Twisted Colossus Construction Update #14

By on 01/10/2015

Despite the rain today, I ventured over to Six Flags Magic Mountain to get a quick update on the Twisted Colossus construction. After this weekend, the park will be back to its weekends-only off-season schedule, and since I’m going to be at Disneyland tomorrow, I had to do it today. That’s necessarily a bad thing though, because the park was pretty dead, so it was an easy in and out.

The first thing I heard when I got out of my car was some hammering on metal. I looked up and was surprised to see some guys working on the track in the rain:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_01

They were working on the blue track on the first drop:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_03

Some more new track has been added since my last update. The green track has been extended from the bottom of the first drop and now has a small airtime hill just like the blue track has:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_13

Both tracks now come down the first drop and get a quick pop of airtime before heading up the second hill:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_11

After the small hill, both tracks start heading up the second hill:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_14

From a distance, you can now get a better sense of the track heading up the second hill, and the short dip right afterwards, before getting to new “High 5” element on what used to be the boring first turnaround:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_16

It looks like most of the steel supports have been placed on that second hill and are just awaiting more track to arrive so it can be placed:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_12

Here’s a closer shot of where the track ends as of today:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_10

Another shot of the steel cross supports awaiting new track on the second hill:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_08

If you look really close at those steel supports at the very top, you can already see where they are starting to angle to make a banked turn:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_09

If you consider the difference in height from the top of the lift hill to the second hill, I think it’s safe to assume that the trains are going to have some serious speed and will be haulin’ butt as they make their way through the rest of the circuit:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_17

Nothing to show on the inside of the park, as the construction wall is up and is quite high. I’m hearing that they are already tearing up the midway and planter boxes in this area, starting the transformation into the new Screampunk District:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_04

Back out front, you can see where the old track has been removed from the last turnaround and what is still there. I’m hearing that much of the old track will remain throughout this area as it is needed for structural integrity:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_07

As I was returning to my car, the two construction workers were still working on the first drop track, however, they moved over and were now working on the green track:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_05

This is where they were working on the track at:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_06

This made me laugh. I was standing in the pouring rain, holding an umbrella, and taking pictures. When I zoomed in on this tag, I realized it said “Warning: Hot work in progress, watch for fire!” I wasn’t laughing because it was silly, as I think safety should always be the top priority. I just made me giggle because I was struggling to read what it said while standing in the rain:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_15

With so much of the old structure gone, but so many footers remaining, it’s pretty easy to see where some of the old track used to run. That is the roof of the station in the background, and you can see the green track elevated in the middle as it returns to the station:

SFMM_TCUpdate14_18

That’s it for this week’s Twisted Colossus construction update. I’ll be sure to post another one next week.

If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. Misael

01/10/2015 at 11:11 pm

Any news on the details of the re-vamp of Scream! ? What color scheme? What theme-ing? If they are going to tear up the parking lot it’s sitting on top of?

2. Bob

01/10/2015 at 11:11 pm

Amazing Post! Please post pictures of the Scream paint aswell! And when you can post more twisted colossus pics! 😉

3. CoasterGuru14

01/10/2015 at 11:30 pm

Or… are they getting V2 trains with Banshee at KI like restraints!

4. Peter M

01/12/2015 at 12:43 am

Great post!

5. Kai T

01/13/2015 at 3:11 pm

I really hope they put Banshee restraints on Scream, that would make the ride far better. I drive by MM every morning and they’re out there adding new parts constantly. Can’t wait for it to open!

6. Pingback: Six Flags Magic Mountain In The Rain - The Coaster Guy

7. Tony

01/24/2015 at 9:14 am

What is up with that huge hole in the middle of the ground?

01/24/2015 at 9:30 am

That’s where the Colossus track used to dip below grade. There were actually three places where the Colossus track went below the ground surface, but most people couldn’t tell as they were riding it.

8. Charles

01/24/2015 at 8:31 pm

Hi Kurt I could not access my season pass, and the support page says to register again. I do not have my id card today I will try on Sunday to put the info in, it was blocked on Monday Jan 19. Drove by MM on Wednesday and you barely can see Colossus from the freeway, what is the reason they cut down half its height? Thanks, Charles

01/24/2015 at 8:37 pm

Hi Charles,

Colossus closed last August and is currently being transformed into Twisted Colossus. They are replacing the old wooden track with steel. When it reopens, it will be a much more thrilling ride with new elements never before seen on Colossus, like a High 5, two lift hills, and multiple inversions. It’s going to be great!!

9. Jairo

01/25/2015 at 8:04 am

Hey coasterguy I wanted to know what they were call the area formerly known as colossus county fair where the games and goliath are located now that colosuss has it own themed area.

01/25/2015 at 8:50 am

As far as i know, there will be no change. The Center Ring Games area will still be called Colossus County Fair.

• JAIRO

01/25/2015 at 7:30 pm

thanks for the reply. they should join that area with dc universe all the way to riddlers And the goliath area should become its on tropical theme area.

10. Matthew

01/28/2015 at 9:19 pm

hey coasterguy, love your videos. i was wondering how six flags would be on superbowl sunday, because i dont trust the customer service agents online always telling me it will be 2 hour waits. from now on, would you be able to tell us how the lines were in the video? there were a lot of comments on that and was just giving some friendly advice. thanks!

01/29/2015 at 10:43 am

I honestly have no idea how busy the park will be on Superbowl Sunday. It falls on a different day every year and I’m usually home watching the game.

Saying how long the lines are in a video is pointless. Since my videos don’t typically get uploaded for 24-48 hours after I film them, the crowds will have changed by the time anyone sees it.

• Matthew

01/29/2015 at 5:17 pm

alright, thanks. how was it when you went?

01/29/2015 at 5:37 pm

It wasn’t very crowded, but I also didn’t go on any rides.

• Matthew