Twisted Colossus Construction Update #13

By on 12/30/2014

Since my last Twisted Colossus construction update, the bulk of the work done on the former Colossus roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain has been demolition of the upper bents all the way around the second turnaround. As you can see in this first photo, they are almost done with that work and the coaster is now considerably shorter around this turn than it was before:

Twisted Colossus Construction

The bents are being removed one at a time, and the process looks pretty straight forward. The crane cable is attached to the steel support beam that runs across the upper portion of the bent. This is what keeps it from toppling as they cut it away from the rest of the structure, as well as how they get it to the ground. The guys in the basket were working on the right side of the bent:

Twisted Colossus Construction

There was another guy working on the left side of the bent:

Twisted Colossus Construction

Here’s a better shot of the steel cables wrapped around the steel support beam. The heavy track rails were already removed. All that’s left is a bit of wood in the middle that made up the walking platform that ran between the tracks:

Twisted Colossus Construction

Once everything was secured, the guy on the right started making cuts with a chainsaw:

Twisted Colossus Construction

The guy on the left also started making cuts with a chainsaw:

Twisted Colossus Construction

Once the last cut was made, the bent popped loose and was supported only by the crane:

Twisted Colossus Construction

Now it was just a matter of hauling it away:

Twisted Colossus Construction

The crane spun it around counterclockwise and set it down inside of the structure:

Twisted Colossus Construction

Here’s a short video of the entire process of removing just one bent:

That’s it for this update. I’ll be back at the park later this week and will be sure to let you know if anything new is going on with the Twisted Colossus construction.

If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

12/30/2014 at 4:21 pm

I knew that several years ago they I-beamed much of the track., but never knew that there were steel I-beams supporting the track on that turnaround. So it goes. The next six months or so will be very interesting. Thanks for providing the best coverage of this project.

2. Jacki

12/31/2014 at 1:51 pm

Our son, Justin, is the one operating the crane … lifting the big section away. Wow …. Nerves of steel. Not for the faint of heart, like me. So interesting.

3. Brady

01/02/2015 at 9:14 pm

Any idea what they will be doing with all that scrap wood or where they are hauling it off to? Would be cool if they cut them up and made little plaques with the colossus logo burned into them for people to buy as a souvenir.

On a side note:
    Your updates and park coverage are top notch. I recently moved away from Souther California after living there for 30+ years and this brings me back. I have been checking your updates regularly for some time now and really do appreciate the time and effort that goes into it! Makes me feel at home again… if even for a moment. So a big Thank You and all the best to you this upcoming year!
    Brady in Oklahoma.

01/02/2015 at 9:29 pm

Thank you very much for the kind words, Brady! I’m glad you enjoy the site.

I have no idea what they’re doing with the scrap lumber, but I’m sure it’s just being hauled off to a dump or to be recycled. They did make a limited number of scrap pieces (500?) with a commemorative Colossus logo burned (aka branded) into it, however they were handed out as promotional items and never sold.

01/03/2015 at 1:30 pm

I got one at an ACE event last summer. They gave them out for answering trivia questions. However, I didn’t get mine there. In my case, someone left their piece in the parking lot and I found it on my way back to my car. Kind of a stroke of luck. 🙂

4. Erik

01/04/2015 at 4:07 pm

More video updates please!!! They are awesome

5. JJJJ

01/05/2015 at 9:46 am

Off topic: I asked MM via twitter if there was non-dairy hot chocolate and they never replied 🙁