Colossus: A Look Back At The First 36 Years

By on 09/02/2014

The Colossus roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain may have recently closed, but that was only the first chapter of its life. It’s currently preparing for it’s next chapter, that will hopefully carry it forward for many more years to come.

With such a rich and storied history, my friend Nicholas Laschkewitsch, from the American Coaster Enthusiasts Northern California Region, thought it would be a good idea to capture and tell Colossus’ story before it was lost to the sands of time. I was fortunate enough to be asked along for the ride. Let’s take a look back at Colossus’ first 36 years and where it’s heading next.

1. Henry

09/02/2014 at 12:12 pm

Nice video Kurt!

09/02/2014 at 12:33 pm

Please don’t think this was all me. My friend Nicholas Laschkewitsch, from ACE NorCal, came up with the idea and did all of the heavy lifting. He deserves the majority of the credit.

2. Francoise Swishy Salavarrieta

09/02/2014 at 12:50 pm

This was awesome.
    Thank you guys for making possible for my son & I to be on the last public train. It really was a heartfelt moment for me as I remembered riding with my mom when it was new.
    It would be so cool if the last riders could be the first on Twisted Colossus. 😉

3. James

09/02/2014 at 1:56 pm

That was a wonderful video.

I thoroughly enjoyed that. You captured the history and mood of this ride and followed with the future in such an eloquent manor.
    I appreciate the hard work that you both put into this and glad that you gave it the tribute it deserved in an articulate way. It was very refreshing.

I enthusiastically look forward to your continued coverage of this park and any construction updates that I am sure we all eagerly await.

Thanks again for you hard work

James

4. josh.f

09/02/2014 at 2:21 pm

Wow! Great job on the video. HEY?!?!, will Colossus also hold another record no one has mentioned? The coaster that was re profiled 3X

5. Corey

09/02/2014 at 4:47 pm

Thank you Kurt and ACE this was an amazing video of Colossus’s history.

6. Josh Godoy

09/02/2014 at 5:03 pm

Jury I agree on what you said towards the end. Like I’ve said before the memories will still be there and future generations will make memories there as well

09/02/2014 at 7:46 pm

You guys did a great job on this video. It’s an excellent salute not only to the Colossus of the past, but also to the one in the future.

8. Francisco O

09/02/2014 at 8:49 pm

Coaster Junkies 101 said on his facebook, that he has heard that some track pieces of twisted colossus have showed up at SFMM.

9. Ryan O'Neill

09/02/2014 at 11:35 pm

I love seeing all the video clips of the coaster’s construction back in the 70’s. I had never seen any of those before! Thank you so much, Nicholas and Kurt, for digging up all those old clips and putting this together. I wish the park would display this video, or something similar, near Twisted Colossus once they reopen it. The original ride contains a lot of history for roller coaster fans and the park itself.

10. John

09/03/2014 at 3:48 am

Very Sad To See Them Destroy A Classic Rollercoaster, I Wish they Would Have Restored It To Its Original Layout With The Double Camel Back Hill, Just Replace The Rails With Metal New Trains & Paint But No… Like Everything Else Six Flags Tocuhes It Gets An Extreme Unnessasary Overhaul!

• Scott C.

09/03/2014 at 7:07 am

One wonders if they might have done that if there was rider interest in this ride, other than all the hoop-la when they announced this ride was closing. Every time I went there, the line was next to non existent. All the people making a big deal of it closing….where were they all the past few years? Oh, they were riding bigger, better, faster, smoother coasters at the mountain. Nostalgia can take over common sense.
      I think it is time to say goodbye, and hello to the new Twisted Colossus. This ride looks to be fantastic. Guarantee, two to three hour waits when it opens. Now we might be able to get on X2 in less than an hour!

• Dane

09/04/2014 at 11:08 pm

yay

09/04/2014 at 7:14 pm

I agree with Scott C. The few people upset that Colossus is being transformed into a hybrid coaster are definitely in the minority. This ride is extremely tame by modern standards and hardly anybody was riding it anymore. People today want taller, faster, and more extreme rides. If a ride is no longer bringing guests through the front gate, it’s gotta go. This is a business. They’re not going to lose money keeping a ride open just for nostalgia’s sake. Twisted Colossus will definitely be bringing people through the front gate that haven’t visited the park for years, and will likely have long lines for the next few years.

• Dane

09/04/2014 at 11:09 pm

Someone needs to tell Cedar Point that. Their old roller coaster is called Blue Streak, and it is the 1st roller coaster i have felt pain by riding.

• Ellex

09/13/2014 at 12:06 am

You have got to be kidding. For a roller coaster that’s 50 years old the Blue Streak is very smooth for a wooden roller coaster and there is nothing painful about riding it and has awesome air time from start to finish. The problem with Colossus is that Six Flags don’t know how to maintain a wooden roller coaster. Colossus was looking so bad due to the lack of keeping the ride painted and if Magic Mountain would have anchored more wood between the ledgers like Cedar Point did to the Blue Streak and Shivering Timbers at Michigan’s Adventure, Colossus would have been awesome. Bringing back the double down and using two bench six car PTC Trains Colossus would have been a great air time machine like it used to be when they ran PTC Trains on it before.

• Charles

09/15/2014 at 10:56 pm

I have to agree, I have not been to MM in 22 years until August 14, 2014 and August 16 2014,
        Real Life has a way of taking-up time and two eye operations, I wanted to go , but could not. you forget thing s that are fun, I’ am happy that I heard a radio station having a party for the closing of colossus, MM stopped marketing Colossus, funny thing the line were 90 minutes long, the last day and no one wanted it to end. On June 27 1978 we waited all day for Colossus to open
        going back and forth from revolution to colossus, the trains were running with no passengers.
        At 5 pm we were back and it was open, we ran all the way into the loading area and was the first to ride It was fast and incredible, yes at that time they were racing, I still have two first ride buttons, on the third run just before dark, the train seemed to be going faster than before, and did not stop at the point before the station turn and continued through the station about 15mph and stopped at the beginning of the lift hill, everyone wanted to go again reride! Ride operators had us walk out from that point, for obvious reasons, we all were laughing, as Kirt wrote “tame” I don’t think so! on Aug 14 I barely had nerve to ride again, and was kidding about heading to the chicken exit, we used to stand-up in the last car “back in the day” all well
        this has been fun, Back to the real world, thank you Kirt for great work you do at this site.
        PS. I have my 2015 pass and will be a first rider again!!!

09/04/2014 at 8:54 pm

Obviously it’s not going to happen, but I think that restoring Colossus to its original 1978 profile would have been a hit. A lot of people think that the “original” profile simply means bringing back the double-down on the parking lot side, but it’s a lot more than that. Look at pictures of Colossus taken when it was under construction and during its first season. Very different, and full of insane airtime.

11. Randie

09/03/2014 at 11:13 am

Great watch Kurt and Nicholas!

12. Scott C.

09/03/2014 at 6:38 pm

You and Nicholas knocked it out of the park with this video. Be sure you guys submit this to ACE for the video awards….

13. dylan

09/03/2014 at 6:46 pm

Twisted Colossus track has arrived. its next to the brake run. here is a photo http://i.imgur.com/xvuCgFz.jpg

09/03/2014 at 6:48 pm

Who took that photo? I’ve seen a couple of other people use it, but no credit has been given by anyone.

• James

09/03/2014 at 9:48 pm

Dylan, where did you find that?
        I need to find somewhere for construction updates!

09/03/2014 at 10:22 pm

The park is closed during the week now, so it’s not possible to get construction updates until the weekend. I’m trying to track down the owner of the photo myself. I’ve seen multiple people post it, but no credit has ever been given. Judging by where it was taken, it had to of been an employee. If that’s the case, then I believe it was taken against company policy, which may also explain why no credit has ever been attributed. Somebody may be jeopardizing their job by taking these pics.

• Francisco O

09/04/2014 at 6:57 pm

Kurt, its this page called “Our Mountain” on facebook , I just found the page yesterday.

09/04/2014 at 7:16 pm

Yah, but I don’t think it’s his photo. It was taken by somebody inside the park, and he doesn’t work there. I’ve also seen it used on other sites besides his, and they haven’t given any credit for it either.

• dylan

09/07/2014 at 2:47 pm

It was a photo released by Magic Mountain. I think it was on twitter or Facebook but I’m not sure

14. Ralph W

09/03/2014 at 7:22 pm

Awesome job Kurt & everyone involved. I had watched the initial video a few times. I just noticed an element on your video that I did not catch before. Sorry if it has already been discussed. They left out an element off the video. They used it on the Wicked Cyclone and highlighted it in the video. At 14.37, the last curve on the first run into the second lift hill. An outward bank.

Surprised they left it out, since they felt it was a strong enough element to hype it on the Cyclone video.

15. benjamin

09/04/2014 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for posting the video. I noticed 2 things. First, when Vincent Price was going up the lift the crows nest was not there-just a platform with an employee standing there. Second in the video for twisted colosuss when the train goes through the second drop it goes up the hill in the opposite direction that the ride originally went and it looks like it goes under the track when it lines up for the 2nd lift.

• Scott C.

09/04/2014 at 5:07 pm

What I noticed was no OTSRs on Revolution!!!! 🙂

• Dane

09/04/2014 at 11:10 pm

OTSR?

• M. Smith

09/05/2014 at 5:17 am

OTSR = over the shoulder restraints

• Dane

09/05/2014 at 9:54 pm

thanks

16. chilton schilling

09/06/2014 at 8:29 pm

Hey Kurt, it wod be really cool if you could set something up with the park to have a camera installed in one of the parking lot towers and have an employee turn it on and off everyday to time lapse the transformation from colossus to iron colossus. Just a thought.

• chilton schilling

09/06/2014 at 8:31 pm

Realized my mistake the second i hit post. Twisted not iron. Still think iron sounds better.

• chilton schilling

09/06/2014 at 8:37 pm

Realized my second mistake. Would not wod. Though i could make a lame pun. I could of said it wood be really cool. Yea i dont even hear crickets chirping.

• chilton schilling

09/06/2014 at 8:38 pm

Btw amazing video

• Charles

09/15/2014 at 11:09 pm

thats my vote!!

• Dane

09/06/2014 at 8:55 pm

That would be cool I just don’t think the park would go for it.

09/06/2014 at 9:20 pm

I love it when parks setup live web cams on their construction projects. Unfortunately, I don’t think SFMM has ever done that, nor do I think they have any desire to do that.

17. Jeremy

09/06/2014 at 8:29 pm

When will there be another trip report? I’ve been waiting awhile 😐

• chilton schilling

09/06/2014 at 8:33 pm

Be patient. Perfection shall not be rushed

09/06/2014 at 9:20 pm

I’ll be there for an update tomorrow.

18. Dane

09/06/2014 at 8:56 pm

Out of curiosity how do you guys get pictures on your profile.

19. Tony Dominguez

06/09/2015 at 10:37 pm

A look back at the first 36 years, can i buy a copy? Will you be adding footage with the now open twisted colossus including Media day. Would love to have all the history of colossus/twisted colossus. Tonyrollercoaster@yahoo.com 951 233 7049