Don't Miss

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 17 Jul 2012

By on July 17, 2012

It’s been awhile since I’ve done a general trip report from Six Flags Magic Mountain, so I figured it was time. All of the attention has been on Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom for so long that everything else has been on hold. But now that Lex is dropping people to their doom, let’s take a peek at what else is going on around the park.

The first thing I noticed as I was walking to the entrance was how busy it was. There were so many people that we couldn’t all fit onto the small sidewalk and people had to spill out into the tramway:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

Walking in the street may have been the preferable place to be. With Hurricane Harbor back in operation, the water is again leaking out from behind the fence and it’s just a disgusting muddy soup that nobody wants to walk through. I sure wish the park would do something about this:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

They removed the Discover card member lane from the security check station a few weeks ago, which is very disappointing because it now takes forever to get through the metal detectors. Fortunately they still have the special entrance at the main gate, which is sporting a new banner:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

As soon as I entered the park, I headed straight to the Sky Tower to see the rides parts that everyone has been talking about for the past week or so. Here are the colored support columns, two each of red, blue, yellow, orange, and green:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

There is also a stack of black columns right next to them, along with various connectors:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

Back on 8 Jul 2012, a reader of this site (Thanks, Byron!) posted a rumor that he heard from a park employee. He was told that the park was going to install a new upcharge attraction that would only take a day to build and it would shoot riders skyward in a ball at 100MPH. That information, combined with the parts that we see, leads to the new ride being a Sling Shot from Funtime Group in Australia. Here is a photo of their portable version of the ride and what we can possibly expect:

Funtime Group Sling Shot

Image © Funtime Group

Funtime is the same company that sells the Star Flyer ride that Six Flags has already put into a couple of parks. This is what one of the ball cages looks like that the riders are strapped into for their skyward launch:

Funtime Group Sling Shot

Image © Funtime Group

The ride is powered by a proprietary system of high tension springs:

Funtime Group Sling Shot

Image © Funtime Group

As mentioned by the rumor, the manufacturer’s web site says this particular version of the ride only takes 9 hours to setup. It is unclear why Six Flags would purchase the truck mounted version of a ride that is typically used for traveling carnivals and fairs when a permanent version of the ride is available for amusement parks, but I guess it is possible for them to mount it to a more permanent base. In fact, you can see in the photo above that it is not mounted on a truck bed. Here is a technical drawing from the manufacturer:

Funtime Group Sling Shot

Image © Funtime Group

This ride is supposed to open in late August and the rumored location is where Deja Vu once stood. As you can see, there is lots of room in this area as it isn’t currently being used for anything:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

As I mentioned earlier, it was very busy and I could see from the Sky Tower that all of the toll booth lanes were in operation and full of cars:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

I saw some work being done behind Apocalypse, but it didn’t look like anything special. However, I did spy the old Log Jammer sign. Another prime piece for the museum:

It looked like Cyclone 500 got a new awning:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

Sure enough. When I got home I looked at an old photo (notice the Thrill Shot columns) and the old one was very faded and likely worn out:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

Speaking of worn out, I think it’s about time for a new cover for the Goliath exit ramp. As I was exiting the ride, I couldn’t help but notice all the specks of sunshine on the ground. When I looked up, I realized that the canvas roof was riddled with holes, mostly where the fabric has worn through rubbing up against its frame:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

I was hoping to get some shots of Lex Luthor and Superman together while I was up in the Sky Tower. Even a full 30 minutes after the park opened, Superman was running great but there hadn’t been a single gondola dispatched. The Sky Tower employee even tried calling to see what was going on but couldn’t find anyone who knew:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

I could see there were people lined up outside the queue, so I headed down there:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

As I suspected, the line was out the door:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

It wrapped around the building, down towards Colossus:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

It stretched all the way to the bathrooms next to Ben & Jerry’s, and was still growing:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

I never did find out what had happened, but I did see test drops starting around 11:30 am, just as I was about to leave. Something new I noticed – it looks like it takes one hour to get on the ride from the entry to the queue building:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

I took a picture of this maintenance guy because I was very impressed with him:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

He must have nerves of steel to work that calmly up that high! Don’t drop that wrench:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

Back in early May, Six Flags announced a partnership with Nokia around their Lumia 900 smartphone. The centerpiece of the program was going to be a custom Six Flags application solely available on the Lumia 900. As I entered the park today, I started to see the advertising for that partnership by way of a custom kiosk meant to resemble a giant version of the phone, as well as graphics on the concrete that were half gone:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

To make matters worse, Microsoft recently announced that the Lumia 900 would not be upgradeable to Windows Phone 8, which is due out in a couple of months. People immediately stopped buying the phone due to its sudden obsolescence. In fact, Nokia just slashed the price of the phone yesterday all the way down to $49.99, with the hopes of still trying to salvage some sales. This was a very unfortunately turn of events for Six Flags and this partnership. They have signs all over the park, but the reality is that there won’t likely be very many people with that phone. They should have stuck with the iPhone app they had already developed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

Speaking of marketing, I think in-park ads like this are way too big and in your face. They need to be more subtle as to not turn people off from visiting the park:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

Uh-oh, another fountain head isn’t working right:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

This isn’t directly related to the park, but that new road just off of Magic Mountain Parkway as you’re heading up the hill finally opened to traffic a few weeks ago. I took this shot from the new road as I approached Magic Mountain Parkway:

The building off the new road is called LNR Entrada Gateway Center:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

It looks like the road opened because somebody finally leased space in the new building:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 17 Jul 2012

That’s it for now. I hope you enjoyed the update. Please leave a comment if you have any questions or have something to add.

1. SFMMCrazy

07/17/2012 at 11:35 pm

I have heard form sources that Full Throttle is the name for the SlingShot not the coaster Magic Mountain is getting next year. It’s Quite a surprise!

• Andrew

07/17/2012 at 11:40 pm

Really? Then that classified survey from a while back was very misleading.

Will there be a coaster next year as well?

• SFMMCrazy

07/18/2012 at 12:32 am

Yes there will be a coaster next year.

07/17/2012 at 11:44 pm

Actually, that name fits either ride. But now that the slingshot ride is called that, maybe the coaster will be called Pedal to the Metal or something like that.

07/18/2012 at 8:10 am

Ever since that leaked as the name of the 2013 coaster, I’ve said I suspected a red herring. Something just didn’t feel right.

• Ryan O

07/18/2012 at 10:16 pm

Hahaha, if that’s true then Six Flags completely misled all of us! I always thought Full Throttle was too cliche of a name for a coaster anyway.

2. Andrew

07/17/2012 at 11:39 pm

You got me in your picture of the Lex Luthor line. You could see the side of my head in the dark by the entrance door. They held everyone outside and I was the first person in line. They let us into the queue building around 11:20 and we got on the ride at 11:30. They were just experiencing difficulties and they were installing a new mechanism for the entrance and exit gates. Now they don’t have the lock and key anymore. Now it is electronic with buttons to unlock the gates. The music is already not timed correctly any more. Also, Goliath was down for about 2 hours this afternoon and they made everyone exit the line, and Roarimg Rapids was closed all day for some reason.

07/18/2012 at 8:12 am

I still don’t understand why they have to lock those gates. Why can’t they just close them? There is a ride op standing right there the entire time.

• Andrew

07/18/2012 at 6:46 pm

I also thought that was strange. I also only saw it break down once during the day. The wait was about 40 minutes all day.

• Neil

07/18/2012 at 11:17 pm

I noticed that they have locks on all gates that go into track area. Maybe it has to do with that, like there has to be a lock because its so close to the track.

• michael

07/24/2012 at 3:33 pm

i work at sixflags and the reason they lock the gate is because its in superman track area that why

07/26/2012 at 7:53 pm

I don’t understand. That entire ride, queue area, and exit path are all in the Superman track area. How does padlocking the gate provide any more protection than just closing the gate? I’m thinking it’s just to ensure that absolutely nobody can accidentally enter that area during a drop and be crushed by a gondola.

3. Zac

07/17/2012 at 11:52 pm

Did six flags release anything about the sling ride? anyone have a url? id love to check it out.

07/18/2012 at 8:13 am

I’ve added a link to their web site in the post.

07/17/2012 at 11:55 pm

Just a couple of observations:

That new intersection is going to create havoc on Magic Mountain Parkway when the light turns red to let one car out of the business park.

About the HUGE!!! advertising—agreed. Smaller ads, fine. But ad wrapped coaster trains and giant signs like on the bridge to X2 are way too much. Parks need sponsors to help generate cash (even Disney does it), but in a more subtle way. In the old days, a simple “[attraction name] sponsored by [product name]” was more than sufficient.

Putting that slingshot ride in Deja Vu’s spot seems like a waste of space. That spot combined with the area cleared for what is now Road Runner Express could fit a small (but still good) coaster. I can understand that the upcharge ride may not fit the old Thrill Shot space, but there are other places where it might fit in better. Perhaps the park just wants to group its upcharge rides in one area.

Goliath is 12 years old. It is indeed time to replace the cover over the exit walkway.

07/18/2012 at 8:18 am

I agree with everything you said except the location of the Sling Shot. It looks like it is the truck-mounted portable model, so I suspect this might not be a long term installation. My guess is that they are just putting this back there to try and generate some traffic (and cash) to that corner of the park until they put in their next big attraction. We know where the 2013 coaster is going so I bet that we’ll see a major transformation of Cyclone Bay in 2014, including another new coaster, and the Sling Shot will go away.

5. Someone

07/17/2012 at 11:58 pm

Well that’s a shame if Full Throttle is not going to be a roller coaster :(

ANyone, what would be a good roller coaster to ride for a first timer to the park?

07/18/2012 at 8:23 am

It depends if you are new to roller coasters or just this park. If you’re new to roller coasters, start with Gold Rusher. For a great wood coaster, try out Apocalypse. If you want an extreme experience, check out X2, Viper, Batman, Scream, or The Riddler’s Revenge. For a more thrilling coaster experience that doesn’t go upside-down, take a ride on Goliath.

• Someone

07/20/2012 at 4:03 am

Thanks!

• Ryan O

07/18/2012 at 10:21 pm

If you plan to spend the whole day there, then you should be able to get on almost every major coaster. If you’re a thrillseeker, then X2 or Tatsu is a great one to do first. Or if you’re one of the less daring type, it might be good to start with the smaller (but still exciting) rides and work your way up.

• Someone

07/20/2012 at 4:03 am

Thanks !

6. Nathan

07/18/2012 at 7:06 am

If they are putting in a sling shot, then why did they remove Thrill Shot?????

07/18/2012 at 8:26 am

I’m thinking it was either a maintenance issue or it just didn’t generate enough money to pay for itself. It’s quite possible that the new Sling Shot ride could be a lessee that the park is simply renting out space to until they decide to do something in that corner of the park.

• Josh

07/19/2012 at 8:39 pm

The Thrill Shot type ride they had at Cedar Point collapsed over the winter, if I remember correctly. It was a maintenance nightmare, and when it actually was open very few people ever rode it. Funny enough, it opened in 2001 along with X and Deja Vu.

7. Nicholous

07/18/2012 at 7:37 am

Speaking of museums, why did they take the one out in the sky tower?

07/18/2012 at 8:28 am

I heard that the pieces that were on display were being ruined by guests handling them. I’ve also heard that it will return once the park invests in proper display cases so that nobody can touch the museum pieces.

8. Pingback: July 18, 2012 – Daily Brief | SCVTalk.com

9. Jimmy Tovar

07/18/2012 at 10:08 am

Awesome update. Almost felt like I was actually at the park. Thanks Kurt.

10. Abstractability

07/18/2012 at 10:20 am

Thanks Kurt! It looks awfully busy for a Wednesday. I’m planning to go on Wed, Aug 15th… Hopefully crowds will have died down by then.

07/18/2012 at 10:36 am

It should be better. Most of the local schools should be back in session by then.

11. Scott

07/18/2012 at 12:59 pm

Thanks for the cool update and photos. I live about 5 minutes from the park and drive by all the time and still I learn stuff here before anyone in the community mentions it.

12. Gregg

07/18/2012 at 1:33 pm

Great update Kurt.

I also agree with you about the Slingshot. And I’ll be thrilled if this is Full Throttle and it’s not the new coaster in Log Jammer’s spot. Full Throttle doesn’t fit the theme in that area.

Still interesting if it goes where Deja Vu was since one of the survey questions regarding Full Throttle had to do with a restaurant re-theme and we all assumed it was for Mooseburger.

13. Misael

07/18/2012 at 1:33 pm

So i watched the fireworks show on Saturday and i was blown away!!! Jus came here and posted this randomly

14. Thomas

07/18/2012 at 1:38 pm

The Discover security lane is still there, it just depends what day you go. I was there on July 07 and it was there. They even let us in 15 minutes before the park opened so we could get to the new ride.

07/18/2012 at 7:34 pm

Are you talking about the lane through the metal detectors? The last three times I’ve went, it wasn’t there.

15. Thomas

07/18/2012 at 1:40 pm

Lex Luthor has already been having problems and has been down many times. Even on opening day it was down after about 90 minutes.

The lines will be long for awhile. Not only does the ride break a lot, it is a low capacity ride. On opening day, with managers and many employees present they were cycling through on an average of 2.5 minutes. Doing the math, if both side are full, that is 16 riders at a time (8 each side). That’s 24 cycles an hour for a total of 384 riders. AND, they don’t always send the gondolas full.

• Evan

07/18/2012 at 3:14 pm

They’ve been doing pretty good trying to send full gondolas. The ride-ops have been moving quickly and efficiently trying to get as many rides for the guests before the ride breaks down on them. I’d give Lex’s Ride-Ops an A- if I were able to grade them.

07/18/2012 at 7:39 pm

I was there for a few hours today and was introduced to one of the park’s mechanics. He had been working on Superman all day and it still wasn’t fixed as he was ending his shift. He said that Lex has had issues ever since it opened. Even as we spoke, there were two mechanics perched up on top of the tower trying to figure out why the gondolas weren’t always dropping. Their working theory is that the gondolas aren’t quite getting high enough for the release mechanism to work properly. Not sure how it’s supposed to work, but that’s what he said.

• Jason

07/18/2012 at 10:52 pm

You probably saw me stuck up on Lex today then…. haha. I got on in about 10 minutes through the Single Rider line, then was on the first of the string of stuck gondolas on the west side of the tower. It happened several more times while I was hanging out in the vicinity, including the next loaded gondola after my stuck, then they finally closed it while they worked at the top of the tower.

16. Pingback: Neu 2013: Multi-Launch-Coaster @ Six Flags Magic Mountain - Seite 2

17. Myles

07/18/2012 at 2:01 pm

well the Six Flags page on FB did have a question post saying “what name should our new coaster for 2013 be?” and they asked another question saying what color. the top names were “Super Nova” and “Cataclysm” ant the top color was blue. so maybe it’s for the coaster at Magic Mountain.

• Nicholas

07/18/2012 at 11:56 pm

Where’d you see that, i cant find it! lol

18. Will P.

07/18/2012 at 2:49 pm

Very good update as always Kurt.

As far as the poster and his or her comment just above, and relating to a New Coaster idea, I’d go with the name Anaconda. I’d make it either a Dark Green, or camoflauge color to blend into the exsisting Lanscape where Log Jammer was. Then on the otherhand, you also have Viper which is named after a snake, so nevermind.

Oh shucks, Oh well, I tried.

19. Caleb

07/18/2012 at 2:52 pm

Kind 0f sad to hear it’s going into the Deja Vu spot. I feel like the could have squeezed something way better into there :(
    Also sad to hear Lex is having so many problems, I was gonna visit the mountain next week…

20. Bob winek

07/18/2012 at 3:17 pm

So if lexs lines are that big are the lines not as big for x green lantern and tatsu cause im going tomorrow and wanted to know what to expect
    So excited for first ride on lex Luther

• Myles

07/18/2012 at 7:23 pm

No :/ they’re still ridiculous.

07/18/2012 at 7:41 pm

I was at the park today and every single ride I tried to get on had a crazy long wait. Well, at least an hour, which is longer than I’m willing to wait. I must be getting old! ;-)

21. Byron Lopez

07/18/2012 at 7:26 pm

People there is a coaster for 2013 that same employee told me about 2013 plans I won’t say much because I don’t want to spoil

07/18/2012 at 7:42 pm

Come on, Byron. Either you spill the beans and get the credit or someone else will. Either way, I’m sure the plans will likely surface before an official announcement is made by the park.

• JIMMY TOVAR

07/19/2012 at 7:22 am

Yes Byron, Do tell do tell!!!

22. Byron Lopez

07/18/2012 at 10:24 pm

What I will say is they give a lot of clues on six flags tv the coasters name will most likely end in force she had told me the name but I forgot the first part but I do remember it finishing in force that’s if they don’t decide to change the name at the last day sort of like mr six dance coaster and the coaster for sure have a record breaking

• Jason

07/18/2012 at 10:49 pm

It’s an ad for Full Force energy ‘shots’. The commercial ends with “Full Force, now that would be a good name for a coaster wouldn’t it…”

• Nicholas

07/18/2012 at 11:59 pm

have a record breaking what? hahah

23. Mrod

07/19/2012 at 2:01 am

I heard the new coaster is gonna be a giga(over 300ft) I’m hoping for a millennium force kind of ride, but my co-worker pointed out that the amount of space available where log jammer was isn’t big enough. She thinks it’s gonna be a really tall Mr.Freeze, which I hope not. But then again the area behind moose burger has been cleared out so maybe the new coaster will have a big layout. I also did hear its gonna be record breaking.

24. Kyle

07/19/2012 at 6:41 am

Come on now, we all know that the new coaster is going to be the Big Spin from Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. The parts are just being painted in Mexico, and then they will be shipped up to Six Flags Magic Mountain. And the record they are going to break is how many low capacity rides they can put in over three years time. ;)

Ok, now it’s time to be serious (Give me a sec, as I put on my serious face) and say that the new 2013 coaster, in my opinion, is going to be a Intamin or Premier launching coaster. My best guesses for what records the ride could break are: A – The worlds tallest inversion. B – The tallest roller coaster in the world. Or C – The longest coaster in the world. Either way, it seems that it will be very fun to see what parts come in, and see all the ideas people have of what type of coaster it will be, and what manuevers it will do.

I have said my silly thing for today, and my two cents about the 2013 coaster.
    -Kyle MacPetrie

25. Bob winek

07/19/2012 at 10:50 pm

I saw pieces for the full throttle ride being delivered looked like the little seat thingy
    All so got to ride on first ride of the day for lex Luther
    Broke down about 4 or 5 times

26. Bob winek

07/19/2012 at 11:05 pm

I also saw things of cable or bungee or whatever it uses
    Yesterday on lex Luther it got stuck at the very top for over 30 minutes
    Not like to be those people

27. Jarod

07/20/2012 at 1:57 pm

I think the new coaster will be a Intamin launching coaster. They just installed superman at discovery kingdom. My guess is they will try Intamin for Magic Mountain. Plus some of the rides are already made by Intamin, it would make sense to have Intamin design there next ride also.

07/20/2012 at 2:12 pm

Actually, Superman: Ultimate Flight at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is from Premier Rides, not Intamin. However, Intamin did build Green Lantern: First Flight at Six Flags Magic Mountain in 2011 and Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom in 2012. It’s not unheard of for a park to sign a multi-year deal with a manufacturer for new rides, so having Intamin also build the 2013 coaster is not an unrealistic guess.

28. Andrew

07/20/2012 at 6:10 pm

Roaring Rapids has been closed all week. Do you know why?

07/22/2012 at 3:05 pm

No clue.

29. Myles

07/20/2012 at 9:42 pm

welp. Cedar Point is getting close to announcing their 2013 coaster according to their facebook page. I can’t wait until SFMM makes them jealous with their announcement!

30. Giovanny C.

07/21/2012 at 10:56 am

I think that they should add a people’s mover because form the gold rusher to the ninja that upward hill is painful so how about adding a people’s mover so we won’t have to suffer. Is the slingshot ride for this 2012 season or next 2013 season?

07/21/2012 at 7:55 pm

From what I’m hearing, it supposed to go up around the end of August of this year.

• Giovanny C.

07/23/2012 at 9:09 am

I was at the park yesterday and it was very packed roaring rapids was outside, tatsu was by roaring rapids exit, x2 was all the way on the bridge. Viper was all the way past the entrance, apocalypse was a 2 hour wait, ninja was all the way till the entrance, revolution was down stairs about a 1 1/2 hour wait. It was packed a lot!! Lex Luthor had a 2 hour wait. Any news on the new coaster? And still great trip report!

31. Byron Lopez

07/22/2012 at 12:01 am

Cedar point is getting a wing coaster similar to x flight at six flags great america

32. Byron Lopez

07/22/2012 at 4:00 pm

I really love sfmm but I can see why most people love cedar point better as thrill capital of the world better than sfmm because sfmm does not waste any money in making their park better I mean they had thrill shot and the metro SBNO for many years the have many buildings that are just getting rotten and not being used the close the park when it rains when it’s the winter they have most of their attractions cLosed and they have a lot of empty spaces that are currently not being used with the exception of log jammer and dejavu what are they going to do with these following spots thrill shot former location flashbacks former location magic pagoda former location dragons loading stations crazy Bertelsmann platforms and many empty spaces so hopefully the park will begin putting more effort in the park and not only worry about rollocoasters

07/22/2012 at 4:05 pm

Wow…you do know what a period is, right? ;-)

33. Byron Lopez

07/22/2012 at 4:02 pm

My mistake misspelled berrels

07/22/2012 at 4:05 pm

Still misspelled it. It’s Crazy Barrels.

34. Mike

07/23/2012 at 6:31 pm

Yesterday Sunday along with free friend day, radio station Jack FM 93.1 was giving away pairs of tickets starting at 7am at COC. I saw lot of people wearing the free shirts Jack FM gave out with the tickets. Of course the best ride of mine offered ERT (the parking lot Tram) and was fun for those few that had window seats.

07/24/2012 at 6:27 am

Funny guy! :-)

35. EVAN ILIC

07/23/2012 at 8:21 pm

will there be an announcement for the slingshot because if its coming in late august they should have announced it by now

07/24/2012 at 6:29 am

If it is indeed a Sling Shot, I wouldn’t expect anything too formal to be announced. It’ll probably go up and then a casual mention made of it. However, it is possible that it will be included with the big 2013 announcement as well.

36. Bob winek

07/23/2012 at 10:37 pm

Mike what is your last name
    I have many friends named mike Wondering if your one

37. Myles

07/26/2012 at 8:03 pm

I just received a newsletter from 6 flags magic mountain at the end of the newsletter it says “watch out for our next issue august 8!” Do they say this at the end of every newsletter?

07/26/2012 at 8:08 pm

Yup, they sure do.

• Myles

07/27/2012 at 1:37 am

Aww poop -___-

38. Pingback: More Sling Shot Pieces Arrive At Six Flags Magic Mountain |

39. Christie

10/29/2012 at 9:59 am

I went Oct 27 and out was so busy. I was only able to ride 3 rides. Does it get less busy in the winter months?

10/29/2012 at 10:02 am

Absolutely. Go next Sunday and you should be able to ride just about anything you want to with little to no wait.