UA-20143982-1 Justice League: Battle for Metropolis Construction Update #3 - The Coaster Guy

Justice League: Battle for Metropolis Construction Update #3

By on 12/28/2016

It’s been about two weeks since my last Justice League: Battle for Metropolis Construction update at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and progress is definitely being made. As you approach the construction fence where the entrance to the attraction will be, you’ll notice that one of the big palms has been removed. From some preliminary artist renderings I saw of the redesigned area, this is to open up the walkway leading up to the ride:

sfmm_jlupdate3-5

Peeking through the fence where the entrance will be, you still see the small retaining wall that I mentioned in the last update. Unless there are going to be some stairs leading up to the building entrance, I’m not exactly sure where you’ll enter at:

sfmm_jlupdate3-7

Looking from the other side of the building, you’ll see that the concrete has been poured for the whole foundation. It’s still not clear to me why the entire front side of the building has a higher foundation than the back:

sfmm_jlupdate3-3

Looking from the back of the building, you can see just how much concrete was poured to make the foundation. You can also see the raised section on the far end:

sfmm_jlupdate3-1

Not much to show where the new beer garden will go, other than the clearing of some trees and bushes. The entire area has already been barricaded off:

sfmm_jlupdate3-2

Speaking of tree removal, I just happened to be at the park several days prior and noticed they had removed the row of large palm trees that lined the midway in front of JB’s Smokehouse Barbeque, really opening up the skyline leading up to this area:

sfmm_jlupdate3-8

Although the rock wall has yet to be removed (and it eventually will), another large tree next to it has been removed:

sfmm_jlupdate3-4

With all of the trees they’ve removed, the entry to the new Metropolis section of the park is really opening up and will be quite inviting once completed:

sfmm_jlupdate3-6

Thanks for reading! If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. Steve J.

12/31/2016 at 12:25 pm

Do they have an idea on an opening date yet ? I’m excited to try this out. As much as I love coasters this will be a fun thing to mix in. Happy New Year.

2. Tyler Chinappi

12/31/2016 at 5:17 pm

When do you think they’ll start vertical construction for this ride? Within the first 2 weeks of January or so?

3. Nicholas Laschkewitsch

01/01/2017 at 8:11 pm

Great update, Kurt! Will be interesting to see how it all comes together in the coming months…

4. Erik

01/02/2017 at 1:14 pm

Hey what’s up Kurt?! Happy New Year, my brother!

with all of the time i’ve spent at SFMM, I’m shocked every year it seems I get more and more fired up about the plans/progress/construction of the park.

Damn, I love coasters

01/03/2017 at 4:44 pm

“It’s still not clear to me why the entire front side of the building has a higher foundation than the back”

Maybe there’s a hidden drop in there somewhere. 😉

I haven’t ridden any of the other Justice League rides so I’m looking forward to what this one will offer. It’s definitely a different type of attraction for Six Flags Magic Mountain, and a good thing that they’re doing something besides coasters. I’m hoping that future attractions will also be of a non-coaster variety despite the fact that I do like coasters.

• Ryan

01/03/2017 at 5:40 pm

Maybe it’s for cables n other electric components

• Coaster Labs

01/03/2017 at 11:09 pm

ride floor versus loading platform… perhaps continuous loading??? Hopefully the top of the building will have some sort of observatory or dome on top since it’s the hall of justice… definitely hope they step up the theming on the outside too…

01/04/2017 at 12:34 am

I think that’s exactly what it is. I looked at my photos from SFStL and the loading area is raised, so you can just step into the ride vehicle. I’ll post a photo in my next update.

6. Coaster Labs

01/03/2017 at 11:14 pm

How come we’ve never seen any of these renders you speak of… Don’t know why they won’t show the…

01/04/2017 at 12:35 am

We saw them as part of a VR viewing during a construction tour. The renderings themselves have not been made public yet.