UA-20143982-1 Twisted Colossus Media Day at Six Flags Magic Mountain
How to make money online

Twisted Colossus Media Day At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 05/21/2015

After roughly nine months of hard work, Six Flags Magic Mountain finally unveiled its brand new roller coaster, Twisted Colossus, as well as an entire new theme to the land in which it sits, dubbed the Screampunk District. Media Day was held on Wednesday, May 20th, and we got to see everything they have been working on.

The event started just on the outside of the construction wall, with anticipation running very high:

SFMM_TCMedia - 13

The Street Drum Corps was doing a great job entertaining the invited guests by banging away on their barrels, pans, and buckets. They sounded really good:

SFMM_TCMedia - 12

With a flourish of steam, the wall opened and let us in:

SFMM_TCMedia - 14

The all new ScreamPunk District is “What the past would look like if the future had happened sooner.” There were all kinds of fun street entertainers that fit well into the new theme, like this juggler:

SFMM_TCMedia - 44

I’m not exactly sure what this is. A stilt walker, riding a tricycle, while covered in umbrellas? (I see you, Michael Turco!):

SFMM_TCMedia - 11

The exterior refurbishment of the old Magic Moments Theatre looks really nice. Now known as Gearworks Theatre, it plays host to a brand new show this year called Kwerk:

SFMM_TCMedia - 45

I haven’t been a very big fan of the colors chosen for the theatre, but now that I see the finished product, complete with some steampunk elements, it doesn’t look too shabby. They still wouldn’t have been my first choice of colors, but it does work:

SFMM_TCMedia - 33

The side of the theatre now has a few spots for advertising banners:

SFMM_TCMedia - 32

The windows further down the side of the theater each have the name of a fictional business, just like some of the windows did prior to the new paint job. I’m also going to guess that each one of these corresponds to an actual employee of the park. For example, Bonnie’s Boutique is likely a tip of the hat to Six Flags Magic Mountain’s President, Bonnie Rabjohn:

SFMM_TCMedia - 10

The refurbished food location will now be a gourmet sandwich shop called Twisted ‘Wiches. It wasn’t open yet, but should be by the time the area opens to the public:

SFMM_TCMedia - 38

As we rounded the corner on our way to the opening ceremony, we saw the reason we were all there, the brand new Twisted Colossus roller coaster. They preserved much of the original station, but it did have a very nice new sign:

SFMM_TCMedia - 43

In front of the station was a mobile retail operation:

SFMM_TCMedia - 2

There wasn’t a ton of Twisted Colossus merchandise, but some is better than none:

SFMM_TCMedia - 1

The opening ceremony took place on the side of the coaster, next to the parking lot:

SFMM_TCMedia - 15

Bonnie Rabjohn, SFMM Park President, took the stage and welcomed everyone to the official unveiling of yet another world record breaking roller coaster:

SFMM_TCMedia - 16

She invited some very special guests up on stage to join her; the three Bernards brothers, the general contractors who built the original Colossus, and Fred Grubb, founder of Rocky Mountain Construction who transformed Colossus into Twisted Colossus:

SFMM_TCMedia - 17

They all joined in flipping the lever to “Twisted” to launch the first official trains:

SFMM_TCMedia - 18

Once activated, all eyes were up on the lift hill:

SFMM_TCMedia - 19

Here come the first two official Twisted Colossus trains, up the lift hill:

SFMM_TCMedia - 20

Once at the top, gravity will do the rest:

SFMM_TCMedia - 30

Both trains about to shoot up the second (third?) hill:

SFMM_TCMedia - 31

After going through the High Five element, the green track crosses over the top of the blue track as it goes through a Double Down element. Meanwhile the blue track dives underneath, through a wicked series of head choppers:

SFMM_TCMedia - 27

With an explosion of fireworks, both trains explode past the viewing area:

SFMM_TCMedia - 21

And just like that, Boom! goes the confetti:

SFMM_TCMedia - 22

Here’s a great photo of all the VIPs on stage. From left to right: Greg Bernards (Bernards), Doug Bernards (Bernards), Fred Grubb (RMC), Bonnie Rabjohn (SFMM), and Jeff Bernards (Bernards):

SFMM_TCMedia - 23

After the opening ceremony, we were invited to hang out along the side of the coaster to take photos as the trains passed by:

SFMM_TCMedia - 24

This train is going over a small airtime hill right before the Zero-G roll:

SFMM_TCMedia - 28

Same train as it enters the Zero-G roll:

SFMM_TCMedia - 25

Lastly, it headed up the Double Up element before returning to the lift hill:

SFMM_TCMedia - 29

The Stand-by entrance to the station is on the left, while the Flash Pass, ADA, and Single Rider (YES!!!) entrance is on the right:

SFMM_TCMedia - 3

This device was crucial in the building of Twisted Colossus:

SFMM_TCMedia - 4

Lots of nice signs adorn the station queue:

SFMM_TCMedia - 5

There are lots of whimsical steampunk elements all over the area:

SFMM_TCMedia - 7

This can be found in between the two queue lines:

SFMM_TCMedia - 6

More signage with lots of facts and figures can be found along the queue walls:

SFMM_TCMedia - 8

This is me getting ready to enjoy yet another ride on Twisted Colossus:

SFMM_TCMedia - 40

Lots of familiar faces: Tom, Robert, Kevin, Matt, and Gregg:

SFMM_TCMedia - 9

There is a video of me riding Twisted Colossus below.

I ran into a couple of Colossus celebrities. Both Bryan and Nicole are part of the Colossus Six, having survived a 36 hour marathon on the original Colossus:

SFMM_TCMedia - 39

Switching gears back to the Gearworks Theatre (see what I did there?), we were given a sneak preview of the new Kwerk show. It’s a collection of some very talented performers, amazing us with their skills, all with a steampunk vibe. The stage looked wonderful:

SFMM_TCMedia - 34

The show was produced by Michael Turco, the magician extraordinaire who amazed us with his talents on this same stage the past two summers:

SFMM_TCMedia - 35

The girl performing the aerial feats with nothing but a couple of long pieces of silk was breathtaking:

SFMM_TCMedia - 36

I don’t want to give too much away, so you need to go see it yourself. Don’t miss this show! Every performer does an amazing job:

SFMM_TCMedia - 37

As you’re watching the show, keep an eye out for something nostalgic from the park’s past. I spotted it right away. Can you?

Outside, there were more street performers. This lady was not only laying on a bed of nails, but she also shoved one of the long spikes all the way down one of her nasal cavities:

SFMM_TCMedia - 42

One of my favorite moments of the day was when I “accidentally” crashed a recording of The Season Pass Podcast. There is some serious coaster nerd energy in this photo. From left to right, it’s me, Duane Marden (RCDB), Doug Barnes (The Season Pass Podcast), Chris (ACE), Tom Zeliff (NoLimits), and Robert Coker (Thrill Ride):

SFMM_TCMedia - 41

Last but not least, here is an on-ride video of me narrating the entire layout of the coaster in real time:

Twisted Colossus will open to the public on Saturday, May 23rd. Based on our early preview, and many, many rides, Six Flags Magic Mountain has hit it out of the park with this coaster. Lines will be long, so make sure you take your patience with you when you get in line. If you’ve already ridden it, what are your thoughts on it?

If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. Rob Kral

05/22/2015 at 12:22 am

Um….
    1) Spoken like a true Coaster professional throughout (AWESOME!)
    2) You are having way too much fun 🙂

Well done Coaster Guy!!!

05/22/2015 at 12:37 am

Thank you! I’m glad I mic’d myself up, because their audio left a lot to be desired.

2. Scott C.

05/22/2015 at 9:46 am

Great POV. You always amaze me how you stay so calm doing these. I am here right now, anxious to ride!

3. robert

05/22/2015 at 1:09 pm

I got to ride this yesterday. Great job by SFMM. Very smooth ride and the top gun stall section is awesome. Was going to ride again, but they were only running one train and I didn’t want to wait for another hour.

Dispatch to dispatch with one train was about 8 minutes. Good job though by the employees making sure all seats were filled so 24 people were getting out with each train. It always makes me mad when SFMM sends out half full, or half empty, trains.

4. tina

05/22/2015 at 2:15 pm

I rode 5/21 and it was awesome!!!! Also, it was great to finally meet you Kurt! I was the girl with the SUPER bright neon green shirt.

05/22/2015 at 2:28 pm

It was nice to meet you too, Tina! Did you see the video of your train being dispatched on Instagram?

• tina

05/22/2015 at 3:00 pm

YESSSS!!!!!!!!

5. josh.f

05/22/2015 at 6:14 pm

Too much time spent on the lift hill(s)..New and exciting but I don’t think it was all that

• Ellex k.

05/24/2015 at 11:27 pm

My feelings exactly Josh. I rode with another member of ACE and we still remember how great Colossus was during the PTC years. What SFMM should have done with TC. And that is to install LIMS and line Staters along the lift hill like Maverick at Cedar Point giving the trains a faster ascent. That would make that part of the ride more exciting and with some fine tuning I’m sure SFMM could still get the trains to race. Best part of TC is the Top Gun Stall.

• Johnny

06/01/2015 at 5:36 pm

Do not agree…at all. This is perhaps the most fun ride added to SFMM in over 20 years. It reminds me of when CP added Maverick. Fun yet intense, with a break in the middle.

Top Gun Stall is great, but that element cannot compete with the airtime all over this ride.

05/22/2015 at 6:34 pm

I saw myself on the other train as you were catching up to it on the lift hill. What a fun ride that is! Nice seeing you at media day, Kurt!

7. Roger

05/23/2015 at 7:21 am

Kurt, thanks for letting me ride with you on the POV shot. It’s an insane ride! The Park has a hit on their hands.

8. Jimmy

05/23/2015 at 8:34 am

Your update was worth the wait Kurt. Thanks so much for always being ours eyes and ears and taking the time to update us even though you’re so busy with your personal life. I truly do appreciate it very much. Twisted Colossus is definitely one for the books and I can’t wait to ride it.

05/23/2015 at 8:45 am

It’s hearing comments like this that make it all worthwhile for me. Thank you! And thank all of you for your patience and understanding when it takes me a little while to get something posted. 🙂

9. BDNeon

05/23/2015 at 12:28 pm

SINGLE RIDER LINE. YESSSSSS.

Now if only they’d use that staircase up to the station across from the Tatsu photo counter as a single rider line…

10. Nicole

05/23/2015 at 3:28 pm

Excellent job! Your insight & in-depth writing makes you my favorite person to get all the coaster scoop from.

Hopefully I can take a trip down from AZ soon! 🙂

11. jose

05/23/2015 at 4:14 pm

Any idea when goliath will be opened? Im going on june 12 do you think i should change the date??

05/23/2015 at 6:15 pm

I’m hearing mid to late June, so the 12th might not be good if you want to ride it.

12. Pingback: Twisted Colossus Grand Opening and First Impressions | PureCoaster

13. Sam S

05/23/2015 at 6:20 pm

I’m so so so so impressed with SFMM! They made an over the top ride as usual and a surprisingly awesome themed area! If they keep this up and keep the park clean, I believe that they could get to a Cedar Fair level. Also, I cannot describe how happy I am about Single Rider! That is so so so so so awesome and amazing!
    Thanks Kurt! Awesome job as always.

14. Rory L. Aronsky

05/23/2015 at 11:52 pm

Could you suggest this to the Six Flags powers-that-be?:

15. Katie

05/24/2015 at 12:03 am

the circus acts are a nice bonus. Any idea how often and when the performers will be active in the Screampunk District? I can’t even find a schedule for the Gearworks theatre let alone any indication when the performers will be around doing crowd work. I really love that Magic Mountain is bringing in more and more live entertainment but I wish there was more info on it. Also, anyone know if Alan Schilke has been on hand for all the debut stuff?

05/24/2015 at 6:42 am

I think the street performers are just roving. There is no schedule. If you look at the giant Kwerk sign on the front of the theater, the show times are displayed in a big, bold font. You should also be able to pickup a show schedule at Guest Relations. No sign of Alan that I know of.

• Katie

05/24/2015 at 8:28 am

Thanks! I just took a closer look at the photo of the theatre for the Kwerk show times. Can’t wait to check it out on Mon.

• RollerCoasterCentral

05/25/2015 at 12:39 pm

As of the other day, Alan Schilke is in Massachusetts for the opening of Wicked Cyclone.

16. josh.f

05/24/2015 at 12:22 pm

Now only if they’ll stay open later and bring back concerts we’d have ourselves a world class theme park.

17. BDNeon

05/27/2015 at 9:17 am

There was a pretty significant breakdown on May 26th on Twisted Colossus about a half hour before park closing at 7:30, a train stalled on the lift hill after completing its second lap while the other train was coming into the station (They were also only running 2 trains, one of the staff said the fourth hasn’t arrived yet and the third was being worked on). After an hour and a half of waiting while workers were seen patrolling around the pre-station brake run and around the stalled train on the lift hill with flashlights, with the sirens for the lift hill being restarted going off at a few points, they finally told us that X2 and Tatsu were running and allowing riders from Twisted Colossus on for those who decided waiting longer would be pointless, at about 9:00, an hour after closing.

I’m not sure if they ever got it running, since I decided to cut my losses and head for Tatsu (I can always come back any day I want after all, I’m just 10 minutes from the park ^^), and after a quick hike over there, I heard over the ride-ops supervisor radio that X2 was Ten-Seven (Broken Down). Squeezed 2 rides out of Tatsu by switching rows since they’d have to depart the train for those waiting in line anyway, upon arrival after the second ride though they made it clear there were no re-rides despite a single group waiting to board and the other lanes empty. Ran over to X2 to pretend I was one of the slow walkers from Colossus, found them still trying to jostle one of the rotating seats into position physically, at about 9:30, they eventually got it running, and they gave us 2 rides in a row after a “one-more-time!” chant. The Single Rider Line for Colossus was still denied use, apparently they are worried about the angry ignorant guests who dont realize the people in that line are filling seats that would otherwise be empty.

It’s a ridiculous situation. Park management clearly doesn’t have the maintenance staff they need to get rides operational, nor have they taken adequate measures to prepare for the sort of demand Twisted Colossus would experience in its opening week. Running 2 trains already? The ride-ops crew were fairly valiant and cavalier about the whole thing, but one of the security guards made it plainly clear that management was doing a very poor job of things. When I worked there in 2008 it was largely the same. They seem to turn-over managers as quickly as they turn over their seasonal employees.

• BDNeon

05/27/2015 at 9:18 am

*after completing its first lap

• BDNeon

05/27/2015 at 9:20 am

Plus, I had a giant spike of metal tearing a nice hole in my tire on my bicycle when I got out of the park at 10:00 PM. So yeah. Lotta sucky things happened that night.

18. tina

05/27/2015 at 1:00 pm

TC is such an awesome ride!! I also got to see Kwerk and I didn’t see the nostalgic thing you were talking about, Kurt. I’ll just go see it again and look harder. I also got to meet Charles that comments here and a few other coaster enthusiasts as well.

• BDNeon

05/27/2015 at 8:26 pm

Here’s a hint. It once stood in the High Sierra Territory near Yosemite Sam’s Sierra Falls.

• BDNeon

05/27/2015 at 10:38 pm

• tina

05/28/2015 at 5:38 pm

the big tree? If it’s not that then I won’t probably know until I see it again.

• BDNeon

05/28/2015 at 11:20 pm

Nope, it’s not that.

• BDNeon

05/29/2015 at 10:13 pm

Oh, oops, my mistake, he was talking about something inside the theater, not outside it.

• tina

06/10/2015 at 2:16 pm

I found it out!! There was a brief case brought out at the end out the show the said Dr. something Spillikin. My mom remembered that where Kate’s Kettle is that there was a craft thing called Spillikin Corners. Yaaa I solved it!! (probably)

06/10/2015 at 4:45 pm

Very good! You are correct about Professor Spillikin’s bag, and about Spillikin Corners. However, it wasn’t located where Katy’s Kettle is. It was the entire back corner of the park that is known as Cyclone Bay today, basically from Jet Stream all the way to Apocalypse.

19. Charles

05/28/2015 at 7:35 pm

Hi Kurt I wanted to thank you for the work you put in to this site. It has been a exciting 8 months following the rebuilding of Colossus leading up to the film shoot and opening day. I grew up at the Long Beach Pike, My mom let me ride the Cyclone Racer when I was six , rode Colossus June 27, 1978, Today “Twisted Colossus” Amazing!!! I have to admit after the first ride, I missed Colossus, after ride two, TC gets you, it has its own personality, You fly down the first hill, the track turns to the left, then throws to the right, it is on from there. I remember looking-up and seeing Kurt above in the other train, after five in a row, I could not get enough, I would highly recommend TC, bring the kids, and experience the most fun you will have on any rollercoaster. I was at the park Sat May 23, and met Tina and her Mom, we rode the last rides, Its fun to meet everyone, and look forward to seeing you at the park. Charles

• tina

06/02/2015 at 4:06 pm

Great to meet you too Charles! Summer is finally here so I will most likely be at the park 24/7. One of my friends hasn’t been on Twisted Colossus yet so I can’t wait to get him on and see his face!

20. James

06/02/2015 at 3:40 pm

I see they gave scream! a new paintjob 🙂

21. tina

06/04/2015 at 3:00 pm

Did anyone see Masterchef last night? They went to Knott’s Berry Farm! I would have loved to have been there!

22. josh.f

06/09/2015 at 9:23 pm

With regards to the brake run, it doesn’t matter to me one way or another. It leads into the lift hill, so as long as the two trains line up, who cares? Anyone who says it kills the pace isn’t thinking clearly.

……..well? The trains rarely line up..so what’s your opinion now?

23. J

06/16/2015 at 7:00 pm

Are you still doing park updates?
    Been a month since anything new.
    I’ll be going elsewhere from now on

06/16/2015 at 8:29 pm

Yup, just incredibly busy with lots of travel at work right now (currently up in Oregon). Thanks for stopping by.

• Randie

06/17/2015 at 9:12 pm

Safe travels Kurt… Looking forward to the next update.

• Charles

06/23/2015 at 8:12 pm

Me too!! Super busy three events, in the next 7 days, Hope to make it out to the park in July, seems like summer is already running away, it was only a month ago T/C opened… Wow!! Hi Tina, and everyone on the site, Travel safely Kurt. Charles