UA-20143982-1 Six Flags Fiesta Texas to Debut Monorail Roller Coaster from RMC - The Coaster Guy

Six Flags Fiesta Texas to Debut Monorail Roller Coaster from RMC

By on 08/03/2017

In an exclusive announcement through USA Today, Six Flags Fiesta Texas announced today that they will be installing the world’s first monorail roller coaster. Designed and developed by Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC), this will be the first roller coaster that doesn’t rely on two rails to navigate the course. Instead, there is a single flattop beam of steel that the car will traverse, giving it an ultra smooth ride.

RMC pioneered the use of steel beams to replace the traditional stack of lumber with a thin metal strip on top found on most wooden coasters. By replacing the wood rails with steel beams, RMC was able to breathe new life into aging wooden roller coasters that were no longer fun to ride. Six Flags Over Texas was the first park to do such a conversion in 2011, transforming the Texas Giant into the world’s first hybrid (steel & wood) roller coaster known as The New Texas Giant. This new technology not only provides a much more smooth ride, but they are also able to incorporate elements into older wooden coasters that weren’t possible before, like inversions. Since then, several Six Flags parks have done hybrid conversions on older coasters, such as Wicked Cyclone, Iron Rattler, and my home park favorite, Twisted Colossus.

This latest announcement takes that technology one step further. By eliminating one of the two rails, RMC claims the rides will become even smoother as the track will never change. It should be as smooth on day 5000 as it is on day one. It also allows the designers to be more creative on their designs, as it’s easier to manipulate the track into new elements. It should also greatly reduce the expense of these roller coasters, as there is far less steel that has to be manufactured for both the track and support columns.

Here are some concept photos provided by Six Flags:

Here is a link to the full USA Today article:

1. Candice Hargrove

08/03/2017 at 9:51 am

I’ve been wanting to go back to Fiesta Texas for awhile now, so maybe after my wedding next year, my new hubby and I will take a trip down there

08/03/2017 at 10:03 am

First of all…congrats!! Second, I just went to SFFT for the first time this year and moved it. What a great park!

2. John C

08/06/2017 at 10:00 pm

This blog is absolutely useless now. All you do is repost press releases that we have all already seen many times. I first started reading this site because it had original material from you. You didn’t even have any justice league coverage this year. What’s the issue?

08/06/2017 at 10:24 pm

Hi, John. I’m really sorry that my site no longer meets your approval. The “issue” is that my real job takes up 50-60 hours of my week now, and I have a ton of required international travel on top of that. Additionally, I’m going through a major transition in my personal life, so you’ll have to excuse me if writing about roller coasters has to take a back seat for a little while. I was in India for 10 days when Justice League was unveiled and I still haven’t gotten a chance to even ride it yet. I’m very bummed about that. I’m also leaving for another out of state trip in a few days, so I still have no idea when I’ll get to ride it. I apologize for my tone, but it really gets under my skin when people start complaining about something, especially when it doesn’t cost them anything, without knowing the circumstances behind it. Perhaps instead of complaining, you should just start your own coaster blog and see how easy it is to keep it going every day. Again, I apologize for wasting your time.

• Scott C.

08/07/2017 at 7:07 am

In today’s day of multiple media outlets, if one followed you (as I do) on Instagram, they would have an idea of how busy you have been. I am sure it most likely is on Facebook as well, but I do not do that one 🙂
        I have no idea what transition you are going through, but I hope the best for you Kurt. I have been going through one myself, moving from the LA area to the Central Valley. My family is not too happy with me about it. Hang in there buddy.

• Ryan

08/07/2017 at 12:18 pm

Transitioning can be tough. Good luck man I’m sure you’ll look beautiful after and be much happier in life!!!

3. Rosie

08/07/2017 at 10:30 pm

Looks kinda strange and bare somehow

4. Zac

08/16/2017 at 2:39 am

I know you have been quiet recently but I’m curious, what are your speculations on the new attraction coming to Magic Mountain for 2018? Six Flags has been awfully quiet about what’s going to happen in the park so it could either be something small or something big. Just curious on what you think

08/16/2017 at 5:39 am

Even though every park gets something new every year, SFMM only gets something big every other year. Therefore, I’m expecting something fairly small for 2018. Look for some sort of a flat ride or addition to Hurricane Harbor.

• Steve J.

08/19/2017 at 5:09 pm

Cedar Fair, and Cedar Point in particular, are kicking Six Flags butt. I really hope we can go BIG in the next couple years. GOOD LUCK KURT. miss your updates.

• Zac

08/22/2017 at 12:18 am

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Rumors are circulating that a Larson Loop (yawn) or some sort of Sky Flyer will be added which would be pretty cool. The other rumor I saw around the web was a pendulum style flat ride which I ADORE THAT. Those are such fun and thrilling flat rides!! Whatever it is I hope it will be a good addition for SFMM and not a boring year for them. Hope everything is going well Kurt! Been reading your updates for awhile now!

08/21/2017 at 11:29 am

I’m thinking the Coaster Class of 2018 is looking very promising…

– Electric Eel for SeaWorld San Diego… Premier Rides Skyrocket II
    – Wonder Woman: Golden Lasso Coaster for Six Flags Fiesta Texas… RMC Raptor (single-rail concept)

Announced late last week…
    – Steel Vengeance for Cedar Point… RMC Mean Streak
    – Twisted Timbers for King’s Dominion… RMC Hurler
    – Railblazer for California’s Great America… that’ll be a mirror-image clone of SFFT’s new Wonder Woman coaster
    – Hangtime for Knott’s Berry Farm… Gerstlauer Infinity, replacing Boomerang coaster
    – Time Traveler for Silver Dollar City… Mack Rides Xtreme spinning coaster

Next week, SF will make its 2018 announcement. We’re still waiting for Kentucky Kingdom to make its 2018 announcement.

Magic Mountain… I could see one of the following options being good. Revamped kids areas (Bugs Bunny Boom-Town and DC Super Friends), Viper rehab (new Vekoma trains with vest style restraints, even though Viper is an Arrow coaster), flat ride or 2 (like a Frisbee/Pendulum ride or 24-story SkyScreamer)… if new 20th coaster has to wait till 2019. If they’re to get a new coaster, the old Deja-Vu area would be an ideal location.

2019… Universal Orlando should be getting a new coaster to replace Dragon Challenge coaster (closing Labor Day weekend).