UA-20143982-1 Is the Viper Roller Coaster Getting Scrapped at Six Flags Magic Mountain? - The Coaster Guy

Is the Viper Roller Coaster Getting Scrapped at Six Flags Magic Mountain?

By on 09/17/2016

sfmm_viperrumor-2

According to a rumor submitted to Screamscape earlier this week, the Viper roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain may be getting scrapped within the next year to make way for a new roller coaster coming in 2018. This is not the first time I’ve heard this rumor. For the last couple of years, Viper has been rumored to be on the short list of possible rides at Magic Mountain slated for demolition. Fortunately, for those of us who still like this ride, they’ve only been rumors.

Viper is the very last of the Arrow Dynamics mega-loopers, with a whopping seven inversions, built way back in 1990. It sits in the Baja Ridge area of the park, next to its famous Arrow cousin X2:

sfmm_viperrumor-1

At 26 years old, from a company that no longer exists, Viper is definitely living on borrowed time. It’s a rough ride, isn’t quite as thrilling as some of the newer, taller, and faster coasters, and I’m sure it’s hard to get parts for. It also sits on a decent sized piece of land that could easily accommodate a newer, more thrilling roller coaster:

sfmm_viperrumor-3

What do you think? Do you think the rumors are true and they’ll pull out Viper this next year? If so, what do you think they’ll replace it with? What would you like to see them replace it with? Leave a comment below and let us know your thoughts!

Thanks for reading!  If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. John Doe

09/17/2016 at 6:35 pm

Looks like this might be the end for viper… I am only saying this because of all the other arrow coasters at other six flags parks that got the copping block ! Six Flags Great Adventure comes to mind … If six flags does get rid of this classic icon i hope they replace it with something even more iconic 🙂

• Ryan

09/19/2016 at 8:58 pm

Viper isn’t an icon. The Icons are Twisted Colossus, Tatsu, and Dare I say X2

• Steve

09/20/2016 at 7:07 am

All the rides at MM have iconic status, if defined properly. Some more than others, and also depending on the age group. I am 45, have been riding on these coasters for years, and to me all of these rides are iconic, except maybe the Green Lantern 🙂

• Cjq

02/08/2017 at 5:28 pm

The kid is probably too young if he does not know the historic status Piper has. That ride was a huge deal when it opened, and was four years. I remember going to the park its opening ear and it having a tower lines to ride. You’re just a little too young to understand

2. Ryan

09/17/2016 at 6:39 pm

LOL

3. Steve

09/17/2016 at 7:10 pm

I personally have fun riding viper. Sure, you bang your ears a couple of times, but I still enjoy it. My opinion is that it may not be as “thrilling” as some of the other rides, but, does it have to be? Can’t it just be viper and not compare it to anything? Why does everything have to be new and improved? Hell I am old and my parts are breaking down too, maybe that’s why I like it, it brings back memories of riding it in high school when it was the new kid on the block. Also, is there no more room? Why tear one down to make a new one? Would new trains be out of the question? I vote save Viper

• Robert

02/23/2017 at 8:14 pm

They can get new trains from vekoma with soft chest restrains rather than the old ots restraints

09/17/2016 at 9:27 pm

The Arrow and Vekoma loopers have that reputation of being rough. This year, Six Flags Over Georgia did a revamp of its Ninja coaster (now known as Blue Hawk), and it received track improvements, new coat of paint, and new vest style OTSR during the off season. Not sure whether Six Flags Magic Mountain would give Viper a similar revamp, assuming it can be done.

If Viper is to be removed, I’ve heard rumors and rumblings about Six Flags Magic Mountain investing in a new B&M dive coaster. Or if Six Flags Magic Mountain wants something family-friendly (minimum 42in height requirement), I could see a Mack spinning coaster or a Gravity Group woody, or maybe both being a good fit.

09/25/2016 at 4:38 pm

SFMM could use a second wooden coaster. Unfortunately, though, Southern California is not the ideal location for wooden coasters. It’s way too dry here and the wood dries out quickly. Also, they run year round, unlike coasters in other parts of the country.

5. Josh

09/18/2016 at 12:56 pm

I enjoy viper for the most part…hopefully that darn Giga we’ve all been impatiently waiting for although a dive seens to be a popular opinion, how about a giga dive air time machine, not a bigger/ longer/ more inversions Valraven clone….if they do scrap it it better be worth the reason, thats all im saying…do i hope they do? Im on the fence…will they? Im not so sure, building a $20m coaster is one thing adding a huge demo to that low ball estimate is why i have my doubts

6. Braden

09/18/2016 at 8:13 pm

If you ride the side of lex luthor facing batman, DC Universe, Green Lantern ect… You can see greyish orange Vekoma 2nd gen trains located near the maintenance site. therefore, I do not believe that the rumor stated above is true.

• Braden

09/18/2016 at 8:16 pm

and plus why would they want to remove the last “giga” of the Arrow Dynamics Custom Loopers.

09/19/2016 at 4:46 pm

Viper opened April 6, 1990 and I was there for media day. Somewhere, I have pictures of myself standing next to track pieces placed in what is now the VIP parking area next to X2. (I’ll have to dig those up.) On that media day, not only did I meet its designer, Ron Toomer, but I managed to ride it five times in a relatively short time. When I got back home, my 8-1/2 month pregnant wife told me that I “looked green.”

Anyway, I’ve never had a problem riding Viper and despite being an Arrow coaster, I don’t find it to be that rough. However, at 26 years old and the only one of the Arrow seven-loopers to run year round, I’m kind of surprised that it’s gone this long considering the fate of its cousins in Illinois and New Jersey. The fact is, that these rides do have a service life—they don’t last forever.

As Braden said above, perhaps SFMM is looking to give Viper some added life with new trains. But they could also be testing them for another project. Who knows? We’ll just have to wait till the announcement of the 2018 project.

09/19/2016 at 4:49 pm

Just a note…the photos I took of me standing next to the track pieces were taken on the day it was announced to the media the previous November. I reread what I wrote and it came across like I was standing next to track pieces on the day Viper opened. That wouldn’t be possible without some disastrous incidents…

8. Ryan

09/19/2016 at 8:57 pm

Go Ahead. I hate this coaster. Id love to eat popcorn while watching this thing get torn down. I can easily see a B/M giga coming in its spot. This will be a great way to compete with Cedar Point with their RMC mean Strek

9. M. Smith

09/20/2016 at 9:15 am

I’m actually surprised that they aren’t touching Riddlers Revenge….I thought “stand-up” coasters are now a thing of the past, a lot of stand up coasters are being made floor-less. Riddler’s Revenge seems to be a coaster that SFMM never “talks” about, but I do hope THAT one stays, imagine, eventually it may be the only stand-up coaster left!

09/20/2016 at 4:47 pm

At the rate standups are disappearing, I wouldn’t be surprised if Riddler is the last one someday. And SFMM could market it as “the world’s only standup roller coaster.” In 2018 it will be 20 years old. We’ll see…

• Steve

09/20/2016 at 5:24 pm

Again, call me naïve call me easy to please, I love Riddlers Revenge as well. I love all the rides, they all have their own thing. Are they perfect? The smoothest? The biggest and best? Of course not. I spend the day there, go on as many rides as I can, I laugh, enjoy myself, and go home. Again, I may be naive but I hope they keep all of them, and add new ones where they can. I don’t want to lose anymore “log rides”

• Steve

09/20/2016 at 7:46 pm

I even say bring back the Mountain Express, haha. “Please hold on to the red padded bar” does anyone remember that little jingle while waiting in line for the Mountain Express ? And I am only kidding about bringing it back. However, I have family in Washington and if I am ever there during the state fair I will ride it.

10. Matt

09/21/2016 at 11:59 pm

This would sadden me but I wouldn’t be too surprised. The old girl’s getting on in years and the people just aren’t queueing up to ride except on the busiest of days. Which is a darn pity because what Viper lacks in flair it makes up for in spades in raw fundamentals. Pure basic steel elements. 3 Loops (2 spetactularly consecutive, at that), a boomerang, and 2 back-to-back corkscrews. They don’t make em like this anymore. My sister brought some out-of-towners to the park and they were more thrilled by Viper then any of the big-ticket rides like Tatsu or Full Throttle.

11. Chris

09/25/2016 at 8:53 pm

Viper was always one of the most powerful coasters in the park. Just a raw looping roller coaster with no gimmicks. I do agree it is long in years and really rough so I would understand if they did get rid of it. However, the way it is built up on a hill makes that first drop where you get to look out over the world and dangle for just a second before plummeting hard to beat. If they do replace it, I hope they replicate the view.

12. JJJ

09/26/2016 at 11:41 am

I hate that instead of expanding the park, Six Flags only adds rides at the expense of previous attractions

• Matt

09/26/2016 at 6:13 pm

Especially considering there’s nothing but miles of empty shallow hills surrounding the park. There’s not really much stopping them from expanding.

10/12/2016 at 3:54 pm

Actually, the hills behind the park are gearing up for a giant residential development. Magic Mountain Parkway will be extended to the west and become one of the main entries to that development. Just how close those homes will be to the park isn’t yet known, but I can’t wait for people to move in there and start complaining about the noise that the 45- or 50-year-old park generates.

Long story short, Newhall Land & Farming (who owns that land) will not let Six Flags have any more. Any expansions to the park will be within its current boundaries. Honestly, as older attractions are removed, more space within the park will open up for new attractions. And there’s plenty of space for expansion now if you look closely from an aerial photograph. (Google Maps satellite view is a good one.)

• Matt Kelly

10/15/2016 at 3:09 pm

Having lived near MM at one point, they disclose to all homeowners that the park is in the area.

Even in Saugus, they disclose that the Saugus Speedway property is still in the area just in the remote chance the speedway were to ever reopen.

13. Jimmy Tovar

09/28/2016 at 9:08 pm

Cobsidering that it’s a classic, none of its kind around anymore, I would like for it to receive some TLC just like Revolution did. Get new trains for it and maybe retract it for a smoother ride. I don’t want to see it go. One of my favorite rides still

14. Josh

09/28/2016 at 9:25 pm

^^thats because six flags doesnt own the land around Magic Mountain and never will.

15. Suzanne Taylor

10/14/2016 at 8:51 pm

Shockwave from SFGA received several new track and support pieces as it was being dismantled and put into storage to make way for Superman Ultimate Flight. New trains are coming for it, as it will be rebuilt eventually at that park. Refurbish and keep Viper this way at SFMM!

• Joe

01/24/2017 at 9:43 pm

Shockwave was hauled to the scrap yard in 2004. Great American Scream Machine met a similar end. Unfortunately, I think it’s a matter of when, not if, the same thing happens to Viper.

16. Jodi

01/02/2017 at 7:42 pm

I won’t be crying if they knock it down. At least SFGAV used some of GASM track for the baboon enclosure.

17. NOAH

01/31/2017 at 9:35 pm

I HOPE SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN DOES NOT REMOVE THIS RIDE I LOVE IT IT IS MY FAVORITE COASTER EVERY TIME I VISIT MAGIC MAGIC I RIDE I 2X IN A ROW SURE IT MIGHT NOT BE INSANELY SMOOTH BUT THEY COULD RESTORE IT AND GIVE IT NEW TRAINS LIKE REVOLUTION I HOPE THESE RUMORS PASS AND VIPER LIVES ON EVERY TIME I GO TO SFMM THIS IS THE RIDE I LOOK MOST FORWARD TO.

• MMfan

02/04/2017 at 5:06 pm

I hope that you learn what the shift key is for, and you learn that all caps is ignorant. Also, I hope you learn what punctuation marks are for. #todaysyouth #millenials #allaboutme

18. Tom

05/05/2017 at 10:22 am

I think I finally figured this out! As many enthusiasts know, Vekoma and Six Flags had a falling out after the Deja Vu Debacle. Well it appears they may have made a mends, which would be great for us!

Magic Mountain is a funny place because Viper at 186ft with 7 inversions could stand as a flagship coaster in nearly any other park in the country, but it isn’t good enough at least in it’s current state when compared to Magic Mountain’s other offerings.

So my theory starts with Morey Pier’s Great Nor’easter. That is a Vekoma SLC and it’s being re-tracked using Vekoma’s new “bending technology” It also has the new soft vest restraints. Last year Six Flags over Georgia rehabilitated their Vekoma looper previously know as Ninja, touting it as a smoother and better ride and reintroduced it as Blue Hawk. It too features the new Vekoma soft restraints.

With sightings of Vekoma gen 2 trains on sight at Magic Mountain, I tend to believe that Viper may get a makeover. Compared to other Arrow coasters I don’t find Viper to be overly rough. I think it’s still a great ride and a rehab would make it a tremendous ride!

I’m excited of the prospect because it would be great to see more Vekoma SLC, Arrow and Vekoma loopers get a makeover. If Vekoma is on to something, could they smooth out Arrow Hypers too? Um only time will tell…

19. Ernesto Sanchez

05/14/2017 at 9:00 pm

Back in 1990 I was 10 years old. And at that time Viper looked huge sitting on the hillside. Brand new,, always a line, 3 to 4 cars on the track at once and not as many brake runs on the track. And fitting right in on the Baja ridge. Where x2 now stands was sand and sojaro cactus plants. That combined with overlooking the then small Santa Clarita Valley with the hot Valencia summer weather really made you feel like you were in the desert riding a roller coaster named after a venomous snake. For a time viper was the tallest fastest coaster on the west coast. I think viper should be preserved as a landmark the same way revolution was for being the first successful loop coaster. Six flags would be foolish to get rid of this ride. Personally I don’t want to see it go. I have so many great memories of that ride and visiting SFMM in the 1990s.