Colossus Closes After A 36-year Run

By on 08/17/2014

Today is a very sad day for many people, as the Colossus roller coaster gives its final ride after an impressive 36-year run at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Yesterday, August 16th, was the last day to ride it for most folks. However, season pass holders were given exclusive access to it all day today, August 17th. Once the park closes tonight at 8:00 pm, the employees will have a couple of hours to ride it and then that’s it. It’ll be closed forever…at least as far as we know.

In addition to yesterday being the final day for non-season pass holders to ride Colossus, it was also National Roller Coaster Day, so the park made sure they made it a party atmosphere. There were balloons, music, prizes, and I even ran into SFMM Park President, Bonnie Rabjohn:

SFMM_ColossusClosing_4

I brought my son Aaron with me for my final ride with him. He’s been on a lot of coasters with me, so it was fitting that we were able to ride it together one last time:

SFMM_ColossusClosing_1

I think we were on the second train of the day. By the time we got off and walked back around to the entrance, the line was already out the station and spilling down the side of the hill into a temporary queue that had been setup:

SFMM_ColossusClosing_2

The entertainment throughout the day was provided by Ricky Rocks, who you probably know best (should know!) from his regular drum performance during Full Throttle Nights:

SFMM_ColossusClosing_3

Unfortunately, I had a date with the cable guy back home and couldn’t stay for the rest of the festivities throughout the day.

My wife doesn’t ride roller coasters nearly as often as I do, but she still enjoys them from time to time. Knowing that Colossus was going away forever, she wanted one last ride as well. We returned to the park this morning to take advantage of the special ERT on Colossus for season pass holders. By the time we arrived at Colossus, there were only six people in front of us waiting for it to open:

SFMM_ColossusClosing_5

We could’ve been on the very first train, but she wanted to ride in the front, so we had to wait until the third train. It was worth the wait to get in a final ride with her in the front row:

SFMM_ColossusClosing_6

I returned to the park around 7:00 pm to join my friend Gregg from Park Journey. We were doing a meet-up with some of our regular readers and hoping to get on the very last Colossus train ever. We had several people show up to join us, so we took a group photo. Gregg is in the very back, with his head between the two tracks:

SFMM_ColossusClosing2_01

A couple more people showed up and we moved the group to the entrance of Colossus. We waited patiently for closing time so we could be the last group in:

SFMM_ColossusClosing2_02

I won’t lie. It felt a little weird knowing I was the very last regular park guest to pass through the Colossus entrance to get on the ride. They put up a barricade behind me:

SFMM_ColossusClosing2_03

As we got closer to the air gates, there was only one group left in front of us:

SFMM_ColossusClosing2_04

This is the very last 24 riders riders (well, 23 + me) to ever ride Colossus:

SFMM_ColossusClosing2_05

We are all on-board and anxious to be dispatched on Colossus for the very last time:

SFMM_ColossusClosing2_06

I was very disappointed that Gregg wasn’t sitting up front with me. After all, it was his idea to put this event together. However, even though it was the very last ride, we were assigned rows.

Everyone was very excited as we came back into the station:

SFMM_ColossusClosing2_07

They decided to let us take one more lap, so I thought a quick group  selfie was in order:

SFMM_ColossusClosing2_08

One more lap and we were done. We’ll never sit in this train again, at least not on a track:

SFMM_ColossusClosing2_09

It was a little bittersweet as we walked away from Colossus, leaving it behind us in the night, knowing that we’ll never get to ride it again:

SFMM_ColossusClosing2_10

Six Flags will be making their big annual ride announcement for all their parks on August 28th. That’s when we’ll be finding out what the plans are for Colossus, or at least the site it sits on. My prediction is that they are going to completely raze it and replace it with another wooden coaster, but something bigger, faster, and much more exciting. I’m hoping for a custom RMC that puts Goliath at Six Flags Great America to shame. What do you think they’re going to do with it?

1. tatsuuuUUU

08/17/2014 at 7:22 pm

first to comment! check the website on aug 28. the new 2015 ride will be announced!

2. chilton Schilling

08/17/2014 at 7:40 pm

Got on the second to last train of the night so it was cool to retire the black train for the public. They decided to let us stay on and ride it again. I don’t know if it was the adrenaline but it seemed like the smoothest fastest ride I’ve ever been on colossus. Those turns always seemed so slow except last night.

3. tatsuuuUUU

08/17/2014 at 8:18 pm

i noticed you still have colossus under “current attractions” in the ride profiles. it should be under “former attractions

4. josh.f

08/17/2014 at 8:36 pm

Que rumors for colossus’ replacement…I have alot of faith in Six Flags right now, maybe for the first time in a while actually….whatever replaces Colossus as we knew her is going to be a show stopper………better be!…11 days and counting

5. Josh Godoy

08/17/2014 at 8:55 pm

Kurt I went to the park yesterday with a friend to get a last ride on colossus and I couldn’t help to laugh at the protesters saying don’t touch the wood. They actually made shirts, signs and pins like who has the time for all that when they Deep down knew they was nothing they could do about it. I understand they made memories on the ride but not all things last forever. It’s time a new generation of people make memories in what ever it’s being replaced with. After all those people probably wouldn’t even go on colossus when it was still open. Colossus was around for 36 years and it was about time it left and life will go on without it. Many coasters came and left during colossus 36 long year it’s about time they got rid of it. Memories will live on in pictures and in people and those memories will still be there weather colossus is there or not.

6. CoasterGuru14

08/17/2014 at 9:38 pm

I know, that no matter WHAT happens to Colossus, this will never happen. Just a crazy idea I had, could Six Flags and RMC team up one day and create and Inveted wooden or hybrid coaster?!?! That would be SOOO awesome

7. domingo

08/17/2014 at 11:16 pm

I have two things on the future of colossus…. either the park will remove it and add an modern wooden coaster to its area and have some connection to colossus. OR! They will remove the tracks of colossus and put some new nice, beautiful,and sexy RMC steel I-box track to it with maybe repainting the wood a nice clean white to it. This would put goliath at SfGAm and SFMM to shame! It would rule the skyline and the parking lot it put it’s two neighbors to shame (goliath,Scream)i think colossus will have a bright future ahead of it but kurt I promise this won’t be your last time riding colossus

8. steve austin

08/17/2014 at 11:36 pm

i would love to see a 200+’ first hill with a straight(non swooping) drop to it.

• Justin G

08/18/2014 at 12:52 am

I’d love to see a 200-300 wooden hybrid take the place of Colossus. They could pay homage to Colossus by putting the first drop at the same angle Colossus’ was. (I’m talking about the little turn you do right before the first drop).

08/18/2014 at 3:02 pm

I’ve got my fingers crossed that Colossus gets Rocky Mountain Construction steel I-Box re-track. Since the transformation would likely be along the lines of Texas Giant transformation… I picture it reopening in 2016, and being rechristen as “Iron Colossus” or something similar.

• Michael Mountain

08/18/2014 at 4:55 pm

Originally I thought that too. I personally new Texas giant just took so long because it was their first I box. It seems they are really rushing to get this done for the 2015 season. Look at how far they’ve already gotten on cyclone at six flags New England.

• CoasterGuru14

08/19/2014 at 11:08 pm

I completely agree, it will only take long if delays make it so. I’m not saying it’ll happen in a day, but just last year they doubled their manufacturing facility and workshop space, so they have beyond the capability to get this done. I think the Cyclone started so early to avoid the Goliath disaster of 2014 where an exceptionally bad winter delayed it over 1 month. Hopefully they won’t have to worry about it in sunny California

10. tacalert

08/18/2014 at 5:12 pm

On Sunday I like the fact the employees didn’t “seen” to mind taking photos of people in the cars before dispatch. I think all the employees working the ride weren’t even alive when it opened.

11. benjamin

08/18/2014 at 5:25 pm

I seriously dought they will actually remove the ride. Here are my thoughts
    The ride is due for another paint job.
    The park had bought 4 morgan trains in 1988 and 2 more in 1991 so the life span on the trains has come to an end. Thats the main reason they only run one side.
    The psyclone trains fit on the track but are not a perfect fit. When the park would run the psyclone trains on the side of track that was scheduled for replacement that winter.
    It’s 10 times easier to get a permit to modify an exitsting structure then it is to get approval for a new one.
    One thing that I have heard is that they were planning to make the ride a single track coaster BUT still utilize both lifts which would allow one part of the ride to be modified making the run time on the ride the longest in the world.

Guess we will find out in 10 days how close I am

12. Scott C.

08/18/2014 at 8:32 pm

I really wanted to go hang with you guys. My daughter and I went on Friday for Honda early entrance, and I just could not get a “hall pass” to go again one more time over the weekend.
    You and Gregg did a great job narrating the evening’s events.
    Much thanks. Will catch you guys another time.

08/18/2014 at 8:44 pm

Yesterday was fun and I’m glad I could make it and see everyone who came out to the park.

14. Marc

08/19/2014 at 3:54 am

Hey Kurt, love the site.

My wife and I are visiting SFMM ( on 13th September as part of our honeymoon from the UK for possibly our one and only time). We’re gutted about missing out on Colussus by a few weeks!

I was just wondering if you (or any other commenters) could advise on how busy the park is likely to be on a Saturday in mid-September and whether I should pre-order a gold flash pass for the two of us (although the website is an absolute nightmare)?

As it’s a one shot deal and we are big coaster fans I don’t want the day to be a blow out!

• Ryan O'Neill

08/19/2014 at 11:18 am

As most kids in Santa Clarita are back in school this week (you can tell just by the traffic), the crowds will probably be smaller. However, the park will only be open on weekends, so Saturday might still be a busy day.
      Two gold flash passes will run you about 140 USD. If your schedule allows, it would be cheaper and more effective to spend 2 days at the park and forget about the flash passes.

• CoasterGuru14

08/19/2014 at 11:10 pm

Also being that that is the beginning of the off season, some ride might be down for their yearly TLC

• Marc

08/21/2014 at 7:14 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated. Guess we’ll just have to see how it goes. We are off to Anaheim on the Sunday so will have to stick to Saturday, and suffer the $140 if it comes to that. Could well be our one and only visit so don’t want to waste it…

Just have to hope most of the rides are active still that weekend now!

08/21/2014 at 8:56 am

It’s always hard to say. The summer crowds should mostly be gone and most kids will be back in school. However, the park will be on their weekends-only schedule, so that’s when everyone goes. There are also events occasionally held at the park, like cheerleader competitions, that may not have been promoted much but still bring large crowds in.

My recommendation is to wait until you get to the park and gauge the situation first hand. If it appears to be crowded, grab a Flash Pass at that time. It’s highly unlikely that they’re going to sell out of them on a Saturday in mid-September. If money is not a concern, or you’re concerned about them selling out, then by all means just pre-order one. Nobody has ever been disappointed by using a FP. As a once in a lifetime trip, it’ll just be one less worry and you’ll have a fabulous time!

I hope that helps! 🙂