. josh

06/25/2014 at 5:52 pm

This year is probably going to be one one the most highly anticipated park announcements ever.

15. James

06/26/2014 at 10:37 pm

Is that one of the moose from Mooseburger Lodge??

16. chad

06/27/2014 at 12:59 pm

It is so sad to see this ride go. But its crazy because i have never seen so many people against a roller coaster being shut down. Several people are upset that this ride is closing. I am for sure upset because that was my first “big” coaster, as well as my sisters, and all the memories will be gone now. I am hoping they just keep the same structure and just put in steel tracks.

17. Chad

06/30/2014 at 1:13 am

Have you seen the new six flags commercial? I think they secretly (at least tried) showed a doubled sided collusus conversion in their montage. Got as little excited hahaha … and ps^^ get your own name lol

18. Isaac

07/07/2014 at 1:40 pm

I think they should race both trains together to make it as a special ending for the ride. What do you think about that? I think that’s a special ending!

07/07/2014 at 1:42 pm

I like the idea, but the right side needs a lot of work before it can be used again. They’re not going to waste the time or money on it knowing it’s going away in a few weeks.

19. Jim D

07/13/2014 at 5:39 pm

I haven’t been to Magic Mountain in many years, but I spent much of my teenage years there and on that ride. I loved riding it in reverse during one of the first Haunted Mountain Halloweens. Great memories. Great to read the comments here and of everyone’s fondness for it. 🙂