UA-20143982-1 Twisted Colossus Construction Update #23 - The Coaster Guy
How to make money online

Twisted Colossus Construction Update #23

By on 04/29/2015

First and foremost: Twisted Colossus will open to the public on May 23, 2015!

Now that we got that out of the way, we can move on to the update. Six Flags Magic Mountain was kind enough to have me and several of my blogger and media colleagues out to the park today for the last backstage tour of Twisted Colossus and the new Screampunk District before it makes it’s public debut just a few weeks from now. These photos were taken on Wednesday, April 29th.

During our last backstage tour about a month ago, the track was only about halfway through the Top Gun Stall element. That has since been completed and looks fantastic! We started the tour by strolling down the side of the coaster, next to the parking lot:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 4

With most of the coaster build complete, the inside of the structure is now very clean:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 12

With curves like this, there’s no doubt why it’s called Twisted Colossus:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 14

I’m not sure there’s a straight piece of track to be found on this coaster:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 13

Here is the completed Top Gun Stall on the green track:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 10

Which then leads directly into the zero-g roll for the blue track:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 11

This is looking backwards into the zero-g roll from under the track:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 6

After the zero-g roll, both tracks lead up into a double-up element:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 9

I had never noticed this before, but in addition to being bolted together, the track connections also appear to be welded together:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 7

Here’s a close-up of how the track connects to a standard support rail:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 8

All of the electrical and mechanicals for the lift hill have been completed and are operational. There is also a new stairway that leads up to the catwalk on the inside of the structure:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 5

Not related to Twisted Colossus, but as we were walking back to the station I couldn’t help but notice the park’s training center was getting a fresh new paint job:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 2

Our next stop was to see the work being done on the station:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 15

There’s a lot of open space around the station that I don’t think they are going to use for anything. It’s a shame if they can’t come up with something to do with it:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 16

The inside of the station will pretty much be how it was. One major change will be a wall built all the way down the length of the station, between these posts and the striped section you see here, blocking off everything to the right. They don’t think they’ll need the space for a queue as they expect the line to move at a decent pace:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 18

The first test train was sent around the track yesterday, so the operator’s panel is fully functional. It was even on today and several lights were flashing:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 21

Speaking of trains, the blue and purple trains were sitting majestically on the storage track, soaking up the sun rays today:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 17

The orange train, the one they’re using for testing, was sitting on the transfer track:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 19

The green train is due to arrive in late May, but they don’t need it to open. It won’t be needed for some time, when one of the other trains needs to be serviced.

The transfer track slides back and forth to three sets of storage track, allowing the park to move trains in and out of service:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 20

There is a great view of the second half of the coaster from the station, but it won’t be around for long. The park is going to eventually build a building around the storage track, protecting the trains from the elements. Three trains will fit on the storage tracks and one in the station, keeping them all safe during inclement weather:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 22

We were supposed to get to watch a test cycle of the train today during the tour, but there was some track work that needed to be done and it took precedent, so we didn’t get to see it. However, later in the afternoon, our friends over at Park Journey happened to catch a train run a full cycle from the parking lot. Check it out:

The front of the station will look pretty much the same as it did before, with some minor cosmetic changes and a new color scheme:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 24

These two square holes in the ground are for the new ride sign. It will be like a giant arch that you will pass underneath to enter the station:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 25

The regular stand-by line will enter down the left side in the above photo, with ADA and Flash Pass guests entering down the right side.

The entire area in front of the station is now just one giant concrete plaza. It reminds me of the Full Throttle Plaza, but without the in-ground misters. I’m not sure why they got rid of all the trees. I sense that it’s going to get very hot through here:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 27

All of the magenta fencing around the Scream station is being painted blue:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 3

Even the ugly green fencing in the area is being painted shiny blue, and the landscapers were hard at work trimming bushes and getting new plants in the ground:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 23

The new concrete stairs leading up to the food location look great. I think the “twisted” bushes flanking each side are a very cool touch:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 26

Lots of work being done on the new Twisted ‘Wiches sandwich shop:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 29

The park still won’t say what will take the place of the old Coca-Cola Cool Zone, other than it’s going to be a surprise:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 28

Considering it was a Coca-Cola vending location, I wouldn’t be surprised if they did something similar to what Kings Island used to have, an updated version of what was there:

(Via https://www.flickr.com/photos/markalan928/511572257/)

(Via https://www.flickr.com/photos/markalan928/511572257/)

The area bathrooms are finally getting some much needed love:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 32

The newly named Gearworks Theater façade looks nearly complete. The marquee looks like all that is left to finish, which is what they were working on today:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 33

There are a lot of neat steampunk theming elements being added to the area:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 31

I like the ones with the gauges best:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 30

The new portal entrance to the area looks like it’s ready for its sign and lights:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 34

Just a few more weeks and these walls will finally come down:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 35

I’m not sure if this is even related or not, but I saw it on the way out and thought it was very steampunk-ish looking. Maybe it’s the new ride op panel for Scream:

SFMM_TCUpdate23_ - 1

Again, thanks to our friends at Park Journey, here’s a highlight video of today’s tour:

That’s it for this update. Are you as excited as I am? I can’t wait to ride this thing!! Who all is going to be there on opening weekend with me?

If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. Ryan

04/29/2015 at 9:29 pm

Amazing

2. Rhett

04/29/2015 at 9:34 pm

My friends and I are flying out to LA on Saturday, the 23rd and I’m so excited to see that it’s scheduled to open that weekend! We will be visiting the park a few days after we arrive – probably on the following Tuesday. Can’t wait to ride this!

Thanks for all of the updates, Kurt – you’ve kept me informed and on the edge of my seat for the last 6 months. 🙂

04/29/2015 at 9:55 pm

Twisted Colossus is looking very good… and Wicked Cyclone is also looking good too. Hopefully Georgia Cyclone and The Boss wood coasters could be next to receive the RMC treatment.

As for the empty space near TC loading station… I would kind of wonder if that could be enough room for a new flat ride attraction. Hopefully 2016 could be a flat rides year for Six Flags Magic Mountain. Good flat ride ideas… a Frisbee type ride, a Tsunami Soaker/Aqua Twist, or a Larson Super-Loop.

• ioio

04/29/2015 at 10:38 pm

Not sure if there’s enough room for it, but a dark ride would be super appreciated if it fits 🙂 More trees/shading though :/

04/30/2015 at 12:22 am

I like the dark ride idea too… Justice League: Battle For Metropolis would be good.

• RollerCoasterLover

05/01/2015 at 7:32 am

Justice league battle for metropolis would not fit well in the steampunk theme

• Dylan Sslada

07/30/2015 at 12:31 pm

What I really want SFMM to get the most is a Tsunami Soaker. I wonder which section of the park they’d put it.

4. Jorge

04/29/2015 at 11:01 pm

do you think that there will be preferred seating or you wont have a choice similar to full throttle?

04/30/2015 at 6:52 am

I’m sure they’re going to assign you to a row, at least for awhile, to ensure maximum efficiency and throughput.

5. Marcus L.

04/30/2015 at 2:32 am

Wow almost no shade in the whole area that’s gonna suck cause I’m going June 11th for my birthday hopefully it’s not in the upper 100’s

04/30/2015 at 6:53 am

If it gets to be in the upper 100’s, shade isn’t going to matter. We’re all screwed at that point.

• Peter M

05/03/2015 at 2:17 pm

Haha!

6. josh.f

04/30/2015 at 9:02 am

Nice…train seems to hold its speed very well through the circuit

7. Tim

04/30/2015 at 9:05 am

Man! My wife and I are going to be at the park the weekend before it opens to the public. I figured all along that it wouldn’t be opened by the time we’re there, but it just makes it worse that it’s only a week later. I guess I’ll have to wait till fall to ride it.

8. gary

04/30/2015 at 9:25 am

See you at opening! Any idea of ride height 48″ or 54″?

04/30/2015 at 4:57 pm

I’m sure it’ll be 48″. That’s what Goliath is at SFGAm and it uses the same trains.

• RollerCoasterLover

05/01/2015 at 7:33 am

The park says its 48

9. robert

04/30/2015 at 1:26 pm

You didn’t get a picture of tornado inside Hurrican Harbor. It was painted with the same colors as scream. I guess to tie it into the area.

04/30/2015 at 4:58 pm

I’ve already posted several pictures of it with the new colors in previous posts and on various social networks.

• tina

05/05/2015 at 12:42 pm

Now you can call it Scream! junior.

10. James

04/30/2015 at 2:19 pm

Opening day is the same day as my senior prom haha! Hopefully I can go on that Sunday.

11. Kevin

04/30/2015 at 4:41 pm

Will pass-holders get a sneak peek? Does anyone know the capacity? I can see the lines now but at least this will take the pressure off some of the other rides’s lines.

04/30/2015 at 5:00 pm

No word on a preview or capacity yet. Don’t hold your breath on shorter lines elsewhere. A new coaster opening brings in a ton more people!!

12. Casey

04/30/2015 at 4:43 pm

I’m gonna TRY to go opening day, but knowing what it’s usually like on Memorial Day Weekend, PLUS it being the opening of TC, I don’t think I’ll have much of a chance of riding it.

13. Anthony

04/30/2015 at 5:36 pm

I bet the surprise in the old vending machine spot is going to be their old steam tractor, it was sitting behind colossus during fright fest and when I was there last month for a job interview I saw it in piece getting repainted and restored. So my money is that it’s going to go there.

04/30/2015 at 8:09 pm

OMG…you totally nailed it! I knew that tractor was being steampunked, but I forgot all about it. That would fit perfect right there. Good call!!

• RollerCoasterLover

05/01/2015 at 7:39 am

I’m gunna guess it’s a new ride. They won’t care if you know about like a tractor or whatever, but they dont want you to know about a new ride until they announce it to the public. The ride would go behind that area. The only thing behind there is a parkiing lot that no one uses.

• Ryan

05/18/2015 at 8:51 pm

It is the tractor n it looks good. Whole area looks cool. Great ride n glad I got to ride it cuz it’s gonna easily be a 3-4 hour wait

14. BDNeon

04/30/2015 at 10:25 pm

What a surprise, Magic Mountain forgets about shade yet again. They massacre most of the foliage cover around Ninja and Jetstream, you go on a water ride like Jetstream to cool off but spend so much time just sitting exposed to the sun on the lift you’re almost hotter when you get off then you were getting on now. And now that nice shady area in front of Colossus is another concrete frying pan.

Why do theme parks keep neglecting the matter of shade? Magic Mountain is especially guilty but I’ve noticed Disney parks and Universal Studios also tend to forget about shade with their newer areas. It’s like all the park designers stopped caring about it after the 80s ended.

• James

05/01/2015 at 5:23 pm

I agree. Seems like a broken record, but I almost *don’t* look forward to this park re-themeing areas simply because what they put in seems to be less than what they took out (Full Throttle). Doesn’t look to be the case with this re-theme, however, as it looks like they are actually spending money on some sort of steampunk props around the ride.

However, I hate the removal of trees and the expansion of hot concrete with no shade. Trees give the illusion of immersion, and now it seems you can see more of the parking lot from inside Screampunk area than ever before. This will now be 2 huge plazas right next to eachother (Scream and Colossus) with seas of concrete. The new plants and shrubbery are nice, but would it really hurt to incorporate some strategically placed planters in the huge plazas with some nice new shady trees?

• BDNeon

05/03/2015 at 5:07 pm

The google maps street view for the park predates the Full Throttle massacre of the High Sierra territory, it’s depressing seeing how beautiful that area used to be.

15. Screamer

05/01/2015 at 12:51 pm

Do you know if Scream will reopen the same time, or will it open before then? I will be there for the first time just before the long weekend (darn!) and would love to not miss out on Scream too (now that Goliath is down too and all…)

05/01/2015 at 1:29 pm

Sorry, but that entire area of the park, including Scream, is walled off until the grand opening.

16. josh.f

05/01/2015 at 3:11 pm

Speaking of rides down…whatever happened with Tatsu?

• Scott C

05/01/2015 at 3:53 pm

It was open today.

17. rollercoasterpics004

05/01/2015 at 5:47 pm

It would be really cool if they incorporated some misters into the small details on the walkway, with maybe even a button-queued show. Using the fourth-to-last image as an example, you could press a button on the railing, the gauges would all spin to max, and it would blow out steam from the end and several holes in the pipe. Not only would it add to the theming, it would be great for cooling off on the hot summer days The Mountain is notorious for. But knowing Six Flags, thats not going to happen.

18. tina

05/05/2015 at 12:54 pm

Do you know if there will be photos taken on the ride and also I wanted you to conclude a rumor that Neil Patrick Harris will be the host of the grand opening. Great update BTW, cant wait to ride!!!

05/05/2015 at 3:31 pm

I can confirm that there will be an on-ride photo system, however we don’t know where the cameras will be yet. I haven’t heard anything about NPH being at the grand opening. Seems far-fetched. I know he loves theme parks, but I’m not sure that he has any ties into SFMM. I don’t see much of a connection there.

19. JJJJ

05/05/2015 at 1:34 pm

“I’m not sure why they got rid of all the trees. I sense that it’s going to get very hot through here”

Because the people at HQ never actually go to the park and wait in lines. They have no connection to the public. It really is sad. Im sure on some computer screen the plaza looks nice, but these big empty spaces are a nightmare in real life.

20. LikeGreenLantern

05/05/2015 at 5:15 pm

I was thinking, and well, what if TC malfunctions one day and stalls at the same time. I know the odds are probably better getting hit by a meteor than that, but just something on my mind I wanted to share. Also Eric, before TC was announced you said one of the only water fountains are near by TC, do you know if that’s still there?

• Dane

05/05/2015 at 8:20 pm

I don’t understand what your saying with TC stalling.

21. LikeGreenLantern

05/05/2015 at 5:19 pm

PS, do you think the landscapists are just mindlessly doing what they’re doing, or have another motive such as bug control or a new policy? That should be it.

22. Dane

05/05/2015 at 8:25 pm

I have a question, will the two parts of the coaster actually run in sync or was that just for shown in the release video.

23. Ryan

05/06/2015 at 8:59 pm

24. josh.f

05/07/2015 at 7:24 am

I see you saw a dueling test…how well to the trains pace eachother?

25. Mike Christianson

05/07/2015 at 3:50 pm

How crowded will it be for the opening day of May 23rd?

• Ryan