Twisted Colossus Construction Update #1

By on 09/07/2014

OK, I know you have all been waiting patiently for me to start providing construction updates on Twisted Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I apologize for it taking so long, but the park is now closed during the week and I’ve had a huge “honey-do” list the past couple of weekends. I think I’m finally all caught up, so I was able to sneak away to the park today for my first look at what’s been do to Colossus so far.

From the parking lot side, it really doesn’t look any different:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_05

Of course, there’s a big crane out front and a bunch of construction containers:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_03

At first, it didn’t look like the first drop had been touched yet:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_01

However, on closer inspection you can see that there have been cuts made all the way across the track, through both the steel plating and the first layer of wood. I’m assuming that this breaks the track up into smaller pieces so it’s easier to remove. I’m not sure why the cuts are several inches wide:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_02

The second drop didn’t look like it had been touched either:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_08

A closer inspection of that also revealed the same cuts across both tracks:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_09

You can tell by looking up at the lift hill from the underside that they have been working on that. The first half of it appears to be completely gone:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_04

There was a dumpster full of debris, but it looked like old drinking fountains. I have no idea where they would have come from because there were no fountains near Colossus:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_07

Side note: There used to be a pair of drinking fountains in the middle of the Colossus queue. This was great for those hot days when you’re standing in line forever. Unfortunately, those were removed years ago. I really wish they would do that in all ride queues as a standard practice, but I guess they don’t quite pay as well as vending machines that dispense $4 bottles of soda.

Holy cow! I didn’t how far I walked from my car. My FitBit is going to love me today:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_06

On the inside of the park, the Colossus station entrance has been boarded up:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_13

SFMM: Please don’t toss that sign. It’ll make a great addition to the in-park museum that I’m going to talk you into building someday.

Both of the ride operator control panels have been completely removed:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_14

The most notable change is the complete removal of the track leading away from the station on the right side. This is the side that hasn’t been used in the past couple of years. It used to bank left and go under this exit bridge:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_11

I can’t help but wonder if all those people who kept asking for the two sides to race one final time are going to start asking when the new track will be installed here so it can race again.

This is where that track went around the corner and off to meet up with the other track at the lift hill:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_12

Speaking of the lift hill, this is what we were looking at earlier from the underside. They have been busy removing both tracks leading up the lift hill:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_20

A closer inspection shows what looks like burns. I’m wondering if they have been using a cutting torch to get the lift hill chain rail off the supporting rail underneath. If so, I hope they are careful not to catch the main structure on fire, because that would really suck:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_19

If you look at the rails above, that they haven’t gotten to yet, you can see more of the same cuts that we saw earlier. This has got to be how they make manageable size chunks to work with:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_18

The bathrooms you pass as you head down the hill towards Colossus have been boarded up. I hope this means that they are getting an overhaul, because they needed it:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_10

The first couple of new track pieces have arrived and are sitting right next to the storage track area. This was the best shot I could get without breaking park policy and going behind a barricade or wandering into a backstage area, which I am not willing to do:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_17

These next flat metal plates are what help connect the iBox track pieces together. If you look at the previous photo, you’ll notice there is a green top plate on the green track, but it doesn’t go all the way to the end. When you put two pieces of track together, these flat plates are bolted across the top of both sides to help secure the two pieces together. Once secure, there is a smooth, flat, continuous surface for the coaster train to glide along:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_15

There really didn’t appear to be much more to see behind the fence. There are several pallets of lumber stacked up and ready to be used, but that’s about it:

SFMM_TCUpdate1_16

Here’s a short video showing much of the same:

If you like what you see here, be sure to use the social media buttons below to share with your friends. I’ve also been doing a lot of posting on Instagram lately, so be sure to follow me there as well.

1. Steven

09/07/2014 at 7:02 pm

One more reason to get a 2015 season pass. I can’t wait to visits the park more often next year. Thanks for the update Kurt!

2. Casey

09/07/2014 at 7:12 pm

Wow. I’m so excited to see how Twisted Colossus will turn out! As for the cuts in the track, I believe they are for making it easier to dismantle, but they also had a contest on Twitter to win a piece of Colossus track. Maybe that’s what they’re using the bits and pieces for.

3. RollerCoasterCentral

09/07/2014 at 7:34 pm

The reason I got into your site was the full throttle updates and I can’t wait for these next updates! They’re the best!

4. Dean

09/07/2014 at 7:39 pm

Great update!
    Do you know how to enter in the track give away contest?

5. Ralph Bugarin

09/07/2014 at 8:08 pm

Great 1st update, Kurt. Can’t wait 4 what’s next. So the 1st drop is going 2 be steeper than the original 1 right?? Cus that’s how it looks on the video. I really hope it is though. It’s going 2 be an awesome ride. =)

6. Domingo

09/07/2014 at 8:13 pm

Great update! You should put watermarks in your videos cause someone could screen shot your pictures… but awesome update love the track

7. Domingo

09/07/2014 at 8:14 pm

You should put watermarks in your videos cause someone could screenshot your footage…

09/07/2014 at 8:24 pm

I do. Very small, top-right corner. I don’t like them to be obtrusive.

8. tacalert

09/07/2014 at 8:22 pm

Won’t there only be one side to the station now? I thought the animation shows you going through the ride once, then going up the other lift to do it again. My thought is you will only be entering on one side of the station at all times so there won’t be a need for a left or right, right?

09/07/2014 at 8:25 pm

There will only be one side, which is why they’ve removed the side I showed in the update.

9. steve

09/07/2014 at 8:24 pm

It will be nice to see it get a nice new coat of white paint. Woodies are really a thing of beauty and awe!

10. Ryan O'Neill

09/07/2014 at 8:26 pm

So the path to Scream! is still open? I assume they will eventually close it off so they can renovate it into the “Back Alley”. Do you have any predictions on when that will be?

09/07/2014 at 9:17 pm

I’m not sure that Back Alley will be all that different than what we have now. They said new food and retail locations. I expect the existing restaurant will reopen as something new. With regards to retail, that could just be some portable kiosks. I’m not expecting much of an impact to Scream at all.

11. Roger

09/07/2014 at 8:39 pm

Great update, Kurt! Looking forward to see the building process and, of course, the ride. Became a season pass member for the 1st time in my entire life, now that’s twisted! See ya in the park!

12. CoasterGuru14

09/07/2014 at 9:59 pm

Kurt, if you watch the announcement video, and pause it at the right place, it shows the track turning to the left, on the side that you showed has been removed, and for some reason, the video showed it being very bumpy and hilly…

09/07/2014 at 11:34 pm

It’s a little bittersweet watching Colossus being taken apart. This is something I thought I’d never see in my lifetime. But in the end it’ll all be worth it.

I look forward to upcoming reports on the progress of Twisted Colossus. It’s getting off to a slow start, of course, but as it gets nearer to next summer, construction is going to pick up quickly.

14. Randie

09/08/2014 at 8:33 am

I started coming on here for the Full Throttle updates as well and have been hooked ever since. Great job with the updates Kurt! I second what Eric said about looking forward to the upcoming reports.

15. benjamin

09/08/2014 at 11:27 am

Hopefully theride will be able to race the trains again but it is going to depend on the location of block brakes. The video for full thottle showed one train going through the loop and another train going over the top hat but due to brake locations that effect could never happen (2 trains can’t share the same block brake)

16. Pingback: Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 7 Sep 2014 - The Coaster Guy - The Coaster Guy

17. Scott C.

09/08/2014 at 1:53 pm

KTLA reporting Colossus is on fire. Pic on their website.

• Randie

09/08/2014 at 1:58 pm

Just seen that report also

18. jairo

09/08/2014 at 2:00 pm

you said it .. the top of colossus is burning up and some of it is collapsing .. this is gonna be a major set back. for twisted. colossus

19. Scott C.

09/08/2014 at 2:09 pm

Ironic, given Kurt’s statement:
    “A closer inspection shows what looks like burns. I’m wondering if they have been using a cutting torch to get the lift hill chain rail off the supporting rail underneath. If so, I hope they are careful not to catch the main structure on fire, because that would really suck”

Yes, suck indeed!

20. M. Smith

09/08/2014 at 2:51 pm

Oh man, I just saw the news, Kurt look what you said!

“the lift hill chain rail off the supporting rail underneath. If so, I hope they are careful not to catch the main structure on fire, because that would really suck”

21. Clare

09/08/2014 at 3:09 pm

Is scream still open during all the construction?

22. Wayne

09/08/2014 at 4:10 pm

23. Casey

09/08/2014 at 4:39 pm

Wow! The Coaster Guy even knows how to predict the future!

24. Henry

09/08/2014 at 4:50 pm

BOOM! Kurt whens best theme park blogger of the year award?

25. Pingback: Colossus Catches Fire At Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy - The Coaster Guy

26. Pingback: Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain Cacthes Fire, Partially Collapses | Great American Thrills®

27. Pingback: Colossus at Six Flags Magic Mountain Catches Fire, Partially Collapses | Great American Thrills®

28. JuanC

09/08/2014 at 9:19 pm

Hey man, thanks for keeping us coaster freaks updated. Maybe you should be out there with the construction workers giving the safety tips, haha. Can’t wait for your next update… Have a good one.

29. Jaimey

09/09/2014 at 8:49 am

Closed during the week?! Isn’t that weird?

I haven’t been there since I was a kid. I miss so cal sometimes.

09/09/2014 at 9:06 am

Not weird at all. During the off season, they’re only open on weekends and holidays. The season just ended on Labor Day.

30. UNKNOWN

09/14/2014 at 10:47 pm

Do you know if their is going to be a camera on the ride like Full Throttle or Goliath has??

09/14/2014 at 11:08 pm

I’m sorry, but I don’t know the answer to that question yet.

31. Pingback: Twisted Colossus Construction Update #3 - The Coaster Guy - The Coaster Guy

32. James

09/30/2014 at 12:55 am

You mentioned an in-park museum. There is (or was, I’ve not been there in a while) an in-park museum at the top of the Sky Tower.

09/30/2014 at 12:03 pm

It was in the Sky Tower and it was called The Magic of the Mountain. However, it was removed a few years ago.

33. Jacob

10/10/2014 at 6:10 pm

Lol, when I saw your comment about the burn marks and you hoping that they don’t catch the structure on fire, I laughed. Oh the irony…