ChopSix Debuts at Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 03/05/2016

Six Flags Magic Mountain has replaced their Panda Express with a new restaurant called ChopSix. It’s Six Flags’ take on Fresh Asian Cuisine and it’s being rolled out across the entire company. It was tested at Six Flags Great America during the 2015 season and received positive feedback. During a construction tour of The New Revolution, we were given the opportunity to check it out and taste the food.

If you’re not familiar with the layout of Magic Mountain, ChopSix is located in the Baja Ridge area of the park and sits directly between the entrance of X2 and Viper. All of the signage around the restaurant has been replaced:

chopsix

The big ChopSix sign was getting ready to be installed:

chopsix

New signs on the building:

chopsix

Robert Bustle and Chris Parker, from Magic Mountain’s Food & Beverage department, were our hosts for the preview. Chris and his team were responsible for putting the menu together:

SFMM_chopsix - 4

All of the equipment inside the restaurant is brand new:

chopsix

The new 500 degree woks are where the magic happens:

chopsix

As for the menu lineup, you can expect both Chow Mein and Fried Rice. I tried both of these. They were fresh and exactly what you’d expect as Chinese food staples:

chopsix

There’s also Beef & Broccoli and Orange Chicken. I also tried both of these and loved them both. I must admit that the Orange Chicken was quite a bit better than what it was replacing:

chopsix

This is Tofu Vege Stir Fry and Spicy Chicken (think Kung Pao Chicken):

chopsix

This is their Asian Chicken Salad:

chopsix

They wanted a unique item on the menu with a Southern California twist, so they came up with a Wonton Taco. I’m not a big cabbage guy, but I really liked this. The meat was tender and the sauce is very tasty and gives it that Asian flair:

chopsix wonton taco

I’ve never had an Asian doughnut before, but this was SO GOOD! It’s like a deep fried piece of cake with sugar and cinnamon on top, with a drizzle of caramel. I could’ve eaten twenty of these:

chopsix asian doughnut

This is the team that will be running ChopSix, so be sure to say hi to them:

chopsix

In the previous photo, you’ll notice that the menu board had not yet been installed. They will be full digital menu boards, making it easy to display photos and make changes as needed.

There will be a exclusive preview event for Season Dining Pass members from 4:30-7:30 pm on Saturday, March 5th, then again from 11:30-3:30 pm & 4:30-7:30 pm on Sunday, March 6th. If you’re in the park this weekend, and have a dining pass, be sure to check it out. If you don’t have a dining pass, why not?!? Go buy one now!

Thanks for reading!  If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. Marcus L.

03/05/2016 at 11:09 am

I can’t wait to try this place

2. Matt

03/05/2016 at 4:42 pm

Too bone tired after getting off work to head there today, but I’ll definitely nip over tomorrow for the Sunday preview. Hope this means there’ll be some Dining Pass stuff on the menu initially, I was a bit sad when Twisted Wiches opened up without any options.

03/05/2016 at 4:52 pm

Yes, there will be dining pass options here. You’ll also be glad to hear that Twisted ‘Wiches now has dining pass options as well.

• Matt

03/05/2016 at 5:06 pm

Yay!

03/06/2016 at 3:36 pm

I still don’t know why they didn’t put Chop Six up near Ninja. Asian food should be served in an Asian themed area. That just makes sense. That said, however, the food looks interesting and definitely worth a try. You can get Panda Express any old time.

• Matt

03/06/2016 at 6:26 pm

It’s a bit peculiar they didn’t install Chopsix in the defunct Laughing Dragon Pizza Company building. Not like it’s being used for anything else right now.

03/06/2016 at 8:26 pm

We asked them that very question. Why didn’t they make this a Mexican food location and put ChopSix in Samurai Summit? The reply was that having mixed themes in different areas of the park gets people talking about how odd it is. Kind of the old adage that any publicity is good publicity. I don’t buy it for a second. I think they only had the budget to redo this one restaurant and it had to be ChopSix. I suspect their hands were tied by corporate and they are just trying to make the best of it.

03/08/2016 at 5:33 pm

Well…history tells us that the earliest Mexican people actually migrated over from China over what was a land bridge from Asia to Alaska many, many centuries ago.

So there’s your connection. 😉

4. Matt

03/06/2016 at 6:20 pm

Well, I swung by today, and I was quite decidedly impressed. Every single item except the Wonton Tacos is on the Dining Pass menu, the Orange Chicken is wonderful, the Teriyaki Chicken was ok (I think they could use a stronger Teriyaki sauce, the teriyaki flavor wasn’t very noticeable), the fried rice was good, and the chow mein is very good. The Asian Doughnuts are little balls of heaven. The portions are massive, and they serve them to you in handy styrofoam clamshells. I was so filled up by the lunch and doughnuts that I just ended up grabbing the broccoli beef and orange chicken on the way out, and it’s now sitting in the fridge waiting for later when my appetite returns.

This is a definite boon to Dining Pass holders.

5. JJJ

03/08/2016 at 12:19 pm

Panda was like one of two options in the park with a decent vegetarian option. I hope that remains true.

6. Matt

03/09/2016 at 2:50 am

The folks over at CoasterChitChat.com were saying that in addition to ChopSix, they were also debuting Dining Pass additions at some of the other eateries which I neglected to check, apparently Johnny Rockets, Twisted ‘Wiches, and “the food court” (Food Etc.?) have new stuff. I’ll poke my head in next weekend and see what’s up.

• Matt

03/12/2016 at 5:30 pm

Twisted ‘wiches has the Turkey Classic and the Italian on the Dining Pass, it doesn’t look like Johnny Rockets has anything new marked on the menu, and it seems like Food Etc has the Jalapeño Fish and Chips and the Loaded Nachos and variants on the Dining Pass unless I’m mistaken about those items not being on there before.

• Bobby

03/12/2016 at 6:47 pm

There was a menu of all the new stuff added for the dining pass at the High octane wings. I forgot most of what was on it but Johnny rockets added a kiss meals and for snack coldstone creamery added ice cream. I should have took a picture of it.

• Bobby

03/12/2016 at 6:48 pm

Kids*

7. Rebecca Francoeur

12/08/2018 at 6:06 pm

Looks like we might be getting one here in San Antonio at Fiesta Texas. Thanks for the review and pics. Looks good.