UA-20143982-1 Wanted: Magic Mountain Employees from the 1970's - The Coaster Guy

Wanted: Magic Mountain Employees from the 1970’s

By on 09/01/2016

Did you work at Magic Mountain in the 1970’s, or know somebody who did? I want to hear from you! As part of a special project I’m working on, I am looking for anyone who worked at Magic Mountain prior to the Six Flags acquisition in 1978.

It doesn’t matter if you were a custodian, cashier, ride op, manager, or park president – please contact me! I would even be interested in hearing from you if you were a construction worker who helped to build the park prior to opening in 1971, or if you are a family member of a deceased former employee with stories to share. If you know somebody that worked there during this time, and they may not read this site, please let them know.

You can either send me a direct email at Kurt@TheCoasterGuy.com, or use the Contact Me link at the very bottom of this web site. I will provide more details when we talk in person.

1. Mike Metzler

09/02/2016 at 12:47 pm

I worked at Magic Mountain from April 1973 until September 1978, just before the Six Flags purchase.

2. Richard

09/02/2016 at 1:38 pm

I worked at MM from Feb 1973 (2nd season) to mid-summer 1975. I was foreman of the Gold Rusher for some time there, back when we were allowed to run four trains on the system at a time. 12 seconds from the time the train stopped to unload, reload, and put the safety bar down. Jeez. How did we ever do it?

3. Jack Richards

09/03/2016 at 11:44 am

Worked at Magic Mountain under Newhall, Land & Farm from 1975.

4. Lisa Cole, Hayes

09/03/2016 at 2:05 pm

Hi Kurt,
    I worked at the park from May 1971, before opening until 1979. I started out in Children’s world, became the foreman, then Supervisor, red tag, of Guest Relations, and Cash operations/arcades. My last job was Ops 5, Ride Operations Supervisor… my least favorite job.

5. Tom

09/04/2016 at 9:41 am

I worked the Log Jammer from 74-77.

6. Colleen Keyes Hughes

09/04/2016 at 12:08 pm

I worked in Ride Ops at Magic Mountain before it became Six Flags, from 1975 to end of summer 1977. I started on Gallaxy/Sailboats my first summer, then Dragon/Spinout the following year, and Metro my last year. I worked many double shifts on rides like Log Jammer, Gold Rush, Mountain Express, Sandblasters, and Jet Stream. I also had the experience of being in the 1976 Revolution commercial the year it opened. (I’m in the beginning next to a young Doug Davidson, from “Young & the Restless.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ida3FgIcB6E ) Working at Magic Mountain was definitely my funnest job by far!

7. Täni Mayeda

09/04/2016 at 3:48 pm

I was a Troll and I worked there right before it became Six Flags, and was there during the transition.

8. Sandy

09/04/2016 at 5:39 pm

I I started in 1978 I believe and was the first female to supervise a flume and a coaster at the same time I was there from 1978- 1981/82 came back 1982/83 as a ride operations trainer then had to quit moved out of state I hope that helps I believe Mary Cerney was the first female to supervise in ride operatoins and Sue Brooke’s First female to to supervise and have a coaster in her area

9. Ryan

09/06/2016 at 12:04 pm

It must of been so cool to work there back then. You really can see how the whole park and city have transformed in 40 years. This documentary could be pretty cool

10. Raymond Aber

09/09/2016 at 7:50 am

Feb. 28, 1990, I was the Special Deputy Welding Inspector for the building of the Viper Roller Coaster in Magic Mountain Calif. I was hanging from a crane above the highest loop on the coaster in a Basket with my 4 ft. Torque Wrench when the Santa Clarita was hit with a 5.7, Mag, VII, 30, Earthquake. Swinging around, hanging on for my life. the crane was almost tipping over. This continued for 80 seconds.then everything stopped. Picture being 17 stories up when this happened and I’m here to talk about it.
    Raymond Aber
    R.E.A. INSPECTIONS
    127 S. Seaward Ave.
    Ventura, Ca.93003
    805 643 7070

1990-02-28 · Los Angeles Area, 5.7, Mw, VII, 30, $12.7 million.

11. Alex

09/13/2016 at 9:30 am

That last comment has made me think. I remember when Magic Mountain opened the following day after the 1994 Northridge earthquake . It was a a big one too, the house down the street from me exploded but Viper was cool the next day. Crazy. Thanks Raymond!

• Ryan

09/14/2016 at 6:29 pm

Read a rumor that they may be tearing Viper down next year n replace it with something bigger n better

12. Gary

09/18/2016 at 3:15 am

I worked at Magic Mountain 1977-1979. I was a ride operator, I started on the El Bump boat ride then moved to the Grand Prix. Cross trained on many other rides including complex 3 (sand blaster,scrambler,carzy barrels and circus wheel). Complex 2 (Electric Rainbow, Himalaya, Enterprise and Tumble Drum) and was 1 of the first 5 employees to reopen Colossus after the accident, man! I hated walking that track every morning for safety.

13. William Sippel

10/01/2016 at 5:20 pm

Worked at The Magic Pagoda early 70’s came back and worked on repair crew Colossus ….. my dad worked in the fabrication shop.

14. Tim Calderwood

11/05/2016 at 12:16 pm

I worked food and beverage, summer of 78. I started at Time Out Pizza, but then got promoted by the manager, because he wanted me on the softball team. I suppled the carts and shacks around the games and stage where the band played “Last Dance” every night at the end.

GREAT SUMMER!