The New Revolution Update #2

By on 01/23/2016

In the week since my first The New Revolution construction update at Six Flags Magic Mountain, a lot has happened. It looks like they’re starting to kick this project into high gear and it shows. These photos were taken on Saturday, January 23rd.

As I approached The New Revolution, I immediately saw a guy applying a white primer to the coaster structure in the final helix area:

the new revolution

High overhead was another guy pressure washing the track:

the new revolution

Every single support column had a baby blue primer paint at the very bottom, where the support bolts onto the footer:

the new revolution

While the guy above appeared to be applying a primer, based on the fact that what he just painted was still splotchy, this guy looks like he’s applying the final coat of white paint, based on the fact that it looks really good:

the new revolution

In case you didn’t know, most roller coasters have to be painted by hand using brushes and rollers. It’s a very manual and labor intensive process, but it’s the only way to ensure that you get a nice even coat and also keep from wasting paint from all the overspray.

More of the baby blue primer I mentioned above:

the new revolution

The base of every support column I saw had this primer on it:

the new revolution

As I took a step back and looked up, I was shocked to see that all of the tallest columns had already been painted blue and looked fantastic:

the new revolution

After being all white for 40 years, it was a little weird to see some color on this coaster, but in a good way. The blue color really popped and looked great:

the new revolution

The work on the station is also starting to progress. A couple of windows are being framed out and new colors are being applied to both the building and the trim. I hope that light blue is just a primer because it looks a little faint in my opinion:

the new revolution

The queue cover that was being rebuilt last week has been completed and it sporting a much brighter color than before:

the new revolution

When taken all in together, the new color scheme doesn’t look bad at all:

the new revolution

As seen from the back, the rebuilt queue cover now looks complete:

the new revolution

It doesn’t look like anything has changed within the station itself. You’ll notice that the building trim is red, but everything inside the building looks like it’s going to be blue:

the new revolution

The new roof has been completed since last week and looks great. The tarp has been removed from the back of the station and it looks like it’s received a coat of primer paint:

the new revolution

I surmised earlier that the tarp was to protect exposed electronics from the rain and I think I was right. As you can see, there is a bunch of exposed wiring where the primary panel used to be:

the new revolution

When looked at in a linear fashion from behind the station, as opposed to from the side above, all the blue columns look much more dramatic with their new color:

the new revolution

Other than the new roof, nothing looks any different on the exit side of the station:

the new revolution

More primer on the supports that are further up the hill:

the new revolution

I found it interesting that although the painted columns behind the station look good, they weren’t painted all the way to the ground. Furthermore, these were the only columns that I didn’t see primer on the base. Perhaps that’s what they’re waiting on before they can finish painting the columns:

the new revolution

Here is a section that has fresh blue paint on the column and white paint on the track and I have to admit…it looks pretty damn nice:

the new revolution

What do you think? Do you like it? Leave a comment with your thoughts below. I can’t wait to see how far they get when I go back again next week!

If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. Rob Lemons

01/23/2016 at 10:23 pm

Amazing pics! Cant wait to ride! I wish that the ENTIRE property would be refurbished like Revolution is. Not one ride at a time but entire sections. They really need to bring back the magic to the mountain.

01/23/2016 at 11:30 pm

A long time ago, Tim Burkhart said that Revolution would never be any color but white. But he never said that it would be just white. To be honest, I was expecting a darker shade of blue, like navy, but this looks nice. The red touches on the station will give it a somewhat patriotic look…sort of a Great American Revolution look, if you will. 😉

3. Johnny

01/23/2016 at 11:31 pm

I think this looks fantastic so far! I feel like I’m in a weird dream being able to ride better versions of Revolution and Ghost Rider this summer! I have heard that some seats on the new trains will be set backwards. Any thoughts on that?

4. Steve Austin

01/24/2016 at 5:32 am

How does the loop itself look? Great update as always Kurt.

01/24/2016 at 9:41 am

No changes on the loop yet, with the exception of all the trees having been cleared from around it so we can see it now. Once it’s painted it’ll look awesome!

5. Jason

01/24/2016 at 7:58 am

Great update Kurt, It was very cool to finally get to meet you yesterday, I told my family it was like meeting a celebrity for me, haha

01/24/2016 at 9:42 am

It was nice meeting you, too! I still can’t believe you drive down from Pismo as much as you do. That’s dedication to the park!

6. Pingback: Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 23 Jan 2016 - The Coaster Guy

7. Steve

01/24/2016 at 8:12 pm

It is a little strange seeing color on the revolution. I am not sure which year my first ride was but if I had to guess I would say ’78 or ’79. I am really liking the blue, not sure if I am hoping they keep the loop classic white or add blue, either way I am so looking forward to the new trains and no ear banging. Thanks for the update

8. Ryan

01/26/2016 at 12:37 pm

Wonder if magic mountain will do something really big soon to compete with Harry Potter opening in April n Star Wars land opening in a couple years. I don’t think repainting old rides will cut it

9. jim

01/26/2016 at 7:06 pm

I wonder if they are going to paint the bottom of the columns red for that red, white and blue affect….like our flag.

10. David

01/28/2016 at 8:47 pm

Some of you may disagree, however, I do wish that they just kept the original trains. Just repaint ALL of them the retro 70’s Great American Revolution paint scheme, just simply remove the over the shoulder restraints, that’s all they really needed to do, however I welcome all the new changes. It should be a blast !

01/28/2016 at 9:27 pm

The trains actually will be the original trains. They just built brand new ones from the ground up, using the original plans, with no OTSRs. The only difference is that there will now be headrests for safety, but that also means they can now run the trains backwards. Yee-haw!!!

• John

01/31/2016 at 2:47 pm

The original trains looked great and were good for their time; but they’re pretty worn out now, so the new trains are welcomed. Also a few years back, I was telling a SFMM employee that they should remove the OTSRs and make Revolution a “lap bar only” experience again. His reply to me was that the park was not allowed to remove the OTSRs after they had been added to the trains. The only way Revolution could be a “lap bar only” ride experience again would be by adding new trains.

11. Nick

01/31/2016 at 5:40 am

I am guessing the train color will be red … Thus completing the American Revolution Theme RED Train White Track Blue Supports 🙂

12. John

01/31/2016 at 2:53 pm

Great update Coaster Guy!!

13. Ellex

02/02/2016 at 9:05 pm

I think SFMM should rename Revolution, Revolution Reborn. Mainly because the coaster will be celebrating it’s fortieth anniversary with the same track layout. So why call it The New Revolution. Yes The paint job is looking great and will have new magnetic braking, along with a nicely refurbished loading station. But the best thing is going to be the new trains with just the lap bar system. Can’t wait to ride it again and not feel like I’ve just taken a beat down by Mike Tyson. It would also be cool if SFMM would rebuild Colossus and name it Classic Colossus on the same foot print as the original coaster (no mid-course brake) and use two bench PTC Trains. Not saying replace Twisted Colossus, Just rebuild Colossus for those who miss the feel of the traditional wooden coaster that it once was. I might be asking for too much you think? 🙂