Twisted Colossus Construction Update #4

By on 10/04/2014

I headed over to Six Flags Magic Mountain last night to check out the 2014 Fright Fest event (review coming soon), but while I was there I checked out what was going on with the Twisted Colossus construction.

From the parking lot side, it doesn’t look like much has changed since my last update:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_08

The top of the lift hill is still missing. Unless they decided to make it a jump at the top, which I would prefer but highly doubt, then we should start to see some action here really soon as the new track is already making its way up the lift hill from the bottom:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_09

On the inside of the park, the track section we saw leaving the station last week is now mostly complete:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_04

The pieces have been lined up, width adjusted, and seam caps installed:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_06

What hasn’t been completed yet is actually securing the track to the footers. Now that everything is in place, they are now starting to bore holes and glue in the threaded bolts:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_11

Tim Burkhart, Magic Mountain’s former Director of Maintenance, Construction and Engineering (now Six Flags’ VP of Construction), explained during a Full Throttle hardhat tour that is how they secured the Full Throttle track into the existing tunnel when they built that roller coaster.

A few of the bolts have been attached but not yet tightened down. I suspect that they need to wait awhile to ensure that the epoxy is completely cured first:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_10

The brackets are just flat discs of steel with a mini I-beam welded on top to attach the rail support:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_12

Unlike last week, the track does appear to extend into the station now:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_05

Peeking into the station, we can see that the track does indeed now extend through it:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_13

In fact, if you look past the station you can now see the green track extending out of it. Remember that the green track is the second half of the ride, so this would be where the track comes back into that station. At some point it will turn blue before leaving the station out the other end. There’s that track spreader or width gauge again:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_14

What I find interesting is that unlike the original Colossus, the track returning into the station is not flat. In fact, it’s got quite a steep downward slope to it:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_15

At first glance peeking over the fence, there doesn’t appear to be much going on other than all that freshly painted wood from last week laying out to dry:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_19

However, on closer inspection, check out the green track behind the crane. At first I thought it was just hanging there, waiting to be installed. But you can see that it is already mounted to supports and cross rails. This is how steep the drop back into the station will be:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_18

Also in the above picture, you can see the blue track starting to make its way up the lift hill:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_17

Zooming in, you can see exactly how far it’s gotten, awaiting the next piece:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_16

Combining these pictures with the pre-lift bunny hill photos that we saw last week, it now appears that all of the track work to and from the station is now complete. That’s exciting, at least for me, because that means that we should be able to see almost all of the track work being done from here on out.

Turning our attention to the outside of the station, you can’t help but notice that several trees have been cut down as you make your way down the hill to the ride:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_01

And by several , I really meant a lot. This does now provide for a fantastic view of the station as you’re approaching it, but I’d prefer the shade to the view, especially when the temperatures are over 100 degrees like they were when I took this photo:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_02

There are now no trees anywhere near the front of the station:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_03

The big planter box in front of the station was always guaranteed to provide some shade on one side or another as you were waiting for someone on Colossus, but not anymore:

SFMM_TCUpdate4_07

My only hope is that the trees were sacrificed because they have big plans for this area. It’s already been announced that this space will be known as Back Alley, with new food and retail locations, but we don’t know what exactly that means. I suspect that the former Colossus Cookery/Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream location (the blue building in the above photo) will be reopened as the new food location. I have no idea what to expect with regards to new retail space. I just hope that it isn’t a few portable kiosks rolled out daily. Oh, and a new paint job for Scream and a new flat ride ride or two would be a great surprise!

What are your thoughts? What would you like to see them do here?

If you like what you see here, please use the social media buttons below to help spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. Johnny

10/04/2014 at 3:05 pm

Thanks for the update. I always love this point construction, because every week brings something knew. Just imagine how things will look come February! I agree that a major touch up job to Scream is a must. Although I will miss the 15 minute waits even on busy days.

2. Johnny

10/04/2014 at 3:08 pm

***New*** Damn phone correct!

3. steve austin

10/04/2014 at 3:13 pm

Love the update….don’t like the removal of the trees one bit however. To me it would be find a way to work around the MATURE trees…it takes many years for the trees to get to the point of some nice shade. I would hope in fact that for TC and Scream they would completely remove all the asphalt underneath these coasters and put some nice greenery in there….but i guess thats just wishful thinking….

• Justin Bazant

10/06/2014 at 11:14 am

I would prefer some landscaping as well. However, considering SFMM’s location (hot!) and CA’s drought condition it would likely be rocks/desert landscape. I couldn’t imagine installing lush greens and irrigation.

4. Johnny

10/04/2014 at 3:39 pm

It’s hard to tell from the pictures, but will the slated (green) brake run extent down into the station, or several feet away?

5. Byron

10/04/2014 at 3:39 pm

I would love to see a scream repaint, which I think is a strong possibility especially now that it’s exposed since the trees have been cut down. I would love even more to see flats but I doubt that will happen.

6. Brian

10/04/2014 at 4:40 pm

The comment about the jump reminded me of when I used to play Roller Coaster Tycoon and remove parts of my coasters while people were riding them. Their trains would go flying off and crashing into the giant body of water that surrounded the ride. Quite a few people also drowned in this water when I removed the paths they were walking on.

• Justin Bazant

10/06/2014 at 11:22 am

Shuttle Launch coasters!

10/04/2014 at 10:08 pm

Leaving Scream! all faded may well fit into the Back Alley theme, but to be honest, a repaint would be nice. I have a feeling that it may get a repaint if only to match the colors to the theming of the new area.

Sad to see all of the trees removed, but you never know, they may bring in some new ones.

That sloped track going into the station looks like it will make the ending of Twisted Colossus a bit more exciting.

8. Dane. P

10/04/2014 at 10:38 pm

So wait to clarify they are using old Colossus supports to support twisted Colossus?

10/05/2014 at 12:58 am

Yes and no. Depends on the part of the track. What I’ve shown coming out of the station is new, steel supports. However, once it gets to the main structure, the existing wood will be used. The steel rails are attached to steel cross supports, but those will be bolted to the existing wood structure.

• Dane. P

10/05/2014 at 2:54 pm

so the ride will be just as shaky as the old one?

10/05/2014 at 3:41 pm

It won’t be shaky at all. It’ll be rock solid and smooth as glass.

9. Isaac

10/05/2014 at 10:14 am

Yah new flat ground rides would make this place exciting! This should definitely do an expansion next year and perhaps another new roller coaster!?

10. benjamin

10/05/2014 at 6:05 pm

Having worked this ride I have one question that I can’t figure out, If the final run into the station is that high and steep, where is the transfer track going to be?

10/05/2014 at 7:19 pm

I saw a better pic of it today. The sloped track ends at the start of the transfer track. It’s flat from the transfer track into the station.

• benjamin

10/06/2014 at 8:29 am

OK that answers my question. I was hoping that the ride would get a re-paint with all the work being done on it but as you showed they are re-painting boards before installing them. One thing I remember was when they did a re-paint in the 90’s there were full time employees cars parked where scream is today and after the first day every ones cars were covered in little white paint dots. If they were to re-paint it now the same thing would happen to scream.

11. Alex

10/06/2014 at 5:06 pm

It looks like it’s going to be done right before spring !

12. JMazz

10/07/2014 at 6:52 am

I suspect that the queue façade will be changing and pushed into the area’s plaza. This is the reason for removing trees in this location??? It stands to reason that they need a better/more modern queue and that the county fair style façade must be replaced for a basic “back alley” theme. I am guessing the queue will be much longer too.
    As to the trees closer to the cookery, rumor has it this area is expanding significantly. I too am hoping for something major!

Thx for your updates! I showed my nephew your FF review and that sealed the deal. We are heading to the next FF event.

13. JJJJ

10/10/2014 at 8:37 am

Six Flags does not understand the value that trees provide to their customers.

Its almost like the executives dont visit the park in July and wait in 2 hour lines…

14. josh.f

10/10/2014 at 5:12 pm

Cause they dont

15. MichaelOchs

10/10/2014 at 10:57 pm

I really like how the ride is coming along, but I don’t like the whole back-alley thing, just can’t help but feel bad for bruce (get it?) anyway, I hope it comes out good and not some crappy place, as always great updates man.

16. tina

10/16/2014 at 8:48 am

I cant believe they are finally done with the station! It is so exciting that Twisted Colossus is coming together so fast. One thing that I outraged with was the many trees they sentenced to death. I hope they plan on replanting more trees to replace the ones lost. I would hate to see them NOT continue our reputation as being the greenest park. I also hope they put in lots of benches for people to sit. My mom is one of those people that cant spin as far as cork screws go, so she sits a lot. I look forward to the coming months to see what happens!!