UA-20143982-1 Tatsu Being Repaired at Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy
How to make money online

Tatsu Being Repaired at Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 01/30/2017

sfmm_tatsu2017 - 1

It was absolutely gorgeous this past Sunday at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and since it was a Bring a Friend Free Day, it was also fairly crowded. Unfortunately, one of the more popular roller coasters is currently down for repairs. Tatsu is getting a new lift hill chain and possibly a new motor.

People have been commenting on a new green fence that has been put up on Samurai Hill, just in front of the Sky Tower, hoping that something is finally being done to the “standing but not operating” attraction:

sfmm_tatsu2017 - 7

It has nothing to do with the Sky Tower. Rather, it is just blocking off a staging area for the work currently being done on Tatsu. You can see new upper and lower sprockets for the lift hill chain, and I suspect that the blue tarp is covering the new chain itself:

sfmm_tatsu2017 - 2

If I’m not mistaken, this is the gearbox from the top of the lift:

sfmm_tatsu2017 - 3

These new sprockets are heavy duty and I’m sure weigh quite a bit:

sfmm_tatsu2017 - 4

Off to the side is the old, grease coated plastic chain trough liner. The chain slides across the top of this as it comes back down the hill, providing a smooth surface on which to slide, preventing the chain from wearing out due to metal on metal contact:

sfmm_tatsu2017 - 5

Over to the other side is the massive lower gearbox, which houses the lift chain motor. It’s unclear if this had to be removed in order to replace the chain, or if it came off to replace the motor itself:

sfmm_tatsu2017 - 6

I imagine the Tatsu trains are also being refurbished while the ride is down. It’d be silly not to, unless they were recently rebuilt. However, since we are in the off season, I suspect they were due. The good news is that once the ride reopens, there shouldn’t be any maintenance issues for awhile, keeping the ride open and operating for your enjoyment.

Thanks for reading! If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. RCA

01/31/2017 at 2:03 am

Too bad they refuse to repaint it this year … It would be great to see a Red, Yellow, & Green color scheme on Tatus 🙂

“I was never fond of the orange”

01/31/2017 at 5:26 am

It’s not that they refuse, they just have higher priorities. There’s only so much money to go around and I don’t think people realize how much it costs to paint a coaster, especially one the size of Tatsu. I like their current plan of rejuvenating a new area each year and painting the coasters in that area.

01/31/2017 at 4:53 pm

Not only the size, but in Tatsu’s case the location. Painting a coaster on relatively flat ground isn’t too bad, but some of the hills and canyons that Tatsu flies over would require a variety of equipment to reach the track and supports.

As for its color, I don’t mind the Trix cereal scheme it has now, but some different color(s) as accents would be nice. Not expecting that, though.

2. Steve Austin

01/31/2017 at 6:39 am

Those are some seriously big ass sprockets that’s for sure! And i totally agree with RCA about the orange, but just on those hideous supports…those need to be hidden. they totally destroy the look of the New Revolution’s appearance.

3. Ryan ONeill

01/31/2017 at 7:59 am

I love seeing all these mechanical parts! You don’t get to peek at cool stuff like this very often.

4. Josh

01/31/2017 at 9:14 am

Hopefullly it will help them disbatch trains in less than 5 minutes..such a great ride but i rarely ride it because hanging on the stack breaks totally kills all the previous enjoyment…no excuse to not use both sides of the station, even on the slowest of days

• Scott C.

01/31/2017 at 10:02 am

^^This^^ I never ride Tatsu on a solo trip, only with a group that wants to go on it. I hate the hanging waiting to get back into the station. Buzz kill for sure…

5. Spencer C

02/03/2017 at 7:51 pm

Did they just add new lights on the lift hill of Tatsu. I just passed MM and saw them testing lights. Like looked red adn white. Have they always been there?

6. Justin

02/27/2017 at 8:58 pm

How long do youbthink the chainlift repair will take? I remember two years ago with Goliath was a disaster. It ended up taking several months, and it was well into the summer season when it was done. O hope that foesnt happen again.

7. Joe Namith

03/03/2017 at 9:53 pm

Apparently you gotta have a spare chain ready to go on all these rides and when the original company is out of business the chain has to be made custom which probably cost a lot more.