Scream Paint Job Update #4

By on 03/03/2015

What a difference a couple of weeks make! You saw in my last Scream! update that much of this track at Six Flags Magic Mountain had been painted, but they were just starting on the support columns. Most of the coaster has now been painted and it definitely “screams” for your attention. These photos were taken on Sunday, March 1st.

The new colors are so bright and vibrant that you can see them from quite a distance. It doesn’t matter if it’s sunny or cloudy, you can easily see it from not only the parking lot, but also from the nearby freeway. It looks like a brand new coaster:

SFMM_scream4_01

Most of the work on the lift hill and first drop is done:

SFMM_scream4_02

The orange looks great against the ominous rain clouds behind:

SFMM_scream4_05

As you can see, not everything has been finished yet:

SFMM_scream4_06

This looks so much better than the old, fading paint that was on there before:

SFMM_scream4_04

It’s hard to tell in this lower quality posted photo, but in the original you can clearly see the difference between the high gloss orange paint on the top half of this column versus the peachy colored primer coat on the lower half:

SFMM_scream4_03

Here’s a shot of the new paint job as seen from the far side of the parking lot:

SFMM_scream4_07

Nothing has been touched inside the station yet, including the track:

SFMM_scream4_08

There are still lots of small areas that still need to be finished. The heavy rains that we’ve had lately have not helped matters. This is the very top of a support column underneath the top of the lift hill:

SFMM_scream4_11

You may not have noticed in the above photos, but most of the screening material on the chain link fence has been replaced all the way around the coaster:

SFMM_scream4_09

Here’s one final shot of the coaster from inside the screened fencing:

SFMM_scream4_10

That’s it! If the rains stop, I suspect that this project will be completed in the next couple of weeks, not counting the station. We’ll have to wait and see what they do there.

If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. Freddie

03/03/2015 at 10:15 am

I agree about seeing it from the freeway, we were driving by and it really stands out. I look forward to seeing it completed.

2. j.ibarra

03/03/2015 at 12:43 pm

Drove by there Sunday on the 5 and yea it’s badass looking

03/03/2015 at 4:33 pm

Interesting how they used primer on the supports, but apparently not on the track. Maybe so the darker maroon wouldn’t bleed through?

But Scream! does look like a brand new ride. I look forward to seeing what the refurbished trains will look like.

4. RollerCoasterLover

03/03/2015 at 4:40 pm

will the new trains have the vest restraints.

5. Tim

03/03/2015 at 6:09 pm

To be honest, not a big fan of those bright vibrant colors red and blue, looks odd, but I know it needed something since that whole area is getting a new theme and Twisted Colossus. All that ride needs now is some landscaping, small shrubs, rocks, a damaged vehicle, something besides that awful eye soar of a paved parking lot. They have money for paint, but not enough to landscape such a very cool ride. Perhaps Scream will soon be part of the Rotation program, and go elsewhere in the future, but not so sure after painting it and giving the area a new theme. I’ll have to see this whole area in person this summer once Twisted Colossus opens before I make my final opinion on these new colors for Scream.

• Davis S.

03/03/2015 at 8:04 pm

Hasn’t it been a very long time since they did the coaster rotation program?

• Johnny

03/04/2015 at 8:50 am

This looks a TON better than it did before. I just don’t think Scream is popular enough for the park to sink all kinds of money into landscaping, although perhaps on an off year they might, when they aren’t spending millions next door upgrading Colossus.

6. Angel

03/04/2015 at 9:36 pm

Are there any more promotions/sales coming up for the gold season asses?

• Scott C.

03/04/2015 at 10:18 pm

Ah yes, gold season asses. Where can I get my hands on one of those?

• Angel

03/04/2015 at 11:02 pm

passes* lmao

• tina

03/11/2015 at 1:20 pm

LMFAO!!!

7. Tony

03/07/2015 at 10:01 am

Is just me because I am getting a wicked cyclone vibe here.

8. tina

03/11/2015 at 1:24 pm

I love brand new rides. The perfect colors, the track without wheel marks, that “new coaster” smell. Marvelous, as my PE teacher would say, simply marvelous.

9. Matthew

03/12/2015 at 9:23 am

Scream looks great! I’ve been following this website for years and I’ve enjoyed the week by week construction updates on all the new rides dating back to the creation and construction of the Green Lantern. I go to Magic Mountain anywhere from 3 to 8 times a year. Unfortunately Magic Mountain has refused to run Scream with two trains over the last few years so I haven’t been on this great ride for years. I won’t go NEAR a ride that’s running one train at a time because the lines move at a CRAWL. A good rule of thumb at MM when you’re there is ALWAYS ask how many trains are running before you step into any coaster’s cue. You will save yourself a lot time and of frustration. Besides that, great website and I’m enjoying the updates on Twisted Colussus! I’ll be riding it during its inaugural week.

10. William (williamyamsters)

03/12/2015 at 12:28 pm

I can’t wait for them to announce screams new name! I know it’s getting a name change 100% but I don’t know yet..