UA-20143982-1 Six Flags Announces 2015 Capital Investments - The Coaster Guy

Six Flags Announces 2015 Capital Investments

By on 08/28/2014

In what has become every roller coaster enthusiast’s “Christmas in August,” Six Flags Entertainment Corp. has just released their line-up of what they are investing in for each of their parks for the 2015 season. Below is the breakdown by park.

Here is the official 2015 announcement from CEO Jin Reid-Anderson:

Six Flags Magic Mountain

In what has been the most highly anticipated announcement for me personally, Magic Mountain is putting a “twist” on a perennial fan favorite. After 36 years, Colossus is getting an extreme makeover and will become Twisted Colossus. Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC) has already started work on transforming Colossus into the world’s longest hybrid coaster and the world’s first dueling hybrid coaster. It will feature close to a mile of track, the world’s steepest drop for a dueling coaster at 80°, the world’s tallest high-five fly-by, and interlocking upside-down 360° loops. After cycling through the track once, you head up the second side of the lift hill instead of returning to the station. At the same time, if they time it right, a second train should join you on the first lift hill, and the race is on! Even though it’s one continuous track, two trains can run side by side. The layout on the second cycle is different than the first cycle, so it’s almost like getting two rides for the price of one.

Six Flags New England

Another longtime Six Flags woodie is also getting the RMC hybrid treatment, only this time it’s on the other coast. Six Flags New England is transforming Cyclone into Wicked Cyclone. It features a 78° vertical drop, two zero-G rolls, the world’s only double-reverse banking hill, and a 200° upside-down hanging stall.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas

After one of the best teaser campaigns that Six Flags has ever done, Six Flags Fiesta Texas is getting a new superhero. Batman: The Ride. However, this is unlike any Batman coaster the park has ever seen. It looks like a cross between An Intamin ZacSpin coaster and an S&S 4D coaster, billed as the world’s first 4th dimension “Free Fly” coaster. It’s a two-dimensional track with rotating seats, with two beyond-90° free falls and six inversions.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Six Flags has purchased four Larson Fire Ball compact roller coasters. They feature a 70′ loop in which a single coaster train rocks back and forth and eventually hangs upside-down and loops through the track. Many consider these to be nothing more than a carnival ride and are scratching their head as to why Six Flags would put these in their parks. Personally, I kind of like these rides, as they remind me of a looping starship ride, but I wouldn’t classify it as a roller coaster.

One of them is being installed at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. It’s being described as a 7-story “wheel of steel” and will be called Dare Devil Chaos Coaster.

Six Flags Great Adventure

Six Flags Great Adventure is getting another Larson Fire Ball, which will be called Looping Dragon Coaster.

Six Flags Over Georgia

The Six Flags Over Georgia Fire Ball will be called The Joker’s Chaos Coaster. It also appears that they are getting a Tilt-a-whirl called Harley Quinn’s Spinsanity.

Six Flags America

Lastly, the Six Flags America Fire Ball is embracing the manufacture’s name for the ride and will call theirs Bourbon Street Fireball.

Six Flags Over Texas

People have been wanting Six Flags to invest in more dark rides in their parks for awhile now, and Six Flags Over Texas is doing just that. Tying in with the DC Comics theme that already exists in just about every Six Flags park, Justice League: Battle for Metropolis is an interactive dark ride in which the riders join forces with their favorite superheroes in an epic fight to defeat two of the most feared villains in the DC universe; The Joker and Lex Luthor.

Featuring state-of-the-art animatronics, 3D video technology, and numerous special effects, including fog screen projection, the ride incorporates huge 3D screens, custom vehicles equipped with special laser optical blasters, a dramatic custom musical score, numerous animatronic citizens whom riders must fight to save from the alien spores’ evil mind control, and culminates in a dramatic struggle between good and evil, in which riders play a decisive role. The ride is from Sally Corp., considered by many to be one of the best providers of dark rides out there.

Six Flags St. Louis

Six Flags St. Louis is also getting a Justice League: Battle for Metropolis, replacing Scooby Doo: Ghostblasters.

Six Flags Great America

No new rides for Six Flags Great America this year, however they are celebrating their history with “40 Seasons of Thrills” celebration, including the return of three original children’s rides.

Six Flags Mexico

A favorite among swing ride fans, Six Flags Mexico is getting a Sky Screamer. It’ll be 100′ in diameter and 24 stories tall, making it the tallest swing ride in all of Latin America.

Six Flags La Ronde

Is getting a season long haunted experience called Maison Rouge: Labyrinth of Terror. It’s described as a “funhouse of fears” with two possible pathways to experience it.

Six Flags Great Escape

Six Flags Great Escape is getting a “pirates playland of water fun,” a new water play area called Buccaneer Beach.

Six Flags White Water Atlanta

The Six Flags White Water water park in Atlanta is getting their version of the Bonzai Pipeline calle Dive Bomber.

Which announcement are you most excited for and what can’t you wait to ride??

1. Freddie

08/28/2014 at 5:23 am

As always, great report. Thanks. What do you think about the 360 state fair type ride they seem to be going with this year in multiple parks?

• CoasterGuru14

08/28/2014 at 9:19 pm

I think they are great additions to those park. Six Flags tends to have a low flat ride count at their parks, so any they can get

2. Jorge

08/28/2014 at 6:26 am

I am so excited for twisted colossus it looks amazing. I womder if they’re going to change the way the line que is set up what do you think?Also I wonder if they’ll change the scenery? I guess well just have to wait and see right.

3. josh.f

08/28/2014 at 6:35 am

Looks pretty awesome…pretty much exactly what I predicted

4. josh.f

08/28/2014 at 6:39 am

Poor discovery kindom…3 back n forth launch coasters..lol

• Nathan

08/28/2014 at 6:47 am

I just realized that haha

5. Ezra

08/28/2014 at 6:47 am

I am very excited to see Twisted Colossus fold out. As I live about 75 miles away, it’s not the closest, but I still consider it my home park. It was my first coaster over 100ft tall and I instantly loved it. When I first rode it, I believe it was on the side not run anymore, aka the right side. I love seeing my baby getting a needed makeover. I can’t wait for it to open 🙂

6. Nathan

08/28/2014 at 6:51 am

And I’m really looking forward to your construction updates. Your updates for full throttle were the reason I started visiting your page regularly.

• Dane

08/28/2014 at 10:37 pm

Same here

7. Ryan

08/28/2014 at 6:54 am

Twisted Colossus looks stunning! Looks like SFMM will finally have a coaster that is in the top 10 lists.

• Dane

08/28/2014 at 10:38 pm

and X2 isn’t?

8. Candice

08/28/2014 at 7:07 am

OH MY GOSH! Twisted Colossus looks AMAZING! I CANNOT wait to ride it!! I love that they’re bringing back the dueling tracks, and I think it’s going to make this coaster 100x times better!!

9. Ryan O'Neill

08/28/2014 at 7:40 am

Twisted Colossus turned out to be even better than most people expected! I think the green and blue tracks will look breathtaking against the white wood. It’s going to be one of the most beautiful coasters.

10. M. Smith

08/28/2014 at 7:51 am

Wow, neat! Will Goliath and/or possibly Scream be affected during construction?

• Francisco O

08/30/2014 at 9:39 am

I imagine that scream will be affected, they’re retheaming the whole area around colossus, I can see Goliath closing temporarily only cause the the two rides come in contact with eachother.

• tacalert

09/01/2014 at 10:14 am

Wow, I never knew they touched each other.

11. CoDAce

08/28/2014 at 8:00 am

I understand the whole Super Loop stuff. They’re small rides that pack a thrill, meaning that you don’t need to take up much space, and it seems they’ve stopped cloning rides like with Batman the Ride (B&M Invert version)and Superman Ultimate Flight (B&M Flyer). Now I’m not so worried about X-Flight clones popping up all over the place.
    Wicked Cyclone is easily my favorite ride of the bunch, has a fairly creative name, (more creative than Iron Rattler, Corkscrew, Hades/Mistake 360 among others). The layout itself is amazing and somehow reminds me a bit of a Prior & Church design on steroids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5cJDnbk7cg&list=UUmiQ9GAP302HNi-NVv2Gk3g NL2 recreation of the Revere Beach Cyclone for reference). This looks to be my favorite looking Rocky Mountain creation to date (Wildfire may upset that though). Plus they earn bonus points for the double-dip, a somewhat common element on classic wooden coasters (P&C, Harry Traver and John Miller are IMHO some of the best coaster designers to this day), and since I’ve become quite the fan of roller coasters from the early days (1920’s-1950’s) that’s a nice touch.
    Batman the Ride looks good, but the name, WHY, you could have brought Batman Knight Flight back. And Where there’s only four coasters with the Ultimate Flight name there are EIGHT coasters with Batman the Ride, why didn’t the re-theme Goliath to Batman the Ride instead, seems like that would have made more sense to me. But I’m not Six Flags, and they know better than the dump of a park that I have to call my home park (cough..Mount Olympus) does. Let’s just hope that this one doesn’t suffer from extreme reliability problems like X did.
    Twisted Colossus on the other hand looks amazing but I personally feel that they could have done better. They cut out a MASSIVE chunk of the ride for the second loop when they could have done one of two things. 1); kept both rides separate and run them that way, or 2); make it a Mobius Loop coaster like Grand National or Racer at Kennywood, this would make it one ride and you could still do the same things and more. That’s a lot of torn up structure for no real reason and a waste of potential in my book. Though the ‘Inverted High-Fives’ as I’ll call them for simplicity, and as before the double-dip is bonus points in my book.
    Overall I’m good with the additions, no new clones, no X-Flight copies (that was my biggest concern with the ride, it seemed perfect for that).
    Sorry if this was long-winded, I just had a lot to say

12. Tanner

08/28/2014 at 8:18 am

Isn’t it crazy to think they almost shut down SFMM a couple years ago. Now it is Six Flags’ favorite. Twisted Colossus looks awesome! Long live SFMM!

13. Tim

08/28/2014 at 8:23 am

At first, I was very confused by the video and description of Twisted Colossus because I was still imagining two stations like Classic Colossus. I thought we would be choosing to ride either the green track or the blue track. Then I realized that the blue track becomes the green track so that riders will get both experiences in one ride. This should be very cool. Though, I can’t imagine how ride operators will be able to time the launch of each train so that it gets to the blue lift hill the same time the previous train is coming into the green lift hill. Seems like that will be incredibly difficult.

• CoasterGuru14

08/28/2014 at 9:27 am

They have timers

• Tim

08/28/2014 at 11:20 am

Yes, but even with timers there are often problems in loading that can cause delays, and I wonder what they will do in those scenarios. Regardless, the fact that riders essentially get to take two laps in one ride is awesome. I don’t know of another coaster that has ever done this. Getting to go over the first drop two times in one ride will be great!

08/28/2014 at 12:27 pm

The two laps thing isn’t new. Montaña Rusa in Mexico City was built in 1964 and it does that. They’re called Möbius coasters.

• Tim

08/28/2014 at 1:23 pm

Cool, Kurt. Thanks for the info. I had not heard of these coasters, and from what I can see, Twisted Colossus is going to take the Mobius coaster to a whole new level in terms of size and intensity.

I’m just really glad that Six Flags has bought in to what RMC is selling because the I-box track hybrids that they have created are spectacular. I rode Iron Rattler last year and was blown away with the smooth ride and amazing amount of airtime the ride offers. I do not believe Twisted Colossus will disappoint, even though I wish they could have made it a little taller.

• Peter M

08/28/2014 at 10:49 am

I’m sure they’ll install some sort of synchronization timer (like coasterguru mentioned) that the ride operators will be trained to utilize. In regards to how often this will be taken advantage of, we can only guess. Im assuming an on and off basis in the long run.

08/28/2014 at 11:04 am

I get that, but what I’m concerned about is if the second train will be ready to launch in time. The ride ops still need to have the train loaded and ready to go by a certain time or they’ll miss the window.

• Alex

08/28/2014 at 2:21 pm

Whatever differnece there is, they can always speed up/slow down the lifthill. The technoligy is there and I am pretty sure RMC came up with a simple way that the trains will be racing

• Scott C.

08/28/2014 at 3:51 pm

I may be in a minority here…but I couldn’t care less if they race. I know the whole high five element is lost, but the thrill of the bank is not.
            This looks like an amazing ride, regardless if it is racing or not. I rode the racer at Hershey, and did not care that we were racing. It was an amazing coaster.
            IMHO of course.

• Peter M

08/28/2014 at 8:20 pm

And a legitimate concern it is, since the operators cannot sacrifice safety protocol for the sake of synching up the trains. It will be cool if they decide to install a block break at the top of the hill in case the other train is a little late.

• Jim

08/28/2014 at 8:59 pm

I think it could work by having 2 trains loading at the same time and having one, loaded and ready to go, sat on the blocks waiting for the train to go onto the second lap.
          If you have seen the way Maverick (@cedar point) loads 2 trains, launches 1 while the other waits for its turn. That way there is always a full car waiting to dispatch.

14. LikeGreenLantern

08/28/2014 at 9:22 am

OH MY GOD!I cried when I First watched the video on twisted colossous. My first reaction was the color, then what I thought was a twist and shout on goliath (the new one), and I started to think this is like dueling dragons by gravity group, the way it twisted with the other track and the high five. It’s a lot like the smiler in the way it’s dueling, but at the same time one circuit. Twisted colossous is innovation at its best. Good Job six flags!

15. Rich

08/28/2014 at 9:24 am

Just read on your Facebook page that it’s one long track and not two separate racers. Sounds interesting and I can’t wait for it to open!!

16. JJJJ

08/28/2014 at 10:16 am

Twisted Colossus looks amazing.

That being said, aside from media day, I doubt the two cars will ever race together as shown in the video.

1) It’s six flags ride ops
    2) Safety. The Dueling Dragons at Universal stopped racing together because of safety. I cant see one car being directly above the other one lasting long before someone drops something and hits another rider.

I REALLY hope they keep the high ride capacity. I believe Colossus was built to have 6 trains at any given time right? They need to preserve that.

08/28/2014 at 10:21 am

Colossus originally opened with the ability to run ten trains simultaneously, five per side. I think max capacity was 2,600 riders/hr.

• JJJJ

08/28/2014 at 2:13 pm

Mother of God….

• Ryan O'Neill

08/28/2014 at 12:03 pm

The way I see it, there’s no way for them to AVOID racing both sides. If the blue side takes about the same amount of time as the station dispatch interval (usually around 1:30 minutes), then the trains will naturally line up.

The video also shows a two-part brake run at 2:12. As the green track reaches the brake run, there’s another train waiting on the second part of the brake run. If simulations are anything to go by (which they often aren’t), it could run at least 4 if not 5 trains.

08/28/2014 at 8:52 pm

As for Twisted Colossus being able to operate 4 or 5 trains at a time… I could see the newly made-over coaster with dual loading stations. I believe Tatsu has a dual loading station, where the B&M flying coaster can operate up to 3 trains at a time… Superman: Ultimate Flight (B&M flying coaster) at SFOG has a dual loading station too. I believe Kingda Ka (Intamin strata-coaster) at SFGADV also has a dual loading station.

Setback with those dual loading station coasters being that riders have to leave loose articles with non-rider or rent a locker near ride entrance, since leaving articles on loading station dock is no longer allowed. Whether or not Twisted Colossus will have dual loading stations would remain to be seen.

17. JJJJ

08/28/2014 at 10:20 am

Also Im 100% in favor of them adding the looping state fair clone ride. Theres nothing wrong with giving people more options. If you dont want to ride it, thats 100 people not in line somewhere else at any given moment. It’s cheap, it adds a ride, and is a space saver.

18. Peter M

08/28/2014 at 10:40 am

This is indeed a Collosal evolution! I’m kind of questioning the blue and green paint job on the tracks, since It’s giving me a little déjà vu. HA. But who knows, it may look fantastic in person

08/28/2014 at 11:03 am

I’m just glad it’s something other than red or orange.

• Peter M

08/28/2014 at 8:26 pm

Hahaha. Good point

19. Joe E

08/28/2014 at 4:04 pm

Do we know yet if Twisted Colossus will have overhead restraints, or just lap bars? Looks like just lap bars in the promo photo and video but not sure if that’s just for the “look” in the promos. Lap bars only would be awesome and keep the feel of the original. But not sure how they would manage that with the inversions?

08/28/2014 at 8:51 pm

I believe it’s going to be lap bars with seat belts.

20. Alyssa Teles

08/28/2014 at 4:56 pm

Kurt. When do you think this new ride will be open next year???

• Justin G

08/28/2014 at 9:58 pm

Judging by how long it took Full Throttle to be built I’m going to guess June 13. Twisted Colossus has a much more complex support system than Full Throttle and it took Magic Mountain 10 months to open Full Throttle, not to mention all the things added after FT opened (ride sign, station cover). Considering that Twisted Colossus is bringing along a new themed area, Magic Mountain will need to go all out on construction which is something they haven’t done in a while.

21. josh.f

08/28/2014 at 7:06 pm

Memorial Day weekend

22. Michael

08/28/2014 at 10:34 pm

I am somewhat displeased with twisted colossus and think that new england is getting a better deal. I think that there was so much awesomenss they could have put in but honestly, I don’t care about the hand thing and I do think they could have done better, perhaps it was the software they were using to show it but, it just did not look that good/impressing. I will be hoping that the colors aren’t going to be bright, but dark and nice. Anyway I am looking forward to all the updates on the construction of it.

• Scott C

08/28/2014 at 10:55 pm

You are in the minority on this. This ride looks awesome.

• Peter M

08/29/2014 at 11:59 am

They are trying to preserve the nostalgic layout of the coaster while giving it a modern twist. By doing so, they allow themselves to utilize parts of colossus that have already been constructed. This design will save them money and time, while pleasing both sides of the public. Those yearning for the preservation of a classic woodie and those who are craving something a little bigger and bolder should both be satisfied in the end.

23. Michael

08/28/2014 at 10:36 pm

Also, I have talked to many people and everyone hates the name, do you think they will change it if enough people show anti-support for the name?

24. Dane

08/28/2014 at 10:36 pm

I like how they put the same ride in at 4 different parks and just renamed them.

25. Chris

08/29/2014 at 10:32 am

I agree with both camps on TC, on one hand, it does look different and awesome. But on the other, I agree that they could have done more. To me, in comparison to other RMC coasters, this is somewhat tame and not up to SFMM extreme level in my personal opinion. Although, I still can’t wait to ride it!!

26. Martin K

08/29/2014 at 11:00 am

Great Name, Great Layout and KEEPING it WHITE. Would not change a thing. Anyone who is disappointed needs their head examined. Cannot wait for your updates Coaster Guy. Don’t even have to enter the park on this one. Rode the original Colossus on opening day in 1978 and will ride this as well on opening day.

• Peter M

08/29/2014 at 12:21 pm

Does anyone know if all of the old supports will be leveled for this construction?

08/29/2014 at 12:25 pm

They will not. Most of the structure will remain exactly as it is today, with the new parts being added on top. That’s the beauty of doing a conversion like this.

• Peter M

08/29/2014 at 12:55 pm

That’s what I suspected!

27. chilton schilling

08/29/2014 at 2:29 pm

Absolutely love it. Love how they kept the same type of drop with the slight turn to the right. With a duel loading station, timing should not be an issue but i think the track is long enough to get one train fully loaded before the two on the track make it back to the station/lift hill. With a duel station, 4 trains can be running. As one is entering the station, the side it goes to just got dispatched as the other side should be loading. When the two trains come along the one loading should be done and the other train should be loading by then. This would be able to keep the racing going on time and less of a rush to get the other train out which would be less stress on the dispactchers. Not to mention less wait times in line.

Now my question. Would.you guys rather ride the first or second train? First one only races once while the second races twice.

28. chilton schilling

08/29/2014 at 2:31 pm

Correct me if im wrong but the first train of the day will either race a ghost train or nothing at all

08/29/2014 at 2:59 pm

All trains cycle twice. The first train of the day will complete the first cycle by itself, but will meet up with another train when it gets back to the lift hill for the second cycle.

29. daniel

08/29/2014 at 7:11 pm

hey mr coaster guy do you coverage of knotts berry farm, universal studios, and disneyland??

08/30/2014 at 3:29 pm

I’m mainly SFMM, but I am starting to branch out and cover other parks with coasters as well. Look for my live coverage of the Labor Day weekend events at Knott’s tomorrow. I was thinking about starting to cover USH next year, just because they’re so close, but they only have one coaster. Disneyland is too far, too expensive, and already has too much coverage for me to try and pick up.

• Daniel

09/01/2014 at 4:09 pm

Ok thanks

30. Bo

08/29/2014 at 11:45 pm

Can’t wait to read your construction updates, Kurt!!! 🙂

31. Johnny

08/30/2014 at 12:37 pm

Two things I feel I need to point out.

1) Unless there is some MAJOR issue sending out a train or the park reduces the amount or trains, racing should never be an issue. The ops have plenty of time to load a train, from the the pre lift, to the lift hill and through most of the first half of the course to have the next train ready to send. SFMM ops maybe slow at times, but even they are not that slow. And the original Colossus ops have always been among the most consistent in the park.

2) Safety. Not the issue people are thinking. Look closely at the video. There is never TRULY a point where both trains are directly across from each other or under each other, not even during the high five element. The Blue side leads, and then the green. So that “matching” effect is about a split second. It looks like RMC took safety into account when designing the ride. I’d be more worried walking towards Superman while a Full Throttle train passes over head.

3) Finally, the cutting down of track by RMC to create this new ride. Let’s not forget, the original Colossus is closed forever, the park WARNED you. This is a BRAND NEW ride with nods to the original. At no time was RMC obliged to keep the original track length, which included boring, LONG turns and a pace killing mid-course. What they have done here is amazing.

32. Matthew

08/30/2014 at 3:14 pm

Does anyone know if they have already started tearing up the track of colossus

08/30/2014 at 3:24 pm

They have indeed!

• Jim

08/30/2014 at 4:43 pm

And will you be doing any construction updates Kurt?

08/30/2014 at 10:22 pm

Absolutely! I hope to have the first one out this week.

• Randie

09/02/2014 at 9:43 am

Interesting, I must have not looked hard enough on Sunday. Either way, cant wait for your construction updates Kurt!
        I’ll be heading over there periodically as well just to see it personally. Man, im excited!

33. Matthew

08/30/2014 at 3:33 pm

cool thanks

34. Ralph Bugarin

09/06/2014 at 1:20 am

Absolutely love the new Twisted Colossus!!!! It truly looks like it’s going to be an amazing ride. Kurt, will the 1st drop be any steeper though?? I really hope so because it does look steeper on the video. Anyway, I can’t wait to see your updates on this ride. =)