Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers Opens At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 06/26/2014

On Wednesday, June 25th Six Flags Magic Mountain opened their 19th roller coaster, Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers. That gives them four kiddie coasters, more than any other park in the U.S., and nineteen in total, more than any other park in the world! To coincide with the opening of the new roller coaster, the park also debuted the newly refurbished kid’s area known as Bugs Bunny World.

Unfortunately, I was unable to make the opening ceremony, but the park was kind enough to supply some photos and video of the event. This is the ribbon cutting for the refreshed Bugs Bunny World:

SFMM_BBWOpening_17

Photo © Six Flags

This is the launching of the new roller coaster Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers:

SFMM_BBWOpening_18

Photo © Six Flags new roller coaster:

I think it’s safe to say that kids are loving this new roller coaster:

SGHRR_1

Photo © Six Flags

Of course, the coaster train is themed after an old hot rod:

SGHRR_3

Photo © Six Flags

Here is some video footage of the new ride from the event:

Since I wasn’t at the event, all of my photos are from the day before, when it was still closed to the public. The coaster itself is a Zamperla Family Gravity Coaster:

SFMM_BBWOpening_02

The station looks very much like a garage you’d see at a raceway:

SFMM_BBWOpening_16

There are six cars on the train, for a total of 12 riders per cycle:

SFMM_BBWOpening_03

The new coaster is visible, whimsical, and very inviting from the main midway:

SFMM_BBWOpening_05

The park did a nice job on the landscaping around the new coaster as well:

SFMM_BBWOpening_04

A nearby food location has been renamed as the Snack Shack:

SFMM_BBWOpening_06

The area behind the Snack Shack used to be covered, hard to get to, and I think fairly unused. The area is much more open and inviting now. I just hope they added some shaded tables before the opening:

SFMM_BBWOpening_15

The Carrot Club Theater has finally received it’s new sign:

SFMM_BBWOpening_09

After sitting unused for a couple of seasons, it’ll be nice to see some shows in here again:

SFMM_BBWOpening_10

The Merrie Melodies Carousel is whole again and looks really good:

SFMM_BBWOpening_12

Elmer Fudd’s Weather Balloons got a new sign:

SFMM_BBWOpening_11

The Taz’s Lumber Co. sign has been replaced by a Taz’s Trucking Co. sign:

SFMM_BBWOpening_14

All of the façades in the area have been fixed up and gotten fresh coats of paint:

SFMM_BBWOpening_07

The Loony Tunes characters have been refreshed and returned to the water fountain:

SFMM_BBWOpening_08

Overall, the area looks really nice and kids should love playing in there for years to come. I can’t wait to get over to the park and see the new coaster in person (and maybe ride it?). 😉

06/26/2014 at 4:53 pm

Looks great! They did a nice job on this. Does Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers accommodate grownups? I think it’s a good idea for kids to be able to ride something like that with Mom or Dad if they want to.

2. tanner

06/26/2014 at 5:50 pm

Wow. Bugs Bunny World looks absolutely fantastic! I really appreciate that the park is finally trying to clean up its atmosphere and amenities. The carrot club theatre looks fantastic! Kudos to SFMM!

3. Tim

06/26/2014 at 5:51 pm

It looks like the same track layout as Road Runner Express, what’s different from this ride than RRE? Now kids have two coasters for their age to ride in the new Bugs Bunny World.

06/26/2014 at 8:56 pm

This is actually two steps below RRE. This coaster is 13′ tall, Canyon Blaster is 16′ tall, and RRE is 28′ tall. They’re designed to naturally progress kids up to bigger coasters as they get more comfortable with them.

4. Ralph Frem

06/26/2014 at 5:54 pm

When do they announce the new attractions for 2015????? Anyone know 😀

06/26/2014 at 8:57 pm

It’s either August 26th or 28th. I can’t remember the exact date.

• Henry

06/27/2014 at 4:56 am

I think it’s August 26th. Six Flags normally announces new attractions on the last Tuesday in August. August 26th is the last Tuesday that month.

5. Domingo

06/26/2014 at 8:13 pm

I’m so happy for the bugs bunny world area and the children now they have a variety of rides to go on just for them

6. tacalert

06/27/2014 at 12:10 pm

Hold on. MM actually painted something that needed it?

7. Casey

07/05/2014 at 11:55 pm

They only let you ride the coaster if you’re accompanying a child 48” or under. I was so mad! 🙂

07/06/2014 at 12:12 am

Don’t get mad. It’s a kiddie coaster. It happens. I’ve never been able to ride Taxi Jam at California’s Great America for the same reason. Fortunately, they let us adults ride it during private ERT at the annual ACE CoasterCon held there recently. Therefore, never say never! (I’m still waiting to get the Magic Flyer credit)

8. Lulis

07/06/2014 at 9:48 am

I’d still like to see more rides and attractions for kids. I have children ages 1,2, 9,11 & 17. Although my older 3 can go venture together on the big coasters, my little ones are limited to 6 rides.the 3 coasters they can ride on-I was told they can go alone (what 1&2 year old would?). They want mommy or daddy. But we were not allowed to ride with them.