UA-20143982-1 Twisted Colossus Construction Update #22 - The Coaster Guy
How to make money online

Twisted Colossus Construction Update #22

By on 04/19/2015

When watching a roller coaster be built, it sometimes feels like weeks go by where there doesn’t appear to be any work being done. Other times, you can’t figure out how they did as much work as they did in a week. This past week definitely fell into the latter category with regards to the Twisted Colossus coaster being built at Six Flags Magic Mountain. They accomplished far more than most people expected. In fact, every piece of track has now been installed and the entire circuit is now complete.

It’s a nice sight pulling into the park and seeing that every piece of track now has a permanent home somewhere atop the white wooden structure:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 18

The element that didn’t exist last week, that most people thought might take a bit of time to install, is the zero-g roll on the blue track. However, as you can clearly see, it’s done and looks fantastic:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 17

Unlike the Top Gun stall installed last week (see construction update #21), where the green track inverts over the top of the blue track, the zero-g roll has the blue track inverting over the top of the green track:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 10

People keep asking me the difference between the Top Gun stall and the zero-g roll. The Top Gun stall is where the track rolls 180 degrees to an upside down position, hangs there for a moment, then rolls 180 degrees in the opposite direction, returning to an upright position. The zero-g roll is a complete 360 degree roll in one direction, done in a way that makes you feel weightless for a moment, hence the name “zero-g” roll.

The zero-g roll appears to be fairly high, with the green track slightly angled below it:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 5

Here is the Top Gun stall on the left, immediately feeding into the zero-g stall on the right:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 6

Right after the zero-g roll, both tracks head up into a double-up element:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 7

Here is a shot of the double-up from the side:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 9

Standing way back, you can see the zero-g roll leading right into the double-up:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 23

Here’s a different angle, better showing the double-up for both tracks:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 1

After the double-up, there is a slight dip before the turn around:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 20

The blue track turn has what is called an Outward Banked Floater. The train will lean to the right as the track is turning to the left, hopefully providing a pop of ejector airtime. The green track remains flat as it navigates the turn:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 8

The entire corner has the blue track going through the double-up, around the outward banked floater, and dipping back down through a brake run before heading back up the lift hill for the second lap. After the double-up, the green track navigates the corner and then right into the final brake run before returning to the station:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 12

As you can see from the multiple cranes and bucket lifts, the work is far from done just because all of the track has been installed:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 19

There were workers everywhere, including these guys working up high on the track:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 4

There were workers working out of the bucket lifts on the track:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 13

These guys were working on the track down low. The guy with the hammer was going to town on something, making quite a bit of noise in the process:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 3

Sparks were flying as this guy was cutting some track pieces to fit:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 14

There were even forklift loads of wood being moved around:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 2

It looks like some more steel support bracing has arrived:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 15

It doesn’t look like the station is going to change much, other than getting a new color scheme. It has already received a fresh coat of blue paint:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 22

Did you notice the new gears on Gearworks Theater in the background above?

It looks like there might be a bunch of activity going on inside the station, however my little point and shoot camera couldn’t quite pick it up from the parking lot:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 21

Now that all of the track pieces have been installed, hopefully it won’t be very long before we see all three of these beauties dropping people at the exact same time:

SFMM_TCUpdate22_ - 16

Now that we’re getting so close, are you getting excited? I sure am! Leave a comment below on when you expect to visit the park and ride Twisted Colossus for the very first time. I’ll be there on opening day, of course!

If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. dena

04/19/2015 at 10:18 pm

I would love to go opening day

2. Dane

04/19/2015 at 10:20 pm

Is there an eta on the ride being finished?

04/19/2015 at 10:34 pm

Nope, just guesses at this point. My guess is that it’ll be open in time for Memorial Day weekend.

3. Dean Porter

04/19/2015 at 11:14 pm

Is there a way to get into media day if your not with the press or people like you

4. Justin Portillo

04/19/2015 at 11:17 pm

I will go when the Season Pass Holders could go and I will go for the opening day!!!!!!! So excited and k wonder when will it open though???

04/20/2015 at 12:24 am

Looking at the new blue roof on the station, I’ll bet that the brown trim will be painted green—or at least a part of it will—to go with the track colors.

From the looks of it, the video didn’t do justice to the actual ride that we’re getting. And I’ll say it again: I’m glad we didn’t get the standard orange-red track that the other RMC coasters got. Ours is definitely unique.

Construction of this ride is really flying along and I can’t wait to take a ride on it.

6. James

04/20/2015 at 1:23 am

Imagine if you got a photo of both Twisted Colossus trains, Goliath, Superman, AND Lex Luther all operating at the same time. That would be 6 trains going at once! And if both sides of Superman were racing, 7! Will probably never happen, but if you think about it that’s A LOT to be going on in one shot!

Thanks so much for the photo’s Kurt, top notch as always. Twisted Colossus looks unique and absolutely phenomenal. Not sure if I’ll be there on opening day, but I’ll sure to get up there sometime this summer because this is definitely a ride I’m going to want to check out!

• ioio

04/20/2015 at 3:58 am

I was just about to mention… it’s 4 rides being dropped all at once, not 3 🙂

• Samuel

04/20/2015 at 11:13 am

They are gonna do that on opening day, thats what they do when any new coaster opens.

• tina

04/20/2015 at 12:51 pm

No, 7 if both sides of Superman run together.

• tina

04/20/2015 at 12:53 pm

Oops! didn’t read the whole thing!! 🙁

7. Jerome Weiss

04/20/2015 at 8:28 am

This is a though report. One of your top reports yet. I’m glad Magic Mountain took a year off building anything big last year. Looks like they where able to plan out an exiting new area.

Off topic. Did you every find a good located for a park?
    Also are you going to Knott’s Iron reef opening day on May 13th?

8. tina

04/20/2015 at 12:48 pm

I went to SFMM yesterday and was completely blown away when I saw that TC was a full circuit. Also while I was there, I was riding Drop of Doom and I happened to notice that they finally put in a stair case that leads from the restaurant area to the ride entrance. Trust me I have ben waiting so long for them to put a stair case there so that you don’t have to go all the way around the island of trees and shrubs. While I was up in the air I also noticed that the orange, blue, and purple train cars were just hanging out in the scream plaza. I was so excited after seeing this that I lost track of how long I had been up there so my excitement was increased by a VERY surprising drop to my doom. I can’t wait until opening day of TC!!

9. Pingback: 2015 Neuheit: Twisted Colossus (Hybrid Coaster, RMC) @ Six Flags Magic Mountain - Seite 10

10. J.D. W.

04/21/2015 at 6:13 pm

Isn’t TC’s Top Gun Stall going to roll 180 degrees to an upside down position, hang there for a moment, & then roll 180 degrees BACK in the same direction, returning to its upright position?

04/21/2015 at 6:19 pm

Yup, just like I said.

• J.D. W.

04/21/2015 at 7:54 pm

I guess it’s the way I’m understanding “same” & “opposite” – no biggie. I can’t wait to ride it & write my magazine article!

11. RollerCoasterLover

04/21/2015 at 7:47 pm

According to some pictures on six flags magic mountain twitter, three of the four trains are on the track in the maintenance area. Testing should begin in the next week!

12. josh.f

04/21/2015 at 7:59 pm

^^ almost word for word.

13. Chris Scopp

04/21/2015 at 10:05 pm

When is opening day? I want a ride as soon as possible!!

04/22/2015 at 5:19 am

We still don’t know yet. No word from the park.

• Chris Scopp

04/28/2015 at 12:06 pm

When you find out, let me know and I’ll meet your there!!

14. tina

04/22/2015 at 1:08 pm

Coaster Guy, I’m going to Knott’s over the weekend and I was wondering if you would like me to take some pictures of Voyage to the Iron Reef and send them to you. I don’t have internet at home so I could get the pics to you by Monday.

15. RollerCoasterLover

04/27/2015 at 10:21 pm

WHEN WILL IT START TESTING ???
    Im really jealous of new england cause wicked cyclone started testing today.