Scream! Finally Getting New Paint

By on 02/02/2015

A trip over to Six Flags Magic Mountain this weekend to check on the Twisted Colossus construction showed that they have finally started to give Scream! a fresh coat of paint. Not only is it getting painted, but it’s also getting a new paint scheme! It appears the new colors will now be solid blue track with orange supports.

The most noticeable part of the new paint job from inside the park is the top half of the 96′ tall dive loop. The entire track, including the rails, is now solid blue:

SFMM_scream_paint_8

The lower half of the loop, including the support columns, has yet to be painted:

SFMM_scream_paint_9

All of the connection points are being pre-treated with some sort of primer:

SFMM_scream_paint_3

The support columns are getting a brand new color, a bright orange:

SFMM_scream_paint_4

I thought they always started painting at the top of coasters and worked their way down, just in case they spilled anything from up high. I’m guessing these short columns down on the ground were just a test to see what it would look like before fully committing:

SFMM_scream_paint_6

Here’s another newly painted column right next to freshly painted track:

SFMM_scream_paint_7

Here you can see the old paint next to the new paint. While the blue doesn’t appear to be much different than what was on there (I’m sure the old paint faded over time), it sure looks nice refreshed. Personally, I like seeing the rails a different color, so this solid color scheme will take a little getting used to for me:

SFMM_scream_paint_2

Here’s a close-up of where the old paint meets the new:

SFMM_scream_paint_1

As you can see, they have lots of track and a long ways to go:

SFMM_scream_paint_5

Still no word from the park if the name or theme (I know, don’t say it) will change. What do you think of the new paint scheme? Let me hear from you in the comments below.

If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. steve austin

02/02/2015 at 8:55 am

i was PRAYING it would be anything but orange….any other color but that. oh well,looks better than it did

2. James

02/02/2015 at 9:50 am

Guess now we know they had some leftover blue from the Batman repaint! 😉

My only complaint is the 3 color scheme is going away. It was very unique IMO and i liked how not only the rails, but the t-supports on the spine of the track were painted their own color. And contrary to popular opinion I will admit I LIKED Scream!’s original colors and would have been happy with them being repainted freshly with the same colors. So those are some things I will miss.

But I also think this repaint means the park is not gonna be handing this coaster to another one any time soon, so that’s also a good sign!

Thanks for the pics! I look forward to seeing how Scream! looks when it’s all done!

3. Jimmy

02/02/2015 at 10:00 am

So far so good.

4. Michael

02/02/2015 at 2:50 pm

I’ll admit, I had some doubts, but that blue look great, i hope the orange will go well, not a color I would have chosen personally, but Tatsu looks great orange maybe scream will too. Tatsu could also use some fresh paint, same colors though. Thanks for another great update.

5. JAIRO

02/02/2015 at 5:13 pm

i think eventually the yellow rails will make a comeback when the paint starts peeling from the train running its course. on X2 in some parts of the track you can see some of the old paint on the rails.

02/02/2015 at 5:22 pm

I liked the three-color paint scheme on Scream! One twist they might have made is to paint the rails purple, the spine yellow, and the supports blue—same three colors, only mixed up. Orange and blue? Eh. But it’s a new scheme for the park and we’ll get used to it.

• Samuel

02/03/2015 at 6:50 pm

Eric… Why do always comment on every single of his posts?? (Give or take) it dosen’t matter if you don’t comment on 20 of his post it just looks weird to comment on EVERY single of his post… Please take my advice

• Caeey

02/03/2015 at 10:08 pm

Samuel, can you just leave him alone? He’s not bothering you or hurting you in any way, he’s just leaving his opinion. It seems like you’re the only one having a problem with it. I don’t find it creepy or weird. If he enjoys doing it, then let him do it. We don’t come to this website to be harassed.

02/04/2015 at 1:52 am

Samuel, I don’t know of any rules that forbid anyone from posting at any time on this site. Why does it look weird? This is one of my hobbies and I have the right to enjoy it as I see fit as long as I don’t cause any harm to anyone in the process.

Kurt is also a friend of mine, and by commenting I’m helping to support his website.

Please explain why it “looks weird” if I post about his updates. Personally, I don’t see it.

7. Avira

02/02/2015 at 8:44 pm

Thanks for the update! Any hint or sign of changes that might be made to the Scream’s footprint? (Something other than the black asphalt??) Ps- I’ve been a regular visitor to your site for about a year now, finally braving my first comment 🙂 Love your very thorough site! It keeps me connected to my ‘happiest place on earth’… Thanks for all you do!

8. Misael

02/02/2015 at 9:19 pm

I’m hoping the theme will fit into whatever they’re doing to the rest of the area. Also hoping for some ripping of the pavement and putting some trees, or buildings or structures from the steampunk era.

9. steve austin

02/02/2015 at 9:32 pm

They are really making quick work of painting that if they are really using brush and roller…..didnt X2 take 3 months to repaint? Scream seams to be going much faster.

10. Tyler Chinappi

02/03/2015 at 2:16 pm

do you think that the reason scream is going to be blue is because magic mountain still had some 5 gal. paint canisters left over from when they repainted batman the few years back???

11. Pingback: Der Repaint-/Renovierungs- und Umbauthread - Seite 16

12. mike

02/03/2015 at 3:04 pm

Lookin good so far…. they should repaint viper too while they’re at it, last time I went it looked like total shit.

02/03/2015 at 10:19 pm

It is getting faded, but it’s not part of the Screampunk District, so no paint for it this year!

02/04/2015 at 1:48 am

Viper was repainted just a few years ago, so it should be near the end of the line for a repaint. Also, with other large, multi-inversion Arrow coasters being taken down (Shock Wave at SFGAm, Great American Scream Machine at SFGAd), and with Viper being 25 years old, there’s always the possibility that it, too, is nearing the end of its useful life. Freeing up that space at some point will make room for something possibly better.

13. JAIRO

02/03/2015 at 4:16 pm

Maybe they could add that mist machine they added to BIZZARO in the interlocking corkscrews. the mist machine looks very steam punk.

• Jimmy

02/03/2015 at 7:58 pm

Agreed!

• j.ibarra

02/03/2015 at 9:32 pm

Or put a tunnel around the first loop with a mist machine in it huh huh…has that ever been done?

• Jairo

02/03/2015 at 10:28 pm

That would be crazy and awsome. Just imagine going through the loop with a tunnel of mist and fog . And it would also make it look steampunk .

• j.ibarra

02/04/2015 at 12:09 pm

Hopefully someone from six flags is reading this haha…it’s a cheap way to spice things up on Scream..imo

14. Bob

02/03/2015 at 7:13 pm

Opposite colors of rougorou from cedar point

15. JAWS 5

02/04/2015 at 12:24 pm

First of all thanks to the Coaster Guy for keeping me informed about the happenings at MM over the years! Great job! Second, does anyone know WHY in the world MM left what used to be the parking lot below Scream!? It looks so ghetto it really bothers me. They could have put water or grass or anything but what they did! Why??

02/04/2015 at 12:42 pm

Thank you! From what I heard, Scream! was a last minute addition to SFMM. They had to scramble to just get it in, so there was no time to do a theme. But even if that were true, they’ve had 12 years to do something, so I have no idea.

16. Paul Moran

02/04/2015 at 1:24 pm

What would make me happy is for Six Flags to actually landscape around the coaster. I don’t like the fact that it was built in the parking lot and still looks like it was built in a parking lot.

17. enoc

02/04/2015 at 10:24 pm

i love scream, the colors should be more copper color but anything is fine. they should add the tunnel with the mist that will be awesome. thanks kurt for the update.