Dual Launching Racing Roller Coaster Coming to Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 08/29/2018

Six Flags Magic Mountain today announced the world’s very first launching racing coaster called West Coast Racers. Due to debut in 2019, it will be the park’s 20th roller coaster. Unlike traditional coasters, this one-of-a-kind racing coaster will feature two side-by-side tracks with four individual high-speed launches. The race covers two complete laps, multiple airtime hills, extreme high-banked turns and exhilarating over/under near misses. A highlight of the ride is an immersive real time “pit stop” designed and produced by world famous West Coast Customs that will provide riders with a racing experience unlike any other.

“Six Flags leads the industry in thrill ride innovation; it is part of our DNA, and we are taking thrills to the next level with the new West Coast Racers. Six Flags Magic Mountain is the undisputed ‘Thrill Capital of the World’ and with this newest coaster, strengthens our position as the ‘Coaster Capital of the World’ with a total of 20 roller coasters — more than any other theme park on the planet.” – Neal Thurman, Park President

West Coast Racers will have a möbius coaster track, meaning that it is a single track that makes two complete circuits. Two trains can launch at the same time, appearing to be racing on two separate side by side tracks, when in fact they are each on one half of the same track. Each train returns to a different side of the station after completing one lap. This is exactly how Twisted Colossus works, if you’re familiar with that roller coaster.

Here are some of the features found on West Coast Racers:

• A record-breaking four magnetic launches, including a side-by-side first and second race launch;
  • Four total inversions, including three zero G rolls and a zero G stall;
  • 14 track crossovers and a high-five, for a total of 30 train interactions (15 per lap);
  • Side-by-side airtime hills and overbanked turns; and
  • Speeds up to 55 miles-per-hour as riders cross the finish line

West Coast Racers will be located in a new LA centric urban-themed area where guests will enjoy a high-energy street vibe. Formerly known as Cyclone Bay, this newly themed area is located in the back corner of the park. Here is an aerial view of what the ride will look like once installed:

Let’s take a look at what you can expect on the ride. This ride is being manufactured by Premire Rides, the same company who built Full Throttle. The start of the ride has both “racers” side by side and they will launch down a straightaway at the same time, using the same launch system and type of trains found on Full Throttle:

The launch goes straight into a “high-five” element, where you almost feel like you can high-five the people in the other train:

From there you proceed over the midway on the back side of the park that leads up to Tatsu, next to Ninja and over the top of Totally Kickin’ Chicken:

You then keep banking right, and cross over the midway again, next to Sling Shot and towards the entrance to Apocalypse:

After crossing over the top of the Apocalypse entrance, you line up for a straight shot over the top of the backstage drainage ditch:

In the middle of this straightaway is where you will encounter a second launch:

This second launch leads you into the most twisty and inversion filled part of the ride:

This section of the coaster is directly over the go-kart track below:

The track then banks hard right and back over the midway again:

There are a total of four inversions on this ride:

Upon returning to the station, the trains are now on opposite sides from when they first launched. The train on the right will have just completed its second lap and will be emptied and reloaded with new riders. The train on the left will have only completed one lap and will need to make a quick pit stop before continuing on to the second lap.  The first of its kind “pit stop” experience, narrated by West Coast Customs Founder and CEO, Ryan Friedlinghaus, occurs between the two laps and provides riders an exclusive inside look into the West Coast Customs shop:

“We are thrilled to partner with Six Flags Magic Mountain to create this unprecedented new ride. Throughout my career, I have always thought outside of the box and I love being challenged to build things others can’t. Talk about the ultimate outside of the box challenge — a West Coast Customs-style roller coaster!” – Ryan Friedlinghaus, founder and CEO West Coast Customs

After the pit stop experience, the train will meet up with a train full of new riders on the starting line and another race will commence!

Here is an animated video of what you can expect on the new ride:

That’s it for now. Thank you for reading. If you like this site, please use the social media buttons below to help me spread the word with your friends. You can also follow me on FacebookTwitter, and/or Instagram.

1. Robert Kral

08/29/2018 at 10:44 pm

Great report Coaster Guy!!

2. Sean

08/30/2018 at 6:07 am

Yaaawwwwwnnnn. The all steel version of twisted Colossus.

• Larry

08/30/2018 at 1:09 pm

Agreed.

• John

09/03/2018 at 10:44 pm

Yeah, so?

3. Emma

08/30/2018 at 10:58 pm

Can you post a picture of the bring a friend in dates for magic mountain 2018 please!

08/31/2018 at 12:23 pm

Just log into your online Six Flags account and you’ll see them all right there.

• Emma

08/31/2018 at 6:18 pm

I’m trying to see if it’s worth buying, I haven’t purchased yet. I don’t live out there but I want to try out the rides.

4. Sean

08/31/2018 at 9:06 am

In watching the video several times, I do not see Jet Stream anywhere. Possibly removing it???

• sean

08/31/2018 at 9:08 am

Ok, I just watched it one more time and it is still there. Hopefully they fix all the leaks and maybe get some new boats that don’t fill up with water.

5. Steve J

08/31/2018 at 12:20 pm

Already people hating. It’s amazing to me how many people hate roller coasters. It looks fun. I’m excited for any new coaster. Twisted Colossus is one of my favorites, so I hope it’s the steel version

6. JIMMY TOVAR

09/02/2018 at 7:43 am

What will become of Apocalypse?

09/02/2018 at 7:56 am

Nothing, it will remain the same. They were going to rename it, but since the apocalyptic theme fits in with the grit of the new area (The Underground), they have decided to not even bother with changing the name.

7. Aaron

09/02/2018 at 10:30 am

Looks like it’ll be very fun. Cannot wait to ride, I still enjoy full throttle very much so this will be a great extended version of that.

The capacity is going to be terrible though… If the animation is correct it’ll be just 2/3rds of full throttle capacity.

09/02/2018 at 11:22 am

Capacity will be greater than Full Throttle. There will be two trains on the track simultaneously, opposed to Full Throttle’s one, and a third train unloading/reloading while the others are racing.

8. Nick

09/02/2018 at 11:23 pm

I have some questions I was hoping you could answer.

What’s the difference between a zero G roll and a zero G stall?

What are high-banked turns and how are they different from overbanked turns?

What are over/under near misses?

What are meant by track crossovers?

Thanks.

9. Adam

09/03/2018 at 10:58 am

Hey Kurt. I notice some images and the animation have comfort collars and some images don’t. Is there a confirmation of the restraints on this ride?

• Johnny Roberts

09/03/2018 at 10:42 pm

The park has not decided on the restraint system yet

• Steve J

09/04/2018 at 5:00 pm

Is that true they have not decided on the restraint system? I hope you are correct and there is still hope for Collars. FT and TC don’t need them, not sure why this would. I really hope they decide against them

• Steve J

09/04/2018 at 5:02 pm

Sorry hope for not having collars.

10. dane

09/04/2018 at 4:29 am

Its not that I’m not excited it just feels like six flags is giving up on competing with Cedar Fair. Ever since they put out Fury 325 it feels like Six Flags has just stopped trying to compete.

09/04/2018 at 8:17 pm

Any idea as to the total track length of this ride? I haven’t seen it published anywhere, which is actually kind of odd. I know it isn’t anything record breaking, but it would be interesting to know.

09/04/2018 at 8:23 pm

They mentioned during the announcement that it was only around 1,200’ long on a single pass, but that just doesn’t seem right to me. That would just make it barely longer than Full Throttle after two full cycles.

12. Steve J

09/06/2018 at 1:46 pm

I always enjoy your updates Kurt. From what I understand you had a busy year last year and we haven’t had as many updates as we like. I really hope you have time to visit the park and keep us up-to-date on this one, especially once it starts to go vertical. I don’t mean this as a slam I just mean I enjoy your updates and hope we get a bunch on this one.