Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 21 Feb 2016

By on 02/22/2016

As long as I was at Six Flags Magic Mountain checking on the construction of The New Revolution, I figured I’d take a quick lap around the park and see what else was going on. These pictures were taken on Sunday, February 21st.

I hate to do it, but I’m going to start this week’s update by getting up on my soapbox and whining. I am not a smoker and I absolutely despise smelling cigarette smoke. I appreciate that the inside of the park is mostly smoke-free, with the exception of a few designated smoking areas. I can avoid those areas. However, what I can’t avoid is the long walk into the park. Virtually every time I’m walking into the park, there are people around me smoking like chimneys. There’s nothing you can really do but suck it down. I could slow down or stop, to put some distance between us, but then another smoker comes along and you’re right back in the same boat:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 1

I just love how they hold it away from themselves, as if they can’t stand the smell of it either. Then, when they’re done with it, they just toss it in the street:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 2

If the park isn’t willing to provide its guests with a smoke-free pathway to get into the park, why bother making anything inside the park smoke-free? <steps off soapbox>

The first thing I noticed upon entering the park was that all the signs had been removed from the Cartoon Candy Kitchen. Since it was closed, I thought that perhaps this space was going to be used for an expansion of Suzette’s Bakery, which is right next door. However, it was open for business later in the day, so I suspect they’re just getting the exterior of the building ready for a new paint job:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 3

Work is progressing on the interior of the new Six Flags Emporium (i.e. Flags). It looks like they’re filling and smoothing the floor out:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 4

Another angle of the interior:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 5

The detailed painting of the Grand Carousel is continuing:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 6

I noticed this picture of a man and child flying a kite on the ground. It’s the same shape as the scenery along the top of the carousel. I suspect they were toying with the idea of just gluing up pictures as the new scenery as opposed to the more traditional method of having an artist paint each scene by hand:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 7

Perhaps they just cleared out some more trees, but I don’t recall ever being able to see the Superman station through the Full Throttle loop before:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 8

The entire Full Throttle stage has been removed for the remainder of the off-season. Why do they do this? If the stage isn’t weather proof, what happens to it when it rains during Fright Fest or Holiday in the Park? I’d rather see an empty stage than what appears to be something under construction behind ugly temporary barricades:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 9

Suggestion: Keep the stage up year round and decorate it with something (plants?) when it’s not in use.

The transformation of The Orient Express into the Helpful Honda Express is nearly complete. Practically the entire station is now blue and it almost completely disappears into the background behind the blue of the The New Revolution’s support columns:

SFMM_TNR20160221 - 6

The upper Orient Express station is being painted the same color blue as well:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 10

Perhaps it’s just me, but the blue really sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all the red of Samurai Summit:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 11

All of the red railings are being painted leading to/from the funicular:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 12

Based on all the markings all over the midways, it looks like the park is getting ready for some major fixes, and then most likely a new overlay before the 2016 season starts:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 13

After being closed for several weeks while waiting for a broken part to be replaced, Green Lantern was finally back open for business this weekend:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 14

Lastly this week, the demolition of the old Batman Action Theater has kicked into high gear. The entire seating section of the theater has been removed:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 15

There’s not much left inside but a bunch of rubble:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 16

It looks like the heavy machinery is now in the process of breaking up all of the concrete and getting it ready to be hauled away:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 17

There has been a lot of speculation as to what might be going in this space. While it’s safe to assume that it’s something major coming for 2017, the park has yet to drop any hints. We probably won’t find out anything until the official Six Flags annual announcement in September.

Some people are saying that it’s not very much space, so don’t expect a roller coaster. However, if you consider the space that the theater took up, plus all of the green space and pathways by the exit, plus the former lagoon space that hasn’t had water for years, there is a LOT of space to work with:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 18

Add into that mix the space in front of the entrance, and it’s even bigger:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 19

Finally, if you include all of the space in the mostly unused Movie District Plaza, extending from the theater entrance all the ways past The Riddler’s Revenge to the entrance of Tidal Wave, you have enough space for whatever you wanted to build:

SFMM_TR20160221 - 20

Most of the rumors are leaning towards a new show building that will house a Justice League: Battle for Metropolis installation, which is what I’m tending to believe. However, I’m secretly dreaming of a brand new giga-coaster, built using Rocky Mountain Construction’s brand new T-rex track. Practicality says it will be JL:BFM, but I’m still going to keep my fingers crossed for a new roller coaster.

What would you like to see them build here? Leave a comment below and tell us.

Thanks for reading!  If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. josh.f

02/22/2016 at 10:51 am

Giga…although im not going to hold my breath. Although i wouldnt put it past Magic Mountain to want to have the first T-rex coaster

2. josh.f

02/22/2016 at 10:52 am

Ahh..screw it, dream BIG…stata!

3. josh.f

02/22/2016 at 10:52 am

*strata

4. JJJ

02/22/2016 at 12:06 pm

Nothing has been built where Deja Vu used to be right?

02/22/2016 at 12:22 pm

They ended up moving the park’s nursery into that space.

• JJJ

02/23/2016 at 9:22 am

Nursery as in day care or plant care?

5. Matt

02/22/2016 at 1:16 pm

Yeah, because the park totally needs another coaster at this point instead of, god forbid, something enclosed or something with live entertainment.

• James Z

02/25/2016 at 8:26 pm

Let’s be honest, while an indoor coaster would be nice, there’s no way this park would be able to maintain such a thing. I know folks who follow the park want this to happen, but it’s just not a cut of the park’s jib. It’s a roller coaster park, hoping for some indoor “quality” family ride is just not a fit for Magic Mountain.

6. Scott C.

02/22/2016 at 3:33 pm

I would still love to see a frisbee at SFMM….or even a disk-o!

• Andrew

02/27/2016 at 6:14 pm

Frisbee would need space but its a good idea.

7. James D

02/23/2016 at 9:27 am

1. First off, I totally agree about the smoking thing. So annoying!

2. My theory on the Full Throttle stage being taken down for the off-season is they might rent the equipment for the summer months, and it might be too expensive to keep it for the off season. If they actually own all that equipment, then it does seem like a waste of resources to keep taking it down and putting it back up.

3. I’m super excited about what might happen to the area with the batman arena! I don’t know who thinks that it isn’t very much space, because I think that there is a ton of space!! I was very impressed with what they did with Full Throttle, because they were VERY limited on space there! I can only imagine what they could do with this space. And it could be there 20th coaster. AND 2017 is Magic Mountain’s 45th year.

Great update! Thanks!

02/23/2016 at 5:02 pm

I agree with your comments about smokers. Whatever makes them start in the first place is beyond me. But how they just toss the butts onto the ground. Technically, they could be fined for that if a police officer spots them. Maybe if enough of them are stuck with $1000 fines they’ll get the hint.

Is it just me or is there an awful lot of blue in the Revolution area? I do like blue, and the color they chose looks nice, but it’s almost overkill now—especially with the rebranding of the Orient Express into the Helpful Honda Express. Thank goodness they took the blue off of the loop.

That Batman theater has been in that spot since about 1981. It’s going to look really strange without it there. However, I’m glad to see that they’re opening up some land for a future attraction. While some sort of coaster would make sense for a park with the most coasters in the world (19), I’d like to see something different: A dark ride. A water attraction of some sort. I’m sure that Tidal Wave’s days are numbered, so another water ride would be a good fit.

I also like Scott C.’s comment about a Frisbee ride. Most people like those and it would be a nice change of pace.

9. Alex B

02/23/2016 at 11:48 pm

I’m sure the blue will fade over time, and since it likely won’t be painted again for another 20 years, it’ll look really natural within a few.

The Fright Fest Maze that happened in the action theater area was the most popular by far, so I’m sure whatever they build will be able to house a maze that was as good or better.

It’s nice to see Six Flags giving the shops and much of the park a much needed face lift. Now if they were to get rid of all of the Colossus County Fair remnants, and the Pirates Cove remnants, then we’d be in business.

Also, with the removal of the giant tree, Sierra Sam’s Falls, the Log Jammer, and the Mooseburger Lodge, they really should get rid of all of that rockwork and commit to the Full Throttle theme fully. Redo the exterior of the FTSB, retheme the theater, and we could have a really neat looking area of the park.