UA-20143982-1 Twisted Colossus Construction Update #21 - The Coaster Guy
How to make money online

Twisted Colossus Construction Update #21

By on 04/12/2015

It’s been a few weeks since I’ve been able to stop by Six Flags Magic Mountain, so I took advantage of the beautiful weather today to go over and check in on the progress of the Twisted Colossus build. These photos were taken on April 12, 2015.

Nothing new to see in this first photo, but I sure do like the view. I suspect that many first time visitors to Magic Mountain will enjoy seeing the dueling coasters slipping through the High 5 element as they are walking in from the parking lot:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_01

Much of the existing white structure looks to be in really bad shape, but that’s just because most of the old paint came off from the power washing. Fresh paint is currently being applied and it will look like new in no time:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_02

They are going through the entire structure and shoring up any connection that may be questionable by adding new steel plates:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_03

The entire Top Gun Stall element, where the green track flips upside down over the top of the blue track, and then back again, has been completed. It looks like both tracks have been enveloped in a giant white cocoon. Check out how fast that green track flips upside down:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_20

By changing the contrast of the photo, it’s much easier to see not only the track, but also all of the steel bracing that had to be added to support the track:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_22

This is what the Top Gun Stall looks like from the side profile:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_18

After the Top Gun Stall, the blue track will transition into the dominant position and perform a Zero-G Roll over the top of the green track. You can already see the blue track start to rise up higher than the green track:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_16

Here’s a better photo of where the blue track starts the climb into the Zero-G Roll:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_05

With steel bracing heading every direction, it’s hard to tell what’s going where:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_15

If you look closely where the green track currently ends, you’ll see that one rail is securely attached to the connector pad on the support beam. However, the other side is clearly several inches off from it. I’m sure this is a common issue that they deal with, but I’m not sure how. I’m guessing that they use some sort of shims to seal the gaps:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_14

The support beams where the track will be installed next are already in place. Much like in the High 5 element, they are using custom steel supports. The rails for each track will connect to the two pads you see on the short angled pieces on each side of the beams:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_13

Since this will be where the blue track is coming out of the Zero-G Roll, you will notice the angle of each support beam decreasing, until they are once again horizontal close to the ground:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_12

There is still a bunch of colored track lying around, as seen in the previous photo, ready to be installed. However, I also noticed some round white columns that showed up. If anybody knows what these might be for, please leave a comment below and let us know:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_19

After the Zero-G Roll, both tracks will make their way up to the top of the second turn around, which is where most of the construction I saw today was happening. It looks like most of the steel support beams for this run have already been placed:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_06

The long section of green track you see above is the final brake run. It turns right to head back into the station, while the blue track will head back to the lift hill.

Two cranes and a couple of bucket lifts were in action while I was there today. It looked they they were adding both track and support beams.

SFMM_TCUpdate21_04

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again. With this side of Colossus being shaved down as much as it was, Scream looks so much taller than it did before, especially with that shiny new paint job:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_17

In the previous photo, you also get a slightly better view of what the blue track does after the Outward Banked Floater turn, prior to hitting the lift hill for the second time.

Both the green and blue tracks have pretty much been installed all the way around the second turn around. All that’s left is the Zero-G Roll and the straight run from there to here. They appear to be making remarkable time on this build:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_11

One of the new elements that I think is going to catch a lot of people off guard is the Outward Banked Floater on the blue track during the second turn around. The train will be banking hard to the left, but the track is angled to the right. I expect this to provide some ejector airtime, making it feel like you are going to be thrown from the train as it rounds the corner:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_09

This was one of the areas the guys were working on while I was there today:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_10

The green track looks like it’s buried inside of the structure through the turn:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_07

This looks like a lot more fun that a boring desk job:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_08

As I was just about to get in my car on the other side of the parking lot, I noticed that they were hoisting another steel support beam into place:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_21

I bet bad things happen if they cross the streams…errr, I mean beams:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_23

Sorry, maximum zoom equates to major blurriness without a tripod. This guy was helping to guide the new support beam into place:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_24

I was surprised at how fast the piece was disconnected and the crane was already moving off to perform its next duty:

SFMM_TCUpdate21_25

That’s it for this update. Aren’t they making awesome progress? I’m really crossing my fingers that everything will be ready in time for Memorial Day, if not sooner.

If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. Tanner

04/12/2015 at 9:17 pm

I totally thought when the green goes over the blue and when the blue goes over the green they were the same element. What is the difference between a top-gun stall and a zero-g roll?

• RollerCoasterLover

04/12/2015 at 9:25 pm

A top gun stall. Holds you upside down for a while, where a zero-g roll just does a twist, kinda like a barrel roll in surfing.

• Jairo

04/13/2015 at 3:33 pm

a zero-g-roll is that inversion that you see on scream in the background of the last picture…even though i think B&M calls that a barrel roll. I have experience the top gun stall on GOLIATH at Six Flags Great America its an awesome feeling cant wait to experience it again. now at my home park!

2. RollerCoasterLover

04/12/2015 at 9:23 pm

Awesome progress. The green side looks like it’s overbanking a little bit too. I can’t say for sure from the photo, but is it?

• RollerCoasterLover

04/12/2015 at 10:07 pm

Never mind, it’s not

3. ioio

04/12/2015 at 9:37 pm

I love that they changed the green stall to exit out the same direction it came in with… I’m hoping the blue outer banked turn isn’t too neutered from the POV video because of the MCBR prior to the green-side lift hill. Nice update!

4. Rhett

04/12/2015 at 9:53 pm

This is just a guess, but the white steel poles might be for added support columns. When RMC reconstructed the Texas Giant here at SFOT, they added steel support posts (painted brown to match the wooden beams) to provide extra support on the inside of the structure in various places, most notably around the overbanked turns.

5. Jordan

04/12/2015 at 10:29 pm

I believe those steel poles might be for the new LED light package that Twisted Colossus will be getting, of course my guess is as good as anyone else’s.

6. M. Smith

04/13/2015 at 5:18 am

Is Scream still closed? When is it expected to re-open?

• Insanitycoasters

04/13/2015 at 7:25 am

It will open along with TC

• RollerCoasterLover

04/13/2015 at 8:18 am

When TC opens, around Memorial Day

7. Davis S.

04/13/2015 at 7:05 am

Those steel white beams are rail ties. They were used on certain parts of Iron Rattler and New Texas Giant. Perfect example is the drop New Texas Giant.

8. JJJJ

04/13/2015 at 11:00 am

I really hate how short they made the Colossus. Im sure it will be a blast to ride, but the view from the parking lot and highway used to be iconic. Not so much now.

Also, that second picture does not inspire confidence to anyone walking into the park lol.

• RollerCoasterLover

04/13/2015 at 4:00 pm

its 4990 feet long, and the old one was only 4500. You do the circuit twice. Once on green, once on blue. Also, you are always either doing a cool element or an ejector airtime hill at all times. It packs a lot of stuff in there.

• JJJJ

04/16/2015 at 12:04 pm

I mean height. It was always an impressive sight. Now it looks small, even though it is long.

• Johnny

04/13/2015 at 8:16 pm

I don’t like it either. But let’s face it, it was needed. The old Colossus absolutely crawled through those huge turns, and that wouldn’t make for a very exciting ride in 2015, especially without a taller drop.

I love beautiful coasters, but that can’t compare with an exciting ride imo.

• James

04/13/2015 at 8:44 pm

Don’t forget, some of the most highly regarded coasters in the world (Maverick comes to mind) don’t top heights of 150 feet, and spend a lot of time maneuvering elements near the ground.

I get that the new view will take some getting used to, but I think after we get to ride Twisted Colossus, these little changes will be overlooked by the overall ride experience.

I would rather have an awesome ride that might not look that intimidating, than a mundane ride that looks awesome from a distance.

9. tina

04/13/2015 at 11:10 am

I am going to love the outward banked floater. Put your seatbelt a little bit loose and you literally fly through it. I was there 4/8 and 4/10 and Goliath was down both days so I didn’t get to look at TC on the park side. BTW, does anyone know what exactly is going on with Goliath? I talked to one of the park supervisors and she said that it will be down for 6 to 8 weeks if not longer and that they’re hoping that they can fix it by the opening of TC. She said something about replacing a part that broke and then I started thinking that it is was the lift hill chain. IDK but I hope Goliath is ok.

04/13/2015 at 12:09 pm

Yes, it was the lift hill chain that broke on Goliath. The ETA you were given for the fix sounds about right.

10. josh.f

04/13/2015 at 12:34 pm

Love the pretzel out of the top gun stall, good choice….I call it that because in skateboarding/snowboarding spinning one direction on a feature and spinning out the opposite direction is called ‘pretzle’

11. Mike 44

04/13/2015 at 10:06 pm

I am excited for TC!! I wish they would have kept the Scream color Scheme the same as before.

• RollerCoasterLover

04/14/2015 at 8:11 am

Really? I like the new color scheme. But, no one’s opinion is wrong. Both of our opinions are right.

12. Pingback: Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 12 Apr 2015