The New Revolution Media Day at Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 03/25/2016

Today was media day for The New Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Unlike traditional media days, with balloons, speeches, and fireworks, this one was a bit more subdued. It was purely an opportunity for the media to come and get an up close look at the newly refurbished ride and experience it first hand. The park begins roughly a month of technical rehearsals tomorrow using season pass holders. Since it won’t actually open to the public until April 21st, they decided to forego all of the fanfare until closer to the date.

I didn’t have time tonight to post all of the photos I took and write an overview, but I do have a couple of videos for you to watch. They are reverse POVs of me on the coaster, both with and without the virtual reality headset. I encourage everyone to try it at least once with the headset. It really is like nothing you’ve ever experienced before.

This first video is me riding it with the headset on. The split screen shows what you see while riding the coaster if you keep your head looking forward, just as a reference. You’ll notice me moving my head all over the place. I’m actually seeing things all around me, just like you do in the real world. Don’t get confused when the video doesn’t change when I move my head. It is definitely moving all around inside the headset:

This next video is me riding it without the VR headset. This is how the coaster was originally designed, without the over the shoulder restraints (OTSRs). Many people remember riding it without the OTSRs when it was new, but that was way before my time at Six Flags. This was my first experience like this and I LOVED it! Check it out:

1. John Doe

03/26/2016 at 4:55 am

SO MUCH BETTER ! You can wiggle around freely & no more headaches 🙂
    CANNOT WAIT TO RIDE IT !

2. josh

03/26/2016 at 12:30 pm

Did anyone get sick using VR?

3. Ryan

03/26/2016 at 4:06 pm

You’ve never been on revolution without the otsr? They put them on in like the mid 90’s. The virtual reality looks like a cheap video game

• Alex B

03/27/2016 at 12:08 am

Those graphics remind me of Half Life 1. Not necessarily a bad thing, but they’re gonna have to change the video in a few years cause most of the younger generation has never been exposed to graphics of that quality. It sucks it’s outdated at opening, but it’s likely still an amazing experience. It’s great to see Six Flags innovating, and attempting to create an “immersive” experience. This could end up being their way of challenging Disney and Universal.

• Matt

03/27/2016 at 3:57 am

And for those who dont know what that entails, Half Life 1 is a game that came out in 1998. 20 years is an extremely long time in graphics advancement terms, so honestly even a phone should be capable of rendering something a little fancier.

• Ryan

03/27/2016 at 1:25 pm

Sorry but using a cellphone attached to goggles with 90’s graphics isn’t going to challenge Harry Potter or Star Wars land

• Steve

03/27/2016 at 3:19 pm

I kinda think Harry Potter and Star Wars are outdated as well. Sure there was a new Star Wars last year, but by the time it opens….. And seriously between Harry Potter and the Simpsons that should have been done 10 or 15 years ago to truly be relevant. From what it seems like to me, and I could be wrong, this whole VR was last minute and rushed, hopefully it will be updated with better graphics. I know we can complain about this and that and we don’t like the colors they picked or whatever…. At least they are trying. I am looking forward to trying it. If I had a Magic Mountain wish I would ask them to run more trains on their roller coasters.

• Ryan

03/27/2016 at 8:21 pm

If I had one wish it’d be for a cool new water ride. That would be awesome

4. Charlie

03/28/2016 at 7:44 pm

This ride was fantastic. The possibilities are endless now. It did feel like a video game. But that’s what was neat too. 5-10 years from now. Who knows what rides will be like!!! 2 thumbs up from me!

5. Julien

04/01/2016 at 11:44 am

I’ve been following you since the addition of drop of doom, and I don’t even live in so cal anymore. Currently in OR crazy how time flys, gotta give it to you, you do better than anybody else, I wouldn’t go looking anywhere but here for the most accurate updates. Keep up the amazing work and thanks for always doing what you can for everybody!

6. Dandy

05/09/2016 at 7:41 pm

“I’ll be gone all day on Saturday, but I hope to get all of the photos and overview of the day posted some time on Sunday. Stay tuned!” — my favorite part is when you came back and actually finished this update as promised!

Oh, wait.

LOL

Just breaking balls, dude, but duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!

7. Rob Kral

06/06/2016 at 12:15 pm

I was there for MOUNTAIN MADNESS yesterday which was a fantastic day!

First time on the NEW version of the ride. Opinions will vary but for myself, I prefer riding without the VR. The VR was a very neat experience and a lot of fun. The ride itself has a comfort level that is now SUPERB. I was with a group of riders (college aged) some of which hadn’t ridden Revolution before and we rode with VR first. They enjoyed it, but when riding next without the VR they actually all preferred greatly. “That ride is awesome! You go through a tunnel and through the loop!!”. They weren’t aware of many elements when riding with the VR. They much preferred being able to see the ride and what was happening to the VR experience. Revolution’s design uses the terrain and features elements that are clearly entertaining, its a great coaster in it’s own right and it was fascinating to see these college age kids react this way when riding without the VR.

A take-away from this is if you loved REVOLUTION, you will definitely love NEW REVOLUTION a lot lot more, but it might well mean you love it a lot more without the VR sets. So I highly recommend trying both. My own personal experience is that whilst I had fun and fascination with the VR (especially the shooting segment and the helix segment was well done I thought) I, as with my company yesterday, strongly preferred riding without it, and over the VR enjoyed instead seeing the scenery and track elements.

I was super ecstatic about the restoration and comfort level due to no OTSRs. The ride is smooth, actually FEELS new, and is a total, refreshing joy to ride now without the restraints. Fans of the old ride have a big reason to rejoice.

Big Kudos to Six Flags Magic Mountain for attending to this ride, the results are fantastic.